Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm thinking my league starter for 3.1 will be a slayer or a spectre necromancer now that you no longer have the hassle of summoning and resummoning your good ones.

Anything besides slayer that stands out as a run uber lab every day character? I do like running it for the rewards, especially early league when it showers you in currency and potentially rare and valuable things, tons of quality gems doesn't hurt either.

I imagine I'd eventually want a character to take advantage of a 6 socket glove or hat I'd find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My league starter for 3.1 is going to be either an SR Trickster, ED Trickster, or BV Occultist. Basically whatever I don't pick for Mayhem is off the table. Probably.

After that, I want to do:

Something with Sunder that isn't a Gladiator
A flickerstrike character that may or may not be an Oroflicker Slayer
An Animate Weapon build
Explosive Arrow

It really depends on what uniques get introduced beyond that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I ran like 35 uberlabs in a couple of days on my ED/Blight trickster in harb hc. It was incredibly smooth.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Count Uvula posted:

Yo man how the gently caress do you have 10k es and "a lot of armor and evasion"

I'd link my dude but I bricked my shavs. I was a guardian with a vaaled +1 gems prism guardian that ran 10 auras. 5L scorching ray and 4L righteous fire in essence crafted gloves (with EE and vulnerability) were plenty of damage, though phoenix was always a pain in the rear end since I didn't use RotP. Level 24 grace and haste aura made QotF nerds really silly to group with.

Biggest pain in the rear end of the build was getting a good lab enchant hat with ES and the essence mod aura reservation, and really good +3 gems unset rings.

I might run a similar build if they buff ES at all, but I'd ditch haste aura so I wouldn't need as much reduced reservation.

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 19, 2017

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrksFvVWOM0

0:00 - 0:27 Volatile Dead
0:28 - 0:55 Bodyswap
0:56 - 1:21 Unearth and Cremation
1:22 - 1:50 Storm Barrier
1:51 - end Spell Cascade

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jinnigan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrksFvVWOM0

0:00 - 0:27 Volatile Dead
0:28 - 0:55 Bodyswap
0:56 - 1:21 Unearth and Cremation
1:22 - 1:50 Storm Barrier
1:51 - end Spell Cascade

Cremation looks really cool

Also god drat I love that song, this game secretly has a fuckin' great OST

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Spell Cascade looks loving AMAZING for pack coverage.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Bodyswap is a spell, right? I wonder if it's compatible with cascade, that could be really silly.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Spell Cascade looks loving AMAZING for pack coverage.
Heck it can be good for single target maybe depending on AOE radius still being big enough. Looked like that storm call overlapped x3 = 50% more on the center? Maybe? Could be the giant MTX flash obscuring things.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 19, 2017

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anything besides slayer that stands out as a run uber lab every day character?

Juggernaut is extremely good for it.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

lurksion posted:

Heck it can be good for single target maybe depending on AOE radius still being big enough. Looked like that storm call overlapped x3 = 50% more on the center? Maybe? Could be the giant MTX flash obscuring things.

Cascade is going to need some testing for sure, but assuming it scales like most support gems then the penalty should reduce from 50% to 30% at level 21, so triple overlap spells will do 210% damage which seems really good for a support gem. Storm call looked like it was overlapping because the placement is based upon the area size of the initial ground effect, not the actual explosion.

Other spells that look interesting to try it with are Glacial Cascade/Bladefall, with enough room to cast in front of a target you could in theory triple the number of hits from each spell. Flameblast also sticks out as having potential, since the placement should be based upon the initial small base AE, and then as you channel the area would grow and overlap. Assuming overlapping flameblast's each did their own damage this could be really strong. The new volatile corpse spell also may have potential, exploding 9 corpses at once and creating 9 enemy seeking exploding orbs.

Comedy option includes frost wall+traps or mines, creating 18-24 lines of frost wall per cast could be hilarious for filling the screen.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I really doubt Spell Cascade shotguns.

idea: volatile dead totem paired with Unearth.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 19, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

McFrugal posted:

regular GC does

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Have they said anything anywhere yet about how what the player does affects how elder/shaper influence spreads across the atlas?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Have they said anything anywhere yet about how what the player does affects how elder/shaper influence spreads across the atlas?

If you kill the boss in a map affected by shaper or elder you kick them out, reducing their ability to spread in that area and giving the other side a chance to take over. If you don't kill the boss the map remains the same.

And you don't need to kill bosses to get shaper or elder items so I'm not sure the war itself actually did anything at all for the meta besides further disincentivizing boss kills.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 19, 2017

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Do we know yet what killing the shaper or elder does wrt the atlas?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
More of an indepth post about Hungry Loop

* It does in fact consume 4 support gems (ie- it doesn't start with CWDT on it).
* Gems need to hit level 20 while socketed. Can't just plop a level 20 gem into it.
* Having a Hungry Loop consume conflicting gems (multiple triggers) breaks it and none of them work.
* Selling a Hungry Loop to a vendor gives you back the gems it consumed (but sells the ring).

AegisP fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 20, 2017

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

idea: volatile dead totem paired with Unearth.

Shotgunning only refers to projectiles, while this is aoe on the ground. These types of aoes have always been able to overlap

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I so want to use Spell Cascade with Storm Call. Or Contagion.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hooplah posted:

Shotgunning only refers to projectiles, while this is aoe on the ground. These types of aoes have always been able to overlap
But only from separate casts, as far as I know?

