Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fish sauce is like one of those 'less is more' sorta things. You generally finish a dish with fish sauce, at least in my experience. Using it during the cooking phase is like... Have you ever had a cat express it's anal glands in your vicinity? The smell is identical to simmered fish sauce, except the fish sauce is gonna be like ten times more all over the kitchen.

Have good ventilation is all i'm saying, and be prepared for every animal in the county to be going through your garbage.

Hmm alright, so perhaps make a batch like I did initially and then once it's nice and goopy just add in like a tbsp of fish sauce, taste, then see?

I would rather not have my entire apartment, probably entire floor, smell like cat butt. Even though I own two cats, and have cat butt in my face most often daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Johnny Truant posted:

Hmm alright, so perhaps make a batch like I did initially and then once it's nice and goopy just add in like a tbsp of fish sauce, taste, then see?

I would rather not have my entire apartment, probably entire floor, smell like cat butt. Even though I own two cats, and have cat butt in my face most often daily.

For what it's worth I cook with fish sauce all the time and have no idea what he's talking about. Now, frying some Thai shrimp paste, that you better have the windows open for.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it possible to boil broth for chicken noodle soup too long and have it lose its flavor? I kind of suspect I've been doing this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just found out my family is doing "Thanksgiving" on the Saturday after the fact because apparently my younger brothers both have to work the day of and Black Friday (retail :argh:)

When should I put my turkey in the brine, if I'm planning to cook it Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday?

Also, suggestions for a good brine?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A decent brine primer:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html

12-18 hours before, so probably the midnight before you're cooking and serving

We have a Thanksgiving thread now if you wanna ask more questions:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839419

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I really should have read that last post. My bad.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it possible to boil broth for chicken noodle soup too long and have it lose its flavor? I kind of suspect I've been doing this.

Are you using homemade broth/stock? And if so, are you seasoning it appropriately? Store bought stock is full of salt, so some recipes don't tell you to add any. So, your soup made with homemade stock will be bland unless you season it correctly.

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
I volunteer at a homeless shelter and I'm going to be running a meal service to prepare about 30 lbs of chicken breasts (thawed). I don't know if they're bone in or boneless.

My plan is to braise the breasts in broth, white wine vinegar, and vegetables. I'll brine the meat ahead of time for 3 hours or so.

I'm concerned about total cooking time. I think they have more than one oven, which is good, but I haven't quite done anything on this scale. If this were 10 pounds of breasts I think I could roast then at 500 for 30 minutes and then finish them off at 350 degrees for 2 hours (2.5 hours total). But for 30 breasts, and am I then looking at 7.5 hours of cooking time?

I guess I don't quite know how it works at this scale. My thinking is that the oven will try to maintain the temperature setting and I won't see a huge increase in cooking time, but logically I know that I'm missing something here.

Am I dramatically increasing my cooking time here? If so, is there a better option for this much food? Is there a way I can viably prepare this amount of chicken breast in about 3-4 hours?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

K posted:

I volunteer at a homeless shelter and I'm going to be running a meal service to prepare about 30 lbs of chicken breasts (thawed). I don't know if they're bone in or boneless.

My plan is to braise the breasts in broth, white wine vinegar, and vegetables. I'll brine the meat ahead of time for 3 hours or so.

I'm concerned about total cooking time. I think they have more than one oven, which is good, but I haven't quite done anything on this scale. If this were 10 pounds of breasts I think I could roast then at 500 for 30 minutes and then finish them off at 350 degrees for 2 hours (2.5 hours total). But for 30 breasts, and am I then looking at 7.5 hours of cooking time?

I guess I don't quite know how it works at this scale. My thinking is that the oven will try to maintain the temperature setting and I won't see a huge increase in cooking time, but logically I know that I'm missing something here.

Am I dramatically increasing my cooking time here? If so, is there a better option for this much food? Is there a way I can viably prepare this amount of chicken breast in about 3-4 hours?

Just some random thoughts

7 hours seems like an insane amount of time. While you are talking about a large amount of meat, each breast still has quite a bit of surface area. So it will still cook relatively fast. It's not like you're roasting a huge prime rib or something were you need to increase the length of time to get the center to temp. You don't need to scale the cooking time that long.

2.5 hours @ 350 even seems long at first glance. Liquids are a lot better at conducting heat than air, so those breasts should get to temp fairly fast, especially if you preheat your braising liquid.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah that's really not how it works.

Are they hotel-style or individual breasts? Either way, ballpark how many?

Can you borrow a couple crockpots? Or might the venue have them? I know breasts in crockpots aren't ideal but they're handy for allowing you to make other dishes, keep warm while not drying out, etc.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

K posted:

That seems like vastly too much time. Like double what I'd figure for roasting two 15lb turkeys.

