Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Smirr posted:

Feel free to join me next time for the other post that I'm keeping for a rainy day, where I talk about how songs that start with single snare hits loving rule!!! See ya

I’m a 1-2-3-4 hi-hat man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm a very big fan of when songs start off with a skank beat followed by some bass lines before everything starts going off the rails.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrW6PGuh5Og

I'm going to follow up with a real safe opinion and say that Phobophile is basically a perfect song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSPRpwZPbs

You have the ominous piano intro followed by the rising whine as the bass line leads you into the main riff. And then that first slower riff after the first verse is just so evil sounding.

Flo Mounier is a loving machine, and Lord Worm's vocals are so good, so varied, from the basic unintelligible growl to inhuman screeching and evil toilet noises.

Also apparently Cryptopsy is good again. The self-titled album ditched the clean vocals and synths and it's really a return to form. I'm not crazy about the guitar tone, but it's Cryptopsy being Cryptopsy instead of trying to overcomplicate metalcore. It's got that "barely restrained chaos" feel of early Cryptopsy with a bit of the polish of the Mike DiSalvo era. Matt's vocal style is much closer to Mike DiSalvo than Lord Worm. The return of Jon Levasseur can't hurt either.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 20, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

None So Vile warped my young brain, primarily because of Phobophile. I didn’t know what the gently caress to do with my discovery of Cryptopsy. At the time I was a moody metalhead guitar nerd teen trying to explore all the spookiest heaviest death metal and I swear it took me years to process how heavy that era of Cryptopsy was. The feel of NSV is tight but everything sounds organic, violent, disgusting. It’s such a loving unique sound.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Slit Your Guts has the greatest breakdown of all time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hell yeah

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Seriously I've got the self-titled playing on Spotify right now and I'm loving it. Matt McGachy definitely has a hard-edged crispness to his vocals that are sort of similar to hardcore screaming, but there's a lot of variation to it and it's very well suited to tech death. It's not a screamo vocalist trying to do death metal, this guy's voice fits the music.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

But maybe I'm weird, I loved the Mike DiSalvo albums too. In fact as far as I am concerned the only bad Cryptopsy album was The Unspoken King.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

As long as we're on perfect albums and cool intros and extremely good riffs I just gotta remind everyone about Pandemonium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4_nisvQMw

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

If we're talking perfect ways to open an album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gO2G21Ucqk

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dimebags Brain posted:

If we're talking perfect ways to open an album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gO2G21Ucqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

But maybe I'm weird, I loved the Mike DiSalvo albums too. In fact as far as I am concerned the only bad Cryptopsy album was The Unspoken King.

Whisper Supremacy is pretty good and ...And Then You'll Beg isn't actively bad, just really forgettable. They're just regular tech death albums with a shouty vocalist that seems out of place (so kind of like Martyr but not as good). Nobody can beat Lord Worm for sheer extremity so I'm kind of glad they didn't try to match NSV musically with a different vocalist.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I recently rediscovered Of the Sun + Moon by Sacred Blade and I highly, highly recommend it. Really great prog/speed metal.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone know any albums like Witherscape's The Northern Sanctuary? I really dig the kinda proggy vibes and want something similar.

For those not aware here's the best track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcj2w4R0cz4

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Does anyone know any albums like Witherscape's The Northern Sanctuary? I really dig the kinda proggy vibes and want something similar.

For those not aware here's the best track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcj2w4R0cz4

New idea for a band. What if Seether, But Too Much?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dont even fink about it posted:

New idea for a band. What if Seether, But Too Much?

Entrails' sound is basically What If Dismember, But Louder

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

tote up a bags posted:

It's not proggy but this song could slot neatly into Soilwork's The Ride Majestic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Smirr posted:

Feel free to join me next time for the other post that I'm keeping for a rainy day, where I talk about how songs that start with single snare hits loving rule!!! See ya

I got you brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIqdno3r2o

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Are there any metal bands that do the same thing The Ink Spots did, start every single song with the exact same chords?

