Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man of Steel was really good and the suit was fine. Really really psyched to finally see STEPPENWOLF realized on the big screen after all these years and all those classic stories. Seriously, why not just use Darkseid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They probably didn't want to blow their load too early, I mean, if you use Darkseid in the first JL movie, what's next?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Speaking of Steppenwolf, did they use the New 52 Earth 2 design of him? For a while even after I saw the scene where Luthor is talking to his grey glob in BvS I was like why is Aries invading Earth with Parademons?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lomzus posted:

Justice Leagie opens with 96 million, who would have thought that JL would open that low.

Holy loving poo poo that's bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really can't believe that a JL movie made under $100 mil opening weekend. Like that should be the baseline.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Samuringa posted:

They probably didn't want to blow their load too early, I mean, if you use Darkseid in the first JL movie, what's next?

The problem is the supposition that an intro JL movie needs a villain in the first place. It doesn't, especially considering how holistically speaking the role of the Avengers is to fight a thing, while the role of the JL is as a form of government and planetary peacekeeping. It could've just been a story about restoring order to the planet and reviving Superman while establishing the JL, which would obviate the need to have a dumb idiot like loving Steppenwolf eating up screentime in the first place.

The whole idea behind JL in the DCEU was fundamentally wrongheaded and ignored the individual appeal of the JL in direct comparison to the Avengers (which is as pure a definition of "teamup" as there is) to chase after what Marvel did well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Samuringa posted:

Apparently [Lex and Deathstroke if the post credits is to be believed. In reality nothing probably since Justice League 2 is probably not going to happen for a long time now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Apparently [Lex and Deathstroke if the post credits is to be believed. In reality nothing probably since Justice League 2 is probably not going to happen for a long time now.
Are we sure that isn’t some kind of lead-in to Suicide Squad 2?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

lomzus posted:

Justice Leagie opens with 96 million, who would have thought that JL would open that low.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 146 million
Thor Ragnarok 122 million
Spiderman Homecoming 117 million
Wonder Woman 103 million (great legs, biggest total gross of all superhero movies this year at 412 million)

Batman vs Superman opened at 166 million and Suicide Squad at 133 million.

https://twitter.com/BORReport/statu...263456874491905

It's also out there that it did double that overseas, so there is that.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-justice-league-international-opening-china-1202618624/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

You could turn it into some kind of hybrid SS vs Legion of Doom in the vein of Secret Six and that could theoretically be pretty awesome. You would just absolutely have to not make SS be full on heroes, and they would have to do some bad poo poo even against the LoD.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

X-O posted:

It's like the scripts for Suicide Squad 2 and Justice League 2 got switched

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jiro posted:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-justice-league-international-opening-china-1202618624/

DCEU movies (and indeed, most tentpole American films) do super well overseas and especially in China as a matter of course. It'll most likely (as in almost certainly) be profitable, that isn't the issue. The issue is that, with them doing so badly domestically (and make no mistake, a sub-nine figure opening for Justice League is ludicrously bad), it'll disincentivize DCE/WB from making these films because the lion's share of the promotion and marketing is always, always focused on the USA. They also have to get international distributors, meaning they make way less money per ticket sold in China than they do back here in the states.

Like, right now, Thor Ragnarok is at roughly 250 million domestic against a 180 million dollar budget. JL will almost certainly not make that much over its theatrical run, against a budget of 300 million. Thor will probably end at or around 300 million total domestic. And that's the third Thor movie against the Justice loving League.

It's super, duper bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

I mean that sounds good, but it's really not for Justice League. Considering it opened pretty much everywhere, including China, at once that's a really disappointing haul. It's lagging behind Thor 3 in China. It's China release was also the widest China release for any American film.

BvS had a worldwide total of $420+ million on opening weekend. Justice League is looking at about $280 million worldwide.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
More like Justice Losers. :smug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

That hasn't really stopped them so far though. We got TDKR, Death of Superman, a Wonder Woman movie and basically "Superman Begins" before they killed him and formed a super team. Plus a villain ensemble movie on top of it. Doesn't seem like concern over "blowing their load" entered much into the plan, assuming they planned anything, so why hold back on Darkseid?

Lex, Zod, Doomsday, Ares, Joker and all the SS villains...

