Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nioh bothers me terribly because you start out in England, with lots of English weapons and they should, by all rights, be manifestly superior to the stuff the Japanese were using.

I get that it's inferior for reasons of gameplay and progression but still

Also the loading screen refers to King William the First which is oddly jarring to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rangpur posted:

did

did you just insult my hanzo steel
yep
Now that I think about it, I have no idea what the Japanese mighta thought of the poo poo Europeans used other than guns

Triarii posted:

Also, Nioh is set in a wacky alternate history where generals in Japan summon demons in their armies and resurrect dead folks as a matter of course. When your katana is literally magical and lights people on fire when you hit them, I think you can excuse it being better than a European weapon.
Eh, it's still just weird and dumb that your sword made of real steel and armour made of actual metal is worse but it's just gameplay conceits

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the loading screen refers to King William the First which is oddly jarring to read.
It's a weird game all around, and the prologue especially so. I really don't get why it's there. All the important parts of the guys actual life begin in japan anyway

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

yep
Now that I think about it, I have no idea what the Japanese mighta thought of the poo poo Europeans used other than guns

Probably not much at all. It's a sword, most people don't give a poo poo about it's iron to carbon ratios or whatever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Getting back to it after a long time off, and I'm reminded that I really wish Stardrew Valley had some sort of internal note-taking system. I mean, something to remind me to do X on Sundays would be nice, or something more comprehensive so I'm not wondering what the hell I have planted in the greenhouse and why.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Eh, it's still just weird and dumb that your sword made of real steel and armour made of actual metal is worse but it's just gameplay conceits

W...what do you think Japanese swords and armour are made of?

They used steel and iron as well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

yep
It's a weird game all around, and the prologue especially so. I really don't get why it's there. All the important parts of the guys actual life begin in japan anyway

Also - three loving tutorials. And a training level explaining how to swap out skills several hours after I figured it out myself.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

poo poo steel and iron.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The swords are magic.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(Nier Automato spoilers) Just got endings C, D, and E..out of all of them, I think D is my favorite, for obvious reasons, shame that A2 has to be sacrificed for that one though. poor 9S, he never scored and failed to become Revengeance Raiden. Shame that I couldn't understand a lick of whatever the gently caress the point of any of this was, still enjoyable! A2 was the best, she just wanted to murder everything.

a big, giant problem i had with the game was the camera. whenever the camera is fixed in a certain way, it's in the most annoying way possible. here's a gigantic zoom-out to the point where you cant see the characters without squinting, here's a top-down view while these stationary hacking enemies are shooting bullets everywhere (even though it doesn't do that later on)

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Nov 18, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You say Automato, I say Automato

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Calaveron posted:

You say Automato, I say Automato

Nier enough.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes and yes. It feels more like an excuse to port the game to current gen consoles than an actual graphical update.

The port that nobody wanted

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
In my Yakuza playthrough, I'm now on Yakuza 4.

I enjoyed this game until Part 2. I've never seen two people take so loving long to escape prison. Stop with the loving heart-to-hearts! Jesus.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I played the first chapter of Tales from the Borderlands and it was SO god drat good, nearly every joke landed perfectly, I love all the characters, even the faceless random guys are memorable, and it inspired me to reinstall Borderlands 2 and give it a real shot.

An hour in and while it's not as awful as I remember (I'm still in snow zone though), man it's really glaring how brutally unfunny it is. Anything besides Handsome Jack is either "...alright" or cringe-inducingly unfunny

Also it still absolutely drives me up the wall that the first time I played, I thought "oh I get it! Handsome Jack's baiting vault hunters, then paying bandits to kill them so they have to use the New U respawns over and over and nickel-and-dime them out of their money! That's really clever!" and then it turns out the New U stations are non canon despite characters mentioning them in game and talking about respawning, and actually Handsome Jack's killing vault hunters because he's just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Anthony Burch you loving suck, I ACCIDENTALLY came up with a better story than what you were paid to write :argh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

I played the first chapter of Tales from the Borderlands and it was SO god drat good, nearly every joke landed perfectly, I love all the characters, even the faceless random guys are memorable, and it inspired me to reinstall Borderlands 2 and give it a real shot.

