Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I imagine JL will still make a dumptruck full of money. The studio may have wanted/expected several dumptrucks, but they'll still make as much or more as they did with Suicide Squad or BatsvSupes. Which will be enough for them to keep on trying, I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I guess it shouldn't be surprising that a Punisher show has bad politics, but man, the Punisher show has some really bad politics.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Say more?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

jng2058 posted:

I imagine JL will still make a dumptruck full of money. The studio may have wanted/expected several dumptrucks, but they'll still make as much or more as they did with Suicide Squad or BatsvSupes. Which will be enough for them to keep on trying, I expect.

Eh, even if it flops the DCEU will be just fine.

WB is coming off a banner year, they might want Justice League to be a hit, but they don’t need it.
Wonder Woman is probably an Oscar contender, Aquaman has good odds of being a smash, and Supes and Batman have survived worse films than this.

We’ll all have comic book movies to fight over for at least another decade, if not longer.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

There's a craven, cowardly pro-gun control senator who keeps getting sick burns dropped on him about how he's a hypocrite for hiring armed security guards. And then there's a scene where the a CCW-carring reporter could have taken out a terrorist and saved the day if only she hadn't been forced to take her gun out of her purse going into a hotel room to interview said senator.

And that's on top of the really lovely, stigmatizing way PTSD is presented and the pro-vigilante stuff you'd expect from a Punisher thing.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 19, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a craven, cowardly pro-gun control senator who keeps getting sick burns dropped on him about how he's a hypocrite for hiring armed security guards. And then there's a scene where the a CCW-carring reporter could have taken out a terrorist and saved the day if only she hadn't been forced to take her gun out of her purse going into a hotel room to interview said senator.

The only thing stopping a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a shitload of guns, PTSD, and a rage disorder

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

There's a more fundamental flaw with the show which is that the Punisher is most interesting in the context of other characters -- he appeals to our base desires for vengeance and retribution, and the drama comes from nobler characters struggling with that as they vie with him to define justice and pursue it on their own terms. His own arc just isn't that interesting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And that's on top of the really lovely, stigmatizing way PTSD is presented and the pro-vigilante stuff you'd expect from a Punisher thing.

loving yikes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok so I just got to see Justice league and here's my serious review of it. Before I review, wow, the situation was dire there, a BigD screen with maybe two dozen people there. Though this is SEC country and it's a Saturday.

Anyway, the movie was fairly average to above average, leaning towards average. There character interplay was good, action was good but very sporadic. Each member of the league has good moments and are fun to watch.

Steppenwolf has been talked about as being one of the worst villains ever... I don't really find that to be true. He has a cool design, cool voice and good line delivery, and seemed fairly evenly matched with the (pre Superman) league. His main problem is being an unrecognizable character no one has ever known or cared about in a film of iconic characters. I'm fairly sure if Jack Kirby were alive and you asked what he thought of the decision to make Steppenwolf the main villain of Justice League, he would say "Who?" The scenes and flashbacks he is in are better than the scenes he isn't in, and that passes my test of being a good villain. One interesting thing I thought tied him to the league was his obsession with mother. Everyone on the team has a pathos about their mom except maybe Diana, and well, he was after their mothers. Calling out to mother all the time. I'm actually really surprised I didn't see this mentioned in many reviews or write ups, it seems like something people who are not me would really hate, but no one really mentioned it at all.

By far the worst thing about the movie was the score. If anything was going to take me out of the film, everytime I heard that generic crap or reheated 80s themes, I wished someone, anyone else had done the music. That's such a big component of movies it really hurts the film. Danny Elfman needs to go to movie jail for film crimes. Bring back Junkie XL.

Overall I think if you hated Batman v Superman you would think Justice League is a lot better. If you liked Batman v Superman you would think Justice League was a huge step backwards.

DC finally made a Marvel movie. It was 2 hours, I saw it, mostly enjoyed it, and now will proceed to completely forget about it and probably not see it again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok so I just got to see Justice league and here's my serious review of it. Before I review, wow, the situation was dire there, a BigD screen with maybe two dozen people there. Though this is SEC country and it's a Saturday.

Anyway, the movie was fairly average to above average, leaning towards average. There character interplay was good, action was good but very sporadic. Each member of the league has good moments and are fun to watch.

