Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Is it a real thing that women lawyers in the UK wear those powdered wigs as illustrated in the latest Scary Go Round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well imagine If they wouldn't; they'd look out of place and unprofessional next to their make colleagues.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Naw they have similar getups in Canada and other Commonwealth could tries. For women they make them dye, grow and style their hair like that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, that was a surprisingly rapid development.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Naw they have similar getups in Canada and other Commonwealth could tries. For women they make them dye, grow and style their hair like that.

Actually the wig isn't a part of the Canadian legal system (at least not any more). The formal dress is reserved for superior courts, while lower courts just use casual business attire like American courts do. Generally the only time most lawyers in Canada put on a robe like the one Shelly's wearing is at their Bar Call when they first become a lawyer.

But yes, in the UK they make female lawyers wear the stupid wig alongside their male counterparts:

Law is weird man.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Galvanik posted:

I liked it more when it seemed like it was just leading to Tim being plain old crazy and closing the book on the bizarre adventures of Shelly.

Giant Days is so much more enjoyable for me these days I was really hoping Allison would switch to a more grounded series for the webcomics.

Speaking of Giant Days, is it ending soon? It seems to be setting up Esther, Susan and Daisy going their separate ways.

And maybe it's just me, but I find Allison's handling of Ingrid really weird. She's introduced as a free-spirited and wacky foreigner who becomes Daisy's love interest, which is pretty harmless. But Esther and Susan constantly talk poo poo about Ingrid behind her back, and it's all treated as a joke until Esther explodes on Daisy that they hate Ingrid's guts. So instead of Esther and Susan trying to work things out with Ingrid, Allison wrote it so that Ingrid's showing signs of being a terrible girlfriend instead, where Ingrid's been pressuring Daisy to move in with her and choose between her and her friends.

It's just weird because it feels like Allison twisted Ingrid to retroactively justify Esther and Susan being terrible jerks.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I just interpreted that as Daisy being kind of blind to the faults of her first girlfriend. Ingrid was introduced as holding up a busload of people for half an hour to argue with the driver about how her foreign money should be acceptable to pay with. She's always been portrayed as pretty selfish and inconsiderate, Esther and Susan just have less reason to not notice and dislike her over it.

It was kind of a selling point for me honestly. Like, Ingrid would fit right in for Scary Go Round, being quirky and weird and freespirited and incredibly destructive on occasion. She kind of reminds me of a young Amy before she grew up. Since it's more real less fanciful, Giant Days shows most of the cast not really wanting to be around someone so disruptive. And yet, Daisy is so into her that Esther and Susan tried to ignore her faults until Ingrid almost got them thrown into debtor's prison, or whatever happens in Britain.

I don't think the series is ending though, at least I hope not. Just because the main cast doesn't live in the same house anymore doesn't mean they're not still going to be around each other when hanging out. The comment Esther made about how "This could be our last year together" is way more worrying to me. (Apparently undergraduate degrees in the UK are only 3 years? So it's both cheaper and faster than school in the US :911:)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Not gonna lie, the one time I would like to see peak Shelly Winters would be in a courtroom drama. Or maybe a full Law and Order procedural.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm a little bothered by the latest page of Wilde Life. The Witch is saying something pretty insightful and generally applicable, but does it really apply to this specific situation? Are witches so common that we can assume anyone with a supernatural problem has run into a friendly one?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I'm a little bothered by the latest page of Wilde Life. The Witch is saying something pretty insightful and generally applicable, but does it really apply to this specific situation? Are witches so common that we can assume anyone with a supernatural problem has run into a friendly one?

Supernatural folk do seem to bunch together. It's probably reasonable to assume that, in Podunk, if she hadn't come to ask her help it's because she'd already tried that elsewhere, especially with how itinerant Lorelei's life seems to make her.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I should go through the SGR archives and figure out what happened on the big dates.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

30th August 2002 - Tim entered a science fair with a glow-in-the-dark duck, setting in motion a chain of events that would see his rival murdered, himself framed for the murder and Shelley also murdered when she tried to investigate.
27th March 2003 - Fallon recruited Tim for a spy mission in Romania, where he helped to foil the plans of a mad scientist with a skull for a head who liked dressing monkeys in human clothes.
21st September 2004 - Tim refused to let Amy use the Teapot that Turns Back Time, so she got Shelley drunk and the two of them stole it anyway, then hung around in 1840 for a bit where they were ensnared by Bob Crowley. Tim undid it by using another teapot that turns back time to prevent them from stealing the first one.
11th April 2005 - Tim began his campaign to become Mayor, which went pretty well.
24th May 2006 - Tim was challenged by the Brotherhood of Inventors for using his inventions for political gain, lost thanks partly to Riley, and was forced into exile in Wales.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait...so Tackleford's been running on 1:1 time all along? That raises so many questions!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait...so Tackleford's been running on 1:1 time all along? That raises so many questions!
I don't think that's exactly right. Within any given story, it's not 1:1 time. But every so often when there's a big time skip, it's caught up to IRL present day.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like to think that John Allison has an absolutely enormous wall chart with mugshots of hundreds of his characters on it, all connected up with arrows and flowcharts and times and dates and he consults it as he sketches.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Supernatural folk do seem to bunch together. It's probably reasonable to assume that, in Podunk, if she hadn't come to ask her help it's because she'd already tried that elsewhere, especially with how itinerant Lorelei's life seems to make her.

