Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really want to sound like a gaming hipster and/or greybeard, but I buy very few AAA/big studio games these days it seems. I've completely lost interest in the CoD games since whatever modern warfare had the airport level. I guess uh...the first titanfall was my last AAA multiplayer game? Maybe? I don't remember. Getting Shadow of War apparently breaks this streak I've been running for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My point was DLC isn’t the future because it’s been the norm for years.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

My point was DLC isn’t the future because it’s been the norm for years.

My point was the way DLC has taken over the way games are created and distributed incomplete is the way micro transactions will take over in the next several years (the future I was talking about).

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
MP map pack DLC grinds my gears so hardcore, its the worst.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

#occupyEA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

MP map pack DLC grinds my gears so hardcore, its the worst.

Right. For PC games that aren't one of the few everyone's flocking to they just devastate the playerbase.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Any MP game that has DLC maps is doomed and not worth playing so that kinda solves the problem anyways.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Any MP game that has DLC maps is doomed and not worth playing so that kinda solves the problem anyways.

Battlefield is far from doomed and it has DLC maps in spades.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Battlefield (I can only speak for 3+4) also did it basically as expansion packs. You got 1-2 weapons, 0-2 vehicles, and 4-6 maps on a quarterly (?) basis. That's not really all that bad, all things considered.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Halo 2 just did fine and I'm sure it wasn't the first to but it had dlc maps

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most games with DLC do fine. That’s why DLC is in almost every single AAA game now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I bought Endless Space 2 since it was on sale.

It's too goddamn complicated, even for a 4X. Like gently caress me guys, it looks great but tone down the UI a bit. I played it for 15 minutes on THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS and every time I was like '...nah'

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
DLC is parceled our expansion packs as we knew them from the 90s/early 2000s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

boop the snoot posted:

I played MW3 a little bit but mostly stuck to Black Ops.

I didn’t play advanced or infinite because it started getting too out there.

WW2 is pretty good if you liked Black Ops.

Honestly AW was actually pretty ok and deserved a bit of credit. But I also liked MW3 so I guess my opinion is moot

My expectations are low but I really hope titanfall 3 is more of the same and doesn’t go completely EA.

DLC/micro-transactions aside we’re really at the peak of gaming. Just a sea of games and everything is open world—arguably not a good thing—thus taking much longer. Can’t wait to dust off HZD and get into Frozen Wilds. I guess my point is it’s nice to spend $48 on a game via amazon and then sell it at a $10 loss rather or such, then buy my time sinks digitally. Gaming is much cheaper in that regard. Still not sure why there’s no deal at all ever for going digital and I know it won’t change

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 19, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I bought Endless Space 2 since it was on sale.

It's too goddamn complicated, even for a 4X. Like gently caress me guys, it looks great but tone down the UI a bit. I played it for 15 minutes on THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS and every time I was like '...nah'

Downloading ES2 as I type this since it's free for this weekend. I really liked Endless Legend, is it even more obtuse than that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Downloading ES2 as I type this since it's free for this weekend. I really liked Endless Legend, is it even more obtuse than that?

I didn't play Endless Legend, so I can't comment on it directly. But compared to other, recent 4X games I've played (Stellaris, Civ V) it's like insanely more complicated. And I'm not sure that it's a good thing or not, just the fact that on several different attempts I've decided I don't want to play something that complicated.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Download is due to finish in a few minutes from now. Will report back momentarily...

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
CD Projekt Red does DLC right.

Oh, massive world with Witcher 3? Have some free DLC with armor and poo poo and some small missions.

First paid DLC: a good size, plenty to do and amazing story.

Second paid DLC: Hold my beer.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Download is due to finish in a few minutes from now. Will report back momentarily...

Yeah, no. This is almost EVE-level UI sperging. I was pretty satisfied with myself with learning the nuances of Endless Legend but this is a bit much. Uninstalling.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

Oh, massive world with Witcher 3? Have some free DLC with armor and poo poo and some small missions.

Oh yeah. Blood and Wine is basically a game unto itself.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CDPR is an anomaly in the system

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Vasudus posted:

Battlefield (I can only speak for 3+4) also did it basically as expansion packs. You got 1-2 weapons, 0-2 vehicles, and 4-6 maps on a quarterly (?) basis. That's not really all that bad, all things considered.

