Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

he gon do it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
BLUE PANIC

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i don't doubt labour is ahead but +12 sounds like an outlier

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i don't doubt labour is ahead but +12 sounds like an outlier

There's literally no way you can come to this conclusion. For this to be even close to accurate then public polling needs to be completely off and if that's the case then lab+12 is the only number you have to go on

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the boy always gets the dinner egg

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm tired of all this tory poo poo, stop buggering around and just give me King Corbyn, the writing's on the wall ffs

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Barry Foster posted:

I'm tired of all this tory poo poo, stop buggering around and just give me King Corbyn, the writing's on the wall ffs

That's Lord Protector of the Commonwealth you filthy royalist, Corbyn would never accept the crown

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if youre talking about the dude obsessed with Pittsburgh then holy gently caress hes a terrible poster and im glad hes dead

I'm actually a way better poster than you are. Sorry.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Gum posted:

There's literally no way you can come to this conclusion. For this to be even close to accurate then public polling needs to be completely off and if that's the case then lab+12 is the only number you have to go on

it's extraordinarily unlikely that all the public polls are off by 10 points and the tories hired a pollster with the one weird trick to accurately capturing the feelings of the electorate. i'm old enough to remember a lifetime ago in the US 2012 general, when romney was so confident in the internal polls showing that he'd win that he ordered a barge full of fireworks for his victory celebration. internal polls aren't magically better than public ones and there's no reason to think that whoever the tories hired has the one weird trick that all the public pollsters are missing.

keep in mind that public polls were pretty much dead on for brexit and within the stated margin for error for the nationwide US 2016 vote, the only reason everybody's making GBS threads their pants about how polls don't work anymore is because US statewide polling is poo poo and the americans have an insane electoral system where those matter a lot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's extraordinarily unlikely that all the public polls are off by 10 points

let me tell you about the 2016 us presidential elections

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's extraordinarily unlikely that all the public polls are off by 10 points and the tories hired a pollster with the one weird trick to accurately capturing the feelings of the electorate. i'm old enough to remember a lifetime ago in the US 2012 general, when romney was so confident in the internal polls showing that he'd win that he ordered a barge full of fireworks for his victory celebration. internal polls aren't magically better than public ones and there's no reason to think that whoever the tories hired has the one weird trick that all the public pollsters are missing.

keep in mind that public polls were pretty much dead on for brexit and within the stated margin for error for the nationwide US 2016 vote, the only reason everybody's making GBS threads their pants about how polls don't work anymore is because US statewide polling is poo poo and the americans have an insane electoral system where those matter a lot.

Methodological differences can easily produce a 10+ point gap. There's reason to question the accuracy of the poll but there's nothing to suggest that this result is an outlier

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I get this weird feeling there's an election missing from this analysis.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

financially racist posted:

let me tell you about the 2016 us presidential elections

again, the nationwide polls were within the margin for error, the reason everybody projected a clinton win with near certainty is because her voters + trumps voters were distributed differently then expected because public state polls were poo poo

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Fallen Hamprince posted:

again, the nationwide polls were within the margin for error, the reason everybody projected a clinton win with near certainty is because her voters + trumps voters were distributed differently then expected because public state polls were poo poo

Can you think of any other public polls that have recently shown themselves to be poo poo?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Gum posted:

Can you think of any other public polls that have recently shown themselves to be poo poo?

the last week of UK polling was off by something like 6%, which is big but not twelve. may called the election because she had a crushing lead in polls, but her popularity collapsed when she actually had to campaign and polls captured that relatively accurately

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

haha a russian oligarch is now planning yr death

a Russian oligarch was shot, presumably on the orders of another Russian oligarch, just down the road from me. literally didn't even get a mention in the local papers until a couple days later when Russian media reported it and everyone realised he was rich and then it was like third item on the news and they even did a crimewatch reconstruction.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
are russian oligarchs like highlanders, and putin is the kurgan? how many are left

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

are russian oligarchs like highlanders, and putin is the kurgan? how many are left

Well the dude shot near me lived, but I could certainly believe 6 rounds from a Makarov would be the Russian Oligarch version of beheading.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sounds like Tory supporters need a trigger warning for any articles that has Corbyn news.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I may be on my deathbed but I can still gently caress everything up for those drat ungrateful kids! :corsair:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Set a maximum voting age of 60 and raise it with one year annually until the boomers and their garbage opinions have died off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SteelMentor posted:

I may be on my deathbed but I can still gently caress everything up for those drat ungrateful kids! :corsair:

From Hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!...Corby Dick...

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 00:24 on Nov 20, 2017

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin's gonna steamroll to the Pyrenees before anybody can stop him. Britain will always be important regardless of delusions

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Set a maximum voting age of 60 and raise it with one year annually until the boomers and their garbage opinions have died off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Tories still have 5 years to go before they need to call another election. Unless they piss off the DUP so much they leave the coalition, or I dunno, a bunch of backbenchers resign/are jailed.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I think the way things are going it's not a case of if the Tories collapse, rather when.

That when being very important as people have said earlier in the thread, if The Corbs gets in before Brexit Labour's gonna have a poo poo time with that nightmare and it'll likely poison the terminally reactionary public against Labour again when we get Brexit'd up the rear end. If they collapse post Brexit however, it'll likely murder the Tories for years and give Labour a still lovely time, but probably won't land them the blame for said shittyness.

Of course we could just die.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cerebral Bore posted:

have the strength of your vote depend on how much longer on average you have to live

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

what defines a backbencher

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

They have attacks that have reach

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Lawman 0 posted:

not a minister

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lawman 0 posted:

I believe in UK politics it's 'waste of space and/or child molester'?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

I think the way things are going it's not a case of if the Tories collapse, rather when.

That when being very important as people have said earlier in the thread, if The Corbs gets in before Brexit Labour's gonna have a poo poo time with that nightmare and it'll likely poison the terminally reactionary public against Labour again when we get Brexit'd up the rear end. If they collapse post Brexit however, it'll likely murder the Tories for years and give Labour a still lovely time, but probably won't land them the blame for said shittyness.

i'm pretty sure may is going to resign right before brexit hits so either boris or the absolute boy takes the fall

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

have the strength of your vote depend on how much longer on average you have to live

That will just make killing the NHS a bigger priority for the rich

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nonsense posted:

Putin's gonna steamroll to the Pyrenees before anybody can stop him. Britain will always be important regardless of delusions

I guess Americans will always want to go there on vacation to hear the accents and see if it looks like it does in TV shows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/932207243495460864

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/932184946881499136

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

SteelMentor posted:

Eh, the fixed term parliament act makes it a lot harder for governments to collapse now. It would take a pretty concerted effort by Tory rebels to do it and most of them don't want to risk Corbyn getting into power.

Of course, it's not like there haven't been a lot of political shocks lately so maybe some new crisis will topple them.

UrbicaMortis has issued a correction as of 11:08 on Nov 20, 2017

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
god i love bojo and i don't even know why