"What next?" indeed. Who gives a poo poo? Especially about loving Steppenwolf for crying out loud?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are we sure that isn’t some kind of lead-in to Suicide Squad 2?

I was supposed to be a lead in to the Batman solo film that Affleck was originally going to make. Then Affleck stepped down as a director and is now trying to get out of staring in so who knows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Domestic opening weekends for every major superhero film since 2015.

$191m - Avengers: Age of Ultron
$179m - Captain America: Civil War
$166m - Batman v. Superman
$146m - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
$133m - Suicide Squad
$132m - Deadpool
$122m - Thor: Ragnarok
$117m - Spider-Man: Homecoming
$103m - Wonder Woman
$96m - Justice League
$88m - Logan
$85m - Doctor Strange
$65m - X-Men: Apocalypse
$57m - Ant-Man
$35m - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
$25m - Fantastic Four

Justice League, if done right, easily should have been at the top of this list.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

That hasn't really stopped them so far though. We got TDKR, Death of Superman, a Wonder Woman movie and basically "Superman Begins" before they killed him and formed a super team. Plus a villain ensemble movie on top of it. Doesn't seem like concern over "blowing their load" entered much into the plan, assuming they planned anything, so why hold back on Darkseid?

Lex, Zod, Doomsday, Zeus, Joker and all the SS villains...

"What next?" indeed. Who gives a poo poo? Especially about loving Steppenwolf for crying out loud?

Most comic book franchises start with the biggest of the big villains so why JL went with a total nobody is weird.

And worrying about what's next should take a backseat to making sure the present movie is a big enough success in the first place so there's even a what's next to worry about.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I’m going to make a prediction here that JL is going to leg it out to at least $300 domestic.

Opening weekend isn’t about the quality of the film — it’s about the quality of the ad campaign and/or the general buzz surrounding the film.

I think many people are just waiting to hear some word of mouth on this before dropping their cash, and on balance the word of mouth has been lukewarm but generally positive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yakmouth posted:

I’m going to make a prediction here that JL is going to leg it out to at least $300 domestic.

Opening weekend isn’t about the quality of the film — it’s about the quality of the ad campaign and/or the general buzz surrounding the film.

I think many people are just waiting to hear some word of mouth on this before dropping their cash, and on balance the word of mouth has been lukewarm but generally positive.

No way that JL will have a 3x multiplier with a B+ Cinemascore. Also Pixar's new movie opens up next weekend, so goodbye family dollars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

No. Coco is going to come out and take a lot of audiences. Thor still has legs, and then in less than a month Star Wars is coming to dominate the box office. Justice League doesn't have the positive word of mouth that Wonder Woman did and isn't drawing a lot of that audience.

And word of mouth is "eh it's okay" which doesn't mean too much when there are other movies coming out and there's a competing film in the same genre which is much better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Most comic book franchises start with the biggest of the big villains so why JL went with a total nobody is weird.

And worrying about what's next should take a backseat to making sure the present movie is a big enough success in the first place so there's even a what's next to worry about.

Well, DC started with Zod. Then made Batman a villain along with Lex, gave us Ares in a movie largely independent of the other films, rushed into gathering everyone to team up and battle...Steppenwolf. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I have no idea what DC is trying to do.

You could "shoot your load" with Darkseid, show all these characters doing what they do and make solo movies that work backwards/sideways or whatever. They're just...kind of randomly doing poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also there's nothing really else in theaters until Star Wars almost a month from now.

But the thing about heads rolling at WB: they already did that. They basically radically changed course before this movie was finished. They aren't going to cancel their new course before even trying it. Aquaman is almost through filming, Shazam is cast and will begin filming early next year, WW2 is a given, Flash has its script finalized and begins filming soon, and each of those is from directors people actually like and will be singular and essentially stand alone visions.

There's a lot of poo poo that will probably be chopped though, like Batgirl, all those joker films, Gotham City sirens, etc.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 19, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really wish Michael Rosenbaum could have played Flash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There is no real plan with this ‘DCEU’ as far as anyone can tell. The MCU has been gradually building to the Infinity Gauntlet since Avengers. Before that, Iron Man was building towards Avengers.