Steppenwolf has been talked about as being one of the worst villains ever... I don't really find that to be true. He has a cool design, cool voice and good line delivery, and seemed fairly evenly matched with the (pre Superman) league. His main problem is being an unrecognizable character no one has ever known or cared about in a film of iconic characters. I'm fairly sure if Jack Kirby were alive and you asked what he thought of the decision to make Steppenwolf the main villain of Justice League, he would say "Who?" The scenes and flashbacks he is in are better than the scenes he isn't in, and that passes my test of being a good villain. One interesting thing I thought tied him to the league was his obsession with mother. Everyone on the team has a pathos about their mom except maybe Diana, and well, he was after their mothers. Calling out to mother all the time. I'm actually really surprised I didn't see this mentioned in many reviews or write ups, it seems like something people who are not me would really hate, but no one really mentioned it at all.

By far the worst thing about the movie was the score. If anything was going to take me out of the film, everytime I heard that generic crap or reheated 80s themes, I wished someone, anyone else had done the music. That's such a big component of movies it really hurts the film. Danny Elfman needs to go to movie jail for film crimes. Bring back Junkie XL.

Overall I think if you hated Batman v Superman you would think Justice League is a lot better. If you liked Batman v Superman you would think Justice League was a huge step backwards.

DC finally made a Marvel movie. It was 2 hours, I saw it, mostly enjoyed it, and now will proceed to completely forget about it and probably not see it again.

Diana absolutely has a pathos about her mother did you not watch the first act of Wonder Woman? Hers weren't really in JL but every single person in the Justice League has severe parental issues and they should all go to group therapy together. That can be the sequel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC Murderverse posted:

Diana absolutely has a pathos about her mother did you not watch the first act of Wonder Woman? Hers weren't really in JL but every single person in the Justice League has severe parental issues and they should all go to group therapy together. That can be the sequel.

Their therapist is Granny Goodness

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Their therapist is Granny Goodness

After their hour is up (after only 45 minutes, because she's evil) she closes the door and all of a sudden Darkseid is just chilling on the couch.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not this far in but this is a pretty funny read. The show is pretty explicitly condemning the national security establishment, PMCs, and American death squads slaughtering with reckless abandon, Frank straight up refers to his unit as the "American Taliban" at one point. The younger soldier with PTSD you're referring to falls for a right winger valor stealing pushing Tea Party bullshit to leave his support group and push pamphlets on courthouse steps only to abandon the kid when the cop pretends he was going for his gun in order to arrest him, just like every one of those fuckers turned on each other at the Bundy ranch. Frank is not a terribly sympathetic character but his main villain are a lanyard dickhead and PMC executive, not common criminals. It's a pretty solid condemnation of D.C.'s delusions of jingoism and how it consumes the lives of the grunts they send off to terrorize the Middle East, if a bit clumsy along the way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it is suggested once that he is a hypocrite, and it is then followed up by an interview where he calmly explains his very sensible views.
The fact that he turns out to be a spineless coward is contrasted by right-win gun nut, who turns another guy into a domestic terrorist.

So I don’t see the show as having a political message in that regard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall there's been comics where Frank murders the gently caress out of human traffickers and probably the Klan at some point. Pretty general revenge fantasy against the worst humanity has to offer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jng2058 posted:

Remember, merchandising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every kid is foaming at the mouth to buy the 30 dollar 3 pack with Superman, Batman, and crowd fav, Steppenwolfe.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oasx posted:

I think it is suggested once that he is a hypocrite, and it is then followed up by an interview where he calmly explains his very sensible views.
The fact that he turns out to be a spineless coward is contrasted by right-win gun nut, who turns another guy into a domestic terrorist.

So I don’t see the show as having a political message in that regard.

It’s pretty explicit about how American imperialism is all-consuming of innocent life to such an insane degree for the death fetishist delusions of a power obsessed few, above all else.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall there's been comics where Frank murders the gently caress out of human traffickers and probably the Klan at some point. Pretty general revenge fantasy against the worst humanity has to offer.

The Netflix series is mostly around Frank tracking down the people who killed his family apart from several episodes where people close to him are in danger and he has to kill people to save them. He doesn't kill random criminals, his actions are all pretty personal here.

The series also spends a LOT of time with Frank and the other characters talking about at what point he should stop killing and walk away.

Edit: also Frank is very very much not depicted as a cool 80s-style male power fantasy action hero, he's incredibly hosed up by PTSD and he's a massive rear end in a top hat and he gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him over and over. His family life isn't overly romanticized either, the series goes out of its way to show that his marriage wasn't perfect and he was nowhere near the perfect father (but it was still the most important thing in his life* and he threw his whole heart into it anyway).