Further, what are you actually doing, braising these breasts or roasting them? I get the impression you're thinking something like braising in a hotel pan, at which point I'd be figuring chicken breasts in a single layer, foiled pan, braise at 325 for ~3 hours or until an instant-read stick on the thickest bit clears 165.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 18, 2017

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
Thanks folks. I clearly lack a fundamental understanding of how heat and meat work. I think I'll be in good shape.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just finished 15 Peatnut butter & Pepper Jelly Turnovers drizzled with spicy chocolate. Wish me luck in the pepper contest fellas.
Pics to come hopefully

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

K posted:

Thanks folks. I clearly lack a fundamental understanding of how heat and meat work. I think I'll be in good shape.

If your only goal is to cook the chicken, then you can just put the breasts on a baking tray with a little space between them, brush them with oil, then put them in the oven at 360F. They should be cooked through in about 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breast (the 7oz ones I bake for my lunch take about 22).

You'd have to do the vegetables sepaartely though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

EVG posted:

Are you using homemade broth/stock? And if so, are you seasoning it appropriately? Store bought stock is full of salt, so some recipes don't tell you to add any. So, your soup made with homemade stock will be bland unless you season it correctly.

Yeah I season it well, it's just that I leave it boiling for hours sometimes and at first it fills the kitchen with a nice aroma but eventually it doesn't, so I'm afraid it's being lost in the broth too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway how do they season burgers at gyro places?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Boiling, as in a rolling boil? Or simmering gently? Because boiling anything for that length of time is going to be detrimental to the end product...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Boiling, as in a rolling boil? Or simmering gently? Because boiling anything for that length of time is going to be detrimental to the end product...

I dunno, does rolling mean there's always bubbles coming up?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I dunno, does rolling mean there's always bubbles coming up?

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/cooking-class-boiling-simmering-0

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway how do they season burgers at gyro places?

As far as I can tell, sprinkle some of this stuff on the patties as they cook.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What can I do to make myself like coffee

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you want to like the coffee you make at home or are you having trouble liking any coffee

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The 2nd. I don't get the appeal, but maybe I'm drinking the wrong crap.

My friends enjoy going to indie coffeeshops and it's awkward when I just stare at the menu in confusion. I want to like coffee like the cool boys.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Just drink more coffee. Lattes are popular.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can you add milk and sugar or are your coffee-loving friends shaming you for it and telling you to drink it black? Because that's the easiest way to make coffee more palatable to people who don't like it.

I always need a teaspoon of sugar with my coffee, no matter how good it is.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tired Moritz posted:

My friends enjoy going to indie coffeeshops and it's awkward when I just stare at the menu in confusion. I want to like coffee like the cool boys.

Do you like coffee ice cream? If you like coffee ice cream you will probably like a latte with some sugar.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just drink enormous quantities of black coffee until you like it. During the summer between school and university, I convinced myself that no-one would think I was cool unless I drank coffee, so I just had two cups of black instant crap coffee every morning (because that's all that was available), and it took me about a week to start liking it, and seeking it out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Did you Stockholm Syndrome yourself

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Coffee is like the quintessential acquired taste. If you want to like coffee, work an office job.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Try going for a mocha coffee. If it's from a good cafe, they'll mix a scoop full of real chocolate into the hot milk instead of using a chocolate syrup, and that stuff tastes amazing. It also tastes mostly like chocolate and only faintly like coffee.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
When I'm making omelettes I always have difficulty incorporating the yolk and the egg whites together. No matter how much I whisk there are always strands of egg whites dotted through my omelettes, although I manage to get lots of air into the omelettes in trying to get the whites incorporated. (My eggs are at room temperature when I am whisking them)

Does anyone have any tips or instructions for how to whisk the eggs for an omelette?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

manny kaltz posted:

When I'm making omelettes I always have difficulty incorporating the yolk and the egg whites together. No matter how much I whisk there are always strands of egg whites dotted through my omelettes, although I manage to get lots of air into the omelettes in trying to get the whites incorporated. (My eggs are at room temperature when I am whisking them)

Does anyone have any tips or instructions for how to whisk the eggs for an omelette?

Hey, are you talkin' bout chalazae? They're a superstructure that connects the yolk to the shell. They essentially dissolve over a week or so of the egg being in your fridge.

Use older eggs for omelettes and fresher eggs for fried eggs. Supposedly you can strain them out after beating but I've never attempted this.

moller fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 19, 2017

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...

moller posted:

Hey, are you talkin' bout chalazae? They're a superstructure that connects the yolk to the shell. They essentially dissolve over a week or so of the egg being in your fridge.

