Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

Pictured: Magius1337est's last birthday party

Jfc i'd rather not celebrate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

got any sevens posted:

Jfc i'd rather not celebrate it

2/3 people in the picture would appear to agree with you

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Cruise ships roll pretty fresh stores wise these days, fishmech. Generally the whole voyage every meal is prepared from fresh. Something like a bulk carrier is a better example.

I work on a drillship. We roll remarkably fresh as well, and we're out for two months at a time. We're probably a bit spoiled though, compared to some.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

site location, demographic analyzation, product ordering and throughput, operation efficiency, employee management, consumer satisfaction,

you know, all the poo poo that requires a college degree and that the parent company doesn't want to deal with

why, what do you do in your job?

None od this requires a college degree. The janitor cleaning poo poo off the toilet can be trained to do those tasks. You are not special.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Magius1337est posted:

site location, demographic analyzation, product ordering and throughput, operation efficiency, employee management, consumer satisfaction,

you know, all the poo poo that requires a college degree and that the parent company doesn't want to deal with

why, what do you do in your job?

So, basic undergrad data analysis? Because that stuff is fairly simple from a data analysis perspective.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
man i guess its so easy you guys must be on track to start your own successful business

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

man i guess its so easy you guys must be on track to start your own successful business

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Magius1337est posted:

nah i can't order products

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i mean i would have started a successful subway franchise (Eat Fresh!) but i decided to buy a used toyota corolla instead

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

You got me, I'm just a dirty toilet-scrubbing poor who dreams of one day opening my own fast food franchise

PS Potbelly is exponentially better than Subway is, in every way

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Even if I had the capital to start a business I wouldn't because of my crippling ideological dogmatism.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

So, basic undergrad data analysis? Because that stuff is fairly simple from a data analysis perspective.

And the application and execution thereof? How do you decide which variables matter the most without data? Where do you get that data? How much are you paying for the data? How do you decide what actions to take, even if there are no conflicting data points? How much extra money does the correct application of the data bring?

That's why you need experience, innovation, and a diverse skillset to do it well.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

Starting a business is for people too poor to not inherit one. I'm so wealthy I don't even know how my empire operates.

God damned peasants.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

It isn't that you don't work for the money you get, it's that you have a highly entitled sense of self and think you are somehow above the people busting their rear end to make you more money. You also seem to think you are uniquely qualified and have some special knowledge about this poo poo when really just about anyone can be trained up to do the same tasks.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dameius posted:

It isn't that you don't work for the money you get, it's that you have a highly entitled sense of self and think you are somehow above the people busting their rear end to make you more money. You also seem to think you are uniquely qualified and have some special knowledge about this poo poo when really just about anyone can be trained up to do the same tasks.

I'll bet he makes all of his employees sign non-competes as well.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

baquerd posted:

And the application and execution thereof? How do you decide which variables matter the most without data? Where do you get that data? How much are you paying for the data? How do you decide what actions to take, even if there are no conflicting data points? How much extra money does the correct application of the data bring?

That's why you need experience, innovation, and a diverse skillset to do it well.

"Experience, innovation and a diverse skillset" are all corporate buzzwords and an introductory statistics course will teach you quite easily how to chose variables (application of proper tests of statistical significance run for each data type) and gathering data (field work, others' field work (for example having front-end employees track what is sold to customers by different sociological variables e.g, age, ethnicity, gender) or buying that data if you are bougie). Tests of statistical significance solve issues of what action to take as they can inform likelihood of success, especially when applied with research from comparable areas. That also solves the final question, as it simply involves waiting to see if the correct application has been chosen, which by relying on previous published research results and your own data analysis you can increase the likelihood of that occurring.

I know that the business world likes to ignore academic social science data and analysis, but we really are pretty good at it for the applications they want. It's why the sellouts who leave trying to understand the world for making profit make bank.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
They don't make bank because of any quality of work, they make bank because they give justification to whatever agenda an executive has. Basically nerdy marketers. Millions of impressions!!

