Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Heart breaking fact here, after the 1st World war a lot of people became fascinated with the super natural and mediums because they simply wanted to get in touch with those who had been lost during the whole conflict.

Arthur Conan Doyle was really into this stuff too.

Same thing happens after the ACW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So with the current trend of claiming that AR-15s are actually more mud resistant than AKs, are there any qualities left that would make an AK more desirable?

Also, can someone explain the organization of Cold War airforces into Frontal Aviation and stuff?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Heart breaking fact here, after the 1st World war a lot of people became fascinated with the super natural and mediums because they simply wanted to get in touch with those who had been lost during the whole conflict.

Arthur Conan Doyle was really into this stuff too.
While I have no doubt this was the case, you're divorcing this development from the larger cultural context in which people across europe had been extremely into the occult during the turn of the century as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Soul-Occultism-Genesis-German/dp/0801878128

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

So with the current trend of claiming that AR-15s are actually more mud resistant than AKs, are there any qualities left that would make an AK more desirable?

Also, can someone explain the organization of Cold War airforces into Frontal Aviation and stuff?

AKs are cheaper and easier to build, so cheap that it’s often preferable to replace a gun rather than repair it. They also have some beneficial qualities for maintenance, like having a top cover that can be removed in one motion to expose the internals for cleaning. The charging handle is also directly attached to the bolt so you can yank it open or smack it closed if it gets sticky, which you can’t do with a non-reciprocating design like a FAL.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GUNS posted:

While I have no doubt this was the case, you're divorcing this development from the larger cultural context in which people across europe had been extremely into the occult during the turn of the century as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Soul-Occultism-Genesis-German/dp/0801878128

Well I didn't exactly claim that this was the entire root of such interest, just the usual huge boost you get as a result in a massive conflict like after the US Civil War as mentioned above.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Guns on ships were just a fad and always will be. Ramming is the correct way to do battle at the sea. And if it refuses to sink, you board it!

Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon, is that you?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

AKs are cheaper and easier to build, so cheap that it’s often preferable to replace a gun rather than repair it. They also have some beneficial qualities for maintenance, like having a top cover that can be removed in one motion to expose the internals for cleaning. The charging handle is also directly attached to the bolt so you can yank it open or smack it closed if it gets sticky, which you can’t do with a non-reciprocating design like a FAL.

It should also be noted that the differences between them are, on the scale of an entire military, completely negligible. The relatively small differences in reliability or performance that gun nerds nitpick might make sense to consider if you're outfitting a small group of special forces, but you could swap the whole US military over to the AK tomorrow and it's still the US military and is going to preform almost identically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Availability and logistics are king, especially in conflicts between non-state actors and in less industrialized parts of the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's an absolute shitload of AKs lying around. AR15 family sees use where it's available too but AKs are everywhere.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
AKs are also cheaper and easier to make than ARs

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

That's weird, did you get a feeling of being smothered by your own body like I did? How did you deal with that?

I didn't, the paralysis cycle did and does not initiate as long as I fall asleep on my stomach.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

These are two of my favorite posts ever in this thread.

gently caress all of you though for acting like there is any good reason to not build new battleships, bunch of amateur pussies.

also, the correct answer for modern (and future) naval gunfire support is rocket artillery. am serious.

:(

So do you see these battleships as floating missile batteries like the Kirov, or railguns an' poo poo?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 20, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GUNS posted:

That's weird, did you get a feeling of being smothered by your own body like I did? How did you deal with that?

I get SP every now and then, and while on my back I feel like I'm being crushed by an unseen force. I thought that feeling would manifest weather you are on you stomach, back, or side. I certainly understand not wanting to repeat stuff from certain episodes and avoiding it though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

Mud resistance is not the sum total of reliability. Also, reliability (the ability to avoid malfunctions when in good repair) isn't durability (the ability to be used for a long time without degradation in performance). The AR platform resists mud specifically because it is sealed very well. Other than the ejection port, the only real places for ingress are the trigger opening in the lower, and everything down there is under pretty solid spring tension so it's less likely to jam up, or the charging handle maybe, and that's a real stretch.

