Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Wolfy posted:

Cruisers are pretty meh until you get to the T6 Leander. British cruisers are very strong in capable hands. You can pump out massive amounts of damage that just honestly gets ridiculous at T9-10. At 9, you get 2 quad launchers on each side to go with it. The heal is loving ridiculous and you get smoke. The AP absolutely melts DDs. They do require a different play style than most cruisers because of their low range and nonexistant armor. Still, A++ would recommend.

The battleships: https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianSuaveBaguetteTebowing

god save the queen. i will enjoy my brit boats then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Warspite is still a solid premium, BTW.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Had a game in my Shiratsuyu where I'm nearly killed early on by a carrier I can't do anything about, but persevere. Do some damage.

A cyclone happens. We lose an Amagi because he beaches himself broadside to the enemy and dies, then begins typing furiously in all caps Spanish.

An enemy Bismarck charges into the cap solo. A friendly CL charges in to torp him, charges inside of arming distance, launches a salvo of duds, and gets citadel'd to death. The Bismarck, distracted by this, swerves into some rocks and misses a broadside of 16 torpedoes through sheer dumb loving luck.

Our carrier doesn't relocate and dies.

Sailing away from the Bismarck, toward a cap, I am lit by an AFK Sims. I nearly die to the Bismarck's secondaries at a range of 11 KM before I finally kill the Sims and stealth up. Then we lose on points.

The entire weekend, compressed into a single game. AMAZING

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

So here's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guIH8Emm0wA

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The comments are hilariously salty. Not as salty as Noster though. "People only use the best combinations in PvP" :qq: No poo poo sherlock

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The comments are hilariously salty. Not as salty as Noster though. "People only use the best combinations in PvP" :qq: No poo poo sherlock

I think what he's saying is everyone should have multiple builds and there should be variety in classes so you don't see tryhards always doing the same ships, same captains, no surprises (if you play well).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
There's already variety in the classes because not every ship of the same class does the same thing. There is some situational variety in skills because some of them boil down to preference, but, eh.

You're never going to arrive at a scenario where all builds are equally valid and it isn't possible for a player to make bad choices, as long as you allow players to make choices, and allow for variety.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Notser does realize that calling for increased numbers of 'valid' builds and a counter system to make them all function only empowers the elitists he claims to despise, right? I mean, it's the elite who will know that build X counters A,B,C and runs from Y,Z while doing okay against H,I,J. Noobs will continue to get massacred, no change there. Not to mention that at least right now there's only a couple things to expect from a ship and it's possible to learn about it from just playing the game. Try figuring it out when every time you run into one it does something different! gently caress man.

Deriving who has what captain skills on a ship is already nearly loving impossible (aside from the obvious of manual secondaries and AFT on high tier BBs). If you want to add several things that can invisibly completely change how a ship works that'll just make it worse for everyone. CVs especially have this problem and Notser was bitching about this while bitching about how AA ships make CVs suffer - whoops that ship wasn't supposed to be an AA monster now I've lost all my planes with no warning thanks variety.

Complications fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 19, 2017

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

how are the british lines? i like british boats and i like AP. are both lines regarded as good overall? are there any brit ships that are particular slogs to play through?

Wolfy posted:

Cruisers are pretty meh until you get to the T6 Leander. British cruisers are very strong in capable hands. You can pump out massive amounts of damage that just honestly gets ridiculous at T9-10. At 9, you get 2 quad launchers on each side to go with it. The heal is loving ridiculous and you get smoke. The AP absolutely melts DDs. They do require a different play style than most cruisers because of their low range and nonexistant armor. Still, A++ would recommend.

To add to this, the Tier 5 brit cruiser does have the best torpedoes at tier, with 2 sets of 6km range quad launchers per side. While most people find the Emerald to be pretty difficult and unpleasant to play, you can completely and thoroughly gently caress anything up in it. It's a very polarizing ship, and not many have mild opinions about it.

The Minotaur is incredible, and absolutely worth the grind. You can just clobber anything within about 10km of you, and any DD unfortunate enough to round a corner and find you within range is gonna poo poo it's pants, with possibly the exception of a Khab, and only because they abandon all sense of sanity once they get into it, or has been my experience fighting them thus far.

It should be noted also (again, in my experience) everybody likes shooting at RN cruisers, so expect to become public enemy #1 if you get spotted. If you can deal with that, they're pretty amazing.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
There are 37 people in DUNKN, and we can't get 7 on to play clan wars.

