Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I walked out thinking the best scene in the movie was in the dead middle where the Justice League has to do battle with a confused friend and the Flash has a neat moment involving something happening in slow-mo while the faint strings of a certain 1980's movie soundtrack plays. It turns out lots of people liked this scene, and honestly the whole loving movie should have been the plot point I'm hinting at spread across the entire 2 hour run time..

That was apparently Snyder and the Beavis Crew's original plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't Superman have a beard when he was revived in the comics? Or was that a mullet?

Whatever, just say it was a side-effect of the process and leave it at that. But no, we gotta give the CGI department more to do I guess.

Mullet. There was no excuse not to have mullet Superman with really long fingernails in this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mullet. There was no excuse not to have mullet Superman with really long fingernails in this.

Cavill had a no long nail clause for the filming of Mission Impossible 6

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

And that doesn't make it sensible. A lot of businesses have massively unrealistic expectations for profit projections and usually blame something completely random when it inevitably isn't the record-breaker they expect.

It's perfectly sensible; I'd say it's downright essential. This is a competitive market, so if your blockbuster makes back twice its budget but Disney's makes back quintuple its budget, then their market value will improve that much more than your own, making you lag further behind. That's a very real threat when a company like Disney is absolutely devouring every company in sight; they're rumors Disney's looking into acquiring 20th Century Fox, for goodness' sake. It's more than just simple greed going on here, it's more like several different competing kinds of greed with threatened pride on top.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In other words, a phony dick measuring contest.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In other words, a phony dick measuring contest.

:capitalism:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why didn't they just let Superman have facial hair instead of CG-ing his mustache off, like nothing about that situation makes sense to me

Also lol at Batman's Disappearing Widow's Peak

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

precision posted:

Why didn't they just let Superman have facial hair instead of CG-ing his mustache off, like nothing about that situation makes sense to me

One reason is probably the various execs having ridiculous creative control to approve looks based on market surveys, their own gut, and other junk. Another is probably because of all the already made tie-in merchandise using promotional images of smooth-lipped Supes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently it was also something of a dick-waving contest between WB and I guess Paramount. Paramount won because of Cavill's contract status.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
WB also needed this movie to be out by November for reasons. So any changes made had to be made fast. Apparently the CG for the movie was on a tight time-table even when only looking at the Synder material. Even some of the late early-screeners were seeing Doomsday as a stand in for Steppenwulf because the CG for the latter was not done yet. The new shoots were also so rushed that Gal Gadot didn't even appear in some of the scenes where people are talking to Wonder Woman. Instead they used her stunt double and you can actually see it if you look really hard.

Whedon tried to get around actor limitations by using green screening and inserting actors back into scenes in post. I leave it up to the viewer on whether this works or not. Just don't look too closely at the background in any scenes involving involving Aquaman.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 19, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'd rather watch Buckaroo Banzai if in the mood for rushed ad-hoc movies

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I'm sorry for chain-posting about this movie, but I'm reading up on who did what scene and apparently some of the Aquaman scenes are directed by James Wan and were taken from the set of the Aquaman movie. So apparently there was three directorial visions in this movie and I'm not a weirdo for thinking some of Aquaman's scenes were off putting for some reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm sorry for chain-posting about this movie, but I'm reading up on who did what scene and apparently some of the Aquaman scenes are directed by James Wan and were taken from the set of the Aquaman movie. So apparently there was three directorial visions in this movie and I'm not a weirdo for thinking some of Aquaman's scenes were off putting for some reason.

That's just your attraction to Jason Momoa coming through

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inescapable Duck posted:

As came up earlier in the thread, they still managed to diverge the plot significantly from the games, albeit probably for the better.

Kinda funny how King Kong's seemingly entered the kaiju mythos properly at last and influence has gone both ways.

Once again SNK points the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryKX-fwBXfo

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can't believe his name is actually loving Steppenwolf, I thought that was just RLM making a dumb joke.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I can't believe his name is actually loving Steppenwolf, I thought that was just RLM making a dumb joke.

Jack Kirby came up with some very funky names for the baddies in New Gods. You've got Darkseid, DeSaad, Granny Goodness, the Deep Six, the Female Furies, it's nuts.

I mean they could have chosen Kalibak but he's really tied to Orion's story, and without that connection he's basically just a big hulking monster guy. Steppenwolf makes sense as sort of a scout or forerunner (the name is basically German for "coyote"), but yeah, even when he appeared in comics there was already the band of the same name and the Steppenwolf theater and so on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jack Kirby came up with some very funky names for the baddies in New Gods. You've got Darkseid, DeSaad, Granny Goodness, the Deep Six, the Female Furies, it's nuts.

I mean they could have chosen Kalibak but he's really tied to Orion's story, and without that connection he's basically just a big hulking monster guy. Steppenwolf makes sense as sort of a scout or forerunner (the name is basically German for "coyote"), but yeah, even when he appeared in comics there was already the band of the same name and the Steppenwolf theater and so on.