An hour in and while it's not as awful as I remember (I'm still in snow zone though), man it's really glaring how brutally unfunny it is. Anything besides Handsome Jack is either "...alright" or cringe-inducingly unfunny

Also it still absolutely drives me up the wall that the first time I played, I thought "oh I get it! Handsome Jack's baiting vault hunters, then paying bandits to kill them so they have to use the New U respawns over and over and nickel-and-dime them out of their money! That's really clever!" and then it turns out the New U stations are non canon despite characters mentioning them in game and talking about respawning, and actually Handsome Jack's killing vault hunters because he's just kind of an rear end in a top hat. Anthony Burch you loving suck, I ACCIDENTALLY came up with a better story than what you were paid to write :argh:

People who are creepily knowledgeable about the years-old twitter posts of one of the many writers of Borderlands 2 and harbor half-decade long grudges against them as individuals based on their perceived slights about the game's plot are easily the worst thing to come out of the franchise.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
personally i think the writing is, but to each their own

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Guy Mann posted:

People who are creepily knowledgeable about the years-old twitter posts of one of the many writers of Borderlands 2 and harbor half-decade long grudges against them as individuals based on their perceived slights about the game's plot are easily the worst thing to come out of the franchise.

I don't know if I'd consider remembering he said the New U stations weren't canon "creepily knowledgable", or that thinking some guy sucks at writing is a "half decade long grudge against them as individuals", but alright :shrug:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The worst part of Borderlands 2 is when it gets really difficult and grindy for no reason

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Probably not much at all. It's a sword, most people don't give a poo poo about it's iron to carbon ratios or whatever.
Its really moot anyway, because by the time they meet the best armour was phased out anyway

Perestroika posted:

trash and ingenuity. japanese lamellar was trash even compared to continental lamellar and the armour you use in the prologue is leaps and bounds superior just in its design but combined with the materials?

Basically you should have been laughing at enemy attacks in Japan

Danaru posted:

I don't know if I'd consider remembering he said the New U stations weren't canon "creepily knowledgable", or that thinking some guy sucks at writing is a "half decade long grudge against them as individuals", but alright :shrug:
in retrospect a lotta folks got swept up in blaming burch for being the sole reason Borderlands 2 sucked because he was a very sad and pathetic dude, because it was hugely bad and disappointing compared to 2 but the story was really, really bad

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

(Nier Automato spoilers) Just got endings C, D, and E..out of all of them, I think D is my favorite, for obvious reasons, shame that A2 has to be sacrificed for that one though. poor 9S, he never scored and failed to become Revengeance Raiden. Shame that I couldn't understand a lick of whatever the gently caress the point of any of this was, still enjoyable! A2 was the best, she just wanted to murder everything.

If you're interested in seeing a spoilery perspective that might help you make sense of it, I like superbunnyhop's because it's not all fawning and blowjobs. Mobile post, sorry.

https://youtu.be/ehM1m5-TG5g

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Goodbye Super Mario Odyssey, I beat you and had an unbelievable amount of fun but I wont be collecting everyhing because thats a huge time sink only o get stymied by the jump rope moon. Tried that challenege a dozen times and cant figure out how the hell youre supposed to get to 60 much less 100 so that ends me ever playing Odyssey again.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Barudak posted:

Goodbye Super Mario Odyssey, I beat you and had an unbelievable amount of fun but I wont be collecting everyhing because thats a huge time sink only o get stymied by the jump rope moon. Tried that challenege a dozen times and cant figure out how the hell youre supposed to get to 60 much less 100 so that ends me ever playing Odyssey again.

You only need like half the moons in the game to unlock most of the extra content (the "collect ALL moon" rewards are actually really minor), so you can get by without that jump rope moon if you just want to unlock the interesting stuff.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Its really moot anyway, because by the time they meet the best armour was phased out anyway
trash and ingenuity. japanese lamellar was trash even compared to continental lamellar and the armour you use in the prologue is leaps and bounds superior just in its design but combined with the materials?

It's a game about evil demons and necromancers and poo poo, and you're upset they don't have the cutting power of the Oakshott Type XIII arming swords perfectly simulated?

