Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Thanks for the help by the way guys this game owns and you guys have been super helpful with any questions I’ve had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Senjuro posted:

But it's not exactly a choice between the two. Leaving Olgierd to his fate requires no action or involvement on your part. You're not necessarily siding with Gunther, you're simply not siding with Olgierd.

it very much is a choice between siding with a lovely bandit and the Literal Devil, because one choice lets the Literal Devil keep going on in the world, while the other choice banishes the Literal Devil out of it for a time.

standing aside while Gaunter takes Olgierd's soul lets the Literal Devil keep making deals with bad people that end up ruining and destroying innocent peoples lives.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 20, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

I like the idea of decoctions a lot as well, what are the good relevant skills to pick up down the road in the green tree? And is there any way that I can have more than one “charge” per meditation of a decoction?

Decoction durations are so long I'm not sure why you'd need to more than one charge.

But, Acquired Tolerance is one you want for sure, that lets you run with 2-3 decoctions active at once.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Green tree skills? All of them.
The alchemy tree is my favourite tree as it’s really overpowered when you go deep into it. Each point you put in there extends all your potion duration times by 5%. In the Brewing tree I like Heightened Tolerance and Refreshment. All of the Oil prep tree are worth investing in. Bombs can be good, but got nerfed, invest in the skills that you think might help you or ignore that tree according to playstyle. The Mutation tree is the good stuff. It jacks up your decoctions to an amazing degree. Acquired Tolerance is a must as it enables you to take 3 decoctions at once and still have room for a couple of other potions on top. The other skills there make decoctions give you more vitality, last longer and increase the mutagen bonuses that you have. Also they give you glossy hair.
I was running around with decoctions that lasted about 2 hours of real time, so you don’t need another charge on them. Insane amounts of vitality and as a bonus Geralt looks like a horror show. Throw some skills into sword skills as well. Really though it’s hard to build a bad Geralt. Respec potions can be bought from a witch and shops in Novigrad.

Gourmet is a misc skill. It makes foods healing effect last for 20 minutes. It’s a good early skill, but later on it can be safely respecced when you no longer need it.
Ekimmara decoction recipe drop is random or you might see it for sale. Keep an eye out. It also needs a rare ingredient so if you kill an Ekimmara make sure to loot it and keep what it drops.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

new post is not edit

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 20, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

When should I start expecting to see ekimmaras around? Level/area wise that is.

If you're level 8, probably not for a while. They're vampire bat-monsters and most of them are associated with Witcher contracts so you're not going to run into them in the wild, really.

Don't worry too much about healing. Get Gourmet, alternate Quen mode, you're still very early in the game.

The difficulty is fairly tough early on, then gets pretty easy, then picks back up in the expansions where boss fights are noticeably tougher.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There are arachas in southern Velen, near the swamp, that can drop red mutagen. You could try that.

Or just chill out. You start to see them more frequently by Skellige, and there's only a few decoctions that use them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have only found enough red mutagens to craft two large reds and I've been playing for about 50 hours and I'm level 16ish. Don't stress about finding them it's not a major issue.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Are a lot of locked chests and treasure hunts going to give me poo poo gear? I know later when I'm leveled up and far into the story that random question marks will, but early on right now I'm level 5, death march difficulty... I did level 7 Niellen the Hunter quest and his locked chest in his house gave me like a level 4 pair of hunting trousers... you'd think it would be a little better, especially after that fight...

Plus even only as level 5, a lot of bandit question marks and persons in distress around Velen are giving me poo poo. This is normal?

Oh yeah also, can you find a key to get into any locked house, or are some houses always locked?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Are a lot of locked chests and treasure hunts going to give me poo poo gear? I know later when I'm leveled up and far into the story that random question marks will, but early on right now I'm level 5, death march difficulty... I did level 7 Niellen the Hunter quest and his locked chest in his house gave me like a level 4 pair of hunting trousers... you'd think it would be a little better, especially after that fight...

Plus even only as level 5, a lot of bandit question marks and persons in distress around Velen are giving me poo poo. This is normal?

Oh yeah also, can you find a key to get into any locked house, or are some houses always locked?