Yea it's the fact that it splits the playerbase that is the issue. I don't believe BF3/4 ever got the option to mix and match DLC map packs either. Both those games, and BF1, were/are going strong and I actually didn't mind buying new maps and weapons, it just sucked that the playerbase gets divided. On less popular games that can definitely hurt you in the long term

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea it's the fact that it splits the playerbase that is the issue. I don't believe BF3/4 ever got the option to mix and match DLC map packs either. Both those games, and BF1, were/are going strong and I actually didn't mind buying new maps and weapons, it just sucked that the playerbase gets divided. On less popular games that can definitely hurt you in the long term

Completely legitimate issue, rooted I think in the fact that gamers are largely either cheap or poor (or both) and that DLC tends to come out on cycles that aren't attributed to increased disposable income (christmas, tax returns)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Completely legitimate issue, rooted I think in the fact that gamers are largely either cheap or poor (or both) and that DLC tends to come out on cycles that aren't attributed to increased disposable income (christmas, tax returns)

Gamers being cheap or poor doesn’t entirely match with marketing data. In fact, gaming is fairly expensive.

You know why no one advertises towards college students? It’s because they’re loving broke. Gamers as a whole fall into 25+ in terms of age.

The push for 4K and 400-500 dollar consoles exists because people who play video games are more or less bad with money or have a lot of disposable income.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any of you guys running a Destiny clan or participating in a Goon one that isn't full of assholes?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Any of you guys running a Destiny clan or participating in a Goon one that isn't full of assholes?

I just found some random one on the Bungie.net forums. I don’t participate or have anything to do with the clan but if the clan’s active you’ll get 3-5 powerful engrams every week for poo poo your clan mates do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
PUBG is basically unplayable tonight. Watched some dude fill up the kill feed with M249 headshots. Then a speedhacker took down half our squad with a melee weapon.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

PUBG is basically unplayable tonight. Watched some dude fill up the kill feed with M249 headshots. Then a speedhacker took down half our squad with a melee weapon.

Huh. Glad I'm not playing tonight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

not caring here posted:

I feel like Lair of the Shadow Broker needs a shout out because it owned like gently caress

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just saw a friend share a throwback video about Theme Hospital on Facebook, and how it's coming back in 2018. Got pretty stoked, but the trailer kept getting more underwhelming with every passing second. It goes "IT'S LIKE THAT GAME FROM 1997, BUT WITH BETTER GRAPHICS" and then shows 2005-tier graphics with none of the cuteness the sim games had. At the end of the trailer, it became almost painfully obvious that it's some small-time company with a quick entry-exit strategy on turning a quick buck based on people's nostalgia with zero effort on development and marketing, with pretty much 100% viral advertising.

:smith:

/edit:

I mean, I'm allowing for the fact that I'm completely mistaken, and there's something genuine behind it, but that trailer just made it feel that way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

PC or PS4? Hell if you want free engrams you’re welcome to join regardless. Clan 3 on discord. I’ll be on later with a link if you wanna join. We always have 2-3 spots or so

The Destiny 2 playerbase has dropped off really hard. Not really a bad thing, because I’m all about the exotics D2 throws at you as compared to early D1. I mean that was just garbage all around. Suffice it to say everyone is max LL and bored of the same strikes and one raid

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh drat looks like 1yr PS+ is $40 digital at amazon :eyepop:

https://smile.amazon.com/Year-PlayS...redirect=1&th=1

-edit looks like limit of 2

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 19, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
bored enough to hop back into pubg i think

gently caress, mein reflexes

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone in here plays Rainbow 6 Seige? Been interested in it for a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Not regularly but I've put some time into it and play a ton at LAN parties every quarter or so. The game is in much better shape than when it released and has a very healthy community on PC.

Gameplay-wise, it's really demanding. TTK is super low and you will have many deaths where you get shot in the 4 pixels of heel that happen to be peeking around a corner.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

i've been tempted to buy it for a while for ps4 but i'm not sure how big the multiplayer community is. but apparently they release maps for free or something, which is a big plus.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

boop the snoot posted:

i've been tempted to buy it for a while for ps4 but i'm not sure how big the multiplayer community is. but apparently they release maps for free or something, which is a big plus.

R6 is super popular. One of the few games that’s grown into a larger player base.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got that Killer is dead game off humble bundle. its fuckin weird

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

I have it and have played it a good bit, but not at all recently. Hit me up if you see me in Discord and I’ll play with you. It really is maddening dying after getting shot in the big toe a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Your Battle Buddy posted:

you need fidel.

man I havent played JA1 in probably since the 90s. JA2 is one of my go tos though, love that game.

I wish they could just remake the game with better sprites/animation/resolution and not gently caress up everything else like they do on all these others.

I recently gave Back in Action another shot with some big mod, and tbh it wasnt the worst game i've played.

They tried with a game called 7.62. http://store.steampowered.com/app/289890/762_High_Calibre/
Back then it was so riddled with bugs it was unplayable. Steam reviews now seem pretty decent, so I imagine they fixed it.