Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What I get the most of out of w3 is “you will never make everyone happy, so pick the people you care about and do right by them”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Roobanguy posted:

Seriously. It's a choice between a lovely bandit and the literal devil. The moral choice is obvious. He stabbed a spoon through a guy's eye because he interrupted him!

a long spoon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuzz posted:

Yeah no kidding. I'm having flashbacks of #theempiredidnothingwrong and all those white heritage assholes who were upset that people are killing Nazis in the new Wolfenstein. :psyduck:

comparing people who fall on the different side of a complex choice to people who are upset about killing nazis is pretty dumb

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SirSamVimes posted:

comparing people who fall on the different side of a complex choice to people who are upset about killing nazis is pretty dumb

That was the point.

Let's not forget the real travesty of the game - the fact that you can't both be a good dad and kill the Weavess. :mad:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

If you're doing NG+ I recommend Ghost Mode mod. It's an "overhaul" but really only tweaks gameplay. More importantly, it allows you to fine-tune combat difficulty and leveling/experience. Do you want to have everything scale to your current level so you can go to Skellige or Toussaint right out of White Orchard? Cool! That's fine. It doesn't much change the base gameplay, it's about 90% the same with balance tweaks and a lot of customizability.

I, uh, don't recommend W3: Enhanced Edition mod, though. It's a true overhaul mod which completely changes stats and gameplay. It's worth checking out for like a third playthrough but you'll have to re-learn everything and it's a super hardcore makeover so it's very difficult and very different than the base game.

Ghost Mode mod is great for more challenge and customization while preserving the same general gameplay flow.

ty

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you guys are being way to easy on Olgierd . He willingly sold his soul to the devil, he was not coerced in any way shape or form. He spent how long creating summoning circles and trying to summon otherworldly power. He's not an innocent who got tricked into this, he was seeking out the devil. Secondly just because he lacks a conscience doesn't mean he has to be an immoral person. There are many Sociopathic people in this world who lead completely normal lives. You say that he regrets what he's done and can change, but despite his words in no way do his actions show this. Before his contract he took pleasure in raping, stealing, and murdering. And then when you first meet him he's leading a gang of people who...rape, murder, and steal. You don't need a conscience to tell you that that isn't the kind of company you should keep if you're looking to atone for your sins. Indeed his first action in the game is to set you up to kill an innocent man that he has transformed, and who he likely knew had men coming to return him to his original form. His first action is to send you off to die, not the actions of someone who deserves forgiveness.

I had like three paragraphs here comparing Ole and Goethe's Faust here but typing it just made me want to reread it and it honestly doesn't change my actual conclusions it just solidify's my reasoning so it got cut.

The second point that I'll disagree with you guys on is that you're making the mistake of putting Geralt into the shoes of the Arbitrator of what's right and wrong. Geralt isn't damning Ole by not interceding, Ole already sold his soul for his wishes and those wishes were granted it follows that Gaunter would get his soul. A simple transaction. By interceding to save him you're saying that Geralt has the authority to determine who lives and who dies. From where does he derive this authority? He's not a judge, a king, or a representative of god. When Faust dies an entire heavenly host descends to carry his immortal parts to heaven. Clearly the same doesn't happen for Ole. The only thing stopping Gaunter from taking his soul is Geralt, and the only reason Geralt can stop him is that he's incredibly powerful. By saving Ole you're implicitly tying authority to power. And if you can claim that because Geralt is powerful he has a right to determine the fates of those around him, and be morally right in doing so then it follows that people more powerful then him also have that right. Was Henselt right to rape Ves and murder the blue stripes, was The emperor right to invade the north and cause untold suffering over and over merely to increase the size of his demesne, And was Radovid right to begin his pogroms against magic users and non humans? If the only way we can determine moral authority is by the level of power that the person making the judgements has then all of these horrible things that these people have done was in fact justifiable. Geralt is not making a statement by letting Gaunter take Ole's soul he's merely letting events lead to their natural conclusion. By interceding he's putting himself in a position of authority over life and death entirely based on his Martial abilities, and in fact implicitly endorsing a might makes right mentality, that's logical conclusion results in arbitrary judgment and widespread misery for the weakest and poorest of the world.

In conclusion not only is Ole not worth saving, Geralt has no authority to do so.

Geralt has his own personal code of ethics and conduct outside of those proscribed by religion and law.

Geralt IS the ubermensch.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Geralt has his own personal code of ethics and conduct outside of those proscribed by religion and law.

Geralt IS the ubermensch.

basically you can roleplay Geralt as compassionate and noble or ruthless af

medieval Batman <-----------------------> medieval Punisher

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

Seriously. It's a choice between a lovely bandit and the literal devil. The moral choice is obvious. He stabbed a spoon through a guy's eye because he interrupted him!

But it's not exactly a choice between the two. Leaving Olgierd to his fate requires no action or involvement on your part. You're not necessarily siding with Gunther, you're simply not siding with Olgierd.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fuzz posted:

That was the point.

