Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I second picked a Fireball and later the guy next to me showed me a Channel he rare-drafted because he needed it for his cube. Cube can go mana-screw itself for denying me the chance to do that for the first time in 23 years.

(Channel + Lich's Mirror is still the most fun Vintage deck.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was raredrafting like a motherfucker this weekend, but why raredraft a 50 cent card?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I didn't get as good of a haul as I did yesterday in both drafts, but one of them did net me my second Ancestral Visions. I went 3-0 with RWu and then 2-1 with UR. Guttersnipe is loving nuts yo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was raredrafting like a motherfucker this weekend, but why raredraft a 50 cent card?

It was more him going "my deck sucks, but this card I need for my cube is right in front of me, so whatever"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

It was more him going "my deck sucks, but this card I need for my cube is right in front of me, so whatever"

Magic players are bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
No Iconic Masters drafts at GP Portland was a major letdown.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

No Iconic Masters drafts at GP Portland was a major letdown.

Agreed 100% - I had asked if there was any way possible we could do a draft as we had a full group of 8 people and we would pay whatever they wanted and they said they only had enough product for the sealed events. Sad times. Also some of the vendors have boxes that they aren’t allowed to sell due to some agreement they have signed with the TO and/or Wizards

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 19, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One thing I noticed researching for an EDH deck: is every single (identifiably human-ish) angel in MTG depicted as female?

Any lore reason for this? Don't get me wrong I'm not a caremad CHUD about it just surprised me.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 19, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

One thing I noticed researching for an EDH deck: is every single (identifiably human-ish) angel in MTG depicted as female?

Any lore reason for this? Don't get me wrong I'm not a caremad CHUD about it just surprised me.

I'm guessing the actual real reason is that its just a fantasy trope that angels are female or it might be part of WOTC's art direction.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angels is Magic lore are female, I forget why. The exceptions are the one from Planar Chaos(because it portrays an alternate timeline), and the ones from AKH block because Bolas or something

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Amonkhet angels are male also. I don't know if there's a particular reason angels are usually female in MTG... I just imagine people started drawing them that way and then others kept doing it. Traditionally/mythologically angels are all male.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 19, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Generally in MTG, all angels are female and all demons are male. It's just a thing they do and they've been doing it for a long while now.

I think Amonkhet angels are male to represent that they're not 'proper' angels or something, they're all mindless puppets put in place by Bolas or some poo poo. It's a sign that something is seriously wrong.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Interesting stuff, that was a great question

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I played against a kid at Modern FNM who had brought his Dinosaur deck obviously assembled out of cracking boosters. Happily told me about how one of his creatures was a 9/9.

Am... am I a bad person for countering every one of his spells? I think I might be.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mossyfisk posted:

I played against a kid at Modern FNM who had brought his Dinosaur deck obviously assembled out of cracking boosters. Happily told me about how one of his creatures was a 9/9.

Am... am I a bad person for countering every one of his spells? I think I might be.

I've Dissolved a Bronze Sable in standard. You're not a bad person for doing it, they're the bad ones for making us.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Steve Argyle originally drew a male angel on Emerge Unscathed and had to change it because all Magic angels are female. I can't find the article he wrote on that right now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retromancer posted:

Man opening a channel in ICM is a real kick in the dick. A mythic that’s not legal in any format.

I pulled two foil Balance drafting Eternal Masters. :suicide:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mossyfisk posted:

I hate playing those matches. Back in mono-black devotion days I played against a kid at his very first FNM who made his deck from the common and uncommon bulk. I turn 1 thoughtseize him and see a bunch of random cards and Urborg Panther. I try explaining to him how standard works as nice as possible, because he is like 10, with no success. I go get the judge to help him fix his deck and explain the rules. The kid started bawling his eyes out because all he heard was "judge" and thought he was in trouble. I felt like an absolute monster. He got his deck fixed and played the rest of the rounds but has never been up there since.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I hate playing those matches. Back in mono-black devotion days I played against a kid at his very first FNM who made his deck from the common and uncommon bulk. I turn 1 thoughtseize him and see a bunch of random cards and Urborg Panther. I try explaining to him how standard works as nice as possible, because he is like 10, with no success. I go get the judge to help him fix his deck and explain the rules. The kid started bawling his eyes out because all he heard was "judge" and thought he was in trouble. I felt like an absolute monster. He got his deck fixed and played the rest of the rounds but has never been up there since.

You were already a monster when you T1 thoughtseized him. You should have just gone full heel after that.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got 2nd in my first Iconic Masters draft last night, went in blind and won the Mana Drain lottery. Mark of Mutiny was the only card not pictured that I ended up siding in. Lost in the finals to a gross deck piloted by a really nice dude with two Knight of the Reliquary, a Restoration Angel, Channel, Simic Sky-Swallower.

