Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s the best way to share screenshots from your PS4?

Tweet up to 4 at a time or plug a FAT32 flash drive in and copy them (hit Option in the Gallery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Having friends works pretty well for expert, but unless you're joined at the hip, your alt jobs are likely not going to be similar level to make levelling roulettes, or running at-level dungeons, a great experience. I mean, I will still do roulette with a friend who's 34 when I'm 64 but it sucks knowing you're 100% going to get a lovely low level dungeon.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Like, I'm not saying you can't chill out in any way you want. But doing something cooperative, with people you don't know, something that lots of people want to do as quickly as possible, something where they depend on your performance to finish it in a timely manner, and then complaining that they're going too fast for you, is dumb. So, y'know, maybe do something else.

Hang on here. This thread has had this conversation before and I typically agree with your sentiments. I don't mean to come across as complaining. I was initially offering ideas as two why ruta wouldn't get comms when doing fast/big pulls with pubs, by using my own experiences to come up with explanations.

Is "relax" code for "afk and netflix" or something?

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to go into daily roulette, and have a fun time doing to routine content while unwinding from my work day. It's possible to do while still playing well. But if a healer gets in over their head and asks to slow down is that really a big deal?

My problem with this:

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a weird idea, but maybe doing MMO dungeons with strangers on the internet isn't the best thing to do if you just want to chill out and relax?

Fister Roboto posted:

I didn't realize that not wanting to waste other people's time was a controversial opinion.

Is that I'm not sure why the expectation is any different the other way around. There's 4 strangers in there that all need each other for something, so it's still mutually beneficial, even if it's slower. If people just want to go fast, then why shouldn't they be expected to just find their own groups as well? You already said you have friends to do EXDR with to avoid people that want to go slow. Wouldn't it be just as dumb then for a pubbie to go into LDR and get 3 people that want to go normal, and then complain that they aren't going big?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been working on levelling all of the Hand jobs (ahem) lately. It’s pretty cool how they all interlock with each other, gradually turning you into a one-man factory who makes things that make you better at making things until you’ve entered this giant positive feedback loop.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tenik posted:

Every class will need their own job change macro, and every job hotbar will need to be stored on a separate, hidden hotbar that you copy over onto the displayed one. If you are vain, you can set up custom titles for each class with /title display "x" and minions with /minion "x" for each class, too. if you are REALLY vain, then you can setup an additional hotbar that hides/shows your job-switching macros by using the same hotbar display commands, and make special hud layouts for each class that you switch between with the macro command /hudlayout. I'm a big macro dork, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the thread or send me a tell in game. I'm "Your Buddy" on excal.

If you're just changing classes without any minions/emotes/whatever you can just drag and drop the icons from the gear list into the hidden hotbar instead of having to make a new macro for every gear set.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are early pullers on my server, so I've been taking a break from Hunts. :smith:

Jenrai posted:

There is no such thing as an early pull. If the existing group of players can kill the target, it's fair game.

Someone posted about early pullers awhile ago along the lines of: You don't know how long they've been waiting until word got through to you, there's no way to really know when everyone is there, so there's no way to gauge how long they should actually wait and set a cut off.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

itskage posted:

My problem with this:

Is that I'm not sure why the expectation is any different the other way around. There's 4 strangers in there that all need each other for something, so it's still mutually beneficial, even if it's slower. If people just want to go fast, then why shouldn't they be expected to just find their own groups as well? You already said you have friends to do EXDR with to avoid people that want to go slow. Wouldn't it be just as dumb then for a pubbie to go into LDR and get 3 people that want to go normal, and then complain that they aren't going big?