Honestly we'll have to wait and see how all three of these new supports will work, but if they do shotgun/overlap/apply, they could be pretty nuts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I so want to use Spell Cascade with Storm Call.

Same. I've had a Storm Call build on the back burner for a while and I think I'm gonna start Abyss with it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Besides necromancers who are always hungry for more sockets for extra minions or curses or corpse explosions, what classes and builds exist right now that would love a extra 5 socket skill?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Besides necromancers who are always hungry for more sockets for extra minions or curses or corpse explosions, what classes and builds exist right now that would love a extra 5 socket skill?

Wanders will love a place to stash their kb that isn't Thunderfist or a ludicrously expensive 6l hat. Chaos builds have a bit of trouble finding room for blight and a wither totem and whatever else they need.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Wanders will love a place to stash their kb that isn't Thunderfist or a ludicrously expensive 6l hat. Chaos builds have a bit of trouble finding room for blight and a wither totem and whatever else they need.

I guess Vaal power siphon or other 5l vaal skills would fit into that, raise zombies for necro builds that don't have the space.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It also means you could do something janky like a dualwield build with kaom's heart.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Man, I am bummed out that they chose to make it so that any mob can drop shaper/elder gear and that the altas only changes if you kill the boss. I was sooo looking forward to having a reason to actually kill bosses, but this way means you can just skip the boss and never advance the war and farm whatever you want, completely nullifying the entire point. RIP.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Lechtansi posted:

Man, I am bummed out that they chose to make it so that any mob can drop shaper/elder gear and that the altas only changes if you kill the boss. I was sooo looking forward to having a reason to actually kill bosses, but this way means you can just skip the boss and never advance the war and farm whatever you want, completely nullifying the entire point. RIP.

Yeah, I expressed this exact sentiment to some people who basically replied with "so what, just don't do the bosses!"

That... that's the point :(.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Does anyone have the link to the bow based trap build that was posted awhile ago? I can't seem to find it and I forget what skills it used.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Magma Orb doesn't shotgun with its split aoe (though multiple BOUNCES can hit the same target). Neither does Ice Trap or Frost Crash. Spell Cascade will almost certainly work like the latter two- the extra aoes count as the "same spell" and will act as a single aoe.

Maddot_66 posted:

Does anyone have the link to the bow based trap build that was posted awhile ago? I can't seem to find it and I forget what skills it used.

Wasn't there a shrapnel shot trap build?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The March Hare posted:

Yeah, I expressed this exact sentiment to some people who basically replied with "so what, just don't do the bosses!"

That... that's the point :(.

Yeah. I wonder if GGG will change it, since "avoiding the entire expansion gimmick" is now the optimal way to play.

Also, heres a build of the week from GGG with chin sol traps + shrapnel shot https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1998978

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what's generally considered the best/fastest leveling skills before 12-20ish

I'm torn between molten strike and magma orb, I enjoy the way they both play but certainly someone has done the :spergin: calculations

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Freezing Pulse, I think.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's generally considered the best/fastest leveling skills before 12-20ish

I'm torn between molten strike and magma orb, I enjoy the way they both play but certainly someone has done the :spergin: calculations

The shadows that were winning lowl level races use fire trap and freeze pulse into lightning trap, the duelists used sunder.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Yeah. I wonder if GGG will change it, since "avoiding the entire expansion gimmick" is now the optimal way to play.

Also, heres a build of the week from GGG with chin sol traps + shrapnel shot https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1998978

Might be a bit early to call if not killing bosses is the optimal way to play.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Might be a bit early to call if not killing bosses is the optimal way to play.

I mean, outside of them adding an additional unannounced thing it definitely is. If you're... warmongering your atlas for full shaper maps because you are looking for shaper items you will not kill map bosses because doing so will flip the map to elder control.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The March Hare posted:

I mean, outside of them adding an additional unannounced thing it definitely is. If you're... warmongering your atlas for full shaper maps because you are looking for shaper items you will not kill map bosses because doing so will flip the map to elder control.

You do have to kill the elder map bosses to keep that at bay though. Remains to be seen how fast things can get flipped if you aren't doing something ( I could see it requiring you to actively kill bosses in the opposite style zones to keep what you want in control)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

You do have to kill the elder map bosses to keep that at bay though. Remains to be seen how fast things can get flipped if you aren't doing something ( I could see it requiring you to actively kill bosses in the opposite style zones to keep what you want in control)

Where do you see that? On baeclast the claim was that Chris said the only thing that flipped them was you killing the map boss. Maybe I misinterpreted or missed something.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I thought in the IGN interview he said that maps would get flipped if they were overwhelmed by the other side, but I could be misremembering.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

I thought in the IGN interview he said that maps would get flipped if they were overwhelmed by the other side, but I could be misremembering.

Yeah, I initially thought there was some kind of built-in decay thing that would keep you on your toes. But the dudes on baeclast got Chris to go over and respond to some questions and they really made it seem like the reality was that once you had the maps how you wanted them they wouldn't change unless you killed the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What was that about the Elder getting stronger if you let it consume bosses? AKA if you kill bosses in elder-controlled maps? Is it just that you get higher level guardian fragments from higher level elder bosses, or something?