Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Yeah the observers for the PUBG Asia event definitely seem more on point with the camera work.

Feels like the Asian observers are switching to interesting action and letting the observers go to work on it, whereas the IEM Oakland casters are constantly yelling at the observers to switch to where the action is.

I dunno how much of it is down to playstyles, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The Asian server is known for bathroom camping so its not a play style thing

Never forget nevermore

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

this got nuts in a hurry since almost every group was camping on the outskirts until three or four circles in

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Constellation I posted:

I was watching some of the Asian events and they were actually pretty smooth. They had picture-in-picture for map and observer mode stuff and poo poo was always action-packed. The observer mode definitely still needs a lot of work, but seems like ESL is also just complete rear end at production.

EDIT: Holy gently caress they have post-game analysis where it's like a goddamn weather report.

A couple of times they switched to a cool 4-way split screen showing all four members of a team, with cams showing the guys even. It must have been a pain to set up, because they only used it a couple of times.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Assuming there are no technical issues it should be trivial to properly cast a PUBG match - look at the map, locate clusters of players -> switch to there and start commentating

Also: gently caress solo right now on OC, had a bit of a session earlier, 3 top tens, three hackers instantly triple-shot headshotting me with a string-of-numbers name.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

abigserve posted:

Assuming there are no technical issues it should be trivial to properly cast a PUBG match - look at the map, locate clusters of players -> switch to there and start commentating

Also: gently caress solo right now on OC, had a bit of a session earlier, 3 top tens, three hackers instantly triple-shot headshotting me with a string-of-numbers name.

The technical problem is that the map takes a minute to snap into non playdough mode when you switch around (you can see this for yourself if you are spectating your team and they are split cross map)

They need someone who is a good producer and then like 10 to 15 observers. A few guys at each populated area plus some dudes that are shadowing the players getting into action.

One very cool thing they could do is just do team streams or player streams.

Like i really only care about tsm let me follow their pov for an entire game

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This is your periodic reminder that Snakes never win!!!!!

E: neither do people who do full auto vector sprays from >25m. He 100% would have killed me with a few spaced bursts, had a huge drop on me.

And neither do people who ride 3 wheeled motorcycles :smith: did anyone get to give one a go on the test server? I reckon it's a lot less bad

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 19, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was at IEM yesterday and they could really use a revamp of the caster/spectator system - Overwatch just had a complete redo of their esports caster system and it did a lot of good poo poo.

You could see the frustration on the casters faces yesterday in person, as the kill feed was showing SmaK getting Kar98 headshots (somewhere) as their camera remained focused on some dorks in a house pounding energy drinks.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Overwatch has had a tremendous amount of money invested in Esports and there’s only 12 people in a match. It’s actually pretty bad it’s taken almost two years to get where they are, now. I think was around two years ago now that their extremely polished beta came out. Way more polished than this game currently is.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

cosmicjim posted:

Overwatch has had a tremendous amount of money invested in Esports and there’s only 12 people in a match. It’s actually pretty bad it’s taken almost two years to get where they are, now. I think was around two years ago now that their extremely polished beta came out. Way more polished than this game currently is.

That's true, but they had to invest a ton of effort to make sense of all the visual noise during the action. By comparison I'd almost be cocky enough to say PUBG has a simpler problem - the issue yesterday really seemed to be that the casters couldn't get to the action in time (among other things). There's a lot of room for simple improvement, like having a separate stream or IRL screen for the map (the CS:GO stage had a screen for the map, would have loved that for PUBG).

From what I could tell, the casters have extremely rudimentary tools. Something like a touchscreen grid of the teams playing that would flash names when they fired shots, and tapping on the team would jump the camera to their vicinity, would probably improve things immensely. Wouldn't require nearly the engineering effort that Overwatch needed either I don't think.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Any links to coverage of this pubg event? I usually only watch the chocotaco. Speaking of chacotaco he’s grew a lot this week. He was pulling in 1500 viewers. He did solo squads and got placed into a match shroud’s group. He ended up not fighting them directly and died right before he would have engaged them and killed the guy that killed shroud. He got #2 in that match.
He also killed drdisrespect in duos, but I think doc was already down.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
IEM coverage is on https://www.twitch.tv/esl_pubg , coverage will start in a couple hours probably. (I think the first match is around ~1pm PST)

Chocotaco is great, guy is crazy good at solos and never tilts.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

If you kill someone with a vehicle AFTER you run out of gas, while you're still coasting, it should be called a Fart :c00lbert:

Also Got another molly kill 🔥🔥🔥

Can't believe I had 8 frags and only ended up 16th. My Solo kill rank is only like 18,000th right now, lobbies seemed usually tryhard this morning

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

cosmicjim posted:

Any links to coverage of this pubg event? I usually only watch the chocotaco. Speaking of chacotaco he’s grew a lot this week. He was pulling in 1500 viewers. He did solo squads and got placed into a match shroud’s group. He ended up not fighting them directly and died right before he would have engaged them and killed the guy that killed shroud. He got #2 in that match.
He also killed drdisrespect in duos, but I think doc was already down.

