Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I can’t speak to anyone else, but rohrabacher will be gone in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Issa was super close last time. Less than 2k votes.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

someone please get rid of ken calvert holy poo poo this guy sucks

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Eight.

• Jeff Denham
  • David Valadao
  • Steve Knight
  • Ed Royce
  • Dana Rohrbacher
  • Mimi Walters
  • Darrel Issa
  • Duncan Hunter

Forgetting
  • Dianne Feinstein

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Zwabu posted:

How many GOP congressional seats could potentially be flipped R to D in 2018 in California alone?

Issa?
Rohrbacher?
Duncan Hunter?

Rorbacher and Nunes have both been caught up in the Mueller investigation and could be uniquely vulnerable if that breaks wide and Hunter and Issa are notorious shitheads, but, as always, it depends on the priorities of the state and local democrats to actually field and support viable candidates against them. The San Diego Dems have fielded nothing but sacrificial lambs in Duncan Jr's district since his dad got elected and I'm not sure there's anything on Earth that could get them to start campaigning seriously in East County, even if he did use his campaign account as a personal slush fund.

Issa is a much better shot, but a lot of the local activists may be busy playing defence for Scott Peters next door. Scott's a good guy, but he's been a bit of a double-edged sword for SD democrats because his supporters are loving obsessed with him and last year every single lefty group in the county seemed to have a few people there who just couldn't shut up about that race.

The county Democratic infrastructure seems to focus on one race at a time to the exclusion of all else and that race is usually in the northwestern part of the county where most of the prominent activists and rich liberal donors live. If they rally around someone like Doug Applegate and Issa's seat becomes The Only Race That Matters, then he's in trouble, but we're also slated to have two contentious County Supervisor's races for Horn and Roberts' vacant seats in the same region.

The race for Roberts' seat will include Nathan Fletcher's third attempt to prove that he's totally a Democrat now and people will definitely vote for him. His wife, Lorena Gonzales Fletcher (aka the legislator who just broke SANDAG), is incredibly powerful in the county party and popular with the activists (for reasons that escape me) and the would-be power couple have been busily barnstorming all the Democratic clubs to undermine the real Democrat in the race (Lori Saldana is a friend, so I'm biased) and the whole thing has the makings of a complete poo poo show. I don't know where the multi-tasking averse SD Dems will direct their energy, but I'm reasonably sure it won't be East County.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Instant Sunrise posted:

Eight.

• Jeff Denham
  • David Valadao
  • Steve Knight
  • Ed Royce
  • Dana Rohrbacher
  • Mimi Walters
  • Darrel Issa
  • Duncan Hunter

I still cant believe car-thief-issa has lasted this long. loving garbage OC.

https://www.salon.com/2013/06/04/the_farce_that_is_darrell_issa/

quote:

Issa financed the recall, and hoped to run for governor himself, but then the Los Angeles Times and other California papers began reporting on his earlier legal troubles. There was particular attention to his indictment for grand theft when he reported his Mercedes stolen after his brother William sold it; William had earlier obtained the right to do so from his brother. The two men had different stories for a while, and authorities believed they’d conspired to sell the car, report a “theft” and collect insurance on it.

(I personally think the arson investigation was even more damning: An Issa colleague gave investigators vivid detail that indicated his car-alarm factory had been intentionally torched, after Issa increased his insurance from $100,000 to $462,000. “Quite frankly,” Joey Adkins told authorities, “I feel the man set the fire.” But the local fire marshal never determined the fire’s cause.)

Apparently worth 450 million after all the scams and congressional favors.

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/16/150739985/house-investigator-issa-has-faced-allegations-as-well

quote:

Issa made his fortune building and selling Viper car alarms. He is the wealthiest member of Congress, worth as much as $450 million. In fact, it's Issa's voice on the popular alarm's signature warning to would-be thieves: "Protected by Viper. Stand back."

What's less well known is how Issa got into car alarms in the first place.

"For years I used to tell everyone that I went into it because my brother was a car thief. Then they found out when I ran for office my brother did spend time in prison as a car thief, and it ruined the whole joke I'd had for 20 years in business," Issa said during an interview with WhoRunsGov.

Issa himself was accused several times of auto theft. In the early 1970s, he and his brother were arrested after police suspected them of stealing a Maserati sports car from a dealership in Cleveland. Issa says the police mistook his identity, and the charges were later dismissed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Issa is considered dead man walking as far as reelection

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jaxyon posted:

Issa is considered dead man walking as far as reelection

I'm surprised he hasn't tried to retire and save face so he has a better resume for all those sweet sweet consulting and lobbying gigs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't tried to retire and save face so he has a better resume for all those sweet sweet consulting and lobbying gigs.
I'd bet money on him announcing early in the new year that he's not running for re-election.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My local political group has utterly ignored the Dems and we are ready to bathe in Issa's blood, he's so hosed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

someone please get rid of ken calvert holy poo poo this guy sucks

Yeah please kick this worthless sack of poo poo out on his rear end, for the love of all that is holy.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One nice thing is that Ro Khanna turned out to be ok, at least on foreign policy

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Ro Khanna is actually really good

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah please kick this worthless sack of poo poo out on his rear end, for the love of all that is holy.