The japanese stuff is enchanted with hell-magic. There, problem solved.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Nov 19, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one thing that is dragging Nioh down is that someone appears to have hosed up and inserted cutscenes from an extremely dull Nobunaga's Ambition game between every level

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

You only need like half the moons in the game to unlock most of the extra content (the "collect ALL moon" rewards are actually really minor), so you can get by without that jump rope moon if you just want to unlock the interesting stuff.

I had, unlocked that stuff before hitting the jump rope issue. Knowing there isnt anything but costumes and the bonus cutscene meant I just wont waste time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

one thing that is dragging Nioh down is that someone appears to have hosed up and inserted cutscenes from an extremely dull Nobunaga's Ambition game between every level

I just mash skip and I have no loving clue what's going on and it owns.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I just mash skip and I have no loving clue what's going on and it owns.

Most of the story is just your guy saying to an enemy character "I don't know who you are and I have no quarrel with you, I'm just here to kill the evil sorcerer guy" and they say "I understand, but I cannot let you pass" and then you fight.

But for content, I'm doing another playthrough now that I have all the DLC and I just got to the first DLC levels, and it feels like the balance is off. Everything kills me in one or two hits, but I also kill them in one or two attacks, maybe three or four for the big things. I just fought a boss who killed me with one attack or one combo the first two attempts, and then on the third attempt I got a couple of good hits in right off the bat that depleted his stamina and I killed him before he got back up. I'm sure he had a bunch of cool, well-designed attacks and whatnot, but I'll never know because every fight with him lasted 15 seconds. It sounds like I've built my character as an extreme glass cannon, but I'm wearing mostly heavy armor and my highest stat is the one that gives you health.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I grabbed Starcraft 2 last weekend since it's free now, and I have to be online in order to be able to play offline...fuuuck that noise. Sometimes my connection acts up and instead of putting in a quick match against the A.I., I spend the next 20 minutes rebooting my router and computer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Picked up River City Ransom Underground while it was on sale. So far it's kickin rad. I just don't like that there isn't a free heal option in hideouts. If i manage to dodge screens worth of enemies with only a single bar of health, I want to be able to heal in my hideout. Instead, I have to hope I can get to a store or sauna during business hours--but that costs money and I'm early in the game so I rarely have enough.

(I'm really hoping someone chimes in and tells me I missed out on a real simple sleep mechanic in the hideouts. Some of the stuff in this game is a bit obtuse).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember when I got around to getting Skyward Sword a few years ago, I had to get a motion plus with it and I was curious about how it would feel - and it felt terrible. The most basic prompts were finicky as gently caress, and flying the birds was uncontrollable. No matter how I moved the remote the bird kept falling to the cloud layer and just scooting it's rear end along it like a dog, and no motions that I made would get it any lift. Was I just not understanding the controls or was it just that bad? I honestly had an easier time controlling the games that didn't use motionplus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember when I got around to getting Skyward Sword a few years ago, I had to get a motion plus with it and I was curious about how it would feel - and it felt terrible. The most basic prompts were finicky as gently caress, and flying the birds was uncontrollable. No matter how I moved the remote the bird kept falling to the cloud layer and just scooting it's rear end along it like a dog, and no motions that I made would get it any lift. Was I just not understanding the controls or was it just that bad? I honestly had an easier time controlling the games that didn't use motionplus.

I found the interesting part about Skyward Sword at the time to be that while the motion controls were terrible, and everyone had issues with them, they were always different issues. The Wii Motion Plus was good enough to detect little movement idiosyncrasies that you didn't think you had, but not good enough to actually compensate for them, so everyone's experience was a slightly different type of terrible.

Like, I had no issues whatsoever with the bird's controls, the bird was fine for me. My problem was that I got overexcited in combat sections, which led to issues where I over-swung when doing horizontal slashes to the point where they counted as diagonals.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BioEnchanted posted:

Nah, it wasn't just you. I somehow managed to muddle my way through to the first Ghiranim fight and could never beat him. Skyward Sword's controls just sucked. It took me a while to figure out how to get the bird to go up because I like to play games sitting down, and the gesture to make the bird rise is to kind of flick the remote up and down using your entire arm (similar to a bird flapping its wing, I guess), which is hard to do while seated.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FeastForCows posted:

I grabbed Starcraft 2 last weekend since it's free now, and I have to be online in order to be able to play offline...fuuuck that noise. Sometimes my connection acts up and instead of putting in a quick match against the A.I., I spend the next 20 minutes rebooting my router and computer.

