Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

I spent today working at Walgreen's. AMA.

Do you usually work at Walgreens or is this a one off thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do you usually work at Walgreens or is this a one off thing?

I started a new class at Walgreen's. Actually, I started it Wednesday but I didn't know that it was Walgreen's, but they explained to me that they were actually Walgreen's Boots Alliance. They have a special bus, free orange juice, and this new office building that has elevators with windows.

You know, the normal day at work, phrasal verbs, prepositions, that type of thing.

Edit: also, sometimes I work for companies that don't like each other and are suing each other. So, for example, a few weeks ago I heard L'Oreal's side of the story, now I hear it from the other side.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What do you do? I thought you were a manufacturer in South America.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

BrandorKP posted:

What do you do? I thought you were a manufacturer in South America.

...did I ever say I was a manufacturer?

I'm an English teacher, so I work at different companies, in different sectors.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

I spent today working at Walgreen's. AMA.

excuse me, do you have any eclipse glasses?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Freakazoid_ posted:

excuse me, do you have any eclipse glasses?

I'm sorry, no. I just have a pair of normal sunglasses, and they are broken.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My make me not blind glasses go dark when there is the slightest bit of sun so I keep on looking like a knobhead who wears sunglasses indoors.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Speaking of sunglasses and retail, I really miss buying sunglasses from the Dollar Tree for one dollar.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

boner confessor posted:

consider that american bread = euro cake is true, but that it's not that american bread is bad, but rather europe has really lovely cake

Crow Jane posted:

May Mary Berry strike you down

If she doesn't, I will personally beat him to death with a Black Forest Cake.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BrandorKP posted:

I can poo poo money if I want to, but I work salaried for a not for profit, because it does a great deal of tangible good in the world. Good business is about building good systems and letting them repeat .

Hell yeah man, fight entropy!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

I'm sorry, no. I just have a pair of normal sunglasses, and they are broken.

Actual walgreens employees would've had flashbacks to august 21st.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
BTW, as soon as Sears collapses, this thread is going to be renamed "Sears Dead. So What?"

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Sears or JC Penney who dies first?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

KingFisher posted:

Sears or JC Penney who dies first?

Both die on the same day, but Sears will announce bankruptcy about five hours after JCPenney files, believing that JCP will buy out their home appliances.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sears will easily die first.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Sears will easily die first.

Hell, they've pretty much burned through the additional line of credit that Lampert gave to them in ~5 minutes. Also, Sears has negative equity of ~$5 billion on paper, whereas JC Penneys has ~$1 billion of equity on paper. I think Sears will file bankruptcy on or shortly after New Year's (maybe wait until the end of the 1/28/18 year-end quarter) and JC Penneys may be able to stagger along until later in the year.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think sears has a name that means something to someone and at least some chinese website that wanted a US presence would buy it out, JC Pennies seems like it could just die die and go away.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sears is already dead. They exist on paper because Lampert's convinced the board that they can get something back out if he floats them through Christmas.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think sears has a name that means something to someone and at least some chinese website that wanted a US presence would buy it out, JC Pennies seems like it could just die die and go away.

I have serious doubts that any Chinese website would buy it out for the ~$12 billion in debt (as of 7/29/17) or even the secured debt held by Lampert and anyone else (which appears to be about half of that) - in addition, they tried selling their brands and could only offload Craftsman, so I'm not too sure the names that Sears holds really means too much nowadays.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i was in a sears recently and it was actively depressing, there were no employees to be seen and half the shelves were empty

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Edit: Wrong thread, gently caress.

boner confessor posted:

i was in a sears recently and it was actively depressing, there were no employees to be seen and half the shelves were empty

Even profitable stores barely have enough crew to keep things going. I can't imagine how much it must suck to keep a Wal-Mart sized store running with like four guys and a manager, but if you're not getting shipments or customers it must be easier.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 19, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Horseshoe theory posted:

I have serious doubts that any Chinese website would buy it out for the ~$12 billion in debt (as of 7/29/17) or even the secured debt held by Lampert and anyone else (which appears to be about half of that) - in addition, they tried selling their brands and could only offload Craftsman, so I'm not too sure the names that Sears holds really means too much nowadays.