If you're stuck not competing in another clan, there's room for aggressive, competitive players. Put in an application.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sperglord Actual posted:

Warspite is still a solid premium, BTW.

Too bad it's not clad in asbestos.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Rorac posted:

To add to this, the Tier 5 brit cruiser does have the best torpedoes at tier, with 2 sets of 6km range quad launchers per side. While most people find the Emerald to be pretty difficult and unpleasant to play, you can completely and thoroughly gently caress anything up in it. It's a very polarizing ship, and not many have mild opinions about it.

The Minotaur is incredible, and absolutely worth the grind. You can just clobber anything within about 10km of you, and any DD unfortunate enough to round a corner and find you within range is gonna poo poo it's pants, with possibly the exception of a Khab, and only because they abandon all sense of sanity once they get into it, or has been my experience fighting them thus far.

It should be noted also (again, in my experience) everybody likes shooting at RN cruisers, so expect to become public enemy #1 if you get spotted. If you can deal with that, they're pretty amazing.

I hate the Emerald and I was excited to level up British cruisers but every game I play with the Emerald the games are full of BBs I can barely even damage cause of the always AP. It just feels like a slog trying to level it up. I enjoy American and German cruisers a lot tho. I also don't feel like I do a lot of damage to cruisers with British AP but everyone says it does so maybe I'm doing something wrong

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Emerald is a loving slog and that's all there is to it. Try to get creative with island camping and try to stay alive as long as possible, even if you have to give up some shots and get called a coward. In two tiers you'll be playing an entirely different game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

The Emerald is a loving slog and that's all there is to it. Try to get creative with island camping and try to stay alive as long as possible, even if you have to give up some shots and get called a coward. In two tiers you'll be playing an entirely different game.

Yeah it has great torps but pretty poo poo guns, best to use your concealment to set up ambushes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Started playing this yesterday, working my way down the American Cruiser/Battleship line right now. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing in any given match but I sometimes kill things so hooray?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

explosivo posted:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing in any given match

You want to make the circles on the map turn green, not red.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

explosivo posted:

Started playing this yesterday, working my way down the American Cruiser/Battleship line right now. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing in any given match but I sometimes kill things so hooray?

Hop on YouTube and look up Flamu's Lower Tier Guides.

Otherwise just have fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sperglord Actual posted:

You want to make the circles on the map turn green, not red.

*furiously taking notes*

Edit: ^^^ Thank you, this is just what I was looking for.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

The Benson has taught me that I'm terrible at shooting torpedoes and I really need to fix that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There's already variety in the classes because not every ship of the same class does the same thing. There is some situational variety in skills because some of them boil down to preference, but, eh.

You're never going to arrive at a scenario where all builds are equally valid and it isn't possible for a player to make bad choices, as long as you allow players to make choices, and allow for variety.

You can't make all builds equally valid, but the way the skills work now there's hardly ever even a choice. There are 80 points of skills for a captain who can take up to 19, but it all drops off pretty quickly when you remove the obvious bad choices and it's rare that the skills you pick for the 19th point are skills with a very noticeable impact.

It's worst for carriers with maybe 25 points worth of skills that might ever be worth taking, but other ships aren't a lot better off.

I don't even mean two completely different commander setups - how often is there a legitimate choice between two skills that have a noticeable effect on how you use your ship, where you don't have enough points to take both?

(obviously the downside is that if skills are better then playing against poopsockers as a new player is worse, but it already takes a while to get the 10th point and playing tier 6 with a sub 10 point captain is annoying)

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I only have one 19 point captain in my Gearing but I had to make some pretty drastic choices. I went with Radio Location instead of IFHE, and Demo Expert instead of Survivability Expert on Flamu's advice, though I may switch back at some point. Right now it sets the ship up to be a supreme DD hunter but I really enjoy ripping up battleships from near max range. They're very different play styles.

Granted, a lot of ships at Tier X can slaughter a DD from 11-12km, but it's the way I always played US DDs and the transition is not easy for me.

Concealment Expert forever though.

edit: VVV and the Kiev and Leningrad are two of my most-loved ships but gently caress me if I'm going to grind the Trashcan.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 20, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Raining fire on BBs is a Russian DD thing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Sorry I can't really be on tonight. Who knew dogs would be hard work?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Sorry I can't really be on tonight. Who knew dogs would be hard work?

I'll probably be a tiny bit late as well.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

god save the queen. i will enjoy my brit boats then.

