Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

Jesus christ, an Agenda 21 conspiracy theorist that isn't on alzheimers drugs. Thats a new one.

Please tell me the millenial alt-right wingnuts havent adopted this insane piece of ancient whack.

Can we at least decide if HAARP or FEMA are in control of the deathray sattelites before introducing even newer lizard factions

you got your conspiracies all mixed up bro. HAARP does all the weaponized weather stuff. The deathray sattelites came from reagan's star wars program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

you got your conspiracies all mixed up bro. HAARP does all the weaponized weather stuff. The deathray sattelites came from reagan's star wars program

yes that's exactly what they want you to think

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I want to respect Peterson* because he is a tenured professor and should probably be able to be held in reasonably high esteem, but as you say hes a bit of a fuckwit rear end in a top hat so its very hard to do so.

*(I suppose respect his opinion would be more accurate)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Government-paid agitator spotted

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Great Metal Jesus posted:

From my experiences conspiracy theorist who aren't outright nuts tend to just be very loving uneducated. I know that this has been tossed around elsewhere and possibly here in this thread earlier, but conspiracy theories are a shortcut to knowledge without having to do any of the actual ardorous work of learning something. Not only that, but they have built in armor of actively defying the idea of experts. Anyone can be an expert! YOU can be an expert! You don't need to dedicate your life to learning anything, just watch these YouTubes!

This is from a while back but it's worth noting. Everyone I knew who was really into the fluoride or anti vaxx poo poo could not grasp some very basic chemistry. It basically boiled down to them failing to understand the following.

1. Something can be toxic when inhaled, but safe to ingest.

2. Something can be toxic at high concentrations but safe at low concentrations.

3. An element can be hazardous to your health when bonded with one element, but not when it's bonded to another.

4. A chemical can change properties when mixed with other chemicals.

5. The existence of isomers.

All of their arguments boiled down to "x used to make y poison and it's also in z"

And I've never met an anti-gmo type who has actually taken a genetics class.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 20, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RobotDogPolice posted:

3. An element can be hazardous to your health when bonded with one element, but not when it's bonded to another.

Pfft yeah maybe if you just believe everything they tell you in government brainwashing centers, or schools to you sleepwalking normies.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I guess YouTube shutting down channels isn't a big deal if said channels can just pop back up with a 2 in the title.

And demonetization ain't no biggie if you have a fuckin' Patreon for the channel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I... can you believe in rocketry but not a spherical earth?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Synthbuttrange posted:

I can't wait for the kooks to blame Illuminati space lasers or w/e when this idiot blows himself up.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Looking at the size of that rocket, there’s no way he’s gonna get enough altitude to really see the curvature of the earth.

Assuming he doesn’t blow himself up (and that’s a big assumption) I bet he comes back and says “I was right, the earth is flat!”

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Synthbuttrange posted:

he is definitely getting a bunch of flat earthers to fund his DIY rocketry hobby

he could charter a light airplane to go way higher than that rocket will go, for way cheaper

my man just wants to die in a homemade rocket and is raising funds via the best mechanisms available to him

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If flat earthers were giving me free money for my hobby, I'd claim it was producing evidence of a flat earth too.

boner confessor posted:

he could charter a light airplane to go way higher than that rocket will go, for way cheaper

Every single licensed pilot is in on the coverup though so of course funding my hobby is the only way to prove they're lying.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So numb-nuts thinks his steam powered rocket will get him to the amazing altitude of 1800 feet. No, no missing zeroes, and God's own feet, not Satan's meters.

Does he not realize he can go higher in a plane? By a lot? Even in a hot air balloon?

Why the gently caress has this idiocy gotten so much traction of late?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i mean alex jones cultivates conspiracy nuts to sell them brain pills and MREs and nobody thinks that's weird, that's just merchandising snake oil

but one dude obsessed with blowing himself up in midair doing the same thing and suddenly it's all ugh where does this guy get off

really speaks to the legitimacy that a polished fake news organization lends

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

So numb-nuts thinks his steam powered rocket will get him to the amazing altitude of 1800 feet. No, no missing zeroes, and God's own feet, not Satan's meters.

Does he not realize he can go higher in a plane? By a lot? Even in a hot air balloon?

Why the gently caress has this idiocy gotten so much traction of late?

You can get way higher than that even on foot; plenty of easy-mode mountains exceed 10,000 feet. Hell people bike up Haleakela from sea level for fun and that's only 10,000 feet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So out of curiosity, how have the alt right reacted to the fact that nothing happened on Nov 4th?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Synthbuttrange posted:

I see now why the Simpsons sucks nowadays, all the writers left to write for reality

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

So out of curiosity, how have the alt right reacted to the fact that nothing happened on Nov 4th?

They don't because Nov 4th was a rousing success; all of the white people are dead and everyone is gay

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Synthbuttrange posted:

You can, but your calculations are going to get increasingly hosed up as you go. I mean, this dude is only aiming for 2000ft, and the difference isn't meaningful when you explode at 200ft, so its ok. But if you had a legitimate program that somehow avoided reality, it would be a complete mess.

Like flat earthers believe that 'gravity' is actually because the flat earth is under a constant upward acceleration of 9.81m/s2, so if you were aiming for the equivalent of a geosynchronous orbit you would get over the site and then try to achieve a matching acceleration directly away from the earth ('up'), which would end up with you beetling off into space because what you actually want is an orbit at a particular altitude matching the earth's rotational speed.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure that flat earthers would believe that a geosynchronous position is possible, because the need for constant acceleration means that you would also need a constant thrust, which would consume tons of fuel. I guess they would consider the concept to be a lie and that we achieve those aims differently.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah I'm not going to expend any more effort breaking my brain trying to figure out what "orbiting" a flat earth even means.