Why would Chinese Company X need to buy out the debt when all they're after is the branding? You're talking about buying the whole company, which is radically different really.

Consider: when Circuit City went under they had massive debt, but the people who run TigerDirect were able to buy out the names and branding for only a few million and no taking on debt.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Consider: when Circuit City went under they had massive debt, but the people who run TigerDirect were able to buy out the names and branding for only a few million and no taking on debt.

God that reminds me that Circuit City bought all the Radioshack stores outside USA. What a great idea, lasted like 4 years lol. :v:

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I was working for circuit city when it went under. Rolled up to the doors to find them barred. That was a fun thing to explain to my (then) wife.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Southeastern Grocery is in bankruptcy. Harveys Bi Lo, Winn Dixie, etc.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Why would Chinese Company X need to buy out the debt when all they're after is the branding? You're talking about buying the whole company, which is radically different really.

Except that Lampert deliberately made himself the senior secured creditor so that he could strip the remaining assets in an inevitable bankruptcy, since it's equity and unsecured creditors that get wiped out. So any acquirer would have to pay Lampert off in order to get assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation.

Edit: From a brief review, Circuit City had something like $3.4 billion in assets vs. $2.32 billion in debt at the time of their Chapter 11 filing, so that would mean there was about $1.1 in distributable assets after the debt was satisfied (also, some of those $3.4 billion in total assets probably were auctioned off to TigerDirect, etc. in order to satisfy the $2.32 billion and distribute the excess to shareholders whereas in the case of Sears the secured debt owned by Lampert may or may not be satisfied with the remaining assets at the time of a bankruptcy filing and he may or may not want to give up some of the brands and other assets without being made whole on his debt funding).

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 20, 2017

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except that Lampert deliberately made himself the senior secured creditor so that he could strip the assets in bankruptcy, since it's equity and unsecured creditors that get wiped out. So any acquirer would have to pay Lampert off in order to get assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation.

any moron who lent to sears or acquired equity deserves what they get

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BrandorKP posted:

Southeastern Grocery is in bankruptcy. Harveys Bi Lo, Winn Dixie, etc.

Great. Looking forward to Kroger and Publix and Walmart hoovering up more market share

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

About half the debt was the management fee extracted by private equity, too. Yay

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Edit: Wrong thread, gently caress.

Even profitable stores barely have enough crew to keep things going. I can't imagine how much it must suck to keep a Wal-Mart sized store running with like four guys and a manager, but if you're not getting shipments or customers it must be easier.

I picked out grill at sears but gave up and left when no employee could be found and I heard another customer from afar just yelling “hello?” over and over.

At my next stop the greeter at Home Depot was helping me before I got into the store.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except that Lampert deliberately made himself the senior secured creditor so that he could strip the remaining assets in an inevitable bankruptcy, since it's equity and unsecured creditors that get wiped out. So any acquirer would have to pay Lampert off in order to get assets in a Chapter 7 liquidation.

Edit: From a brief review, Circuit City had something like $3.4 billion in assets vs. $2.32 billion in debt at the time of their Chapter 11 filing, so that would mean there was about $1.1 in distributable assets after the debt was satisfied (also, some of those $3.4 billion in total assets probably were auctioned off to TigerDirect, etc. in order to satisfy the $2.32 billion and distribute the excess to shareholders whereas in the case of Sears the secured debt owned by Lampert may or may not be satisfied with the remaining assets at the time of a bankruptcy filing and he may or may not want to give up some of the brands and other assets without being made whole on his debt funding).

Sears’ debt is irrelevant to what the sears brand on its own is worth and I’ll go out on a limb to say it’s not worth as much as sear’s debt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ok, again, why do you think that means that the person who purchases the Sears name and related intellectual property needs to also buy anything else from Sears as a settled matter? Lampert may get the assets yes, but that doesn't then stop Lampert from selling the Sears name and intellectual property to Chinese Company X. Perhaps he'll try to make them buy all the debt obligations too, but they would have no reason to do that, and he'd probably be willing to get that quick cash from selling the name now that everything's closed.