Amen

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bodhidharma posted:

Ro Khanna is actually really good

I remember him being billed as a “business friendly” technocrat during the campaign, but I gotta give him props on Yemen and Saudi Arabia

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

The majority of personal bankruptcies in the US are medical bankruptcies. And the most tragic part is that typically when one person is facing a hundred thousand dollars in bills for their hospitlization after an accident, or their cancer treatment or whatever, those bills come spread out over months or years, and their entire families wipe out their savings and sell their homes etc. and all go down in flames and only declare bankruptcy once nobody can pay anything any more.

By comparison, finding a room to rent in some cheap rural part of the state, so you can establish residency and then get all that treatment for free? Sounds like an amazing deal to me.

I agree as well. The difficulty is that the idea of a statewide subsidized health care plan for everyone will have to be sold to the voters based on its costs and benefits. Health insurance works by spreading risk; the healthy people pay more into it than they get out, and the sick pay less, but you're insured so it's worth it for everyone. But if the state of California winds up absorbing the most expensive uninsured Americans from across the country, that upsets the balance - e.g., the cost to CA taxpayers rises.

I don't know that it's definitely a huge problem. But I don't know how anyone could possibly estimate how much of a problem it would actually be: it'd be an unprecedented experiment. One way you could control the cost would be to refuse to cover pre-existing conditions of people who move into the state, but that'd be awful, and also probably horribly undermine the system's viability.

One thing California definitely could not do is prevent other American citizens from entering the state and establishing whatever level of residency would be necessary to qualify for the health care. A healthy state can and should absorb immigrants, but a rising population requires addition to infrastructure and that takes time and money. In the end it more than pays back what it cost, in increased productivity, more vibrant and diverse communities, etc.

So I dunno. I hope we try it out. But I think one of the key lines of attack opponents will trot out is the one that anti-homeless-help people trot out all the time: if we provide very generous services, the needy will flock to them from elsewhere and overwhelm them with demand. That's not a good enough reason not to do the right thing, but it's also not a factor that we should just totally ignore and pretend can't possibly happen.

e. Just as an anecdote. My brother in law has MS, and it has advanced relatively quickly. He's now almost totally paralyzed and completely confined to a bed. CA provides in-home care about 30 hours a week, and my sister has to try and do the rest. She can't, so the family helps as much as we can. It's not enough, though, and a lack of constant care has led to bed sores (he has to be turned every hour), sepsis, hosptializations, and eventually as he becomes weaker and weaker, he will die. When exactly, we don't know, but it's coming. Before that, there are going to be hellish bills to pay, some picked up by the state, some by SSI, and some just not covered. If some other state in the country provided actual full-time care, for free, along with all the medication he needs, free hospitalizations when needed, etc? gently caress yes we'd move him there, along with my sister and their two kids. We'd all chip in for the rent on whatever we could afford in any community we could find a spot for them. Especially if they started in a state that offered even worse help than what CA does (which right now is most of them). We can't afford to hire full-time qualified medical staff, but between his disability income and what the rest of us could chip in, we could afford basic rent in someplace like Eureka, CA. If it gave him a shot at an extra year or two of life? Without hesitation.

Fag
Learn to sAny less with mezzo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cumshitter posted:

Fag
Learn to sAny less with mezzo

I really hope you don't live in California

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Re: the anti-homeless stuff - other states have been caught literally dumping their homeless on us already, we might as well help them because they're ending up here one way or another

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Nunes isn’t going anywhere, Tulare County is red as gently caress and his district manages to miss most of Fresno so it’s entirely suburban & rural.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does have part of Fresno. Just, the northern part. The same part that gave us Steve Brandau, that absolute fucker (relevant to the anti-homeless talk, since he's responsible for a city council thing here to pretty much make homelessness illegal), plus Fresno State and I think Clovis.

So, yeah. He's more likely to go from being caught in Mueller's investigation than he is to get voted out, sad to say.

I hope Valadao gets axed at least. And that some of the local state-level Republicans, like Patterson and Berryhill, have challengers, since they really need some but strangely have been spared that, but I don't know of anyone announcing against them yet.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Nunes isn’t going anywhere, Tulare County is red as gently caress and his district manages to miss most of Fresno so it’s entirely suburban & rural.

