Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bhodi posted:

is there a company who uses an adjective in their name that isn't in reality the exact opposite

like, a single company

lieberries dont lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bhodi posted:

not when optimally served, no. that is, still warm right out of the oven. close one though

Donuts don't come from the oven.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

power botton posted:

Walmart doesnt even sell wall stuff

yeah they do, you can buy like, paint and decorations and picture frames

though i guess you can't buy literal walls

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway i visited the intel FPGA site just now because we're talking about it in the gpgpu thread and came across this blog post:

https://systemdesign.altera.com/securing-iot-devices-can-be-never-ending/

of which the opening bit is the best part:

quote:

“Mommy, Daddy … Why is the sky blue?”

As you scramble for an answer that lies somewhere between a discussion of refraction in gasses and “Oh, look—a doggie!” you already know the response to whatever you say will be a horrifyingly sincere

“But why?”

And so on, until your patience lies in tatters at your feet. If you can capture that feeling, welcome to the world of Internet of Things (IoT) security, where no measure is ever quite enough, and no answer is ever unqualified.

then it gets into cost/benefit analysis and does a bit too much handwavey "well you have to make tradeoffs" and "IoT can't be completely secure" for my taste but eh

e: actually it's a pretty realistic article now that I got further into it, though it's not really anything anyone here doesn't already know

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 18, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ate all the Oreos posted:

of which the opening bit is the best part:

thats an old louis ck bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlV49RDlLE&t=79s

i wish he wasnt a gross rear end in a top hat

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

microsoft is actually a p big company

their software is big too

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

very small and also soft.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Acer Pilot posted:

very small and also soft.

i believe you mean very michael, and soft

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google has taken to telling me that traffic on my commute is heavy "as usual"

true, but depressing. need I be reminded this is the usual state ?

I got a good chuckle first time I noticed 'as usual' but now I'm all 'challenge accepted' and try to beat their estimates which sometimes I can do and sometimes I gently caress myself but it does make commuting more interesting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gamify your commute with this one simple trick from a mom, big data hates her

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
dang open aws storage buckets
https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/931675655967772672

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya vickerysec released that on friday, the samples were doing the rounds on security twitter and this is after amazon changed it so s3 open buckets were explicitly labeled and emailed warnings

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

google search:
inurl:hp/device/this.LCDispatcher?nav=hp.Print

of course what's happening there is that these are not just printers exposed to the internet when this is supposed to be only intranet facing, these are even printers exposed with proper domain names assigned to them for some reason. google doesn't find the ones that are just a plain ip address so easily

"Note: Only ’print-ready’ (*.ps, *.pdf, *.prn ) or printer firmware (*.rfu) files will be accepted and processed.
Select the file to upload from your hard disk or network file server. "

:v:

with the help of rfus, ping the printer

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://mobile.twitter.com/el33th4xor/status/931972245370605568

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

is the “American opsec is poo poo” thread still around?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EndlessRagdoll posted:

is the “American opsec is poo poo” thread still around?

no, i had to close it because idiots kept trying to make it c-spam lite

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

no, i had to close it because idiots kept trying to make it c-spam lite

that was the entire point of it for everyone but you, i think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was the entire point of it for everyone but you, i think

tbf someone opened a new one with that in mind and that got shut down by the mods for unknown reasons so :shrug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the point of the natsec thread was to talk about natsec fuckups since they were forbidden in the secfuck thread and it turns out banning natsec from the secfuck thread was the correct decision because idiots wouldn't loving stop relitigating the democratic primary

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

the point of the natsec thread was to talk about natsec fuckups since they were forbidden in the secfuck thread and it turns out banning natsec from the secfuck thread was the correct decision because idiots wouldn't loving stop relitigating the democratic primary

opsec and netsec are two different things, what else do you expect americans to talk about in opsec thread than opsec failures of the democratic party?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PULL UP, THREAD

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

if only there was some other thread to discuss those things.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was loving around with Windows Defender Security Center, which is I guess EMET's spiritual successor in Windows 10.

I put mandatory ASLR on system-wide, but the "Per Program Exceptions" has a shitton of EXEs which have an exception of Forcing Mandatory ASLR, mostly on Office products. While helpful, this effectively makes the program exceptions noise... is there a better way to approach this?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Humz this apple face id stuff sounds really clever, I bet they've got a bunch of tech to ensure that vaguely similar faces don't unlock phones

*10 year old boy unlocks both his mother's and father's phone*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

Humz this apple face id stuff sounds really clever, I bet they've got a bunch of tech to ensure that vaguely similar faces don't unlock phones

*10 year old boy unlocks both his mother's and father's phone*

that video is fake.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

phone tips:

- always on silent
- never pick up if its not from a contact
- ignore (pref disable) your voicemail
- good job

this, especially the silent. so many motherfuckers in my office leave their phones on max-volume. rude af imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't have my own phone and you bet i leave my work phone on max loving volume, because it rings like once a year, and gets messages maybe 2-3 times, and when it does, there's a computer making GBS threads the bed somewhere and needs fixing *now*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

this, especially the silent. so many motherfuckers in my office leave their phones on max-volume. rude af imo

the guy who sits behind me at work not only leaves his phone on at max volume all the time (even when he's not around) but he's set his ringtone to a loving alert klaxon so every time it rings it sounds like the fire alarm is going off

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the guy who sits behind me at work not only leaves his phone on at max volume all the time (even when he's not around) but he's set his ringtone to a loving alert klaxon so every time it rings it sounds like the fire alarm is going off

go outside every time until he is fired or quits

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

i don't have my own phone and you bet i leave my work phone on max loving volume, because it rings like once a year, and gets messages maybe 2-3 times, and when it does, there's a computer making GBS threads the bed somewhere and needs fixing *now*

why do you not have your own phone

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

same but it's that imperial march thingo from star wars. sounds terribly offensive on full phone vol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cheese-cube posted:

same but it's that imperial march thingo from star wars. sounds terribly offensive on full phone vol

don't sign your farts

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
metal gear solid codec ringtone and guard spotted you "!" for text tone on the guy behind me im hoping he dies soon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

loving despacito

destroying other people's poo poo because it makes a noise you don't like for 45 seconds every few hours isn't a very grownup thing to do but some days i feel less like a grownup and more like a guy who wonders what justin bieber sounds like on his way down an elevator shaft

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

why do you not have your own phone

i do not need or want a phone on me, if people need me they know where to find me via irc or email. i'll get back to them when i can.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've def turned down the ringer on co-workers phone if they aren't there, just walk in and mute that poo poo

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

flakeloaf posted:

loving despacito

destroying other people's poo poo because it makes a noise you don't like for 45 seconds every few hours isn't a very grownup thing to do but some days i feel less like a grownup and more like a guy who wonders what justin bieber sounds like on his way down an elevator shaft

this sounds like the potential nightmare of living with someone who always has indigestion-induced hiccups during their waking hours while also needing a machine they reject at night because they constantly make snarling gargling drowning noises during their sleep

:sever:

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
put the phone in a faraday bag and then throw it down the stairwell imho

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bulgakov posted:

this sounds like the potential nightmare of living with someone who always has indigestion-induced hiccups during their waking hours while also needing a machine they reject at night because they constantly make snarling gargling drowning noises during their sleep

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sorry shut the gently caress up everyone like the ringtones you'd wish be silent

• Locked thread