Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Sorry if this is a repeat question -- it's not mentioned in the OP...

Is the fusion drive a considerable "upgrade" over HDDs? My mother's looking to upgrade her 2010 iMac, and it'll probably be her last computer before retirement. So some expense is okay since she can write some of it off taxes. Given her usual workload, a SSD would be the best quality of life upgrade, but goddamn Apple charges a premium for them.

It doesn't look like it's feasible to have a "SSD boot + HDD data" formula on Mac like it is on PC? (Without delving into symlink fuckery, which I wouldn't do if the HDD is external, which it'd have to be since modern iMacs only seem to have one drive bay...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You could do a time machine back up to an external drive and just restore everything to the new SSD when you install it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it feasible Apple releases either 120hz or HDR screens on the new MacBook Pro?

I know nobody knows the future, but is that technology for laptop screens at the point where it’s a possibility, or is it not there yet?

Apple's GPUs are at the mercy of Intel so it's perhaps less likely in a Mac than in an iPad where they build their own.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jan posted:

Is the fusion drive a considerable "upgrade" over HDDs?
Yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Holy poo poo, anyone find rendering with the latest FCPX is totally destroying their battery? :stare:
I've gone down 50% in the space of forty minutes. 2013 MBP 15"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy poo poo, anyone find rendering with the latest FCPX is totally destroying their battery? :stare:
I've gone down 50% in the space of forty minutes. 2013 MBP 15"

I wonder if this is because of the switch to a codec that you don't have hardware acceleration here? I'm just spitballing, I don't have any specific info but I've been wondering if the move to HEVC / HEIF will hit older devices hard.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

MarcusSA posted:

You could do a time machine back up to an external drive and just restore everything to the new SSD when you install it.

I meant a replacement, not just upgrading the SSD. Will probably time machine backup to setup the new machine anyway, that worked surprisingly well last time.

Okay, sorry, let me rephrase -- the fusion drive is the stock option on new iMacs, after all. What I mean to ask is, is it worth upgrading from fusion to full SSD? From what I hear, hybrid HDD/SSDs aren't that great on Windows/PC, so I don't think it'd be any different on Mac. And since my mom is your typical "office" user, I'd rather she benefit from actual SSD speeds for OS and programs, even if that means getting an external USB3 drive or something for all her photos taking up space...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Update on my MacBook Pro 13” display lag issues.

I returned the LG 27UD68P and bought an UltraFine 5K. Even though my machine is pushing more pixels, the performance is way better.

I hovered over the purchase button on a new iMac over and over, but this was a better solution. Now I can just replace the MacBook in a few years and keep using the display.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jan posted:

Okay, sorry, let me rephrase -- the fusion drive is the stock option on new iMacs, after all. What I mean to ask is, is it worth upgrading from fusion to full SSD? From what I hear, hybrid HDD/SSDs aren't that great on Windows/PC, so I don't think it'd be any different on Mac. And since my mom is your typical "office" user, I'd rather she benefit from actual SSD speeds for OS and programs, even if that means getting an external USB3 drive or something for all her photos taking up space...

Do you mean "upgrade" like stick in a new drive, or buy a new computer?

From what I've heard, the performance difference between fusion and full SSD is minimal, due to how macOS handles which files go on which part of the drive.

I think the question should be whether or not you want an SSD and external storage, or just one fusion drive to hold everything. I'd personally do the fusion drive for simplicity, especially if you're doing it for someone else. You don't want to be fielding phone calls about how macOS says it's full because the "wrong" drive was being used.

The third option is just to go straight SSD and let iCloud manage larger files.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah sorry maybe I’m confused as well I was reading it as you wanted to replace the mechanical drive with an SSD. I wouldn’t think that would be hard on a 2010.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you mean "upgrade" like stick in a new drive, or buy a new computer?

New computer, my bad. I'm sure a SSD would solve the slowness she's been complaining about, but as you mention, it is a bit of an old computer so might as well replace it while it's tax deductible. She was saying that her MacBook Air felt so fast in comparison -- I told her that's precisely what you get from a SSD vs. HDD.

But $840 CAD to go from 1TB Fusion to 1TB SSD feels like highway robbery when you can get a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO for $400 CAD... It just is a complete nuisance to open up an iMac to replace the drive manually.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jan posted:

The key difference between fusion drive and Windows land hybrid HDD/SSDs is that Apple's factory fusion drive configs use a 'real' SSD. Most hybrid SSHDs have a very small amount of flash and a not-so-performant SSD controller, so the benefits are limited.