EDIT: On a tangentially related note, anyone know of any good metal covers of some golden oldies, in the vein of Blind Guardian's Mr. Sandman and Dream a Little Dream of Me?

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 20, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

God yes.

None So Vile may be the most bass-important death metal album, between Slit Your Guts and Phobophile

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah there's a reason that when I did a little post on bass in metal a while back I just linked the whole of None So Vile.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Best DM bass album is either Piece of Time or Unquestionable Presence.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Seeing Cryptopsy perform all of None So Vile live @ MDF was one of the best performances I've seen.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Best DM bass album is either Piece of Time or Unquestionable Presence.

Individual Thought Patterns deserves at least a mention

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah phobophile is a near-perfect dm song and definitely the best song cryptopsy ever wrote.

also that little slap bass part before the breakdown in "slit your guts" is almost too good.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Early Athiest is great, I'm ashamed I forgot them when I was thinking about my favourite metal bass.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seeing Lord Worm fronted Crytopsy, is the only cool show, I can claim to have been at.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I saw Bolt Thrower and got the last "shirt to wear to concerts" I'll ever need.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Several years ago I asked for metal recommendations from an old internet friend who sent me a lengthy list. I remember three tracks specifically: Phobophile, Night's Blood by Dissection, and Girl in the Slayer Jacket by Pig Destroyer

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Seeing Cryptopsy perform all of None So Vile live @ MDF was one of the best performances I've seen.

yeah that was very cool. I understand the Lord Worm love, but the guy they have now also owns a whole lot.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

AOTY time I guess, bit early

1. Immolation - Atonement
2. Pallbearer - Heartless
3. Akercocke - Renaissance in Extremis
4. Evil Invaders - Feed me Violence
5. Archspire - Relentless Mutation
6. Dool - Here and There Then
7. Dr. Living Dead! - Cosmic Conqueror
8. Gruesome - Fragments of Psyche
9. Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstacy
*. Emptiness - Not for Music

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
is Evil Invaders a Razor tribute band?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Klaaz posted:

4. Evil Invaders - Feed me Violence

I've heard of EI before but never gave them a listen. I'm checking out this album right now, and gently caress that's some drat good speed metal.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Klaaz posted:

I didn't know Tech N9ne had a metal project. I can't really get into the music enough to stick with it, but I'd love to hear those vocals over something groovier.

Edit: I'm going to have to sit down and listen to that Emptiness album though, the couple of tracks I checked out sound really interesting. I can't quite decide if I like Dool, they're kind of generic (and obviously not suited for this thread) but they have a nice atmosphere. Reminds me of the kind of thing I used to listen to before I got more into metal.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 20, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

symbolic posted:

I've heard of EI before but never gave them a listen. I'm checking out this album right now, and gently caress that's some drat good speed metal.

Pulses of Pleasure had the song Fast, Loud and Rude, which was pretty sick, but the rest of the album was underwhelming, Really glad that Feed Me Violence stepped up their game.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not too sure of the exact details but apparently the dude who runs Barbarian Wrath is in a coma and the outlook's not good. It's a shame because he releases good stuff and is obviously dedicated to what he does.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This Archspire album is pretty sick. I haven’t been listening to tech death lately but it’s doing the job.

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
Air Raid - Across the Line
Rebel Wizard - Triumph of Gloom
Ascended Dead - Abhorrent Manifestation
Whoredom Rife - Dommedagskvad
Tomb Mold - Primordial Malignity
Suffering Hour - In Passing Ascencion
Nordkarpatenland - Malokarpatan
Blind Guardian - Live Beyond the Spheres
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia

some albums I thought were pretty good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Klaaz posted:

This is really good for wanky tech death.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Oh hey, another Krallice album.
https://krallice.bandcamp.com/album/go-be-forgotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

saviro posted:

Rebel Wizard - Triumph of Gloom
Tomb Mold - Primordial Malignity

I hadn't heard these two and they're both great.