Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like visual novels so i largely enjoyed persona 5 cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Artix posted:

Everything good about P5's dungeons was blatantly stolen from Tokyo Mirage Sessions. :colbert:

I’ve been wanting to play that, is it worth it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pablo Gigante posted:

I’ve been wanting to play that, is it worth it

Absolutely.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

Absolutely.

Cool, it seems to be down to $25 most places and I still have my Wii U

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's basically a jrpg with no romance date endgame social links and is about the entertainment business.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only reason it's not talked about is because it didn't match what people imagined with a quick stock art trailer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It failed to attract significant portions of both fanbases, yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Both audiences were married to the 3ds while the WiiU was a failure of a console population-wise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It was an okay atlus jrpg and the only turnbased one on a system that failed harder than the dreamcast while the 3DS and Sony stuff existed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I am certain it would have done better had they simply released it as a quirky idol-themed jRPG instead of trying to hype people up with an SMTxFE collab first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TMS is solid and fun. It has problems (slow-rear end combat being a big one) but is basically a solid B-score JRPG.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I am certain it would have done better had they simply released it as a quirky idol-themed jRPG instead of trying to hype people up with an SMTxFE collab first.

That's basically what they did. I really doubt a super-nothing teaser shown long prior to its proper announcement was a big impact on sales vs say, being on the WiiU.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Go into Nocturne with the Dark Souls mindset: you're gonna die a lot, but treat each death as a learning experience. Like, when you go fight a boss for the first time, do it to learn how to boss works to destroy it the second time around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motto posted:

That's basically what they did. I really doubt a super-nothing teaser shown long prior to its proper announcement was a big impact on sales vs say, being on the WiiU.

it still did bad even for a wii u game because people were expecting it to be something else

kinda reminds me of wind waker

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've had a copy of TMS forever now and just not had a chance to play it. At this point I might just wait for cemu to support it (or a Switch port I guess) because gently caress hooking up the Wii U.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the problem was they announced it too early. The initial SMTxFE trailer was obviously made shortly after the deal was made and they had no idea what the game would actually be.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Re-incarnation, Re-a-lization

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I dislike both Megaten and Fire Emblem, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is my favourite game ever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Go into Nocturne with the Dark Souls mindset: you're gonna die a lot, but treat each death as a learning experience. Like, when you go fight a boss for the first time, do it to learn how to boss works to destroy it the second time around.

I don't remember who said it, but I remember someone said that Nocturne was the Demon's Souls of Persona, whatever that means.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"Muh crossover." :qq:
That was pretty much the MegaTen and the Emblemers fandoms for a couple of months, despite the game being fairly cool.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't remember who said it, but I remember someone said that Nocturne was the Demon's Souls of Persona, whatever that means.

it was smt4 and it was some dipshit games journalist

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A lot of SMT friends are also Fire Emblem friends and I feel like Fire Emblem Fans can really.....hmmm,...get in a certain Mood about how they feel about their video games, so yeah I saw a lot of scorn that SMT x FE wasn't whatever game they imagined when they showed SMT and Fire Emblem characters flying in a void together, but to be fair, they really shouldn't've put that out probably.

TMS looks cool tho, the group texts always looked fun and cute I'm glad Persona 5 took that, I'd say I'd play it one day but I've never played a Fire Emblem game I liked so hmm

Mraagvpeine posted:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TMS is like 70% persona with 30% of it being heavy references based on the mythology of the Tiki games.

The fire emblem fanbase is also in that phase of "it's popular now? gently caress YOU PEOPLE, I WAS HERE FIRST" like Naruto.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When your brand is actively promoting three games in a 14 game franchise I like to think the fan base is allowed to be upset.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The real question here is am I talking about fire emblem or smt

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

A lot of SMT friends are also Fire Emblem friends and I feel like Fire Emblem Fans can really.....hmmm,...get in a certain Mood about how they feel about their video games, so yeah I saw a lot of scorn that SMT x FE wasn't whatever game they imagined when they showed SMT and Fire Emblem characters flying in a void together, but to be fair, they really shouldn't've put that out probably.

