Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Signal posted:

We've got five people for a game on Monday, so I'll be sitting out and helping rules coach.

You can get an app on iOS called Gloom 5 to add a fifth player. Not sure if it's on android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Does it balance it for 5? Lots of 4 person encounters drain the monster pool

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Does it balance it for 5? Lots of 4 person encounters drain the monster pool

Not to mention tokens. loving oozes hoovering up literally all the damage tokens...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i spent hours today constructing the broken token insert, holy moly my hands hurt. tomorrow i'll actually get started on the game proper

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Isaac strongly recommended against playing with 5, but said if you still want to do it add 2 to the scenario level without increasing rewards. So not more monsters, just stronger ones.

Not sure what the app does, I guess provide a digital 5th modifier deck?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, that's kinda the reason I don't want to shoehorn myself in as a fifth player. I'd rather ensure that others are hooked as strongly as I am with a good experience.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Signal posted:

Yeah, that's kinda the reason I don't want to shoehorn myself in as a fifth player. I'd rather ensure that others are hooked as strongly as I am with a good experience.

if you hook all 4 of them you'll never get to play

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just make sure one person has a really lovely time

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Countblanc posted:

Just make sure one person has a really lovely time
Replace all of their +damage cards with -1 or misses. "Oh yeah that's how that guy's balanced, he just has a bad attack deck, blame the developer not me man"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ojetor posted:

Isaac strongly recommended against playing with 5, but said if you still want to do it add 2 to the scenario level without increasing rewards. So not more monsters, just stronger ones.

Not sure what the app does, I guess provide a digital 5th modifier deck?

If you use the monster deck app you can use the actual monster deck for a fifth player

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Short trip report:

Played scenario 1, 2 and 4 with some folks new to board games - 2 players who were not familiar with "tactical" games and one who's most complex game before this was Settlers of Catan. Our party was the scoundrel, tinkerer, mindthief and spellweaver. We played for about 5 hours and we had a blast.

The newbie played the spellweaver and quickly cottoned onto how to set up her moves to blast groups of enemies for massive damage and experience points. I think she out-leveled everyone by at least 50% - she's now a convert and said that the game is "really cool." The tinkerer ended up saving scenario 4 from failure with a spectacular last turn that burnt through 2 shielded enemies and let him loot a chest at the same time. The mindthief player took great relish in moving enemies into traps and making them attack each other, she's made it clear that her rat summon needs recognition for all the damage it soaked throughout the evening. I played the scoundrel and did the heavy lifting when attacking the boss, while looting as much as possible in rest turns.

Immediately after we called it a night, we started planning when to get together again.

TL:DR
Game is good, guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just finished punching everything, putting stuff in the appropriate broken token trays, and reboxing the thing. it's super nice, but i gotta say i'm pretty peeved that there's nowhere to put 4 of the 6 starting class boxes. i guess they assumed you'd [a] always be playing with 4 players and [b] have already decided what classes to play before even playing, but now i gotta find somewhere to store these until i can actually play (and possibly longer if i don't get 4 players).

otherwise very satisfied, and excited to get people together after this next week.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mindthiefs needs some movement. Any backtracking in a dungeon is murder. Sometimes I have to choose one path and let faster people deal with the other on their own.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so out of curiosity, how many of y'all in the US still don't have a KS shipping notification?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hauki posted:

so out of curiosity, how many of y'all in the US still don't have a KS shipping notification?

*raises hand*

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I haven't. in california, ordered 2 + 1 printed addon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I ordered the game plus the solo scenarios.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
The Solo scenarios booklet is actually in the game box so they are a distinct product compared to the standard game boxes. In EU, they seemed to be the last thing shipped out.

Trip report: Gloomhaven hit the table with my regular gaming group. We had 5 people so we used Gloomy Companion for the monster deck, with the monster deck going to the 5th player. 5 is not really recommended but it was better than not playing or leaving one person aside. I set the difficulty at 1 to ease the group in but in hindsight 2 would have been better as we swept the enemies in Scenario 1 pretty easily. The group actually liked the difficulty as is when I raised the question of making it tougher (and increasing the rewards). Everyone was having fun so I didn't mind that it wasn't as challenging (My solo party is going in for the challenge :getin:). All of the starting characters were doing cool things and making their players pretty excited. The Brute leaped over a wall of traps to lay into enemy archers and then tanked an attack round from the entire final room. The Scoundrel was darting around and slicing up enemies. The Mindthief player was recklessly throwing herself into combat and debuffing elite targets. The Cragheart player was smashing the scenery and throwing boulders. I played the Spellweaver and just zapped whatever was remaining while throwing out heals. Everyone got the initiative and card mechanics within a couple of rounds and the monster AI was easy to manage. They are all excited to play again so it seems Gloomhaven did well.

