Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is Cyber City Oedo 808 as much fun as it looks? Don't care if it's "good" or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty decent and it's short.

Watch the UK dub.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/11/08-1/hidive-adds-mecha-anime-space-runaway-ideon

Ideon got picked up for legal streaming. Guess that's another series in the backlog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mimir posted:

Is Cyber City Oedo 808 as much fun as it looks? Don't care if it's "good" or not.

Yes, but the dub is mandatory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/11/08-1/hidive-adds-mecha-anime-space-runaway-ideon

Ideon got picked up for legal streaming. Guess that's another series in the backlog.

The main series is dull, plodding, and has a terrible ending, and while the movie’s are much better, they’re divergent enough and cover so little material that they can only serve as companion pieces rather than replacements to it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I never even heard of HiDive until this was announced. What are the chances they're mostly a North American license and it'll be on Crunchyroll or Funimation's App in Europe? Not that I know if that's even a thing with anime streaming apps, but it happens with Netflix here so I'm hoping.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mimir posted:

Yes and it's good

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Ideon (TV)'s ending was "Poochie died on his way back to his home planet" tier. I would have been so mad if it hadn't been for the two movies, with the second providing an actual ending.

Instead I was just sad. :negative:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mimir posted:

Yes and it's also legit good, and seconding that you should watch it dubbed and try to find the version with the UK OST.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

poo poo hot shitter, really.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New trailer for mazinger infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCjRKXwdIho

You can see not-gendo, not-eureka and a bit more action from the two mecha fight scenes in the movie.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just finished Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu. Very good show, I enjoyed it a lot.

So when's the space sequel with adult Daiya whose voice has not broken at all?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was not expecting Xabungle to just blatantly admit that the dancers are also sex workers. Also, how the scene where the revelation that the rules are written in a vague contradictory way specifically to create conflict is presented like a joke about Elchi being unable to understand the rules is so good.

Xabungle is so good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching Zambot 3. I'm 15 episodes in- apparently 16 is where the infamous human bombs start, if the title is any indication anyways.

It's a good show. While a lot of the plot is typical Mazinger-esque monster of the week fare so far, a lot of this stuff on the periphery like this developing refugee crisis from the Mecha-boost (Wtf is that name) attacks, the scapegoating of the Jin family for essentially being immigrants during this time, a seeming hatred for the Zambot from the citizens and Kappei's frustrations with having to pilot while not being appreciated or understood is all super interesting.

I think its shaping up to be my favorite non-0079 show from Tomino so far.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is the rahxephon movie worth watching? i've read it explains some things

i didnt particularly like the series, i think it missed the point of what made eva so good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Zambot 3.

:smith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zambot 3 is a masterpiece.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I find Zambot 3 to be a more poignant tragedy than Zeta, Victory or even Ideon (though Ideon comes close). It is some top shelf Tomino and it is a shame that it gets overlooked so often just because it is old.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is its animation as janky and low-budget as 0079?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

It's way jankier. Most of the time it's not a nice looking show even if you only compare it to its contemporaries.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ninjewtsu posted:

Zambot wishes it had 79's budget.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

GimmickMan posted:

I find Zambot 3 to be a more poignant tragedy than Zeta, Victory or even Ideon (though Ideon comes close). It is some top shelf Tomino and it is a shame that it gets overlooked so often just because it is old.

It's definitely a historical landmark. In retrospect, the fact it's a super robot series -and a very old one at that- might have inevitably lowered its profile when the sub-genre became less popular, especially after Gundam came into the picture and took all the accolades.

Relin posted:

is the rahxephon movie worth watching? i've read it explains some things

i didnt particularly like the series, i think it missed the point of what made eva so good

The movie is an alternate version of the story with some changes to the characters and a different ending. I don't remember the key details of the film myself, but I preferred the TV series. It was obviously influenced by Evangelion yet, in my opinion, still managed to set itself apart in the long run and did a few things better.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 19, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One thing I liked about Zambot 3 was the mirroring between the beginning and the ending. The show begins with Kappei fighting alone in the Zambo-Ace, wanting the adoration of everyone. You actually have to wait a few episodes for the other two pilots to be introduced and to see the proper Zambot 3 itself, and several times Kappei doesn't even want to combine with them at first.