Just crack the stupid game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Zinkraptor posted:

500 is what you need to get the secret final challenge level iirc. So 500/999.
Has there ever been a video game where a jump rope minigame was actually fun? I think maybe the first mario party is the only one I can think of but that's mainly because as a small child its really tense.
That whole game kind of was, Mario and friends killing and maiming each other so they can be the best. Dark stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scarycave posted:

500 is what you need to get the secret final challenge level iirc. So 500/999.
Has there ever been a video game where a jump rope minigame was actually fun?

I thought the Superstar Saga one was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c210DRmjSQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got past the Belzelk boss in Wild Arms, only for the epsxe emulator to give an opcode error after the princess cut her hair with the wanderer's sword. That was annoying, but at least I literally only have to redo that boss due to saving just before, so next time I'll note the error and try to see what broke - I can only assume it was trying to load an animated cutscene/FMV.

Also escaping the castle was a loving chore.

In case anyone can help fix it - the message comes after the chancellor leaves the building, and reads:
code:
unknown opcode 54000002 at 000000B4
How can I fix that? I'm using an ISO.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Nov 20, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Triarii posted:

Most of the story is just your guy saying to an enemy character "I don't know who you are and I have no quarrel with you, I'm just here to kill the evil sorcerer guy" and they say "I understand, but I cannot let you pass" and then you fight.

But for content, I'm doing another playthrough now that I have all the DLC and I just got to the first DLC levels, and it feels like the balance is off. Everything kills me in one or two hits, but I also kill them in one or two attacks, maybe three or four for the big things. I just fought a boss who killed me with one attack or one combo the first two attempts, and then on the third attempt I got a couple of good hits in right off the bat that depleted his stamina and I killed him before he got back up. I'm sure he had a bunch of cool, well-designed attacks and whatnot, but I'll never know because every fight with him lasted 15 seconds. It sounds like I've built my character as an extreme glass cannon, but I'm wearing mostly heavy armor and my highest stat is the one that gives you health.

That's how I'm feeling now, just got to the Ogress fight on NG. I've pumped body for spear usage, and everything still loving explodes me.

I have about 2200 health, and can chug an elixir for like 1900. But almost every attack does like 1200 damage, so it's loving irrelevant how much I can heal for, because it's virtually impossible for me to heal for the full amount. One hit = one elixir.

They could seriously improve the game by just taking away your healing and like halving the damage everything does.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Nov 20, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just tried to play Brave Fencer Musashi for the first time - that loving robot knight boss is taking the piss as there is no way to save before the fight, so if I want to try again I'll have to go through the entire first dungeon again. No thanks. I think I'm done.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Just tried to play Brave Fencer Musashi for the first time - that loving robot knight boss is taking the piss as there is no way to save before the fight, so if I want to try again I'll have to go through the entire first dungeon again. No thanks. I think I'm done.

I used to love this game and would totally play it again were it available on the PSN but like a quarter of the way in there's some puzzle that requires knowledge of shogi or something to progress, and since I had the game before I had the internet, I was stuck there forever. Dragged It Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I used to love this game and would totally play it again were it available on the PSN but like a quarter of the way in there's some puzzle that requires knowledge of shogi or something to progress, and since I had the game before I had the internet, I was stuck there forever. Dragged It Down.

I think the main problem that I have with the game is the aspects that have aged, like the sword swing is super short range and you need to practically mash your face into the enemy to hit them with it, and I tried to bait the robot's mace attack to avoid getting hit, but that seemed like a total crapshoot whether it would work so every time I screwed it up it was like "Have fun taking 10 damage!" Then in the final phase you have seemingly no control over where he jumps, so often on his first jump you'll have nowhere to go as you start at the bottom of the screen and I may have just been getting greedy, like if I try it again I'll try running up the screen so that I end up behind him even though I can't hurt him there and hope that he jumps back, but the problem is that I'll need to replay the entire game again to get to that part, which is just poor design.