You are playing on Death March, yes everything is going to be difficult.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pretty much any gear except crafted Witcher gear and quest reward swords with unique names is poo poo.
And the solution to getting killed by bandits is to dodge more. Always dodge more.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Futuresight posted:

I looked up the rewards you can get at the end of HoS and Geralt is the worst wisher ever. Almost the entire expansion is about being careful what you wish for and Geralt turns to the embodiment of evil who just stole a man's soul through trickery (on the moon indeed) and is like "Never wanna go hungry again". Jesus Geralt, at least make it slightly difficult to gently caress you over, even a child could see that wish could be fulfilled just by straight up murdering you.

you should have remained totally branded if you accepted a reward for your services to O'Dimm at the end of HoS imho

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

deathbysnusnu posted:

Vlodimir states that they'd have a grand ole time dragging the wenches out and having their way with them after a raid. Pretty clear what he meant.

Eh, good call, forgot that line. I stand corrected.

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think he's irredeemable, he does seem genuinely to want to make things right and takes steps toward that.

I agree he doesn't deserve redemption, and his domestic abuse is unforgivable.

I'm a lot less convinced that Olgierd is remorseful for what he's done.

I think part of the confounder here is his heart of stone. Gamers are not used to picking up on subtlety because games always heavily pantomime and spell everything out, so when presented with a guy who says he's remorseful but doesn't particularly act it, gamers generally don't buy it. After the curse is lifted and he can actually feel again, his remorse and disgust at what his life has become really shows, though, especially if you give him one of the mementos of his wife.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's an actual "Treasure Hunt" listed in your quests then it will be for Witcher Gear.

But for everything else yes, this game is not super impressive for looting amazing items. Sometimes you'll get some items that will be better than what you have in between Witcher Gear levels or for your specific playstyle but not often. You mostly want to go through chests and stuff so that you can get recipes, ingredients, schematics, etc.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"This sword has been in my family for generations. You've done me a great service on this day, Geralt of Rivia. I give it to you freely to aid you in your quest."
"Sure whatever just toss it on the pile"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Do the main quest until you can equip the Griffin Set, that should make things easier.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Hobo Clown posted:

"This sword has been in my family for generations. You've done me a great service on this day, Geralt of Rivia. I give it to you freely to aid you in your quest."

Oh man, I legit felt bad when Crach an Craite gave me that sword that was in his family for generations. And then I look at it and it's worse than what I'm rocking. I reloaded that poo poo because I didn't want to just vendor that sword after that cutscene.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Futuresight posted:

Oh man, I legit felt bad when Crach an Craite gave me that sword that was in his family for generations. And then I look at it and it's worse than what I'm rocking. I reloaded that poo poo because I didn't want to just vendor that sword after that cutscene.

Thing is, CDPR indirectly hit on a solution for this: in B&W the sword you get for winning the tournament is levelled to whatever Geralt is when he receives it. If his XP level is high, it will have better stats than the witcher swords. Now, if only they would make it so that "legendary" swords like the Winter Blade or Iris actually levelled with Geralt so that their raw damage output was comparable to the witcher swords and in addition had special attributes different from them (Iris already does), then they would be worth keeping.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hobo Clown posted:

Well, assuming you hold on to it for however long IRL it takes you to get to B&W (months?) it can be displayed nicely in the villa.

Kopijeger posted:

Thing is, CDPR indirectly hit on a solution for this: in B&W the sword you get for winning the tournament is levelled to whatever Geralt is when he receives it. If his XP level is high, it will have better stats than the witcher swords. Now, if only they would make it so that "legendary" swords like the Winter Blade or Iris actually levelled with Geralt so that their raw damage output was comparable to the witcher swords and in addition had special attributes different from them (Iris already does), then they would be worth keeping.

Wish there more swords like Aerondight.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kopijeger posted:

I think Origins figured this out pretty well. Just give blacksmiths the ability to level up the stats for a price. Lord knows there's enough cash in this game.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

What about spending two hours doing quests for Hattori, seeing him craft "a sword to kill a god" only to get a butter knife that is barely vendor trash

Helith posted:

Green tree skills? All of them.
The alchemy tree is my favourite tree as it’s really overpowered when you go deep into it. Each point you put in there extends all your potion duration times by 5%. In the Brewing tree I like Heightened Tolerance and Refreshment. All of the Oil prep tree are worth investing in. Bombs can be good, but got nerfed, invest in the skills that you think might help you or ignore that tree according to playstyle. The Mutation tree is the good stuff. It jacks up your decoctions to an amazing degree. Acquired Tolerance is a must as it enables you to take 3 decoctions at once and still have room for a couple of other potions on top. The other skills there make decoctions give you more vitality, last longer and increase the mutagen bonuses that you have. Also they give you glossy hair.
I was running around with decoctions that lasted about 2 hours of real time, so you don’t need another charge on them. Insane amounts of vitality and as a bonus Geralt looks like a horror show. Throw some skills into sword skills as well. Really though it’s hard to build a bad Geralt. Respec potions can be bought from a witch and shops in Novigrad.