(Not my playmat. The LGS just has a bunch that are always out on the tables to play on.)

I had two fury charms, two more mana leaks, the instant make something a 1/1 until EoT, a darksteel axe in the sb, the draw three tuck one for 4, but never felt the need to side them in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Steve Argyle originally drew a male angel on Emerge Unscathed and had to change it because all Magic angels are female. I can't find the article he wrote on that right now.

https://steveargyle.deviantart.com/art/Scintillating-Surge-alternate-163001649

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Agreed 100% - I had asked if there was any way possible we could do a draft as we had a full group of 8 people and we would pay whatever they wanted and they said they only had enough product for the sealed events. Sad times. Also some of the vendors have boxes that they aren’t allowed to sell due to some agreement they have signed with the TO and/or Wizards

ah the classic problem of customers wanting to buy your products, one that no business has managed to find a good solution to

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Angels is Magic lore are female, I forget why. The exceptions are the one from Planar Chaos(because it portrays an alternate timeline), and the ones from AKH block because Bolas or something

I would imagine it goes back to Serra and her plane, I think that was the first time we saw a lot of angels all in one place and they were all women.

Wizards please print a Serra planeswalker card next time you do a Commander set with PW commanders.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

little munchkin posted:

ah the classic problem of customers wanting to buy your products, one that no business has managed to find a good solution to

This to me is still the single most baffling thing that WotC does.

"We can't put desirable cards in our pre-constructed products because lots of people would want to buy them"

I mean I get reprint equity and all that but throwing a couple of fetch lands in the latest duel decks would make them a killing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

AceClown posted:

"We can't put desirable cards in our pre-constructed products because lots of people would want to buy them"

I mean I get reprint equity and all that but throwing a couple of fetch lands in the latest duel decks would make them a killing.

We just got done laughing at somebody who dropped $3600 trying to crack a Mana Drain

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AceClown posted:

The issue is that they want these products in the hands of the target audience they make it for. I guess the "problem" is that their distributors crack a healthy chunk of them for singles and so do the 3rd parties distributors sell to. This target audience goes to their local LGS and then sees the 30 dollar starter deck they were wanting to buy now listed for 60 and gets discouraged. This is more a symptom of unhealthy distributor model WOTC has then anything. The wrong decision was to make these decks worthless but here we are.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

The issue is that they want these products in the hands of the target audience they make it for. I guess the "problem" is that their distributors crack a healthy chunk of them for singles and so do the 3rd parties distributors sell to. This target audience goes to their local LGS and then sees the 30 dollar starter deck they were wanting to buy now listed for 60 and gets discouraged. This is more a symptom of unhealthy distributor model WOTC has then anything. The wrong decision was to make these decks worthless but here we are.

I guess I never thought of it like that, if every $5 lotto scratcher was guaranteed to win you $20 then every retailer would be buying thousands and just sit in the back scratching all day long.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mossyfisk posted:

Lean into it

https://twitter.com/RainbowHeavy/status/924501125541195782

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkapfBYIfc

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AceClown posted:

the duel decks kind of make sense, they're about new customer acquisition. they don't want invested players to gently caress it up and drive up prices. They already have your money, it's not worth another 20$ if there's a risk of driving away fresh blood

the gp thing is indefensible. we rented out a covention hall for 3 days in order to promote our products. should we make sure the venue actually has our product there? the brand new one that just got released? nah.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I made my buddy's kid cry at an FNM years ago cause I was playing TurboFog. Didn't even bat an eye.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which distributor do you think is cracking product for singles?

I'm dying to hear the answer to this.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

En Fuego posted:

I made my buddy's kid cry at an FNM years ago cause I was playing TurboFog. Didn't even bat an eye.

It's not the "doing it" that makes you an rear end in a top hat, it's the :smuggo: Internet post about it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

En Fuego posted:

My dude

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

the gp thing is indefensible. we rented out a covention hall for 3 days in order to promote our products. should we make sure the venue actually has our product there? the brand new one that just got released? nah.

I understand distribution issues suck, but they has no plan in place to even attempt scheduled IM drafts much less On Demand flights.

Due to the holidays I'm probably not going to be hitting up alnext FNM, and who knows how long locals will draft a $40/draft set.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WOTC deciding to distribute a giftable ~deluxe~ set in mass market stores during holiday season is probably the best part of the decision they made. The actual gift set is terrible and thinking people will actually draft a$30+ set during the holidays is very :lol:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

It's not the "doing it" that makes you an rear end in a top hat, it's the :smuggo: Internet post about it.

It's called building character.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

En Fuego posted:

I whooped a kid at something I'm better at with more money to spend on it. Taught that little poo poo a lesson.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
much more sporting to beat lower income adults with something you have more money to spend on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

There it is. Let the hate flow through you.