Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hokuto posted:

2nd OG stream getting started shortly!

Edit: Stream done, the war on Christmas is over and Christmas is dead

The Steel Grinch Squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Inferno-sama posted:

The Steel Grinch Squadron.

Updating my stream title

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The War on Christmas should be the subtitle of the Gundam Wing movie. I don’t know how anyone can enjoy it; a movie about a bunch of mean boys bullying a little girl who’s just trying to enjoy the Christmas presents her daddy gave her.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Getsuya posted:

The War on Christmas should be the subtitle of the Gundam Wing movie. I don’t know how anyone can enjoy it; a movie about a bunch of mean boys bullying a little girl who’s just trying to enjoy the Christmas presents her daddy gave her.

I think there was something about the salsa in it, but it's been a while since I watched it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah the little girl tries to teach a stuck up noblewoman how to dance but the noblewoman is all like ‘shut up kid you’re adopted’

It’s a really bad movie.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I can't believe Wufei gave into peer pressure, abandoning the message that it's okay for a boy to like little girl things and instead siding with toxic masculinity. It was always regressive, but it really doesn't age well.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Even though I haven't finished Moon Dwellers I decided to buy SRW V and and like the latter a lot more - MD has too many units and I don't really care for most of them, the translation is better in SRV V and it doesn't have the multitude of keywords in every story scene that raise even more questions.

Still, I'd rather finish the one before the other, since the differences in battle systems are rather noticeable - does MD pick up the pace/become somewhat ridiculous later on? Due to the rather dry translation even the most exciting story developments seem rather mundane and uniteresting, and the story follows an already established plot arc of characters I barely know.

In retrospect, I should have seen it coming before buying the game, it's eighth in the series or something, right?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Depending on how you count, MD is preceded by three OG games, four OG games, or four OG games, four Lord of Elemental games, two Endless Frontier games, Project X Zone, and I think there's at least one Another Century's Episode somewhere in there.

Oh and the SRW Alpha series is semi-canon now, I think.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's at least a canonical alternate universe, along with Hero Senki and from there the Classic series.

OG continuity is a bit of a mess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
SRW gets too wrapped up in its own continuity. It's why everyone remembers Z as the best SRW ever until the sequels went increasingly up their own asses, but OG isn't even building up to a clear endpoint so it has an infinite amount of rear end to go up. Z didn't reveal its actual plot until 70% of the way through the last game but at least you could tell it was trying to go in a direction.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked the Z2 games because I don't speak or read a word of Japanese and just watched the cool robots blow poo poo it up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The clear endpoint of ogs is banpresto going bankrupt

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Szurumbur posted:

Still, I'd rather finish the one before the other, since the differences in battle systems are rather noticeable - does MD pick up the pace/become somewhat ridiculous later on? Due to the rather dry translation even the most exciting story developments seem rather mundane and uniteresting, and the story follows an already established plot arc of characters I barely know.

In retrospect, I should have seen it coming before buying the game, it's eighth in the series or something, right?

MD is a breather story/wheel spinning between 2ndOGs going all out and having you fight like 6 different for real gods and before the Alpha 3 plot finally gets going in earnest. A bunch of wild stuff happens, but not much of it really matters or lands if you don't know the deal and yeah, it's game 4 or 9 or 12 in the series. The stuff you need to know from non SRW OG games is pretty minimal, but I say this from the position of someone that knows it so fart noise. On the plus side there's english versions of OG1, OG2 and 2ndOGs has a full translation via a website so you can get 90% of the way there if you have the time and inclination to mess about to get caught up for when the next OG comes out.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

There's more Zuvorg, but ehhhhhhhhh... There's always more Zuvorg. Next game will be about loving up ALL of Balmar's poo poo, but somehow we'll still need to kill renegade Zuvorg. They're the new DC.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Maybe once the Balmar actually start doing stuff again they'll get with the program and join us to gently caress Ruach's poo poo ahahahahahahah couldn't say that with a straight face.

But for real, I cannot wait for HD Banpreios. It's been over a decade, Banpresto, just gimme the goods already.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

MarsDragon posted:

Maybe once the Balmar actually start doing stuff again they'll get with the program and join us to gently caress Ruach's poo poo ahahahahahahah couldn't say that with a straight face.

But for real, I cannot wait for HD Banpreios. It's been over a decade, Banpresto, just gimme the goods already.

They're only gonna give us our fix if we keep buying the OG series, even if it's kinda meandering around, imo.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

This, so much this.

