Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

1. Dustin's trash and recycling pickup are on different days? That's inconvenient.
2. Healthy raccoons in the daytime are totally possible, but I wouldn't stand that close.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Evil Mastermind posted:

That total lack of punctuation and basic grammar really makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt!

I think that's drunken speech-to-text. I hope that's drunken speech-to-text.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

1. Dustin's trash and recycling pickup are on different days? That's inconvenient.

Ours are -- rubbish and recycle collection alternate weekly.

I've been musing on the Gilchrist situation (as one does, especially waking up this morning to the news that David Cassidy is desperately ill; he was little Miss Boods's first music crush and on her behalf I will be extremely cross when/if that creep does a tribute strip on the inevitable).

Anyway, I'm not religious, but I'd like to think that Jesus himself was such a fan of Fats Domino that He's made damned sure there won't be some lovely tribute to him in the Gilchristified Nancy.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Beetle Bailey, November 7 2017

Classic Beetle Bailey, November 7 1956

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ms Boods posted:

Anyway, I'm not religious, but I'd like to think that Jesus himself was such a fan of Fats Domino that He's made damned sure there won't be some lovely tribute to him in the Gilchristified Nancy.

God works in mysterious, rapey ways.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know, I wouldn't wish sexual harrassment on any third party just so a bad comic strip whose creator is a creep can get shut down, but if anyone's strip paints its creator as a creep it's Intelligent Life. Just putting that out there.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think there's a very good chance Gilchrist's not coming back from this break (or suspension or whatever is going on that is likely to prevent a sappy Thanksgiving strip), and even if he were I doubt we'd see anything dramatic in the comic.

Admittedly a storyline from Gilchrist in which Christian Ubermensch Phil Fumble is falsely accused of sexual assault would be downright hilarious.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"I'm going back home!"

The Phantom

I really like the art in Phantom Sundays.

Pooch Cafe

Oh no not my butt!

Rex Morgan MD

Flash Gordon Sundays November 1956

Ah the strip that inspired Faith No More.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't think rabbits eat wood?

As a rabbit owner, I can assure you that while they may not eat wood, they chew up the stuff like no one's business.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
And in the winter they eat the bark of certain trees for nutrients.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Selachian posted:

As a rabbit owner, I can assure you that while they may not eat wood, they chew up the stuff like no one's business.
Right, they need to keep chewing on stuff so their teeth don't grow too big.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

I think there's a very good chance Gilchrist's not coming back from this break (or suspension or whatever is going on that is likely to prevent a sappy Thanksgiving strip), and even if he were I doubt we'd see anything dramatic in the comic.

Wait, have we gotten confirmation that Gilchrist is going "on a break?" I must have missed that.
I checked the Guy Gilchrist Productions Facebook page last night and he had just put up a help wanted ad for a new studio assistant. Hm, I wonder what happened to the old one?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Nekonaughey

Wikipedia posted:

Yōkan (羊羹) is a thick, jellied dessert made of red bean paste, agar, and sugar. It is usually sold in a block form, and eaten in slices. There are two main types: neri yōkan and mizu yōkan. "Mizu" means "water", and indicates that it is made with more water than usual. Mizu yōkan is often chilled and eaten in summer.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

DIlbert

Foxtrot

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1917)

This .. ahhh... only gets worse. Sorry folks.

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (January, 1936, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1941, click for big)

Dick Tracy (May, 1941, click for big)

$45,000.00 in 1941 had the same buying power as $770,527.66 in 2017

Mopsy (June, 1941)

Archie (June, 1956, click for big)

Mr. Tweedy (October 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1976, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (May, 1972, click for big)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
How would yall recommend scanning in some old very large comic strips?

Like....full page stuff that I can't scan all at once.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think some scanning software does auto-stitching. Otherwise you're looking at manual alignment in your image editor of choice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

See if you can get access to a book scanner at a library, one of those that takes photos from above. Might have to go to a university or other scientific library.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Aztec posted:

How would yall recommend scanning in some old very large comic strips?

Like....full page stuff that I can't scan all at once.

Cheapskate option: if you have an Android phone with a decent camera, give Photoscan a try. In my experience results are often surprisingly good.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ah, yes, that famous Ancient Greek masterpiece, The Statue of Liberty.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The Amazing Dr. Connors

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Ah, yes, that famous Ancient Greek masterpiece, The Statue of Liberty.

and Michelangelo was a Renaissance artist. They're both in a classicist style.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
For fucks sake, Connors, You're missing one goddamn arm. Get some therapy, christ.

My Lovely Horse posted:

See if you can get access to a book scanner at a library, one of those that takes photos from above. Might have to go to a university or other scientific library.

...I didn't think of that. There is a state university in town. I'll have to see what they charge, if anything.
Thanks for the idea! I've had some stuff kicking around here for a while that I kept coming across and going " How the gently caress can I scan this?"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Shut the gently caress up Curt Connors

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

...I didn't think of that. There is a state university in town. I'll have to see what they charge, if anything.
Thanks for the idea! I've had some stuff kicking around here for a while that I kept coming across and going " How the gently caress can I scan this?"
Just anecdotal evidence, but mine only charges 2 cents per page. Might be free at yours, if not, probably isn't prohibitively expensive.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lightbox and camera is also an option.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Calaveron posted:

Shut the gently caress up Curt Connors

Seriously. And when you live in the Marvel Universe with its surplus of mad scientists and mutant healers, it’s not like there aren’t other options for limb replacement, but nope, always gotta be LIZARD WAY OR NO WAY for ol’ Curt.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Dr. Connors

NEXT ON SPIDER-MAN: PARKER DRESSES UP AS SPIDEY TO DO IN-DEPTH THERAPY SESSIONS WITH CURT CONNORS!

But seriously, get a loving limb replacement. You could bring in Misty Knight to explain how all you need is to befriend Tony Stark or Reed Richards and you'll get a smart arm that probably works better than your normal one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 14-15, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 15, 1996)

Garfield Classic (April 14-15, 1986)

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!