I've decided to try to keep my copy pristine as much as I can manage. I've used some of the printout campaign trackers to mark progress so far and I'm going to get a big printout of the map on some corkboard and use pins to attach new locations and mark prosperity/global achievements. I've not gone for one of the custom storage solutions but I am thinking about them now. I've taken the contents of the starter classes in and out of their boxes a few times now and I am worried that the boxes will be the first thing to degrade.

Suggestions: Use Gloomy Companion but look at the monster cards before to understand how it all works and why Companion makes your life so much easier. Rather than use the damage tokens, I used D10s to mark monster health to remove some table clutter.

I was one of the people who was initially skeptical about this being different from other dungeon crawlers but the hand management aspect and custom modifier deck is really very neat. I am very happy to have been proven wrong.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Kore_Fero posted:

Rather than use the damage tokens, I used D10s to mark monster health to remove some table clutter.

We did this too. I might pick up some knitting row counters if the d10s get unwieldy at higher levels.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

for the first time in 50+ scenarios, last night one of my groups almost wiped. Scenario 26, Ancient Cistern.

Mind Thief (7), Spellweaver (6), Cragheart (6), and Triple Arrow (me, 3)

Cragheart and Spellweaver exhaust tanking in the last room, Mindthief goes invisible to accomplish the scenario goal, and I tank the last of the damage, ending up with 0 health and all 09 of my hand cards in the loss pile and exhaust just as the MT finishes it while long resting.

And before we started there was much discussion about increasing the scenario level cause things were getting too easy.

EDIT: looking at BGG apparently that's one of the toughest scenarios in the game.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 20, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

screech on the beach posted:

On a side note 3M Super 77 spray fixes the split sheets like new. Its amazing and easy to do.

Thanks for the tip. A coin, 2 Innox Archers and a summoning token split on me. This fixed them up perfectly.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

for the first time in 50+ scenarios, last night one of my groups almost wiped. Scenario 26, Ancient Cistern.

Mind Thief (7), Spellweaver (6), Cragheart (6), and Triple Arrow (me, 3)

Cragheart and Spellweaver exhaust tanking in the last room, Mindthief goes invisible to accomplish the scenario goal, and I tank the last of the damage, ending up with 0 health and all 09 of my hand cards in the loss pile and exhaust just as the MT finishes it while long resting.

And before we started there was much discussion about increasing the scenario level cause things were getting too easy.

EDIT: looking at BGG apparently that's one of the toughest scenarios in the game.

We've been playing 1 difficulty level up pretty much all the time.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Trip report:

It seems to be acceptable

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Max Peck posted:

Trip report:

It seems to be acceptable

:allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
We attempted scenario 72 Oozing Grove today. I say attempted because it is one of the few scenarios to hand us a loss. Checked online and yep, everyone else agrees that it's one of the handful of difficulty spikes in the game. Had the Spellweaver, the Sun class, and the Eclipse class, and we just couldn't keep up with it.

But hey, I killed a bunch of elites so I'm super close to my second retirement and unlocking the two-box class now.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Question: are the scenarios played in order or are you directed as you go along?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

You start at one, but they don't all process in order. We've only played scenario 1, at the end of which we unlocked Scenario 2, as well as gaining access to another scenario (71 or something? random side one). We have now the choice to go to either of the ones that we've unlocked. The second scenario is also a connected one though, so to go to that one we don't have to draw a Road card.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Al Baron posted:

Question: are the scenarios played in order or are you directed as you go along?

After the first couple scenarios you'll typically have at least four or five options for where to go next going forward. It must narrow again at some point but we've been playing since February and haven't hit that point so :shrug:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Managed to play a few scenarios with four. Game's as good as expected, super bummed I have to wait until next week to play more. I set up the first scenario before everyone arrived but it still felt like I was scrambling to remember everything we needed to get started. I don't think we got any major rules wrong but I did make a bit of a mistake reading one of the scenario setups which made it a bit easier than it should have been.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Started a solo campaign with Cragheart, Scoundrel and Mindthief.

First scenario was hard, lost Scoundrel in the second room to a crit, Mindthief in the final room to archer focus, Cragheart made it out after 3 turns of dumb luck.
Second scenario was just impossible. Open the door and the boss kept spawning elite Bones I couldn't take down fast enough, let alone whenever he opened the doors and unleashed even more high HP enemies.
I changed the difficulty to normal instead of the extra hard single player rules for my retry and it went pretty well. Nobody died, had time to pick up some gold and I even got the treasure.