I was pleased to see Jack Kirby get a big shout out in the credits for JL.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really would love to see a New Gods standalone movie but man it'd be hard to pull off. You'd have to have Baz Luhrmann directing it or something.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Zack Synder had clear ideas for the New Gods in SvB and I want to see his take, I do not think his vision was realized in Justice League

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WB/DC's problem is trying to play catch up instead of realizing what they have on their hands. They're already doing supposedly doing Darkseid for JL 2. With The News Gods, you've got a Shakespearean Space Opera. It could be their version on Star Wars.

The comics were the same way. When they did the New 52, the first story ark in the JLA comic was JLA Vs Darkseid. I mean, where do you go after that?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really would love to see a New Gods standalone movie but man it'd be hard to pull off. You'd have to have Baz Luhrmann directing it or something.

Or Tarsem.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yes please. Definitely over Baz.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tarsem is also kinda similar in style to Snyder.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Davros1 posted:

WB/DC's problem is trying to play catch up instead of realizing what they have on their hands. They're already doing supposedly doing Darkseid for JL 2. With The News Gods, you've got a Shakespearean Space Opera. It could be their version on Star Wars.

The comics were the same way. When they did the New 52, the first story ark in the JLA comic was JLA Vs Darkseid. I mean, where do you go after that?

It doesn't help that ever since it came out that WB were kicking off Wonder Woman writers and directors that they've been burning off credibility as 'the experimental comic movies that let the directors do what they want' that they tried cultivating with MoS and BvS. It only got worse with Suicide Squad and now this.

The comics suffer from the issue of playing super conservative with risks when new ideas don't immediately pay off. Also that Geoff Johns is obsessed with "his" DC heroes.

IMO even if Snyder was given all the freedom in the world, I'm not sure if he would have done New Gods' justice simply because they're a little more complicated than the angel/demon symbology he was going for.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, I think it was HUNDU that called Immortals the unofficial sequel to 300.

With Baz we'd get a lavish musical sequence though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

Yeah, I think it was HUNDU that called Immortals the unofficial sequel to 300.

With Baz we'd get a lavish musical sequence though.

IIRC it was even initially announced as a semi-sequel/spinoff. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Pigbuster posted:

It's perfectly sensible; I'd say it's downright essential. This is a competitive market, so if your blockbuster makes back twice its budget but Disney's makes back quintuple its budget, then their market value will improve that much more than your own, making you lag further behind. That's a very real threat when a company like Disney is absolutely devouring every company in sight; they're rumors Disney's looking into acquiring 20th Century Fox, for goodness' sake. It's more than just simple greed going on here, it's more like several different competing kinds of greed with threatened pride on top.

Fair point.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Awww, now we won't ever hear what Manson thinks of Tarantino's next movie (which is now at Sony after the whole Harvey Weinstein thing).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A hypothetical Tarsem New Gods would lose Eiko Ishioka, who I imagine accounts for at least half of the visual flair of Tarsem's movies. I imagine costuming is going to be VERY important.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Having watched it this weekend, Thor: Ragnarok pulled off that Kirby aesthetic perfectly, although there was a lot of Moebius in there too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

A hypothetical Tarsem New Gods would lose Eiko Ishioka, who I imagine accounts for at least half of the visual flair of Tarsem's movies. I imagine costuming is going to be VERY important.

RIP, the whole world is poorer for losing her.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Having watched it this weekend, Thor: Ragnarok pulled off that Kirby aesthetic perfectly, although there was a lot of Moebius in there too.

It was really hard not to compare this movie to Thor: Ragnarok. Both movies had weak main villains, both movies had flashbacks to an age of heroes, both had our heroes fighting each other, and both tried really hard to be funny. It's unbelievable how much better Thor worked on all those fronts.

EDIT: The Wonder Woman movie also had a good plot dump to an age of heroes, but unlike this movie it was portrayed as a storybook and used highly stylized art, while this movie tried to show it and it kind of looked like it was ripping off LotR of all things.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Young Freud posted:

There was a hell of a Chris Foss influence, too.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Shaft reboot has Alexandra Shipp, Samuel L. Jackson, Richard Roundtree, and Jesse T. Usher, so it's like three generations of Shafts

https://deadline.com/2017/11/alexandra-shipp-shaft-remake-samuel-l-jackson-richard-roundtree-tim-story-1202212577/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There is going to be another Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai according to RZA

quote:

“Jim Jarmusch, my good buddy, and Forest Whitaker, have both signed on with me and another writer named Dallas Jackson, to executive producer another ‘Ghost Dog.’ And we already have something written. So maybe ‘Ghost Dog’ will make its way back to the silver screen, or small screen,”

https://theplaylist.net/ghost-dog-sequel-works-20171120/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ghost Dog is fuckin rad, though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Forrest is going to be an actual ghost this time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume this far out he'd play the mentor character.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so down for another Ghost Dog, still one of my all-time loving faves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFMY4jJ6SVE

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The MSJ posted:

They also both graduated from the Art Center College of Design in the same class. They literally developed their styles together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I assume this far out he'd play the mentor character.

That'd be dope if they got the kid actor to come back and be Ghost Dog jr. to Forrest Whitaker's old dog sensei.

• Locked thread