Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pardon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the trailer very pointedly says absolutely nothing about the plot once he's tiny.

i have a feeling it's gonna be less "wacky hijinks happen" and more "his life is completely ruined and he spirals into despair and eventually eats a tiny gun"

not reading your spoiler but maybe he shouldnt shrink himself down? what are even the upsides? oh sure, you can live cheaper in this literal reservation that a corporation owns and doesnt give a poo poo about

the metaphor is so idiotic. i would be interested in a movie where a lifesize matt damon somehow sells himself into corporate bondage or something. i dunno

maybe its a good metaphor if youre 10 years old?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Loving Vincent marketing is getting weird

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

not reading your spoiler but maybe he shouldnt shrink himself down? what are even the upsides? oh sure, you can live cheaper in this literal reservation that a corporation owns and doesnt give a poo poo about

Apparently the intent is to miniaturise the entire human race over the next two centuries to solve resource issues.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Discworld had a minor character who was a gnome exterminator who was able to underbid allt other exterminators because as a tiny gnome a loaf of bread could last him a week and a single bottle of beer was several months supply so he didn't need much money.

Also he'd go into the rat holes and punch the rats to death.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MikeJF posted:

Apparently the intent is to miniaturise the entire human race over the next two centuries to solve resource issues.

yea but theres a company behind it!! maybe if it was some kinda international UN accord but no its a private company (at least according to the trailer)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

new high concept scifi idea i just though of:

- someone invents artificial spines
- pretty cool, helps people who broke their real spine etc
- a company offers matt damon to sell his spine but he gets an artificial one
- sounds pretty good yea?
- the company is evil or maybe it just goes bankrupt or gets bought or literally a thousand other things
- matt damon is hosed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also the same idea but instead its clothes or pocket lint

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They sent the family a cut off ear...the family wrapped it in a couple of 100 dollar bills and sent back.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It looks like that was filmed in 2007.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, these attempts at hiding bad reviews on the poster are getting really weird.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vagabundo posted:

It say Marcia Wallace is in the cast, so I'd say so?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, it was shelved for 10 years for no clear reason. Also I think one the directors wrote her own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathryn_Michon

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

No, you cook off!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It say Marcia Wallace is in the cast, so I'd say so?

poo poo, I hadn't even noticed that.

I found it odd that Melissa McCarthy wasn't top-billed, but it makes more sense considering how old it is. Was Gilmore Girls still on the air at the time? That's what she was doing then, right?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 18, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow

Vagabundo posted:

apparently the most accurate call itt

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it was shelved for 10 years for no clear reason. Also I think one the directors wrote her own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathryn_Michon

Was not expecting a screenwriting credit for A Dog's Purpose, glad she hit the big time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vagabundo posted:

poo poo, I hadn't even noticed that.

I found it odd that Melissa McCarthy wasn't top-billed, but it makes more sense considering how old it is. Was Gilmore Girls still on the air at the time? That's what she was doing then, right?

Yeah, it was in its final season. A few years before she finally hit it big with Bridesmaids.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

From the Bootleg/Knockoff thread.

I love everything about this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
downsizing would be a great charlie kaufman film

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Proteus Jones posted:

Good God. Now I want to watch that movie again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Proteus Jones posted:

Pretty much all these new Ghana movie posters are commissioned by westerners and are intentionally made wacky and inaccurate so they just don't have the same je ne sais quoi of the originals.

quote:

Meanwhile, would-be customers from overseas began contacting Jasper and others, eager to have their own versions of the day’s popular films on canvas. (A struggling video store in Chicago, for instance, commissioned an improbably bloody retelling of Mrs. Doubtfire.)

Today, Jasper and Armah both paint posters and ship them on demand. But the transactions, these days, are coldly economical—sapped of the rivalry and innovation that once made the poster-making industry so unique and lively. “If you want to make your living as an artist, you paint whatever people ask you for,” Jasper says bluntly.

Anyway, he says, part of the magic of the old days was that the posters had lives of their own, completely outside the films they depicted. Now, he Google image searches movie posters he’s hired to reproduce in one of Teshie’s Internet cafes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

White People: Ruining Everything Since Time Immemorial.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I liked bad posters before they were cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

Also looks about when they photoshopped the poster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the second of these looks way more interesting

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Supergirl, hero of the SS? Sure why not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Supergirl, hero of the SS? Sure why not.

The crossover special (because CW DC series are like the comics now) concerns the wedding of Barry Allen and Iris West being interrupted by Super Nazis from another dimension.

Chances are this can be blamed on someone being too liberal with the Speed Force again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On my world it means short.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The crossover special (because CW DC series are like the comics now) concerns the wedding of Barry Allen and Iris West being interrupted by Super Nazis from another dimension.

Chances are this can be blamed on someone being too liberal with the Speed Force again.

Earth 10, or Earth-X, I suppose. It's an alternate universe in DC Comics, where the Nazis won World War II. That version of Supergirl is called Overgirl.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Earth 10, or Earth-X, I suppose. It's an alternate universe in DC Comics, where the Nazis won World War II. That version of Supergirl is called Overgirl.

From the trailer it's "X" the letter. Apparently for those in the know in the CW shows, there's 52 Earths, except there's a 53rd called Earth-X. We don't talk about that one, because ew, Nazis.

See, this is why you don't keep the existence of A LITERAL NAZI EARTH secret, guys. It lets them do things like interrupt the Flash's wedding (oh, and take over the world I guess)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 22, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pre-New52, the Nazi Earth was indeed called "Earth X".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pre-New52, the Nazi Earth was indeed called "Earth X".

Why 'X'?

They couldn't figure out how to type 卐?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why 'X'?

They couldn't figure out how to type 卐?

iirc, it was literally Earth-*swastika* at first, but the editors or comics code or somebody demanded they changed it so it became Earth-X

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Guy Goodbody posted:

iirc, it was literally Earth-*swastika* at first, but the editors or comics code or somebody demanded they changed it so it became Earth-X

Wouldn't want to upset those Nazis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YxMqj1Lsk&t=76s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like I know my way around Mark Hamill’s beard by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, turns out both of those ended up being problematic.