Let's not forget the real travesty of the game - the fact that you can't both be a good dad and kill the Weavess. :mad:

A good dad lets his daughter be independent. Geralt just lets Ciri shank her to death offscreen.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Senjuro posted:

But it's not exactly a choice between the two. Leaving Olgierd to his fate requires no action or involvement on your part. You're not necessarily siding with Gunther, you're simply not siding with Olgierd.

“I didn’t condemn his soul to being consumed by the Devil, I was just given the choice to save him or walk away and let his soul be consumed by the devil and I took the latter”

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, doing nothing makes you complicit. Didn't you see the Seinfeld finale?!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Mandrel posted:

“I didn’t condemn his soul to being consumed by the Devil, I was just given the choice to save him or walk away and let his soul be consumed by the devil and I took the latter”

That doesn't mean I support the devil, only that I don't care about Olgierd.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 19, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mandrel posted:

That only works in the context of the player who knows he will inevitably win against the Devil. In the context of the character, Geralt stands the very real possibility of also losing his soul and not managing to free Olgierd anyway. Should it really be expected of him to do that?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Let's not forget he was totally cool with seeing his flesh and blood get murdered because it was the price to pay for immortality.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm and old man who cant figure out how to embed a tweet

e - oh it's automated.

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/932224394541314055

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish I could play this whole series fresh again, going into things completely blind.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm and old man who cant figure out how to embed a tweet

e - oh it's automated.

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/932224394541314055

Can't have microtransactions for a game that never comes out!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GrossMurpel posted:

Can't have microtransactions for a game that never comes out!

Clearly you've never heard of Star Citizen! Except you replace "microtransactions" with macrotransactions as you spend thousands of dollars on imaginary spaceships.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Let's not forget he was totally cool with seeing his flesh and blood get murdered because it was the price to pay for immortality.

He didn't want immortality, for one thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Clearly you've never heard of Star Citizen! Except you replace "microtransactions" with macrotransactions as you spend thousands of dollars on imaginary spaceships.

Or make a few hundred bucks! :woop:

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Fuzz posted:

Radovid?

There are several irredeemable pieces of poo poo, but the consistent thread in their irredeemability is that they don't think they're a total piece of poo poo and/or they blame it on others instead of taking responsibility for their actions. Olgierd knows full well he's terrible and takes full responsibility for all of it, he just doesn't care because he's unable to.

He's literally a guy with a brain tumor.

Whoreson Jr. Not killing him is morally repugnant.

Also, Olgierd was a murderer and rapist before his heart was stone. He's just a fleshed out version of random dude #3891 that you bisect without batting an eyelash.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

Whoreson Jr. Not killing him is morally repugnant.

Also, Olgierd was a murderer and rapist before his heart was stone. He's just a fleshed out version of random dude #3891 that you bisect without batting an eyelash.

They make it pretty clear that he resorted to banditry to try and buy back his estate after everything went in the toilet, but just saying "oh he's a rapist" is a bit of a stretch.

Not saying he's blameless, he was a bad dude that did bad things, even before he made his wish, the point is he wants to try to be better and regrets it all heavily.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Fuzz posted:

They make it pretty clear that he resorted to banditry to try and buy back his estate after everything went in the toilet, but just saying "oh he's a rapist" is a bit of a stretch.

Not saying he's blameless, he was a bad dude that did bad things, even before he made his wish, the point is he wants to try to be better and regrets it all heavily.

Vlodimir states that they'd have a grand ole time dragging the wenches out and having their way with them after a raid. Pretty clear what he meant.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

They made it clear he and his brother acted as bandits because that was their entertainment, as nobles beyond reproach.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

The characterization of Olgeird really matters as to whose doing it. If Geralt had run into him in his earlier days it would have ended as a slightly less gruesome take on the school of the cat encounter. Being a landed noble whose past time is going into dirt poor velen and stealing all of their poo poo, raping their women, and killing people who fight back is the kind of thing Geralt would knight and shining armor to a bloody end. Then again, the Baron is guilty of similar crimes. It's good writing and I tend to pick the merciful choices (less so in Trump's America my play throughs now end in murder when I could Axi the would be rapist/murderer/turbo racist) but not a reflection on what is actually good and just in a society where there are no courts or reprisals for those in power.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Bloody Baron is also an irredeemable piece of poo poo. hth.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Somewhere there's a Polish writer who spent years of his life developing nuanced and three dimensional characters curled up into a ball and crying himself to sleep.

The Baron is an alcoholic. He's a good guy who turns into an irredeemable piece of poo poo when he drinks, and when pressed he'll admit it. He still drinks because he's an alcoholic. It doesn't excuse his actions but there's a path to redemption for him and he ends up trying to take it.

Olgeird is much much worse than the Baron. But he too is seeking a path to redemption, in his own way.

ps Geralt isn't in the best position to judge others for having made deals with the literal devil

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where/how can I farm up some red mutagens?

I’m also finding it kind of annoying that meditation doesn’t heal on higher difficulties because i just have to accomplish the same thing by mashing food items in my inventory. What are some good ways to deal with this without just carrying around a sack of loving food?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Alchenar posted:

Somewhere there's a Polish writer who spent years of his life developing nuanced and three dimensional characters curled up into a ball and crying himself to sleep.