That said, any Apple 1TB Fusion config has a really small SSD, only 24GB. That's still a lot more flash memory than a typical SSHD, but the upgrade to any larger Fusion drive gets you a 128GB SSD. That much space lets the entire OS and lots of frequently used apps and files live on the SSD full time, and from what I've heard Apple's automatic management is pretty good at doing that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

As of the 2017 refresh, 1TB Fusion Drives have a 32GB SSD.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

That’s why I was wondering if it was feasible to put the technology in a laptop screen or if there was some reason it wouldn’t work the same.

they can and they will, its just a matter of how long it will take

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Weedle posted:

As of the 2017 refresh, 1TB Fusion Drives have a 32GB SSD.

And once again, Apple shits on the 21.5 inch iMac havers by limiting them to only a 1 TB Fusion drive, whereas 27-inch havers can get up to a 3 TB Fusion drive. C'mon, Apple, they got low profile 2-3 TB drives out there, I swear!

And new rMBP's? I firmly believe that Apple saw the advent of people buying standard M.2 NVMe 2280 SSDs and decided, welp, let's keep that shiat out of our machines by going all logic board-mounted SSDs in the 2017 models.

Just imagine when your 2017 rMBP craps out and it's logic board related.. didn't have a backup? Well, gently caress you, here's a new logic board with a bog standard system install, gently caress your data, it's trapped forever in the old board you returned. Yes, I know Apple has a special tool to backup logic board SSDs but it's useless if the logic board fails in a way that takes the SSD with it. And I've seen that happen, not often, but it happens.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I far prefer having a full SSD instead of a Fusion drive. It's significantly faster and you'll notice it unless you only use the same 2-3 apps and never anything else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Jan posted:

But $840 CAD to go from 1TB Fusion to 1TB SSD feels like highway robbery when you can get a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO for $400 CAD... It just is a complete nuisance to open up an iMac to replace the drive manually.

What you *could* do for your mom is order a 2010 thermal sensor kit from (ugh) Macsales along with the Samsung 850 EVO size of your choice, take it to a nearby AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) and pay them to install it.. but depending how greedy they are that could cost a bit also..

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I far prefer having a full SSD instead of a Fusion drive. It's significantly faster and you'll notice it unless you only use the same 2-3 apps and never anything else.

I wonder what % of 21.5" iMacs do exactly that. I mostly see them in small office roles or POS systems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Also in theory a fusion drive opens the opportunity for either of 2 drives to crap themselves.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
My 2011 Macbook Pro has kicked the bucket again. It crashed (thanks alot Adobe loving InDesign) and boots to vertical lines then grey screen. Tried all the usual fixes and more, but I think the logic board is gone.

Of course it had to happen at deadline too. After the initial rage and stress, I realised that fortunately in my case all the work is online and I have a time machine backup (albeit from a month ago). So I just have to download some files and continue the project on my gaming PC until I have a chance to take it to the geniuses.

If it requires a new board and I have to pay (over the years I've already had some pieces replaced for free as known issues), then I think that's a sign to get a new Mac.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Aside from the fact it’s a lot of money for a 2 year old laptop, is there anything I should know before picking up a refurb 2015 13” Macbook Pro from the Apple store? Known issues, recurring problems, etc. with that model?
I reeeeeeally don’t like the touch bar, keyboard, or port situation on the newer models.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

There are no problems, the 2015 MBP is God's own laptop.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah except you really want the 15"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pivo posted:

Yeah except you really want the 15"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
15 inch laptops are tough to use in coach if you fly a lot.

Otherwise get a 15.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Psh, tray table down, chair reclined back, I make 15 work in coach. I made 17 work! Sure, it's the entire width of my chair, BUT WE DO WHAT WE CAN BECAUSE WE MUST!

But yeah these days I just travel with my iPad Mini, keep the MacBook Pro in my bag if I bring it at all. It's a far smarter way to travel. But, you may as well go all the way and get the baby MacBook. That thing is ridiculously tiny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Psh, tray table down, chair reclined back, I make 15 work in coach. I made 17 work! Sure, it's the entire width of my chair, BUT WE DO WHAT WE CAN BECAUSE WE MUST!

But yeah these days I just travel with my iPad Mini, keep the MacBook Pro in my bag if I bring it at all. It's a far smarter way to travel. But, you may as well go all the way and get the baby MacBook. That thing is ridiculously tiny.

It's really a good little laptop, depending on what you want to do. If I didn't use my MacBook Pro for running simultaneous VMs at times, I'd still be using it. I did give it to my nephew as a "just started college" laptop and he loves it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The 2015 rMBPs, other than the non upgrade ability of the RAM are Apple's last dependable model IMHO. They have built in HDMI ports, an SD card slot, and regular USB ports on top of Thunderbolt and they don't require safecracking skills to open.

2016 models and up when compared to the 2015s are gadgety committee designed laptops guided by the hand of a stuck up designer who got lucky.