The thing is that the majority of the playerbase wants to do stuff as quick as it can, and I can say that pretty confidently because we play a game of "skip soar or disband" and prae/castrum speedruns regardless of how many newbies there are. Now you can try and explain those away any way you want, but at the end of the day fact is people want to get poo poo done as fast and efficiently as possible, even if they can't and especially if it's stuff they're farming or doing for the nth time. Speedrunning is what the community has decided is good and desirable, and even fflogs has changed to accommodate this by prioritizing speedkills over dps numbers. People who want to go slow are the minority, and people who complain that they cant go slow are the same people the community makes fun of with stuff like "honest healer," "respecting the content" so on and so forth. That's just the game we play.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Realistically people are going to be (or at the very least seem) chill if a dungeon takes 20-30 minutes in DF and there's no wipes. Most of the time people are chill if a wipe or two happens simply because of an obvious 'oops, sorry' mistake happening.

It's very rare when I see a person who isn't chill and complains from either the first wipe or from the getgo. Those people are the ones who probably should have formed a group for whatever they're doing that'd match their expectations better.

Velthice posted:

The thing is that the majority of the playerbase wants to do stuff as quick as it can, and I can say that pretty confidently because we play a game of "skip soar or disband" and prae/castrum speedruns regardless of how many newbies there are. Now you can try and explain those away any way you want, but at the end of the day fact is people want to get poo poo done as fast and efficiently as possible, even if they can't and especially if it's stuff they're farming or doing for the nth time. Speedrunning is what the community has decided is good and desirable, and even fflogs has changed to accommodate this by prioritizing speedkills over dps numbers. People who want to go slow are the minority, and people who complain that they cant go slow are the same people the community makes fun of with stuff like "honest healer," "respecting the content" so on and so forth. That's just the game we play.

And the Skip Soar debacle shows how dumb that is. 'Mechanics are for cars' too. People want to both be lazy and go fast and the two are inherently incompatible. Either way, if you're queuing into DF for something you need to have a baseline expectation that takes into account the randos you're queuing with. Also if you get someone new to whatever you're doing too.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not arguing I'm just saying. The general expectation from pretty much everyone is "go fast." You can call out people being dumb wherever you see it, but good luck starting the revolution

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I think you have a good point with the "even if they can't" part. If everyone was capable all the time then this wouldn't be an issue. And obviously Fister would like a community where you could reasonably expect everyone to do big pulls and be able to. I just don't think it's realistic, and that pushing the speed running mentality too hard runs into situations where1-2 wipes from an inexperienced healer making a mistake, or an over zealous tank pulling more than they can handle, are no longer a big deal, and instead an excuse for people to be assholes.

e: cleaned up a bit.

itskage fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 20, 2017

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Does anyone else have to turn off frontline freelancer everytime they log back in?

Is there a way to set it to off by default?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Velthice posted:

People who want to go slow are the minority, and people who complain that they cant go slow are the same people the community makes fun of with stuff like "honest healer," "respecting the content" so on and so forth. That's just the game we play.

people who want to go slow are the assholes who go into Dusk Vigil with an i90 weapon, or the healers you get in Shisui who demand single pulls even though they're wearing full 270 and do just fine when you ignore them and do the standard double pulls anyway

"skip soar" wasn't even hard, you could easily do it with a 2/2/4 comp if all of the dps were able to beat the target dummy but instead we got all these terrible idiots who make 1/1/6 PFs and still can't skip soar because they're all terrible and would rather blame it on everyone else than learn to do their own basic opener.

if you can't even come close to beating the loving target dummy you shouldn't be doing EX/savage. 7/8 premades shouldn't have to update their PF entry to "outdps the healers or disband" after getting multiple people who failed to do that in Zurvan phase 1.

Griz fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 20, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

itskage posted:

Yeah, it would be. That's why I try not to do exdr without friends anymore.

I just object to anyone who uses "I just want to relax" as an excuse for playing like poo poo. I don't think that's you or even anyone in this thread, so whatever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm leveling a healer for the first time in forever and easing myself back in by doing all the ARR dungeons in order. That's just the kind of neurotic person I am I guess. When I load in, I tell the party I'm rusty, and sometimes the tank does smaller pulls to accomodate that, and it goes a little more slowly than normal, and that's fine. And sometimes the tank does normal or big pulls, and I have to hustle a little, and I learn from it, and that's fine, and sometimes I don't learn from it and we all die, and that's fine too. I'm a really bad healer and I'm sure I'm slowing things down too just by being conservative and skittish with my DPS, but like, I'm a little less bad with each dungeon as I start to internalize how much each heal does, how my GCD squares out with a tank's ability to take hits, etc.

