Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saint Freak posted:

Super Mario Odyssey?

sorry but that's god eater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_7pTl83-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looper posted:

enjoyment and cool screenshots

I guess as long as I'm having fun I shouldn't question it

lol who am i kidding i question and overthink literally everything

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

God Eater?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overthink this

no, god eater

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Real talk God Eater's 'oh this monster has literally a single spot on its body you can hurt it with your weapontype' is the most annoying thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i had fun with god eater for 20 hours but i felt like it was just continuing to be the same thing forever without much variety. and i really like the music but they pretty much just make the composer use the exact same style for every game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Master Mode in BotW jacks all the enemies up one rank, adds floating island ambushes, and that's it, right? nothing other than making the game fundamentally more of a slog :v:?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That and make enemies health regen.

There's a Lynel on the plateau as well, dunno about anything else.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Macaluso posted:

I mean... hacking itself is sort of a fun thing the first few times you do it. But it's always the same handful of levels every time. Hacking got as boring as the combat did. The shoot em up stuff wasn't particularly fun in this game whether it be the hacking or the flight segments.

I finished route B and honestly the story stuff just wasn't really worth playing through the game again, the only upside is that I was able to skip all the cutscenes I had already seen and I just ran past literally every enemy that wasn't a boss I was forced to fight. The final fight was MISERABLE. I was stupid while doing it and got killed outright twice during the final phase and the final phase goes on FOREVER since you lose the ability to hack and all you have at your disposal is your robot thing. I also got my monkey's paw wish from earlier because you do eventually control one of the robots during the factory segment, which was just as much of a slog as the first time around. Arguably worse because you have to run backwards on those stupid conveyor belts so those parts end up going VERY slow, and even slower cause you have to avoid the crusher things.

I started route C, saw all the objectives I had to do pop up on my minimap and was like "I can't do this anymore" and just stopped playing. I probably won't go back to it. I might watch a youtube video of it or something so I can see how the rest of the story plays out but I just didn't find the combat and gameplay in general fun at all.

This is probably one of the bigger disappointment in a game I've had in a while. It looked really cool and interesting, it had a ton of hype and positive reviews around it, I liked the character design on 2B a lot. But I just ended up kind of... hating it? I was also surprised it was done by Platinum because the combat felt really bad to me, but it was very similar to Bayonetta and I LOVED Bayonetta's combat. The one single thing in the game that made me go "holy poo poo!" was the twist perspective change when you start route B and... well then it's pretty quickly taken away from you

It also probably didn't help that I came to this RIGHT after 100%ing Mario which was a drat near perfect experience

Keep playing, dummy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Prey, not entirely sold on the ending and it seemed to get extra buggy as the game went on but even if I only liked 95% of it, it was still one of the best games of the year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Keep playing, dummy

Hmm nah

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Siren kicks more the rear end the more it reveals itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4D-k8VdF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If people aren't enjoying a game anymore, they shouldn't be expected to play it until they hit some magical plot element just for the sake of experiencing it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, it took longer than usual for this thread to turn on Nier A. It's still always weird to me when that happens and it pretty much always seems to happen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man, it took longer than usual for this thread to turn on Nier A. It's still always weird to me when that happens and it pretty much always seems to happen

I think most people still like it, it just wasn't for me :shobon:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i only finished nier:a because my boyfriend said the ending was phenomenal and made him cry but gently caress i was just so bored

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[one person doesn't like nier and everyone says to keep at it]

like sand in an hourglass........... how the mighty (nier) have fallen...........

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ometeotl posted:

If people aren't enjoying a game anymore, they shouldn't be expected to play it until they hit some magical plot element just for the sake of experiencing it.

Especially in this case since route C and especially the ending of the game draws much of its power from how much the player was invested in the gameplay and story leading up to that point, it's not going to magically convert someone who is skeptical and tired of the game already. Like I would say maybe if they already beat route B to at least get to the title card, but eh.

People can dislike NieR, I can dislike BOTW, the world keeps turning

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People can hate NieR, I can hate BOTW, the world keeps turning

Yea but they're wrong

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

For the few minutes I played HZD earlier I kept trying to turn the PS4 controller like gyro aiming was a thing

BotW has messed me up

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't remember if it's the end of b or the start of c but the point where 9s starts going insane up to the point where he puts a dead 2b's hand on his cheek before ripping the hand off to use as his own is the best part of the game. also the rest of it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

i don't remember if it's the end of b or the start of c but the point where 9s starts going insane up to the point where he puts a dead 2b's hand on his cheek before ripping the hand off to use as his own is the best part of the game. also the rest of it

That's like more than halfway through C, near the end?