You're framing this as acquiring any part requires acquiring the whole thing: this is not true.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazon just started doing its own brand furniture in the states. God speed all other furniture stores.

Side note, in the UK we have Argos (founded 1972) which is basically a store with big laminated catalogues with codes next to the item. You put your code in the machine (or take it to the counter) get given a receipt and then wait for somone to bring it out from the warehouse in the back.

They are beating amazon at their own game. You see humble Argos has so many of these warehouse stores and an established fleet of its own delivery trucks that it can deliver same day, for the same price as any other deliver, and not only that, if you live close to one of them then computer says yes and it gives you the option of putting your item on the next van to leave the store. I once had a phone delivered 2 hours after I ordered it. Yes on some large items there can be a 2 days to a week’s wait, but then they know they aren’t competing with amazon on them - I suspect this will change now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The game would be truly afoot if Amazon were to start a Basics line, but for furniture, because then they'd be directly abutting IKEA.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

Side note, in the UK we have Argos (founded 1972) which is basically a store with big laminated catalogues with codes next to the item. You put your code in the machine (or take it to the counter) get given a receipt and then wait for somone to bring it out from the warehouse in the back.

They are beating amazon at their own game. You see humble Argos has so many of these warehouse stores and an established fleet of its own delivery trucks that it can deliver same day, for the same price as any other deliver, and not only that, if you live close to one of them then computer says yes and it gives you the option of putting your item on the next van to leave the store. I once had a phone delivered 2 hours after I ordered it. Yes on some large items there can be a 2 days to a week’s wait, but then they know they aren’t competing with amazon on them - I suspect this will change now.

From the 30s to like the 80s (it apparently lasted as a company until 2000 but was long dead by the time and closed with a stock price of one cent per share) America had "service merchandise" with that model.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The game would be truly afoot if Amazon were to start a Basics line, but for furniture, because then they'd be directly abutting IKEA.

Murdering, either figuratively or literally, the assholes who crafted a shopping experience that makes you walk all the way through the loving store every time is something I very much support.

I think part of the reason Amazon and online retail in general is cleaning up is because traditional retail uses this one weird trick shoppers hate! to increase sales -- basically, by making the store and/or mall hard to navigate so you see and consequently buy more products.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

PT6A posted:

Murdering, either figuratively or literally, the assholes who crafted a shopping experience that makes you walk all the way through the loving store every time is something I very much support.

I think part of the reason Amazon and online retail in general is cleaning up is because traditional retail uses this one weird trick shoppers hate! to increase sales -- basically, by making the store and/or mall hard to navigate so you see and consequently buy more products.

Just get a cinnamon roll before you start and calm down buddy. Also follow the shortcuts on the map.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

asdf32 posted:

Just get a cinnamon roll before you start and calm down buddy. Also follow the shortcuts on the map.

Yeah, the store is designed to prompt you to walk all the way through it, but you can walk right in and right out pretty quickly if you just follow the shortcuts. I actually rather like IKEA'S store design. Folks treat it more like a destination rather than an everyday shopping experience, so walking through a series of showcases is actually fairly useful and/or entertaining.

As for Amazon getting into the furniture game...they kind of already are, but what about stuff like Wayfair that already exists? Would they really be more convenient than that?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

LogisticEarth posted:

As for Amazon getting into the furniture game...they kind of already are, but what about stuff like Wayfair that already exists? Would they really be more convenient than that?
Every time I have looked at wayfair I find myself wondering if this is what Martha's Vineyard looks like because I've yet to see styling that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

RuanGacho posted:

Every time I have looked at wayfair I find myself wondering if this is what Martha's Vineyard looks like because I've yet to see styling that I like.

They have a general mix of styles, but yeah, it's never anything mind blowing*, and I can't imagine that a hypothetical Amazon Basics furniture line would be inspirational.

*Some of the more expensive stuff (e.g. $1500+) can look interesting, but I'll be damned if I ever buy furniture that expensive off a website sight unseen. Might as well go to an actual furniture store, maker, or antique/vintage refinishing place at that stage.