Sometimes in a roulette it's a tank that's new, or sometimes you just wind up with people not playing their primary jobs and things are a little suboptimal. I've never ever seen anyone complain or grumble that, like, Sirensong took 22 minutes before. I'd characterize the player base, at least from my little corner of Primal, as remarkably patient and goodwilled in terms of giving people space to learn and breathe when it comes to 4-person dungeons in particular. It's fun to go really quickly when you're good at your job and bored with the dungeon, but like, I feel like there's a big difference between enabling people making silly gameplay decisions and acknowledging that people don't start out good at a job, and that it takes a few runs of a dungeon to figure out the best pull sizes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also what Velthice said, the speed meta is definitely "in" now, or more common than it ever was. It's pretty rare outside of extremely low level dungeons to get tanks that do only one pack at a time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I don't see how big pulls aren't relaxing. I'm not the top healer in Eorzea by any means but even the largest dungeon pull out there isn't this huge stressful micromanagy thing. Assuming the tank is using their cooldowns properly it's not particularly hard to keep them up. The only real way to screw up is if you over DPS and if you're super stressed and just want a chill dungeon I don't think anyone's gonna slam you for honest healing huge pulls until they drop to a level where DPSing is easy. It'd be better if you were DPSing but there's a difference between focusing healing when a tank pulls half the dungeon vs never casting stone ever.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Simulacra posted:

Does anyone else have to turn off frontline freelancer everytime they log back in?

Is there a way to set it to off by default?

Join up with the Flames, then you'll never want it off and the problem solves itself.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also what Velthice said, the speed meta is definitely "in" now, or more common than it ever was. It's pretty rare outside of extremely low level dungeons to get tanks that do only one pack at a time.

Man I fuckin' wish, unless you are adding 50/60 dr to extremely low level dungeons. Always get single pulling tanks in that roulette and it kills me.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Having the social skills/connections to run roulettes the way you want to is just as important as having your rotation learned. If you can't be bothered to make friends who play the way you do, enjoy the pubbies of equal skill to yourself.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

itskage posted:

Someone posted about early pullers awhile ago along the lines of: You don't know how long they've been waiting until word got through to you, there's no way to really know when everyone is there, so there's no way to gauge how long they should actually wait and set a cut off.

My metric is that between the combination of a server's generally accepted hunt announcement channels, and the minimum travel time needed to get to the hunt's location, there will be a very clear time when a giant crowd of players descends on the hunt's location very close to simultaneously. (Maybe a few stragglers due to load times or reaction speeds.)

Wait for the crowd to arrive, and pull when the arrival speed seems to be slowing down or after 30 seconds, whichever comes first. It's simple, effective, and all you need to do to ensure that the only people giving you crap about early pulling are people who either dragged their heels getting there, or who didn't use the server's generally accepted hunt announcement channels to find out about hunts. Both of which are on them.

Sure, a perfect solution doesn't exist, for reasons such as the ones you gave. But you can have a pretty drat good imperfect solution, and it's better to go with "pretty drat good imperfect solution" than "oh well, if it can't be perfect, no reason to bother trying at all".

Vil fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 20, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be better if you were DPSing but there's a difference between focusing healing when a tank pulls half the dungeon vs never casting stone ever.

That's all anyone's asking, I think. Just don't stand around doing nothing, healers, you have buttons to push!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vil posted:

My metric is that between the combination of a server's generally accepted hunt announcement channels, and the minimum travel time needed to get to the hunt's location, there will be a very clear time when a giant crowd of players descends on the hunt's location very close to simultaneously. (Maybe a few stragglers due to load times or reaction speeds.)

Wait for the crowd to arrive, and pull when the arrival speed seems to be slowing down or after 30 seconds, whichever comes first. It's simple, effective, and all you need to do to ensure that the only people giving you crap about early pulling are people who either dragged their heels getting there, or who didn't use the server's generally accepted hunt announcement channels to find out about hunts. Both of which are on them.