I guess you can change up some of the order of things in C.

I really liked how you could build a fun slide for the kid robots in Pascal's village, where this kind of fetch quest could not be any kind of ironic foreshadowing at all :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

[one person doesn't like nier and everyone says to keep at it]

like sand in an hourglass........... how the mighty (nier) have fallen...........

It wasn't so much the one person not liking it but everyone just sort of agreeing that the combat was bad with no real argument made by anyone that I saw. I mean the combat is mostly what you do in that game. I liked the game but I also like the combat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's like more than halfway through C, near the end?

I guess you can change up some of the order of things in C.

I really liked how you could build a fun slide for the kid robots in Pascal's village, where this kind of fetch quest could not be any kind of ironic foreshadowing at all :)

hmmm i will change my starting point to. "you want to **** 2b, don't you"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It wasn't so much the one person not liking it but everyone just sort of agreeing that the combat was bad with no real argument made by anyone that I saw. I mean the combat is mostly what you do in that game. I liked the game but I also like the combat.

Okay but where's your argument for it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

Okay but where's your argument for it?

I think being like Bayonetta but not quite as good isn't really that bad of a thing. I mean, what combat is as good as Bayonetta? It's still really fast and dynamic with an interesting twist brought in by the pods and hacking and I really like how customizable it was to how you wanted to play. I do agree that the enemies mostly didn't really seem to be programmed well enough to put up much of a fight and let you fully explore some of the nuances in the system but at worst it was in lower section of the very best hack n slash combat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Master Mode in BotW jacks all the enemies up one rank, adds floating island ambushes, and that's it, right? nothing other than making the game fundamentally more of a slog :v:?

It also functions as a second save file if someone else in your household wants to play

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The combat is simple and functional. Disappointing because it's coming from Platinum, but perfectly fine.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/932040808039157761

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Nier and BotW were both games I loved this year while HZD was kind of a disappointment. Killing robo dinos was fun for a little while but I couldn't get invested at all in the story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I think being like Bayonetta but not quite as good isn't really that bad of a thing. I mean, what combat is as good as Bayonetta?

*bravely stepping onto a podium*

god hand

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Prey, not entirely sold on the ending and it seemed to get extra buggy as the game went on but even if I only liked 95% of it, it was still one of the best games of the year.

that's just staying true to its system shock 2 roots

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

I think being like Bayonetta but not quite as good isn't really that bad of a thing. I mean, what combat is as good as Bayonetta? It's still really fast and dynamic with an interesting twist brought in by the pods and hacking and I really like how customizable it was to how you wanted to play. I do agree that the enemies mostly didn't really seem to be programmed well enough to put up much of a fight and let you fully explore some of the nuances in the system but at worst it was in lower section of the very best hack n slash combat.

It's really responsive, super well animated combat in a genre where people still gently caress it up. I haven't played Yakuza beyond 0 and Kiwami, but holy poo poo I hope that they eventually learned that you need to be able to cancel out of the majority of your attacks in some way as well as be able to change direction mid combo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh unless I'm not understanding something you can totally change direction mid combo in Yakuza games, sometimes it does it when you don't want it to even. It also sometimes has move cancelling but in typical Yakuza fashion it tends to be an unlockable skill and depends on what style/who you're using.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 19, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yakuza's moment-to-moment combat feels pretty bad. The heat animations look cool but everything else feels pretty unresponsive when it's not utterly repetitive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno I've played like 250 hours of Yakuza games this year and I never really got sick of the combat, though specific fights were super frustrating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I loved everything about Yakuza except the terrible combat which is all you do in that game so I had to stop playing it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Anyone tried Hand of Fate 2?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I loved everything about Yakuza except the terrible combat which is all you do in that game so I had to stop playing it.

Yakuza games on easy never wear out their welcome. Normal should be called "not responsible for broken square button" and hard "japanese unemployed"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Realtalk, the karaoke minigame is more fun to play than any of the fights

• Locked thread