TMS looks cool tho, the group texts always looked fun and cute I'm glad Persona 5 took that, I'd say I'd play it one day but I've never played a Fire Emblem game I liked so hmm

haha none of these understand gently caress all

Disappointed that it went back to Law vs Chaos after Nocturne wasn't about that? Nocturne was all about that. All 3 of the Reason endings are Law endings. They're about following the established rules behind the cycle of worlds being destroyed and born anew. The only difference is you might change what the laws of the new world are a little. Remember, it was the angels who wanted the might makes right world that Chiaki had in mind because they felt they'd be the mightiest and therefore the rightiest. And if Chiaki's reason can fit under Law then so can the others.

oh poo poo hang on

:goonsay:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

The real question here is am I talking about fire emblem or smt

games other than FE:W and persona 4 spinoffs exist so neither?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

games other than FE:W and persona 4 spinoffs exist so neither?

TMS only uses Shadow Dragon and Awakening and I meant P3, P4, and P5 for the jab at Persona side at that, not even so much the spinoffs thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Atlus is still making more mainline SMT actively at least

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am looking forward to V

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Slime posted:

Disappointed that it went back to Law vs Chaos after Nocturne wasn't about that? Nocturne was all about that. All 3 of the Reason endings are Law endings. They're about following the established rules behind the cycle of worlds being destroyed and born anew. The only difference is you might change what the laws of the new world are a little. Remember, it was the angels who wanted the might makes right world that Chiaki had in mind because they felt they'd be the mightiest and therefore the rightiest. And if Chiaki's reason can fit under Law then so can the others.

oh poo poo hang on

And that's all a lot more interesting than just doing SMT1's endings yet again. A couple of the quotes on that image are dumb but a majority of them are absolutely right.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

When your brand is actively promoting three games in a 14 game franchise I like to think the fan base is allowed to be upset.

I think IntSys at least is starting to get the message that people like the other games too.

Wark Say posted:

That was pretty much the MegaTen and the Emblemers fandoms for a couple of months, despite the game being fairly cool.

The game would've been legitimately better off on it's own merit instead of trying to piggyback off of other franchises it barely has anything in common with.

It backfired and I think there's a valuable lesson about how trying to link a game to a base to try to increase your audience can work against the developer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

TMS only uses Shadow Dragon and Awakening and I meant P3, P4, and P5 for the jab at Persona side at that, not even so much the spinoffs thing.

I was also being reductive but the other bad FE spinoff exists to promote characters from all over, and they're probably gonna keep remaking them. Meanwhile non-Persona megaten has never really stopped, just been on handhelds for a bit like most JRPGs last gen.

Though I think we're just using differently severe levels of "upset" since I used to be on sites where there were daily, incredibly bitter meltdown threads about 3DS FE and Persona for years, and I don't think anything could justify that.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 20, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I was also being reductive but the other bad FE spinoff exists to promote characters from all over, and they're probably gonna keep remaking them. Meanwhile non-Persona megaten has never really stopped, just been on handhelds for a bit like most JRPGs last gen.

Though I think we're just using differently severe levels of "upset" since I used to be on sites where there were daily, incredibly bitter meltdown threads about 3DS FE and Persona for years.

Tbf that other bad FE spinoff only had SD, Awakening, and Fates characters at the start with very little to show for the other games. It's only as it's progressed that that's changed and it kinda has to since it's a gacha game. But yeah, I know what you're saying and I used to see poo poo like that and it was always dumb. Like I'm upset that Persona and FE have been focused on a few games, but it's mostly the upset that ends with an annoyed sigh rather than dumb meltdowns people would have on Gamefaqs or 4chan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

fair.

I just want Fire Emblem fans to be at peace. It's okay, there's never been a better time to be playing video games

Slime posted:

oh poo poo hang on

you're not wrong, but also that's not what the quote said. Nocturne had cool, varied ideas about what the nature of reality should be and humans should live, down to we should just destroy the cycle of life because any other way is letting the divine win. It's totally fair to enjoy that more than Hear And Obey The Word Of The Lord vs Chaos Reigns

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Demifiend would gently caress Chrom up

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

SMT musou when

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

The Demifiend would gently caress Chrom up
It's a well-established fact that:

Wark Say posted:

Yes, the Demi-Fiend kicks the rear end of your favorite character. Yes: That includes Goku.

Something about Lord Beelzebub doing the "V" just cracks me up. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WrightOfWay posted:

And that's all a lot more interesting than just doing SMT1's endings yet again. A couple of the quotes on that image are dumb but a majority of them are absolutely right.

They're all dumb as hell