Sure, a perfect solution doesn't exist, for reasons such as the ones you gave. But you can have a pretty drat good imperfect solution, and it's better to go with "pretty drat good imperfect solution" than "oh well, if it can't be perfect, no reason to bother trying at all".

itskage posted:

Yeah personally my server has a Linkshell called "Blitzkrieg Warfare" that is dedicated to pulling as early as possible at all times, preferably with giant flashing neon middle fingers to everyone still trying to get there.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Join up with the Flames, then you'll never want it off and the problem solves itself.

At least for Primal, Maelstrom has been absolutely thrashing the hell out of everyone the entire week. I think I'm at like a 95% win rate with only 3 non 1st place finishes total so far this week?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish there were more macuahuitls in this game. They're such a unique weapon type compared to boring old swords. I can't think of any other RPG that has macuahuitls.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
ya'll give way too much of a poo poo about 4 man content. Like I prefer large pulls and fast dungeons, but I don't really care enough to complain if it doesn't happen.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Only time I ever care about going fast is when I'm playing dragoon because slow tanks gently caress me out of playing the fun part of my class. I don't even want multi-pulls, just loving hustle between single pulls instead of standing around fidgeting with your pockets for 20s before moving forward in the dungeon.

I once had a bitchy, petulant tank intentionally gently caress me out of lotd repeatedly for the rest of a skalla run because I pulled the first boss roughly two seconds early because lotd was about to drop. Not kidding, he stopped between pulls until lotd fell off while screaming about toxic elitists ruining his game the entire loving dungeon, it was the single worst exdr I've ever had

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 20, 2017

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Now I feel guilty because I just had a tank who was leaving one mob alive before taking off so I could keep greased lightning up while we headed off to the next pull. I'd never seen that before and I asked him if he was doing it on purpose and he said yes and I was just overwhelmed with emotion.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Leofish posted:

RDMs don't die as much because they open with a melee combo against the boss, displace out of the arena with 1 second left, and get locked out for the rest of the fight.

I've done this with repelling shot twice. The second time was because I forgot they changed the timer from 15 seconds to 30 seconds in 24mans.

EponymousMrYar posted:

And the Skip Soar debacle shows how dumb that is. 'Mechanics are for cars' too. People want to both be lazy and go fast and the two are inherently incompatible. Either way, if you're queuing into DF for something you need to have a baseline expectation that takes into account the randos you're queuing with. Also if you get someone new to whatever you're doing too.

The whole skip soar thing was dumb as hell, mostly because most NA pugs are too retarded to understand positioning and thus the mechanic was deemed too hard and had to be skipped at all times.

x1o fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 20, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Bolow posted:

At least for Primal, Maelstrom has been absolutely thrashing the hell out of everyone the entire week. I think I'm at like a 95% win rate with only 3 non 1st place finishes total so far this week?

Yeah, and along with this comes 20+ minute wait times. It's like I'm back in the Seal Rock days all over again. Except worse because Shatter is still all that pops and Shatter is still the worst Frontline.

Really hope the new Frontline is not horrible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The elephant in the room to me is that lotd and grease lightning are lovely.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
BotD would be fine if you didn't lose eyes when it drops. Greased Lightning is still pretty horrible even if Riddle of Earth ended up helping way more than I expected it to. Allowing you to stack duration BotD-style up to like I dunno 20 secs might be enough to fix it, most of the time when it wasn't clearly my fault I feel like it drops off at the very last second.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are early pullers on my server, so I've been taking a break from Hunts. :smith:

I pull "early" because if I hear about an hunt and can get there, it's almost definitely been long enough for anyone interested to get there, generally speaking. I'm not in a hunt linkshell so people who have a vested interest in hunts should be hearing about them long in advance of me.