Also the ability to do HEVC decode in hardware is perfectly supported in GPUS as far back as Late 2013, but you have to Boot Camp to Windows to have it. Such dickishness from Apple not to support it in macOS only for 2016 machines and up will just wind up shooting themselves in the foot the way iPhone X sales are cannibalizing 8 sales..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 18, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With the 2015 models I think pretty much the entire industry was jealous of the design. With the newer ones literally nobody wants to copy those designs.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Binary Badger posted:

Also the ability to do HEVC decode in hardware is perfectly supported in GPUS as far back as Late 2013, but you have to Boot Camp to Windows to have it.
I thought that my 13" 2015 MBP's absolute dogshit performance at playing Youtube videos in Chrome was due to Broadwell not supporting VP9 decode in hardware at all, but guess not??

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Linguica posted:

I thought that my 13" 2015 MBP's absolute dogshit performance at playing Youtube videos in Chrome was due to Broadwell not supporting VP9 decode in hardware at all, but guess not??

It's an OS shortcoming not a hardware shortcoming.

You can also daisy chain multiple commodity displayport monitors from a single port if you run Windows on your mac instead of Mac OS. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the iMac Pro will boot off an A10 with 512MB

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/18/imac-pro-a10-fusion-chip/

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/932007610873769985

I‘m sure that one anti-ARM mac guy will be along shortly to poo poo on this posting :allears:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That is amusing. SO wait, if A10 boots the machine and can control the EFI, .....

can we option-boot into iOS?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
This is silly. Just forego X86 and move Macs to ARM. Apple has been able to do it for years but hasn't yet for reasons.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

bobfather posted:

This is silly. Just forego X86 and move Macs to ARM. Apple has been able to do it for years but hasn't yet for reasons.

the ARM chips apple are designing are obviously faster than the intel equivalents and cheaper to acquire, but there's the matter of breaking compatibility with the last 12 years of mac software (though considering how often os upgrades break stuff on osx anyway i wouldn't call this too out of the realm of possibility), whatever cost is incurred from extricating themselves from their agreement with intel etc, for a moderate performance increase on a relatively low-volume segment of their business. who knows they'll probably do it eventually but stuff like the imac pro is going to be the very last product that makes the change.

i heard rumblings of the imac pro having face id; maybe they're making use of the secure enclave in the a10 to make that happen?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Generic Monk posted:

obviously faster than the intel equivalents and cheaper to acquire

Source (and not useless benchmark comparisons that have been well discussed).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought their license with Qualcomm made putting ARM based chips in desktops and laptops cost prohibitive due to licen.....

Oh. Right. The iMac pro is starting at $5k

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eames posted:

I‘m sure that one anti-ARM mac guy will be along shortly to poo poo on this posting :allears:

If it's me you're talking about I'm not anti-ARM mac, I'm anti-the-idea-that-Apple-can-just-flip-the-switch. This is not evidence against my position.

Also that dude tweeting made a bunch of unwarranted leaps to conclusions based on "maybes" in the technical guy's analysis.

Jealous Cow posted:

I thought their license with Qualcomm made putting ARM based chips in desktops and laptops cost prohibitive due to licen.....

Oh. Right. The iMac pro is starting at $5k

What? Apple doesn't pay license fees to Qualcomm for ARM, they pay them to ARM Holdings. You know, the guys who own the ARM architecture.

(Marginal) Cost has never been the reason. Apple would save a huge amount of money; Intel charges quasi-monopolistic prices. (But see below, marginal cost is not the only thing they have to think about)

High performance CPU cores are incredibly expensive and difficult to design, and are not one-size-fits-all. Apple designs their ARM cores for phones and tablets, not desktop and laptop computers. As a result, Apple has ARM cores that could maybe be an upgrade from Intel in the Macbook, but don't make any sense for the rest of the Mac product line.

Could Apple try to design a new core for that? Sure, but the more important question is whether it makes sense, and from the outside it doesn't. iOS volumes are high enough to make the expense worthwhile, Mac volumes are not. (Opportunity cost plays a role here too: competing head to head with Intel would mean assigning your top architects and designers to the project, and then they aren't available for iOS cores.)

Also: Let's say Apple did do this. Would they beat Intel's performance? Maybe, but probably not by much -- Intel's still quite good. Both times that Apple has switched instruction sets on the Mac, they had a considerable leg up: the new CPUs were much faster than the incumbent. That allowed them to use software emulation to keep customers happy while there was still lots of non-native software out in the field. While I'm sure they'd love to get away from Intel now, they are in a situation where any attempt to switch the whole Mac product line would be met with derision and poor sales because who wants to buy a "pro" computer which runs all their software like rear end?

That's what makes it tough. They don't just need to match Intel's performance, they need to beat it by a lot. They also need to justify undertaking the project on sales volumes that will probably make the amortized cost per unit sold worse than just paying Intel's highway robbery prices.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Generic Monk posted:

i heard rumblings of the imac pro having face id; maybe they're making use of the secure enclave in the a10 to make that happen?

Integrating the true depth camera into the Mac line would be so loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Microsoft did it, like, a while back

People didn't think it was that cool