They have already blown their load with the recognizable storylines, and the Death of Superman was a total waste as far as I’m concerned.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

X-O posted:

No way that JL will have a 3x multiplier with a B+ Cinemascore. Also Pixar's new movie opens up next weekend, so goodbye family dollars.

Well, being a November opening hurt it bad, I'll grant you that. Still, it's not unprecedented and what's the fun of making a safe prediction?
(I also predicted Wonder Woman would underperform Dark World -- I'm not going to pretend my guesses should be taken as gospel truth.)

I just think it's too early to be making funeral arrangements for the DCEU, is all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, DC started with Zod. Then made Batman a villain along with Lex, gave us Ares in a movie largely independent of the other films, rushed into gathering everyone to team up and battle...Steppenwolf. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I have no idea what DC is trying to do.

You could "shoot your load" with Darkseid, show all these characters doing what they do and make solo movies that work backwards/sideways or whatever. They're just...kind of randomly doing poo poo.

Maybe it's a holdover from when Justice League was a two-part movie? Steppenwolf was the bad guy in part one, then Darkseid rolls in like Gannon at the end, takes over the evil plot and then he's the enemy in part two?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hiddenriverninja posted:

I really wish Michael Rosenbaum could have played Flash.

Michael Rosenbaum is too good to play dime store Tom Holland.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Flash has no director or script and is nowhere close to being ready to film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I’m looking at the upcoming DC release schedule and the next three years, the films coming out are Aquaman, Shazam, and a Wonder Woman sequel? I’m confused as to why they are doing it that way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Flash has no director or script and is nowhere close to being ready to film.

It's had a bit of a storied pre-production, never mind a troubled production, hasn't it?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have already blown their load with the recognizable storylines, and the Death of Superman was a total waste as far as I’m concerned.
The extent to which the DCEU has already blown it's share of big time famous comics stories on total garbage movies is loving staggering.

Like, take everything else about Batman v Superman - Zach Snyder's directing, WB's meddling, Justice League setup, rapist-branding, laughably bad villains, jars of piss -- and set it aside, and what you still have, at the end of the day, is the world's most famous and well respected Batman story, turned into a Superman story. Think about that. Even if that had worked, it still wouldn't have worked, and it basically poisoned the well of actually getting a DKR story for at least a decade.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You could say the same thing in the other direction though? Like, they turned Death of Superman into a story in which the main character is Batman and Superman is an aloof nobody.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every Batman movie since Begins has been like three iconic comics each though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's had a bit of a storied pre-production, never mind a troubled production, hasn't it?

I'm pretty sure at this point it's just not going to happen. Maybe they'll make a movie called Flashpoint, but it's not going to be a solo Flash film and will probably focus more on Wonder Woman.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arist posted:

You could say the same thing in the other direction though? Like, they turned Death of Superman into a story in which the main character is Batman and Superman is an aloof nobody.
Yup. Why tell two great stories in two different movies when you can tell two stories badly at the same time?

Like, the weird thing about BvS is that the movie does things just to do things, all the loving time, like a crazy person on meth. Batman is old (sort of) in BvS because Batman is old in the most famous story where Batman fought Superman, but Batman's age doesn't really mean much and doesn't have anything like the enormous thematic weight it had in DKR; the iconic comics panel showed an older man in a mecha-suit fighting Superman, so gently caress you, that's what's happening.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 19, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's a lot of poo poo that will probably be chopped though, like Batgirl, all those joker films, Gotham City sirens, etc.

Cyborg will probably get axed, maybe he'll be rolled into one of the other films but all those movies are Joker delivery vehicles and I think WB is going to go back to that well. Though I keep seeing Affleck wants out of Batman ASAP, though I like to believe that its more because of his personal problems than anything.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Yakmouth posted:

Well, being a November opening hurt it bad, I'll grant you that.

Thor opened up two weeks ago and made serious bank. November has nothing to do with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

twistedmentat posted:

Cyborg will probably get axed, maybe he'll be rolled into one of the other films but all those movies are Joker delivery vehicles and I think WB is going to go back to that well. Though I keep seeing Affleck wants out of Batman ASAP, though I like to believe that its more because of his personal problems than anything.

Oh I thought they already had chopped that one, which is a shame cause I really like the character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were already saying Cyborg wasn't getting a solo movie and would just team up with the Flash.

• Locked thread