That is my take from working at corporate retailers anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

"Experience, innovation and a diverse skillset" are all corporate buzzwords and an introductory statistics course will teach you quite easily how to chose variables (application of proper tests of statistical significance run for each data type) and gathering data (field work, others' field work (for example having front-end employees track what is sold to customers by different sociological variables e.g, age, ethnicity, gender) or buying that data if you are bougie). Tests of statistical significance solve issues of what action to take as they can inform likelihood of success, especially when applied with research from comparable areas. That also solves the final question, as it simply involves waiting to see if the correct application has been chosen, which by relying on previous published research results and your own data analysis you can increase the likelihood of that occurring.

I know that the business world likes to ignore academic social science data and analysis, but we really are pretty good at it for the applications they want. It's why the sellouts who leave trying to understand the world for making profit make bank.

The poster you're replying to believes in good old slavery as a moral and good business as well. Of course he'd be on board for wage slave franchise practices that marginalize the actual labor.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Hand Row posted:

They don't make bank because of any quality of work, they make bank because they give justification to whatever agenda an executive has. Basically nerdy marketers. Millions of impressions!!

That is my take from working at corporate retailers anyway.

That's why they drive me insane, as I aspire to follow my mentors into low-paying but at least ethnically sane work.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Magius1337est is also the op of a gbs thread in which he asks people to gather spank material for him: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838793

so, like, no loving surprises here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

The amount of data that can be collected is often hard/expensive to collect, overwhelming in its diversity, conflicting, and in very few ways decisive as to the correct action for the business to take to maximize profits. That simple term of "maximizing profits" is itself beholden to myriad tax laws, time frame, and unknowables. I would :toxx: that you have not had to do this in a business environment where you had free reign to decide what to investigate, or you would be singing a different tune.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

Here's an idea, a completely horizontally organized company that manages to stay in business and not cannibalize itself or fail to make any important decisions.

You are in for a surprise...

That's the future of supply chains dude. You're going to be eaten.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 15, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

there's a reason people like you are easily replaceable.

why is it you just won't accept you won the game man, why do keep acting like you're important? petty insults aren't gonna make you look any better, surely you see that

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
No one wants to think they're "the man" because if they are, they have no excuse for their misery.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Beachcomber posted:

No one wants to think they're "the man" because if they are, they have no excuse for their misery.

Clearly the guy who scrubs the toilets is slacking. Probably impacting foot traffic, what would you know, pleb.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Is it sourdough, wholemeal and has to actually be chewed instead of melting away like cotton candy? If that's not an option then your bread isn't actually decent :colbert:

:rolleyes: Sourdough? Really? You're not even going to go with something challenging like pumpernickel?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sourdough is simply a natural leaven slick

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

What I do has no private sector analogue.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I spent today working at Walgreen's. AMA.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

there wolf posted:

:rolleyes: Sourdough? Really? You're not even going to go with something challenging like pumpernickel?

Remember we're talking to people who think anything even slightly tougher than cotton candy is

fishmech posted:

European rock bread that's barely fit for an unfavorable mule

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

Remember we're talking to people who think anything even slightly tougher than cotton candy is

This is exactly the sort of attitude I was talking about, lol.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
consider that american bread = euro cake is true, but that it's not that american bread is bad, but rather europe has really lovely cake

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

boner confessor posted:

consider that american bread = euro cake is true, but that it's not that american bread is bad, but rather europe has really lovely cake

May Mary Berry strike you down

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I like sourdough. I freeze it as well.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
eat fresh

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

boner confessor posted:

You need bored as gently caress royalty to come up with a cake this deliciously elegant.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

why not both? (I expect that Americake is actually worse)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a breadmaker that takes four hours to make the exact same bread that I can buy from the bakery round the corner, for the same price as the ingredients.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

noyes posted:

eat fresh

Careful, dont eat prepubescent bread.

glowing-fish posted:

I spent today working at Walgreen's. AMA.

Just today? First day? How bad was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

The office I work in is going to invoice over a million this year with nothing but 3 guys, 150 sf, 3 cars, and the most basic office hardware.

I can poo poo money if I want to, but I work salaried for a not for profit, because it does a great deal of tangible good in the world. Good business is about building good systems and letting them repeat . It ain't as hard as you think it is. And you aren't special.