And it only gets more insane in Blood & Wine, with the damage based on toxicity thing.

My "favorite" broken setup is definitely Bear set + Alchemy. You can get literally 100% DR against monsters, as long as you keep your blade oil matching what you're fighting. I eventually did a 180 and switched to cat gear because after a while being incapable of dying no matter the difficulty can be a bit boring.

Halser fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 20, 2017

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Kopijeger posted:

Well that leveling sword is the best sword in the game, and it also levels with you, not just appear at your level and stay there.

I'd like a system like AC Origins where you can pay (a decent amount) to level up items you like. You sort of can with the common items because shops will have the same stuff a little higher level, but that's not a given and you have to schlep around looking.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Halser posted:

What about spending two hours doing quests for Hattori, seeing him craft "a sword to kill a god" only to get a butter knife that is barely vendor trash

Take it, spin around in a circle, and hand it back to him. "How much gold can I get for this?"

Supreme Allah posted:

Well that leveling sword is the best sword in the game, and it also levels with you, not just appear at your level and stay there.

I don't think he meant Aerondight, he meant the steel sword you get for winning the tournament. "Geralt of Rivia's Sword" or "Ravix of Fourhorn's Sword". It's still a beast when you get it but it doesn't level with you and will get outclassed eventually in NG+.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

I don't think he meant Aerondight, he meant the steel sword you get for winning the tournament. "Geralt of Rivia's Sword" or "Ravix of Fourhorn's Sword". It's still a beast when you get it but it doesn't level with you and will get outclassed eventually in NG+.

That one, yeah. Using a full xp mod Geralt was level 61 when I got the sword, so it was the same level and did greater raw damage than any of the Grandmaster witcher swords (I think those are level 48 in the regular game).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

I'd like a system like AC Origins where you can pay (a decent amount) to level up items you like. You sort of can with the common items because shops will have the same stuff a little higher level, but that's not a given and you have to schlep around looking.

Ghost Mode mod has exactly this function, you buy an item from master weapon/armorsmith and use it to upgrade an item to your current level. So if you like the looks or stat distribution of something, you can always scale it with you.

Ghost Mode has a lot of very good scaling stuff, highly recommended for a second playthrough.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I like that the Lady of the Lake went "here's another Aeondight, don't misplace it this time!"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Most locked doors in cities are never opened.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Nioh solved the sword levelling problem. Just upgrade their level to something current.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kopijeger posted:

Iris is already worth keeping.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wish more games would adopt the Diablo 3 method of gear so that I can play Pretty Pretty Princess with my character and still keep the stats from better equipment.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

RichterIX posted:

I wish more games would adopt the Diablo 3 method of gear so that I can play Pretty Pretty Princess with my character and still keep the stats from better equipment.

That's pretty much how I always treated the armor. The stat bonuses didn't seem to change gameplay enough for me to worry about, even on Death March, so I just went with whatever outfit looked coolest.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Futuresight posted:

Thankfully you can at least put on display in your villa, its what I did after hanging on to it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I didn't know you could do that at the time. Next time I'll do that for sure so Geralt has a memento.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RichterIX posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/780/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Do the main quest until you can equip the Griffin Set, that should make things easier.

This x100. Once I got the Griffin armor and the medium armor skill the game feels incredible. Spells hit like a truck and you don't look like a clown.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

You are playing on Death March, yes everything is going to be difficult.

That wasn't my question, I didn't mean the question marks such as bandits are giving me poo poo in that they are hard or difficult, I mean they are giving me poo poo gear.

Also yes roll out of the way is the answer to every fight.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

That wasn't my question, I didn't mean the question marks such as bandits are giving me poo poo in that they are hard or difficult, I mean they are giving me poo poo gear.

Also yes roll out of the way is the answer to every fight.

Dodge out of the way is a better option I think. Keeps you closer for an easy counter attack. Also most chests contain useless poo poo. Horde the crafting stuff and sell the weapons to blacksmiths and armors to armorers.

Only get excited about finding random recipes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I'm trying to finish off Blood and Wine before I dive in to Breath of the wild. What are some fun, overpowered builds I can use?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Take that mutagen that gives you extra damage from toxicity, and drink a lot of stuff before fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Take that mutagen that gives you extra damage from toxicity, and drink a lot of stuff before fighting.

This plus the rune that extends potion duration when you hit an enemy can let you maintain a nearly permanent slowdown effect and infinite stamina with the Blizzard potion.