The ending kind of has a monkey's paw feeling to it- Kappei finally gets what he initially wanted at the very beginning. He saves the earth alone just with the Zambo-Ace, everybody loves him etc., but at a high cost he never wanted to pay, when he stopped actually caring about wanting those things, and he can only end up utterly devastated.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the Patlabor movie. It's really good.

But i do have a question. Was I not paying close enough attention and missed the part where they explained why the Ark was set up to jettison sections of itself? I mean, the Ark was basically the administrative building for a construction project, right? Why would it have a self-destruct system at all?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched the Patlabor movie. It's really good.

But i do have a question. Was I not paying close enough attention and missed the part where they explained why the Ark was set up to jettison sections of itself? I mean, the Ark was basically the administrative building for a construction project, right? Why would it have a self-destruct system at all?

It was designed by a mad man

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I knew we never should have trusted Pete Campbell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GorfZaplen posted:

So why would he include a "foil my plans" system? And then a back-up manual "foil my plans" button?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

So why would he include a "foil my plans" system? And then a back-up manual "foil my plans" button?

He was insane

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

He was insane

That plus hella hubris. Dude was so confident that nobody would be able to stop his plan even if they knew what was up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Srice posted:

That plus hella hubris. Dude was so confident that nobody would be able to stop his plan even if they knew what was up.

Sure, but imagine what the guys at Shinohara Heavy Industries thought when they got those plans. I mean, they established pretty well that SHI was desperate and wouldn't ask question about the black box OS if it meant they could stay in business. But the Ark wasn't a black box. Hoba didn't build that thing by himself. He was like, "here are the plans for the administrative building for the Babylon Project. I'm a software developer but I made sure that my contract included that I could design this building without any input from anyone else" and the SHI guys took those plans and built a giant techno warehouse with floors that broke off in sections and a manual self destruct with a button shaped like a gun.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hello my new favorite mecha anime is star driver who else likes star driver

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
All they saw was a cost saving since their software programmer was apparently an architect. One with a flair for the dramatic they shared.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sure, but imagine what the guys at Shinohara Heavy Industries thought when they got those plans. I mean, they established pretty well that SHI was desperate and wouldn't ask question about the black box OS if it meant they could stay in business. But the Ark wasn't a black box. Hoba didn't build that thing by himself. He was like, "here are the plans for the administrative building for the Babylon Project. I'm a software developer but I made sure that my contract included that I could design this building without any input from anyone else" and the SHI guys took those plans and built a giant techno warehouse with floors that broke off in sections and a manual self destruct with a button shaped like a gun.

The film is commentary on how the construction and expansion boom of 80s japan was being done unsustainably and without critical thought

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Erg posted:

He drives the girls wild.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Erg posted:

Watch the intro of the movie and only the intro once you finish the show, the movies a compilation but the openings set after the series.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Artum posted:

Watch the intro of the movie and only the intro once you finish the show, the movies a compilation but the openings set after the series.

Watch the intro of the movie because the line "that's no Cybody... it's a Galactic Pretty Boy!" is spoken in complete seriousness by a soldier.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Star Driver is one of those anime that I have in my list of "must watch" but haven't gotten to do it yet.

Maybe I could do it now, having finished Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu (Gaiking was very good by the way)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I kind of liked Captain Earth enough to watch the whole thing would I likely enjoy Star Driver?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

If I kind of liked Captain Earth enough to watch the whole thing would I likely enjoy Star Driver?

Captain earth was basically all of star drivers faults dialed up to 11 so probably? Like its actually a good show unlike the disappointing mess that was captain earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They do a decent job of characterising the bad guys in star driver and you end up liking them instead of captain earths strategy of introducing a character and having nothing in their introduction ever really amount to anything.

God it loving annoyed me how they never went anywhere with the boxer despite giving him way more time.