Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Way too little, way too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Here's How Capcom Can Still Win

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it'd be funny as gently caress if the soul calibur 6 rumor was actually real and completely poo poo on Capcom's Arcade Edition debut at PSX

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dias posted:

I think my friend that got me into Melty Blood actually played that game at a decent level too, but I never really got to try it. I kinda wanna just to see if it's really all that bad.

Are there any fighting games that you think are legitimately good?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
What’s that, Capcom? Vega is still a ruinous shell of his former self? He still doesn’t even have a single loving charge move? No i’m not willing to let this go.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

brainSnakes posted:

What’s that, Capcom? Vega is still a ruinous shell of his former self? He still doesn’t even have a single loving charge move? No i’m not willing to let this go.

loving hell, don't even remind me how they totally buttfucked one of my favorite FG characters into just another mediocre SFV character that plays just like every other mediocre SFV character.

At this point the only thing that would make me possibly consider reinstalling SFV is getting Cosmic Heel and Scarlet Terror back. At least.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
hey he has a down charge that only works in ex and on a stage that cost 5 dollars :downs:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zooted heh posted:

hey he has a down charge that only works in ex and on a stage that cost 5 dollars :downs:

Such value

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jack Trades posted:

loving hell, don't even remind me how they totally buttfucked one of my favorite FG characters into just another mediocre SFV character that plays just like every other mediocre SFV character.

At this point the only thing that would make me possibly consider reinstalling SFV is getting Cosmic Heel and Scarlet Terror back. At least.
wouldnt it be nice if the good things you liked about your character were given the sfv treatment

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any fighting games that you think are legitimately good?

...I mean, I like Melty Blood. A2 is good but I never put a lot of time on it, same for T7, I actually enjoyed SF4 although I think it has a ton of issues. :shrug:

edit: from a technical standpoint Xrd and 98/02 are Good Games and I can see that, they're just not my speed. MKX also gets a weird rap but it's a quality fighter, pity about the horrendous PC port.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if every sf5 character was like zeku it would be a great game

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
every character in sf5 is constrained by the limits of the sf5 system

free them

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are still people holding out hope that Capcom is somehow involved with Fighting EX Layer and I don't understand why they'd want that to be true.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are still people holding out hope that Capcom is somehow involved with Fighting EX Layer and I don't understand why they'd want that to be true.

the capcom brand name means quality. if you think otherwise you are destroying fighting games

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If it was faster and Capcom wasn't so terrified of giving characters, y'know, decent buttons and options, maybe it could be at least fun. Instead you just makes guesses everywhere.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

If it was faster and Capcom wasn't so terrified of giving characters, y'know, decent buttons and options, maybe it could be at least fun. Instead you just makes guesses everywhere.

messy guessies all over the drat place

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

my favorite guess to make was whether the game was going to eat my inputs or not

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

C. Everett Koop posted:

messy guessies all over the drat place

dont forget whiffy missies

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i wish capcom would sell the rights to darkstalkers to arcsys :qq:

i really dont want to see what modern capcom would do with that series

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Are there options for hitboxes out there or is it pretty much just this one?

I have some wrist and finger joint issues that make things like instant airdashes really hard on stick and played a ton of emulated fighting games on keyboard in my youth so it seems like it might be a good fit.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 20, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

darealkooky posted:

if every sf5 character was like zeku it would be a great game

Whats good about zeku?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are there options for hitboxes out there or is it pretty much just this one?

I have some wrist and finger joint issues that make things like instant airdashes really hard on stick and played a ton of emulated fighting games on keyboard in my youth so it seems like it might be a good fit.

That's the only pre-built one afaik. You could always build one if you like DIY projects.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dont forget whiffy missies

You can leave your johns at the door, though. You're welcome to join us for friendlies, you'll probably get JV'd but no one will think you're a jim for it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Poniard posted:

That's the only pre-built one afaik. You could always build one if you like DIY projects.

In that case, someone please recommend an appropriate cereal box for conversion

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Reiley posted:

You can leave your johns at the door, though. You're welcome to join us for friendlies, you'll probably get JV'd but no one will think you're a jim for it.

reiley, you're one of the good ones

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In that case, someone please recommend an appropriate cereal box for conversion

Tek-Innovations sells acrylic cases which have a hitbox layout option as well as other customization options.

Jasen's customs sells complete kits or just the case. They're very expensive but will last forever.

AllFightSticks sells mix and match case parts, but in different sizes. There are even tiny ones!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tek innovations and jansens are both top notch

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats good about zeku?

old zeku having a big meaty spacing tool and surprisingly safe/+ on block moves for this game makes him feel more like older street fighter games, while young zeku works really well in sf5's rushdown/mixup style. you basically get the best of both worlds and he's one of the few characters who's v-skill and trigger both feel like they actually add to his game instead of just being purely a combo/gently caress fireballs option

he also has a remix theme song that isn't noticeably worse than the song they're remixing, he doesn't suffer from hosed up SF5 face syndrome because he's an old man or wearing a mask, and all of his outfits are things I can see people wanting to spend money on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I couldnt figure out wtf he did in the two minutes i played so i went back to tekken

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

punk rebel ecks posted:

3D models can age well too. Soul Calibur 2 still looks great, and I have a soft spot for TvC.

Tekken 4 still looks remarkably good, some great art direction in that game

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

Yeah, I'm not a board game guy but you can get a nice Poker Set with hundreds of Monte Carlo chips for less than that.

I can see if he's using good material, but I still don't get what makes the metagame of bluffing superior or supposedly "less random" than regular Poker.
With the ability cards it just seems more dependent on luck and randomness.

I haven't looked into the game itself but I heard Sirlin talk about it on his podcast a long time ago and it sounds like the biggest thing he wanted to change about Hold'em was that it was correct to fold a majority of hands, while you actually play out the hands in Pandante. That seems like a much stronger selling point to me than saying it has more bluffing or is less random than Hold'em.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

brainSnakes posted:

I’m a Street Fighter to Tekken convert, and am in love with how ludicrously difficult the Tekken footsies game is to master. Only 1.75 years to go until I figure out how to play this game properly, according to my sources!

Whiff punishing with launchers in Tekken is like briefly seeing the face of God, it's that satisfying.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does Soul Calibur still have pull? I feel they've flubbed every game in some manner for the last, like, decade.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Soul Calibur still have pull? I feel they've flubbed every game in some manner for the last, like, decade.

the latest one sold well despite being rushed and kind of mediocre

it does decently well with casual players because of the create-a-character thing

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is there a stick layout modeled after keyboard

I don't mean ASD+space like the hitbox, I mean arrow keys+ZXC

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

tek innovations and jansens are both top notch

I can vouch for allfightsticks. I have 2 cases from them and they’re great. He’ll also do custom poo poo if you message him over fb.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dragon enthusiast posted:

http://i.imgur.com/lOCClSb.jpg

Parachute
May 18, 2003
just play with it upside down like hendrix did with his hori stick

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Tekken 4 still looks remarkably good, some great art direction in that game

:agreed:

For as janky of a game it was I still love the character art and models from T4. From Paul's grunge rock hair to Heihachi's diaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

I doubt you can find one pre-made but it's not that difficult to make your own layout. You'll just have to make a new face plate.