Is that true? I can't remember if Cliff and the witch knew each other before they met via Oscar. Either way, we've seen two witches total and one was a real piece of poo poo. The siren girl seemed really surprised that Oscar believed her. Maybe she's seen a witch or power doctor about it, but then again, it doesn't seem unreasonable that she hasn't. It would at least be worth asking her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

Is that true? I can't remember if Cliff and the witch knew each other before they met via Oscar. Either way, we've seen two witches total and one was a real piece of poo poo. The siren girl seemed really surprised that Oscar believed her. Maybe she's seen a witch or power doctor about it, but then again, it doesn't seem unreasonable that she hasn't. It would at least be worth asking her.

IIRC there was a brief hint that the White Face Bear has been keeping Cliff hidden from Eliza and others. She didn't need Oscar's introduction, though; she latched onto him the minute she saw him at the farmer's market.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Today in Woah Poppy

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Stand Still, Stay Silent has put up its second Kickstarter, this time for book 2. It's already well over its goal, so they're going to be reprinting book 1 as well.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poppy better win. The main character getting defeated by a friend who betrayed her out of sheer moral cowardice is not particularly compelling.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Same ploy twice? I don't remember the first time.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cat Mattress posted:

Same ploy twice? I don't remember the first time.

Poppy isn't necessarily very good at coming up with new moves.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fuckin christ zen pencils

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Calaveron posted:

What happened this time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*looks at the current tide of sexual predators being outed*

"I could make a(nother) comic about this!"

"Uuuuuh, is your comic advocating murder? Oh and completely misunderstanding the poem you're quoting again, but that's par for the course"

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 21, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Synthbuttrange posted:

*looks at the current tide of sexual predators being outed*

"I could make a(nother) comic about this!"

"Uuuuuh, is your comic advocating murder? Oh and completely misunderstanding the poem you're quoting again, but that's par for the course"

Post the bad comic

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIVnOZZog8

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'kay

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused about why

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Burkion posted:

I'm confused about why

I think this is just what the zen pencils guy gets off on. He also had a comic about a kid murdering his bullies with a hammer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Burkion posted:

I'm confused about why

Somehow it'll turn into a way for the artist to talk about how great it is to give up on a career to pursue your dreams

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What even the gently caress

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

What even the gently caress

quote:

At first I was surprised at this comic and the act of the main character, but when I look closely, in my opinion, does this comic depict a revenge against sexual abuse ?
Look at the 3 pictures (third row from the top), the teacher’s smile seems “weird”, and the “snake” tattoo on his arm when he reach the girl’s cheek. The background becomes dark.
The picture (seventh row from top) shows the girl is crying
Then the middle picture (eighth row from top) shows this man holding the girl shoulder.
All of these make me think of a sexual abuse that guy did to the girl, then she got revenge.
But maybe it’s just my opinion 🙂

quote:

I did not not got the story .
can someone please explain to to me

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20171121
Linton's right. People who don't use their monitor's maximum available resolution are definitely insane.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
How do you get to the point were your inspirational quotes comic repeatedly advicates murder? Surely theres a better message about dealing with being the victim of child abuse than "keep it secret, murder your abuser in 20 years".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Look, Kill Bill taught us that murderous revenge is the best and coolest thing you can do

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The point of the comic isn't "murder rocks", it's "tell someone, or it'll escalate to murder".

I mean it's dumb but it's a different kind of dumb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

How do you get to the point were your inspirational quotes comic repeatedly advicates murder? Surely theres a better message about dealing with being the victim of child abuse than "keep it secret, murder your abuser in 20 years".

his whole thing is taking quotes from some Barnes and Noble Book Of Memorable Quotes and adding imagery he thinks is "cool" around them, which tends to be about as profoundly thought out as you'd expect from a guy who does that for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Honestly I find that Zen Pencils gets an unfairly bad rap a bunch of the time because most of the stupidity is inherited from the source material - it's not the comic, necessarily, it's our collective obsession with Smart Things Wot A Smart Guy Said, and the comic usually just inadvertently exposes the absurdity of that stuff.

OTOH, this comic is definitely one of the worse ones, because it's transferring the 'don't self-repress' message of the original to something very close to victim-blaming.

EDIT: Like seriously, what, "if you did things differently you might end up friends, like with that bully kid, instead of murdering the pedophile"? Is *that* what you think child abuse victims should hear?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 21, 2017