Just keep in mind that if you are planning to playing competitively, Minotaur is not a boat anyone wants.

If you aren't, it's a great boat in randoms. :dance:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Haha, what the gently caress? Is there anyone who has a clue about this game and doesn't take a few AA skills for his boat?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Heartcatch posted:

Just keep in mind that if you are planning to playing competitively, Minotaur is not a boat anyone wants.

If you aren't, it's a great boat in randoms. :dance:

i'm so far away from even considering competitive play in any capacity, haha. i just picked a line of each type that i liked and i figured i'd play those.

did you change your user name at some point? i recognize your avatar.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just started playing tonight. Destroyers are fun as hell, i assassinated 2 battleships in one round.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
clearly the key to us winning clan battles is me playing my shimakaze

just kill me

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, how do I deal with agile-as-hell Destroyers as a battleship? I went up against one a few rounds ago that was just running circles around us and took out half the team with torpedoes. I got a couple lucky hits in, but I have a feeling this guy was just really good because he stayed far enough away that my cannons could barely turn fast enough to keep up all while peppering us with torpedoes. I guess that's probably the job of other Destroyers and Cruisers to deal with?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Man, how do I deal with agile-as-hell Destroyers as a battleship? I went up against one a few rounds ago that was just running circles around us and took out half the team with torpedoes. I got a couple lucky hits in, but I have a feeling this guy was just really good because he stayed far enough away that my cannons could barely turn fast enough to keep up all while peppering us with torpedoes. I guess that's probably the job of other Destroyers and Cruisers to deal with?

Yes. If you're really good you might be able to hit him, but it requires being able to predict his moves in advance and some luck.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

explosivo posted:

Especially at lower tiers, battleships tend to have really inaccurate guns too, so it can be rough to hit destroyers. Once they get to like 7km or less though it usually gets much easier as your shell trajectory flattens out and they have like no time to dodge. Fortunately a lot of bad players will get the yips if you hit them a few times, and your average clueless teammate is like 10x more likely to shoot at a badly hurt destroyer because they crave those sweet sweet kill ribbons.

It sucks but usually the best thing to keep yourself alive is to simply turn and drive directly away from a destroyer. Or barring that, straight at them. Gives them worse angles to torp you with. A key part of this game is developing a sixth sense for when a destroyer may have fired torps at you. The minimap has a circle of dashes for your detection range. If you don't see any reds in that circle but you are still spotted, that means a destroyer or maybe a sneaky cruiser (which usually also have torps) is nearby.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This is going to sound dumb but how do I log out. I haven't played in forever but the steam release made me want to try again and when I started up the game again after install I just made some throwaway account since it didn't prompt me to enter my account info. But now I cant find where or how to sign in as a different user in the game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

i'm so far away from even considering competitive play in any capacity, haha. i just picked a line of each type that i liked and i figured i'd play those.

did you change your user name at some point? i recognize your avatar.

It's always mutable. We played UWO together some years back.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

We learned a lot tonight.

Lesson #1: Kiting isn't the same as stopping behind rocks

Lesson #2: Don't drink and clanbattle

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Axetrain posted:

This is going to sound dumb but how do I log out. I haven't played in forever but the steam release made me want to try again and when I started up the game again after install I just made some throwaway account since it didn't prompt me to enter my account info. But now I cant find where or how to sign in as a different user in the game.

I'm not sure how it works for Steam. For myself I just launch the game client from the Warships launcher and it takes me to a screen where I have to put in my e-mail and password.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Axetrain posted:

go into your WOWS install folder:
SteamApps\common\World of Warships

rename steam_api.dll to anything.

now you can use your not-steam account on steam.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Make sure you leave a review detailing your disappointment that ships from sovereign nations like South Korea, Thailand, and Taiwan have to share a tree with ships from China

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

MrKatharsis posted:

:shrug:

I dunno, I thought it was a pretty alright ship. I didn't have any problems fighting other cruisers or DDs. Yeah, trying to go toe to toe with battleships is suicide, but that's why you don't do stupid poo poo like that.

Not to say it was easy, I had to put some effort in to make it work. The Emerald demands more out of the player than most ships, but I also think it offers you all the tools necessary to do well. Either that or maybe I'm just naturally inclined to RN cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

edit: VVV and the Kiev and Leningrad are two of my most-loved ships but gently caress me if I'm going to grind the Trashcan.

It's really not a trashcan anymore. It has a heal along with better range and torps than the Khaba.