The Baron is an alcoholic. He's a good guy who turns into an irredeemable piece of poo poo when he drinks, and when pressed he'll admit it. He still drinks because he's an alcoholic. It doesn't excuse his actions but there's a path to redemption for him and he ends up trying to take it.

Olgeird is much much worse than the Baron. But he too is seeking a path to redemption, in his own way.

ps Geralt isn't in the best position to judge others for having made deals with the literal devil

Actually nah. The thing about nuanced writing is that you can write a very three dimensional piece of poo poo who doesn't deserve redemption despite being sympathetic. He's still a great character.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 19, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually nah. The thing about nuanced writing is that you can write a very three dimensional piece of poo poo who doesn't deserve redemption despite being sympathetic. He's still a great character.

I don't think he's irredeemable, he does seem genuinely to want to make things right and takes steps toward that.

I agree he doesn't deserve redemption, and his domestic abuse is unforgivable.

I'm a lot less convinced that Olgierd is remorseful for what he's done.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bob NewSCART posted:

I’m also finding it kind of annoying that meditation doesn’t heal on higher difficulties because i just have to accomplish the same thing by mashing food items in my inventory. What are some good ways to deal with this without just carrying around a sack of loving food?

Early on it's pretty much just food. What helps immensely is that Gourmet skill that lets food continue to heal for 20 minutes so you only need to consume one thing post-battle. Later on when/if you get better potions, decoctions, and alchemy skills, you can re-spec Geralt and use that Gourmet skill point on something else.

In my playhrough I also got Secondary Quen as early as possible and used enemy attacks to heal.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 20, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what lobok said, but keeping your eyes peeled for the ingredients to make the ekhidna, ekimmara, and troll decoctions will aid you as well

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's annoying early game, but just meditate and drink some swallow. Alcohol is frigging everywhere.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was annoyed about not healing when resting on higher difficulties until I realized I have ten thousand alcohols in my investors and now I use swallow and ignore food. It's not ever an issue. It only seems like one early in the game.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Early on, food. Once you have so much alcohol you don't have to worry about it, potions like White Raffard's Decoction are helpful. When I need to heal I just swig two of those then meditate and you're sorted without any waiting about.

I just finished my first Deathmarch playthrough and tbh I've been surprised at how easy it is once you get into the habit of taking things a little more slowly. I'm using a mostly signs build and between aard/igni I can just obliterate most anything that crosses my path. Even that notoriously hard frog boss in Hearts of Stone (which I really struggled with the first time round on the lower difficulty) I managed first time by just spamming quen/igni. Still have the last bits of Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine to get through so maybe something will catch me out. Not looking forward to the caretaker, which took me about a million attempts previously.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Red mutagens drop reliably from Drowners that are level 18+. I’ve no idea how far into the game you are, but red mutagens are pretty rare in the early game and their drop rate is noticeably less than the others. Once you get far enough into the game you can farm them from drowners. The Whales graveyard area in Skellige is a good spot.
As for healing, there are a few ways. Again once you get far enough in there is a skill in the alchemy tree that makes any potion heal you not just swallow. Also decoctions that generate healing when you use stamina etc. As said though the best bet early game is to have gourmet active and use swallow. You’ll be swimming in alcohol as long as loot it, so just meditate and refill your potions frequently.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I looked up the rewards you can get at the end of HoS and Geralt is the worst wisher ever. Almost the entire expansion is about being careful what you wish for and Geralt turns to the embodiment of evil who just stole a man's soul through trickery (on the moon indeed) and is like "Never wanna go hungry again". Jesus Geralt, at least make it slightly difficult to gently caress you over, even a child could see that wish could be fulfilled just by straight up murdering you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

what lobok said, but keeping your eyes peeled for the ingredients to make the ekhidna, ekimmara, and troll decoctions will aid you as well

Yeah, you should always at least get Acquired Tolerance no matter what your build is so you can stack decoctions. Took me way too long to realize this when I played.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Helith posted:

Red mutagens drop reliably from Drowners that are level 18+. I’ve no idea how far into the game you are, but red mutagens are pretty rare in the early game and their drop rate is noticeably less than the others. Once you get far enough into the game you can farm them from drowners. The Whales graveyard area in Skellige is a good spot.
As for healing, there are a few ways. Again once you get far enough in there is a skill in the alchemy tree that makes any potion heal you not just swallow. Also decoctions that generate healing when you use stamina etc. As said though the best bet early game is to have gourmet active and use swallow. You’ll be swimming in alcohol as long as loot it, so just meditate and refill your potions frequently.

I’ve not ever noticed an issue with alcohol so that’s something at least.

Is gourmet one of the miscellaneous skills?
And I’m about level 8..? I believe. I don’t really care about cheesing a respawning mob or whatever either to try and get some red mutagens, sometimes I like the relaxation of something simple like that.

With a less spoiler-y answer if possible; when and where am I gonna find the respec potion and the ekhimmara decoction? (I’ve heard this gives lifesteal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I like the idea of decoctions a lot as well, what are the good relevant skills to pick up down the road in the green tree? And is there any way that I can have more than one “charge” per meditation of a decoction?