Here's some highlights from the stream:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:siren: IEM is live https://www.twitch.tv/esl_pubg

Link to standings here: http://en.intelextrememasters.com/season-12/oakland/pubg/standings/

:aaaaa: Scoom is a fuckin BEAST! 8 kills is 80? points, which is 1/10th of what all of TSM has after 4 games

Game number 6 starting shortly

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2017

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I missed out on yesterday, but it seemed like the observation was pretty good in game 5? The ending with Scoom was crazy. And yeah, repeating what a lot of other people have said, the commentary really helps gets me invested in what's going on.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Tuned in just in time for the last match to restart due to some players not loading into the plane. Awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
There really should be a janky :pubg: emote.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
this was the best moment to be in stands surrounded by people https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyBadButterflyPicoMause

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Red zones never kill anyone.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202819045

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The first red zone I was ever in the open for in this game was on top of the mountain below georgopol, was hunting down someone on the mountain and a second after I kill the guy the first bomb to drop is right on my head.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

That's not even a squad wipe. Till the second explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EN1GOnfhwg

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

ded posted:

HELLO! AND WELCOME TO MOVIEPHONE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGVRX2sqy8

Kind of a cool death effect from driving with the horn blasting.

This was painful to watch.

- Lower your sensitivity, probably
- Don't use burst on the M16 for targets far away
- Don't switch a grey helmet 2 for a a white helmet 2, what the hell
- When you finished the downed guy on the right, you were incredibly lucky not to headshot him from that angle, ruining his helmet 3. Shoot knocked dudes in the butt if you have time and ammo, so you don't ruin their armor!
- Turn your camera in 3pp to look around corners, because otherwise, what's the point.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Just started playing this having fun but I'm sometimes confused on which weapon to keep or throw away.
Anyone give some pointers please?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Le0 posted:

Just started playing this having fun but I'm sometimes confused on which weapon to keep or throw away.
Anyone give some pointers please?

Try to focus on having one short-range and one long-range weapon.

Most ARs can sort of function as both. UMPs are terrible, don't use them. They have half the DPS of ARs and Vektors. All the 5.56 rifles are good, most for both short & long range, depending on your scopes. The AKM is a bit poo poo unless you have a compensator and use it for close range.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

The Mash posted:

Try to focus on having one short-range and one long-range weapon.

Most ARs can sort of function as both. UMPs are terrible, don't use them. They have half the DPS of ARs and Vektors. All the 5.56 rifles are good, most for both short & long range, depending on your scopes. The AKM is a bit poo poo unless you have a compensator and use it for close range.

Everything you have said about this game is suspect due to that statement. UMPs are great, especially when you get it suppressed.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
smg suppressors are not anywhere near as good as you think

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

When the gun is good out to 150 meters with a 100 meter sound profile, I beg to differ.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

White Noise Marine posted:

When the gun is good out to 150 meters with a 100 meter sound profile, I beg to differ.

just use an ar

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

White Noise Marine posted:

Everything you have said about this game is suspect due to that statement. UMPs are great, especially when you get it suppressed.

Name DPS
Groza 600.00125
M249 586.6666667
Vector 563.6363636
AKM 480
M416 476.7442415
UZI 479.1666667
Scar-L 427.0822917
Tommy Gun 441.8604651
UMP9 380.4358696

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm still not sold on the ump. My gun opinions change frequently, because of a still developing meta, but I think it's best to have specialized guns, instead of jack of all trade guns. Ump is usable as an AR and for close range, but not as good as a real AR or sniper rifle for range, and not as good as a shotgun, Vector, or Uzi at close range. I could be wrong, but it's my current opinion.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Smg supressors are bad on their own

SMG's are close range weapons. You don't want to be using them at range unless you have absolutely have too, and at close range they will hear you anyway. A compensator or flash hider will be better because you will hit more bullets on target.

Similarly, if you have a sniper, AR supressors become bad too.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Mash posted:

Name DPS
Groza 600.00125
M249 586.6666667
Vector 563.6363636
AKM 480
M416 476.7442415
UZI 479.1666667
Scar-L 427.0822917
Tommy Gun 441.8604651
UMP9 380.4358696

That's some pretty cash info. Put this poo poo in the OP.
It's missing the M16 though, it can "auto" in burst mode, you just need to click at 6 Hz or so.

vvv Tommy Gun is poo poo

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I like the UMP because you can put a grip and a red dot on it and there's loads of ammo for it. The Tommy Gun packs a punch but the recoil is ludicrous.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
UMP has deliciously low recoil pattern, and I've killed plenty of dudes with a suppressed one while lying in the grass and their teammates unable to locate me in time.

A few microseconds of extra TTK is negligible when you can get more of those shots on target. Submachineguns are great for reactive hip firing, there's not a bad one in the game. Uzi for up close, UMP for close-mid, vector for mid, and tommygun for leaning out the window of a moving vehicle and shouting, 'myeehh, see?' or killing filthy animals.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most of my solo chicken dinners are with supressed umps and tommy guns.
data points died outside of playzone.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I definitely like the Tommy Gun more than the UMP9 for close range because of the slightly higher dps, but i still do like the ump for its ease of use (I'm still a really bad shot)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

UMP is more of an AR replacement for bad aim, than a vector/UZI replacement, unless people are panicking when they fire, and ump gives them more time to adjust aim because of how long it takes to empty the clip or something.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mad.radhu posted:

this was the best moment to be in stands surrounded by people https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyBadButterflyPicoMause

this and the almost squad wipe towards the end of game 8 (where one guy killed three out of four, and his final squad mate came around the tree about 10 seconds later to one shot the guy reviving everyone) were the best moments I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I thought IEM was pretty good, observing apart. There were plenty of highlights, particularly in those mid circles where everyone piled in. aAa were very impressive in their measured approach to taking on fights that allowed them to pick up kills and get position almost every round.

• Locked thread