Edit:
* Or was it??

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Punisher was first introduced, iirc, as a vigilante trying to kill supervillains and robbers that Spider-Man was just trying to apprehend nonlethally in his typical style. He's quite specifically a foil to the no-kill policies of superheroes, though obviously that loses its luster when superheroes in movies are less worried about that, so they focus on the traumatised special forces murderous vigilante angle.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So basically a microcosm and a cultural mirror into American gun politics then? I haven't see Punisher yet but that sounds pretty realistic actually.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Justice League was OK. Nothing groundbreaking. I can't see how anyone who didn't like BvS hate JL just as much unless they're really dense.

e: Also, Justice League had the third-highest opening gross this year (behind Beauty & the Beast and Spider-Man: Homecoming), so Warner Bros. isn't in any trouble.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2017

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Edward Mass posted:

Justice League was OK. Nothing groundbreaking. I can't see how anyone who didn't like BvS hate JL just as much unless they're really dense.

e: Also, Justice League had the third-highest opening gross this year (behind Beauty & the Beast and Spider-Man: Homecoming), so Warner Bros. isn't in any trouble.

Actually 8th: http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/opening

Beauty and the Beast $174,750,616
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 $146,510,104
It $123,403,419
Thor: Ragnarok $122,744,989
Spider-Man: Homecoming $117,027,503
Wonder Woman $103,251,471
The Fate of the Furious $98,786,705
Justice League $96,000,000

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend, but that might be worldwide.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Not according to http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend, but that might be worldwide.

Your link is busted. Also, the site points out elsewhere that worldwide opening weekend box offices don't compare well because release schedules vary. Justice League opened almost everywhere this weekend, whereas, for instance, Thor: Ragnarok opened worldwide over two different weekends, so that the USA wasn't counted as part of that weekend's gross.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Yeah nah if it's this link: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ then that's the combined box office total for all movies on the weekend.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ah, I see. I'm not good with websites.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goffer posted:

Actually 8th: http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/opening

Beauty and the Beast $174,750,616
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 $146,510,104
It $123,403,419
Thor: Ragnarok $122,744,989
Spider-Man: Homecoming $117,027,503
Wonder Woman $103,251,471
The Fate of the Furious $98,786,705
Justice League $96,000,000

Really surprised Fate opened so low

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Like Fate of The Furious, JL could be one of those movies that do better overseas. F8 grossed over a billion worldwide that did not make back its budget in the US.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder why? It was loving great. Was Paul Walker the real draw for the series?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wonder why? It was loving great. Was Paul Walker the real draw for the series?

Possibly, or no movie series is really meant to go past a fifth installment without them consciously omitting references to numbers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fast and Furious movies for a thousand years

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I wonder if JL might do better in the long run than BvS? It's a worse movie of course but it's crowd pleasing schlock that might not get the bad word of mouth that BvS did.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe no one wants to see the 8th in a series of fast car drivey movies. I'm shocked there's been 8 of the things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

F8 was loving garbage. And I’ve loved all the the others. Including Tokyo Drift.

JL was a huge let down tho. Basically ruined every single character. I hope the loving nerds who cried about colour and levity are happy. Fuckers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rough Lobster posted:

Maybe no one wants to see the 8th in a series of fast car drivey movies. I'm shocked there's been 8 of the things.

Yeah, I don't give a poo poo if I like the series or not. Imagine if they were like, hey guys come see the seventeeth Halloween movie next year. Love the series and all involved in the new one but if they put it like that I'd be like "pass." Imagine literally anyone else seeing that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hahaha imagine going back 10 years and telling your past self that a huge budget Justice League movie did worse financially and critically than Academy Award winning film, SUICIDE SQUAD.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

F8 was loving garbage. And I’ve loved all the the others. Including Tokyo Drift.

JL was a huge let down tho. Basically ruined every single character. I hope the loving nerds who cried about colour and levity are happy. Fuckers.

I dunno, the movie was bad but the reactions are kind of funny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha imagine going back 10 years and telling your past self that a huge budget Justice League movie did worse financially and critically than Academy Award winning film, SUICIDE SQUAD.

Not worse critically, SS got like a 18% or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

sponges posted:

I wonder if JL might do better in the long run than BvS? It's a worse movie of course but it's crowd pleasing schlock that might not get the bad word of mouth that BvS did.

Stranger things have happened, but word of mouth doesn’t seem to be *that* much more positive than for BvS. I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails to even outgross MoS.

• Locked thread