That being said, I found out from a family member the other day that the Long Island district where she lives, which is one of the reddest voting areas in New York, recently voted in a democratic supervisor (for this first time in 30+ years).

So hey, anything's possible now? :shrug:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Re: the anti-homeless stuff - other states have been caught literally dumping their homeless on us already, we might as well help them because they're ending up here one way or another

Lol, pretty sure there are better things for California to be doing with its budget than subsidizing the homeless program of every other state that would rather buy them Greyhound tickets, even if we could afford it (cue chorus of, "But if we just appropriate all of Peter Thiel's money...")

That's not even touching the fact that we're going to have to get a lot more parsimonious with our social services if we want to have demand driven single payer health care.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I remember him being billed as a “business friendly” technocrat during the campaign, but I gotta give him props on Yemen and Saudi Arabia

I was skeptical of Ro Khanna at first because he ousted Mike Honda, who was a solidly liberal congressman, but he's gained my support within the last year.

Khanna supports some really progressive legislation like John Conyer's HR 676 Medicare For All Bill as well as the Social Security 2100 Act, which would expand Social Security benefits rather than cut them. Ro Khanna recently introduced a bill titled the Corporate Responsibility and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2017, which taxes large corporations who do not pay their employees a living wage. I also admire that he did the right thing and endorsed Kevin de Leon over Dianne Feinstein for the 2018 Senate race.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Genuine curiosity here: what does, for instance, Canada do to prevent these theoretical healthcare leeches from establishing residence and getting FREE DIALYSIS?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genuine curiosity here: what does, for instance, Canada do to prevent these theoretical healthcare leeches from establishing residence and getting FREE DIALYSIS?

Being a sovereign nation state with an actual immigration process rather than being an administrative subdivision of a larger country? Getting citizenship in Canada is neither free nor easy nor guaranteed, and takes upwards of 12 months.

People with kidney disease who can't afford treatment probably don't have the resources to navigate that process successfully.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 20, 2017

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

It’s a lot harder to legally move from the US to Canada than from Texas to CA.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Another indirect (delayed) actor on imigration:

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-birth-tourism-persists-20161220-story.html

quote:

And in America's Chinese enclaves, they find a cottage industry of Chinese midwives, drivers and doctors who accept cash and "maternity hotels" — apartments or homes run as hotels for the women during their pregnancies.

Chinese listing sites show several hundred maternity hotels in Southern California, though it's not clear how many of the listings are active.

Lol.

quote:

The same year that authorities cracked down on birth tourism, "Finding Mr. Right," a dramatization of a Chinese mother's trip to Seattle to give birth, grossed $82 million in China, the ninth-highest-earning domestic film that year.

The film wraps the controversy of birth tourism in the familiar narrative confines of a sugary romantic comedy, telling the story of a Beijing tycoon's wife who flies to Seattle to give birth and falls in love with a driver at the maternity hotel.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Being a sovereign nation state with an actual immigration process rather than being an administrative subdivision of a larger country? Getting citizenship in Canada is neither free nor easy nor guaranteed, and takes upwards of 12 months.

People with kidney disease who can't afford treatment probably don't have the resources to navigate that process successfully.

Something I'm much more curious about : How did Saskatchewan prevent non-resident Canadians from taking advantage of them in the beginning?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
'Theoretical healthcare leeches' is also a pretty silly and :rolleyes: phrase. That making healthcare free would lead to sick people with super expensive conditions moving to CA is hardly theoretical and the point is that you need to account for this and set up residency requirements or pay for it. The real debate is how much that sort of thing would cost and often it is significantly underestimated by activist groups who really want single payer legislation passed for obvious reasons; when you look at states that have put a more realistic pricetag on single payer it has been soundly rejected. This is not unlike the larger debate over the individual mandate. You need to limit or eliminate the ability for people to game the system and take benefits while never making contributions or place significant hurdles to people getting care. If you don't your insurance company will go bankrupt or your healthcare system will have costs that spiral out of control.

It would be darkly humerous to see insurance companies in poor red states exploit non-existent or easy-to-get-around residency requirements and flying people to california for the weekend to have their procedures done on the CA taxpayers dime all the while saying how great their new trumpcare is.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lycus posted:

Something I'm much more curious about : How did Saskatchewan prevent non-resident Canadians from taking advantage of them in the beginning?
Moving to Saskatchewan being worse than death :v:

tsa posted:

That making healthcare free would lead to sick people with super expensive conditions moving to CA is hardly theoretical and the point is that you need to account for this and set up residency requirements or pay for it.
The problem is, if you set up a residency requirement, then you exclude the homeless and transients, who don't have things like a fixed address and proof of residency, and illegals/Dreamers, who by definition aren't lawful residents. Single payer advocates have been pretty vocal about not fencing those groups out.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 20, 2017

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Lycus posted:

It's hard to really make this comparison because so much has changed from the 1950s to now both in medicine and in other areas (the cost of travel was extremely prohibitive for poor people until fairly recently and most would not even have the means to take advantage of it). But more importantly the cost of medicine has skyrocketed, particularity at the upper extremes (all healthcare is generally more expensive after adjusting for inflation, but the top deciles are wayyy more expensive).