Use older eggs for omelettes and fresher eggs for fried eggs. Supposedly you can strain them out after beating but I've never attempted this.

You may very well be right. For the last week or so (which is when I've been having this problem) I've been using eggs that had been in the fridge for less than a week.

I'll try waiting a couple of weeks to make the omelettes again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just became aware that air fryers exist. are they any good compared to traditional deep fryers, and if so, what are some decent models?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

manny kaltz posted:

You may very well be right. For the last week or so (which is when I've been having this problem) I've been using eggs that had been in the fridge for less than a week.

I'll try waiting a couple of weeks to make the omelettes again.

They're really just a sign that you're getting super fresh eggs. There are two per egg, which can get weird if you're separating a bunch of very fresh eggs, as you will end up with a bunch of little "strings" in your whites. Sometimes the chalazae make it hard to separate eggs by hand, if the eggs are, like, super-fresh.

Basically every part of the egg gets softer and more pliable as more time passes. This works in your benefit when you fry extremely fresh eggs - the white spreads less across the pan and the yolk stays proudly upright and unbroken.

A three-egg omelette would have six of these white strands. It seems like a wire strainer would be a pretty quick fix if you're tryin' to be fancy. Most of the references I see to people going that route are for cocktails, custards, souffles, etc.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just became aware that air fryers exist. are they any good compared to traditional deep fryers, and if so, what are some decent models?

Anecdotally, they are completely useless. However, Mr. T seems bullish on them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Airfryers are good at making decent oven fries, because it's basically a hot air oven with a thing that continually agitates the fries.

It's not a replacement for an actual deep fryer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Followed this recipe for Lasagna. Really upset with the way it turned out. Should have just done the bolognese base I usually make, and just followed the roux recipe in that link. My lasagna ended up looking nothing like the one in the picture provided, their bolognese sauce was pretty awful.

On top of that, nowhere in the recipe did it say to cover the lasagna with tin foil in the oven. So I ended up checking on it after 30 mins in the oven (it was meant to be in for an entire hour!), only to find the entire top layer and bechamel had hardened to a horrible brown crust that needs diamond-tipped drilling equipment to get through. If I'd have covered it with tin foil, it would have been really soft and nice.

So on that note, anyone got any tried and tested lasagna recipes that they swear by? Cause I love lasagna, but boy was this terrible. I've got an entire pan and I'll eat what I can of it today, but will probably bin the rest instead of freezing it. The only upside to this entire thing is the fact I found out I really love the taste of Pinot Noir, and that bay leaf + clove infused bechamel is delicious.

My ideal lasagna is a nice thick sauce, with creamy bechamel, and lots of pasta layers so it has a nice, soft and chewy bite to it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 19, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Just drink enormous quantities of black coffee until you like it. During the summer between school and university, I convinced myself that no-one would think I was cool unless I drank coffee, so I just had two cups of black instant crap coffee every morning (because that's all that was available), and it took me about a week to start liking it, and seeking it out

This is basically how I learned to like coffee too. My parents drank it; I was like 12 and I wanted to be adult too, so I drank it even though it tasted horrible and I had like 3 sugars in every cup. And now I prefer it strong, black and with no sugar, go figure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

When I first really got into coffee, I was 18 years old. I started with Mochas, cause they're basically delicious hot chocolate drinks with a hint of coffee flavour. And then over time, I started to love the flavour of coffee more and more. I've never been a fan of black coffee, despite being a crazy addicted drinker ever since (I'm 25 now). I always have my coffee with milk and sugar.

So yeah, start with mochas, then dabble in other stuff from there. You'll soon learn to love it and really enjoy the flavours. That being said, some stuff you'll just never be a fan of, based on your personal tastes. I've always hated lattes and cappuccinos. I'll either get coffee with milk, or a mocha.

Scientastic posted:

I mean, do this if you want to subject yourself to pain and suffering. Not to mention the heart palpitations you'd get. Instant crap is okay, but I'd definitely recommend getting coffee beans, grinding them yourself and brewing them. You can get a cheap grinder (not a burr grinder) for like $10. Sure as hell beats the taste of instant and will not be as painful to get to like, plus you'll feel sophisticated and classy af doing it all from scratch (takes about ten mins). Drinking black coffee as a segway into liking coffee will be rough (or at least it was for me). If you like hot chocolate, or sweet stuff, grab yourself a Mocha or Mocha Frappucino, or Vanilla Frap or whatever else sounds good to you. The coffee is barely noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I spent 34 years hating coffee. Then a Vietnamese place opened in my town and theirs did the trick. Now I'm having to keep myself from getting some on the way to work just so I don't develop a caffeine habit.

This is also a good way to fast track your way into coffee snobbery.