That, and I'm not waiting 5 minutes for Pikachu Digimon's second cousin to finish levelling to 70 and then teleport over and then run because he didn't get all the air currants.

e: basically, a lot of the arguments for letting people watch cutscenes and waiting for hunts boil down to "i want this, you should respect my wishes" when there's a not insignificant aspect of "i want this, but i should respect your time" with MMO games which gets glossed over.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 20, 2017

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
who really cares if lotd drops during trash. the only time this will matter is if the tank is doing single pulls at an abysmal pace, and at that point it's time to turn your brain off because that poo poo is already a lost cause.

i've been a dragoon for a while and it's never been a problem. this class is easy as hell to begin with, no reason to remove the one strategic choice we get.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Magres posted:

Only time I ever care about going fast is when I'm playing dragoon because slow tanks gently caress me out of playing the fun part of my class. I don't even want multi-pulls, just loving hustle between single pulls instead of standing around fidgeting with your pockets for 20s before moving forward in the dungeon.

This, so much. Honestly, I've found that unless you have a really AOE-heavy party, giant pulls don't make a huge difference, but tanks that stop after every pull or sit there for 30 seconds before a boss are incredibly annoying. And I usually play casters and healers, I can only imagine how infuriating it must be when the tank pauses before a boss and makes you lose Greased Lightning or whatever.

Also, a hip, cool thing you should know and I should have figured out a while ago: you can disable spell particle effects in /gpose by hitting print screen a few times while very, very slowly rotating the camera. I noticed that they flicker in and out when you're moving the camera, but I always figured they would just show up in the final screenshot anyways.

Unless, of course, that's just my video card being weird.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
frankly, it's a simple fact that some classes are fun in raids/trials and boring or a headache during dungeons, and vice versa.

most melee classes require a pretty high apm for single-target performance which is fun and satisfying when you're perfecting your rotation against a savage raid, but then you get in a dungeon and you're spamming one button and by the time you get to a boss you just don't feel like working very hard for content that really doesn't matter.

classes i won't bother doing exdr or dungeons with outside of leveling to 70: drg, nin, mnk, mch.

otoh some classes feel very satisfying melting mobs with, and are smooth enough in playstyle to not feel like a workout when killing dungeon bosses.

examples: blm, smn, rdm

tanks and healers are just a snoozefest in dungeons no matter what, but they get the fast queues so pick your poison.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarrisan posted:

tanks and healers are just a snoozefest in dungeons no matter what, but they get the fast queues so pick your poison.

You're not pulling big enough if that's what you think, imo. Also spoiler: bosses usually die just slow enough for all your big heal/tank cooldowns to recharge for the next huge pull.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Truga posted:

You're not pulling big enough if that's what you think, imo. Also spoiler: bosses usually die just slow enough for all your big heal/tank cooldowns to recharge for the next huge pull.

i mained tank and healer in the past, i know the playstyle; ultimately, i just feel like none of the abilities are quite as satisfying as flare or deathflare in big pulls and of course the rotations are dead simple on the bosses. i'm ultimately a dps at heart, so that's where i'm speaking from. if tanks and or healers are satisfying to you, that's cool because you're in a good spot pretty much no matter what the game throws at you.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Using Zurvan and soar as an example of the go fast mentality isn't really accurate because that's not the reason people did that. People either did not know how to deal with the mechanic or wanted to avoid it. It was the same reason that people insisted on using the tank lb on the mandatory soar once he starts using ice and fire.

For some people that was about speed running, yes. But I can tell you from doing it in PF a lot that mostly it was because most people could not handle the bowtie pattern. The fact that the original diagrams were rotated incorrectly did not help this either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When you run head first into a big pull, pop off your swiftcasted holy and fire off that Assize and see three 10,000+ crits and people say healing is a snoozefest :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I think a lot of monk's jank could be fixed by just making riddle of earth a pure defensive cooldown and making a riddle of wind that holds your gl stacks in place for like 60 seconds or something. Put stance swapping on a ten second cooldown so it still won't save you if you legitimately gently caress up during a fight. You still get punished for being bad but not if it is literally impossible for you to maintain your stacks.

Or gently caress all that and lower perfect balance's cooldown to something reasonable for gods sake.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 20, 2017