More to the point of your question : there was a 6 month residency requirement and something about taxes but also it spread very quickly in canada because that sort of setup already had significant public approval and the opposition was a lot more muted. The problem in the US is that you could have a situation where half the country has very bad healthcare for the foreseeable future and there will be strong incentives to game the differences.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

But if we just appropriate all of Peter Thiel's money...

:yeah:

Housing and food for Americans is a better use of money than gaudy-rear end mansions and quack fountain-of-youth treatments for aging investors.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 20, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

As always, gently caress off forever, Dead Reckoning.

Edit: Also, from the bill:

quote:

(x) “Resident” means an individual whose primary place of abode is in the state, without regard to the individual’s immigration status.

So double gently caress off.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 20, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Housing and food for Americans is a better use of money than gaudy-rear end mansions and quack fountain-of-youth treatments for aging investors.

This is down the list of Peter Thiel's sins and also somewhat off-topic I suppose, but there are so many better ways he could go about funding anti-aging/age-mitigation research (an actual worthwhile subject) than he does. But capitalistic vampirism is his nature, I suppose.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Being a sovereign nation state with an actual immigration process rather than being an administrative subdivision of a larger country?

Fair enough, but also no one likes you

tsa posted:

'Theoretical healthcare leeches' is also a pretty silly and :rolleyes: phrase. That making healthcare free would lead to sick people with super expensive conditions moving to CA is hardly theoretical and the point is that you need to account for this and set up residency requirements or pay for it.

It's entirely theoretical because single payer healthcare doesn't exist yet in California, you dweeb

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CPColin posted:

As always, gently caress off forever, Dead Reckoning.

What non-euphimistic term would you prefer I use in the future to refer to people who are in the country illegally?

CPColin posted:

Edit: Also, from the bill:

So double gently caress off.
People who are unlawful residents should not receive benefits reserved to residents.

Fair enough, but also no one likes you

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 20, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

What non-euphimistic term would you prefer I use in the future to refer to people who are in the country illegally?

People who are unlawful residents should not receive benefits reserved to residents.

the word is euphemism, you ignorant, slur-slinging gently caress

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why not.

They work, they pay taxes, as long as they've been living in the state for a minimum length of time I don't see why they shouldn't get the same benefits from paying their state and local taxes that anyone else does.

If you're not gonna send the feds down to ask for everyone's papers and bust down doors looking for people to deport, then I don't see why they shouldn't be treated like any other human being who lives in the state, because creating an underclass with no rights or social support is bad for society yo.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Obviously, I would prefer you use no term at all, because you are no longer posting in this thread, but "undocumented immigrant" would be okay. "Illegal alien" is more loaded, but still better than dehumanizing people with "illegals," you obtuse shithead.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The authors of the bill disagree and so do I. Healthcare is a basic human right and I'm tired of compromising on the subject with assholes like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

stone cold posted:

the word is euphemism, you ignorant, slur-slinging gently caress
Huh, OK. I think euphemisms shouldn't receive benefits reserved to lawful residents.

VitalSigns posted:

Why not.

They work, they pay taxes, as long as they've been living in the state for a minimum length of time I don't see why they shouldn't get the same benefits from paying their state and local taxes that anyone else does.
They are criminals, and their presence is the fruit of a criminal act. They have no legitimate claim to the benefits our society created for lawful citizens, irrespective of their compliance with our tax laws. A person should not be able to buy citizenship.

VitalSigns posted:

If you're not gonna send the feds down to ask for everyone's papers and bust down doors looking for people to deport, then I don't see why they shouldn't be treated like any other human being who lives in the state, because creating an underclass with no rights or social support is bad for society yo.
I wholly agree on the underclass bit. The fact that enforcing our immigration laws is impractical at this time does not mean that the law is wrong. I'm in favor of extending citizenship to those brought here as minors as a one-time good deal, and deporting the rest. I'm confident you disagree, but until such time as we as a country figure out how we are going to normalize the situation, we should not take steps that allow illegal aliens to more easily integrate into our society, because that will only make the eventual resolution more difficult (unless you are a no borders/amnesty for all proponent.)