Wouldn't you just run into the turtles anyway?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Synthbuttrange posted:

Coulndt he just like.. rent a plane (and hire a pilot) and go take a picture of earth's borders? I would be definite proof that earth is indeed a flat disc and seems a lot easier and less risky imo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Pilot's in on the conspiracy.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm sure the argument would be "they changed the plan because we caught on!!!"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Great, now I have spent half the morning trying to follow flat earth arguments and I have a headache.

As far as I can tell FE advocates present a map that is similar to the one in the UN logo as it adheres to the general concept they want, but if you try to actually engage them on how this works and the distortion of distances they quickly fall back 'well no one really knows the earth's true topography due to meddling by the global conspiracy'. They basically rely on claiming that you can't trust air travel times/distances because they can be manipulated, and apparently don't even engage with the fact that many people successfully use 'round earth' measurements of distance and speed to navigate areas that they claim have vastly different sizes and shapes (ie, crossing the pacific)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How do they explain the fact that the southern hemisphere has seasons opposite the northern hemisphere?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

How do they explain the fact that the southern hemisphere has seasons opposite the northern hemisphere?

Precession of the sun orbiting the earth, obviously :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mad Hamish posted:

God made it that way

edit: I found an answer to my question:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Coulndt he just like.. rent a plane (and hire a pilot) and go take a picture of earth's borders? I would be definite proof that earth is indeed a flat disc and seems a lot easier and less risky imo

Apparently the satanic world powers (which is all of them) are in cahoots to prevent us from knowing the truth, so they set a huge rear end secret army (fleet and airforce) ready to block people from arriving at the world borders

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 22, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Serious question, how do flat earthers explain great circle navigation? Does NASA just pay off everybody who takes a basic celestial navigation class? Wouldn't that be logistically impossible?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Not very well. They try to explain the different in day/night cycles and the seasons by explaining the sun as a small orb that performs an elaborate spiraling circuit over the disc of the earth, but it doesn't look like this actually explains a bunch of things (for example, the orbit tries to explain why the north pole sees very long days, but doesn't appear to cover this situation for the south pole. I guess because the south pole is faked and people in Antartica are frauds?

No effort seems to be made to explain why the sun ball would have a bizarre and erratic path, there's no physical explanation of it, it's just 'this is how we see things, so this is a thing that sort of covers that, DONE'.

I wonder if flat earthers realize that people predicted the location of unknown planets by applying the 'round earth' theories of gravity and orbital mathematics in the 1800s. I guess that they just think that was all internationally fabricated? :shrug:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Congrats to everyone in this thread who noticed the one contradiction to observable reality flat earthers just haven't considered yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my read on flat earth is that it was sustained for a while by low key pranksters and joking skeptics who were trying to keep alive one of the stupidest conspiracy theories outside of hollow earth, and there's enough sincere cranks to attach themselves to the movement. that plus internet/social media inflates a few thousand true believers into what seems like an epidemic of stupidity

believing in flat earth as a joke is exactly the kind of thing that discordians and members of the church of the subgenius would do as 1980's culture jamming

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Well, the Nazis thought the Earth was hollow and that everything in outer space was made out of ice. Anything that contradicted this, like observable facts, the theory of relativity, was considered "Jewish science" and the people saying it had their money and possessions seized and they were imprisoned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Not very well. They try to explain the different in day/night cycles and the seasons by explaining the sun as a small orb that performs an elaborate spiraling circuit over the disc of the earth,

I WAS loving JOKING...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ashcans posted:

for example, the orbit tries to explain why the north pole sees very long days, but doesn't appear to cover this situation for the south pole. I guess because the south pole is faked and people in Antartica are frauds?
I would have expected the other way around if anything - there are people living in Antarctica full time but the North Pole is deserted (except for Santa who ain't talking)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would have expected the other way around if anything - there are people living in Antarctica full time but the North Pole is deserted (except for Santa who ain't talking)

and who are these people that claim to live in antarctica?

scientists

wake up sheeple etc

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

boner confessor posted:

my read on flat earth is that it was sustained for a while by low key pranksters and joking skeptics who were trying to keep alive one of the stupidest conspiracy theories outside of hollow earth, and there's enough sincere cranks to attach themselves to the movement. that plus internet/social media inflates a few thousand true believers into what seems like an epidemic of stupidity

believing in flat earth as a joke is exactly the kind of thing that discordians and members of the church of the subgenius would do as 1980's culture jamming

Today there is a lot of ultra-catholic wakos (the kind who proclaim that the last 6 popes were antipopes) who embraced flat earth theory and believe that the absurd idea that the earth is a globe is part a worldwide satanist conspiracy to make people atheists

I knew a guy like that in twitter. He also believes Tesla invented this free energy machine that was hidden by the same conspiracy. And that nuclear weapons are fake and North Korea is a gigantic movie set. All to discredit catholicism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elias_Maluco posted:

God made it that way

edit: I found an answer to my question:

Apparently the satanic world powers (which is all of them) are in cahoots to prevent us from knowing the truth, so they set a huge rear end secret army (fleet and airforce) ready to block people from arriving at the world borders

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the sky keep going after the sea stops?

There's clouds over there so presumably it rains, so why doesn't the earth dry up?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also, how do flat earthers explain the earth is actually round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also, how do flat earthers explain the earth is actually round?

:eyepop:Holy poo poo!!!:eyepop:

• Locked thread