Also, we're due for the Valzcard and company. I mean, it's not like we'll get the Battle 7, but the Valzacard is pretty close.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
gently caress that, when are Folka and the Laldabaoth coming back

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

They still give you jets and MP Huckies, but the Shura are as gone as they can get.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm long since at the point where I'm anticipating characters I actually know/like appearing in OG with trepidation.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

HitTheTargets posted:

They still give you jets and MP Huckies, but the Shura are as gone as they can get.

All we need is a Crossgate and the Swordian can go all "Exelion in Alpha 3" in here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I think the writing in the OG games would be better if they allowed more characters to be done after their game instead of vaguely hanging around forever.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Droyer posted:

I think the writing in the OG games would be better if they allowed more characters to be done after their game instead of vaguely hanging around forever.

RIP Yuuki and Carla's Plot Relevance
2005 - 2005

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Droyer posted:

Then we'd only have the SRX team, the Alpha 2 and 3 guys, maybe Ariel given the ending of MD, and Compachi Kaiser. You could argue keeping the guys who debuted in Original Generation, like Latooni and Kai, around, and probably Gilliam since Hero Senki. But still, not that many people left.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Then the new characters introduced in the next game have time to breathe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Yeah, don't introduce the whole rest of everyone until late in the next game, at the earliest. And with all new swanky robots.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

HitTheTargets posted:

2005 - 2005

At least Carla still has a modicum of a character dynamic as one of the grunts hanging out in the break room/mess hall all the time? Yuuki just isn't in the game anymore. Though it could be worse - Hugo and Aqua achieved the same status (or less) the instant their debut game was over and I'm really unconvinced Calvina, Touya, and the Akatsuki twins aren't headed the same way.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Also write new stories for old characters. Sure, Excellence Rescue was a whiff, but they came back in full force for MD. How hard would it be to give Kyosuke and Excellen a reason to deploy that isn't babysitting Kusuha until RKO/KRO inevitably wakes up?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

At least Carla still has a modicum of a character dynamic as one of the grunts hanging out in the break room/mess hall all the time? Yuuki just isn't in the game anymore. Though it could be worse - Hugo and Aqua achieved the same status (or less) the instant their debut game was over and I'm really unconvinced Calvina, Touya, and the Akatsuki twins aren't headed the same way.

Didn't Calvina and Touya literally just bug out with the Fury? I'm sure they'll find some way for them to come back.

But if we don't have some kind of MP Soulsaber to put someone into next game, you know, after the game starring the Super Robot meant for mass production and all that, I'll be rather disappointed.

Maybe we can get the non gimped Excellence units back while we're wishing for things.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is Cross Omega worth the hassle of figuring out how to download it?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

No

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
drat, I think I lost my Cross-Omega account. I had Cybuster and Granzon and Valsione. :smith:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I've played the GBA OG games, so I have some knowledge in the lore, but I don't really care to find out more. Oh well, maybe I can sell the game at least, since I have it on a disk.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Szurumbur posted:

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I've played the GBA OG games, so I have some knowledge in the lore, but I don't really care to find out more. Oh well, maybe I can sell the game at least, since I have it on a disk.

If you want to offload an English copy of Moon Dwellers, I'll take it off your hands. For reasons. PM me!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

HitTheTargets posted:

2005 - 2005

Who were Latooni's friends with the jets again? I think they had the sense to get out of the plot entirely, maybe other characters can take the hint.

But I do want Lamia in every game though, preferably if I can shove her in the Vysaga. Give her Axel's mech too because gently caress that dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Who were Latooni's friends with the jets again? I think they had the sense to get out of the plot entirely, maybe other characters can take the hint.

But I do want Lamia in every game though, preferably if I can shove her in the Vysaga. Give her Axel's mech too because gently caress that dude.

Giado and Garnet, they got married, had a kid and retired.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait a loving minute.

What the hell is "Sword of the Big Five" supposed to be? I can't think of anything that'd have come from.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

The clear endpoint of ogs is banpresto going bankrupt

good, i hope they NEVER stop making OGS games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought I read that they make way more profit on OGS games since they get all the profit as opposed to a billion split revenue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

Wait a loving minute.

What the hell is "Sword of the Big Five" supposed to be? I can't think of anything that'd have come from.

The Vysaga has a weapon called the 五大剣 . I looked it up and for some reason Pixiv has a full Vysaga entry so here's the one for that weapon:

五大剣
左手に保持する長剣。
エネルギーを物質化させた物。

Godaiken: A long sword of solidified energy held in its left hand.

• Locked thread