Being new to the game and not having any extra gear or perks make that single player difficulty increase hurt a lot in the early levels.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

BioTech posted:

Started a solo campaign with Cragheart, Scoundrel and Mindthief.

First scenario was hard, lost Scoundrel in the second room to a crit, Mindthief in the final room to archer focus, Cragheart made it out after 3 turns of dumb luck.
Second scenario was just impossible. Open the door and the boss kept spawning elite Bones I couldn't take down fast enough, let alone whenever he opened the doors and unleashed even more high HP enemies.
I changed the difficulty to normal instead of the extra hard single player rules for my retry and it went pretty well. Nobody died, had time to pick up some gold and I even got the treasure.

Being new to the game and not having any extra gear or perks make that single player difficulty increase hurt a lot in the early levels.

Make sure you're not missing this rule:

Whenever any damage is dealt to a character, the player has
two options:
  • Suffer the damage and move his or her hit point total on the tracking wheel down the appropriate
    number, or…
  • Choose one card to lose from his or her hand or two cards to lose from his or her discard pile to
    negate the damage (any additional effects of the attack are still applied). Note that before a character
    acts in a round, the two cards chosen at the beginning of the round are neither in the player’s hand or
    lost or discard pile, and so cannot be lost to negate damage.

Oh, and did you spend your 30 starting gold for each character?

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 20, 2017

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Afriscipio posted:

Make sure you're not missing this rule:

Whenever any damage is dealt to a character, the player has
two options:

Oh, and did you spend your 30 starting gold for each character?

Yeah, I did both. Part of why the crit instakilled is because I wasn't used to managing cards yet and sat there with an empty hand planning to do a long rest.
After finishing 2 scenarios and a nice city event I have enough money to buy another piece of gear for everyone and also got perks for 2/3 characters. With everyone still at L1 the scenarios are still at the same difficulty, but those perks, extra items and my improved understanding of the game mechanics definitely mean it got easier. The start is really (too?) rough if you play at the solo difficulty, but maybe I'll start trying again if the next few scenarios work out.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just started playing last night, nearly team wiped on the first round of the game until I reread some of the rules :downs:
Probably a dumb question but when a card has an extra effect that just says it 'deals damage', like the Cragheart has a bunch of these that deal 1 damage or 2 damage adjacent to himself, is that damage effected by Shield? How about stuff like Potions of Power, those shouldn't have any effect on that damage right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just started playing last night, nearly team wiped on the first round of the game until I reread some of the rules :downs:
Probably a dumb question but when a card has an extra effect that just says it 'deals damage', like the Cragheart has a bunch of these that deal 1 damage or 2 damage adjacent to himself, is that damage effected by Shield? How about stuff like Potions of Power, those shouldn't have any effect on that damage right?

Those only apply to damage from actual attacks. So yes, the Cragheart has a lot of ways to deal damage that is 100% guaranteed. Retaliate also only triggers on actual attacks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cool, at least we got those rules right then.

Next dumb question, is there some place that says specifically which monster ability deck is used for which monster? Like Bandit Guard obviously translates to the Guard deck, so does it just always follow a simple rule like that or what?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Cool, at least we got those rules right then.

Next dumb question, is there some place that says specifically which monster ability deck is used for which monster? Like Bandit Guard obviously translates to the Guard deck, so does it just always follow a simple rule like that or what?

Yes, with the exception of Bosses which always use the Boss deck regardless of which boss you are actually fighting.

Note that some decks are used by multiple monsters (like the aforementioned Guard deck) while most of the decks are specific to one type of enemy.

Also you should be using the Gloomhaven monster app, it really is a huge improvement over the physical decks: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So without reading too much of the thread, how viable is this game to change player counts throughout the game? A buddy of mine wants to join our campaign, but I am itching to get things rolling before next week. Can we do separate campaigns or is that a mess?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Don't do separate campaigns, that *will* be a mess. And it's entirely viable for people to drop in/drop out, scenario level scales.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you *do* want to do multiple simultaneous campaigns, use the online campaign tracker (https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios) and avoid having more than 5 characters total across both parties, or you are going to run into issues with the modifier decks. You will also have to deal with some amount of faff with regards to items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

So without reading too much of the thread, how viable is this game to change player counts throughout the game? A buddy of mine wants to join our campaign, but I am itching to get things rolling before next week. Can we do separate campaigns or is that a mess?

It will work great. Scenarios all level to number of players. And independently scale to your parties average level. If he misses 10 scenarios you might outlevel him, just houserule bump him up to your lowest level guy (you will probably have prosperity leveling him to it anyway). If he misses the first few scenarios just let him start it will all be fine.