That's an exceptionally good performance. Bullpups pretty universally jam, lock up, and are a bitch and a half to clean out. The AKM is likely to turn into a bolt action that can be cleaned out with a garden hose or even canteen. That's not exceptional, but it's still good. Even better, if you're dealing with things like sand that don't have real adhesive properties, you can pop the dust cover off, turn it upside down, give it a good smack and likely have a semi/full auto firearm. The AR is good at handling most particulates, but if you get the bullet end of a magazine dirty, it's likely hosed. Same goes for getting dirt/mud/sand in the action when you've shot a magazine and the bolt hold open is keeping the bolt from sealing the ejection port.

The AR is almost definitely the best infantry small arms platform around right now. It's reliable, it's light, it's accurate, it's not overly hard to maintain, and it's very easy to accessorize. However, everything's a set of tradeoffs. What happens if you have an industrial base that revolves around stampings and a logistics chain that can't handle guns that may be reliable but aren't great at handling long periods of poor maintenance? Then the AK is still a great platform for your needs.

Honestly the biggest problem of the AK platform for high end users is that they tend to end up very heavy if you add on a bunch of force multipliers compared to a modern AR that's got a lot of mounting systems integrated into it. I mean good mud resistance and being relatively easy to make a sub minute of angle gun is nice, but being able to drag through a mess of tactical kit and not ending up with 12 pounds of rifle because of all the extra mounts you needed to add is probably the bigger difference.

Some of the qualities are mutually contradictory by the way. The loose tolerances that make it easier for an AK to admit fouling than an AR are the precise loose tolerances that let you run the drat thing till parts breakage with minimal maintenance.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The battleship discussion will ultimately be mooted by the current generation of writers and reporters who refuse to learn the difference between a battleship and a warship.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

:(

So do you see these battleships as floating missile batteries like the Kirov, or railguns an' poo poo?

I'll tentatively say both, but it really depends on how big our shipyards are.

Also, there's a new Osprey book about the BB fights in the Pacific, I ordered it and will use it to further explain why both the navies were wrong in how they chose carriers over god's own best warship.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_incident

I'm reading about the Dogger Bank incident and if you told me ghosts or other supernatural forces were involved, I might believe you

bewbies posted:

I'll tentatively say both, but it really depends on how big our shipyards are.

Also, there's a new Osprey book about the BB fights in the Pacific, I ordered it and will use it to further explain why both the navies were wrong in how they chose carriers over god's own best warship.

I look forward to this immensely

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Guns on ships were just a fad and always will be. Ramming is the correct way to do battle at the sea. And if it refuses to sink, you board it!

Guns are very useful in boarding

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Guns are very useful in boarding

Want to read the sci fi book where instead of carriers, naval war fare is all launching boarding parties out of cannons

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JcDent posted:

Iirc, and this is going off the comparisons done by Ian and that super tense dude, the tighter fitting of the AR suggests it will do better with larger particulates but worse with finer stuff, so if you are ingesting dust into the action it will eventually stop feeding/ejecting smoothly.

The AK has more space between stuff internally so it will more easily clear fine dust/sand but will allow larger grit/mud to get in and stick, causing it to have problems closing into battery.

Pikes operate normally regardless of how much mud or dust get into the action.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

3. Prestige. Seems odd, but the sheer international penis rating is an important part of any navy and any ship afloat, and has been since time immemorial. The Iowas, as the final and best generation of battleship (to date?), conveyed a huge amount of international penis rating. There's a reason the Japanese surrender was signed aboard an Iowa rather than a carrier, even if carriers were the more instrumental weapon of war.

Just today I came across this, written by Alexander Spiridovich (head of Nicholas II's personal guard) about the Imperial State Visit to the UK in 1909, when the Russian Imperial Yacht was anchored off the Isle of Wight. The visit coincided with the Royal Review of the Home and Atlantic Fleets:

Alexander Spiridovich posted:

It was watching this spectacle before me that I realized, all of a sudden, in a truly concrete fashion so to speak, why it was that our Sovereigns were always so passionately in love with the fleet. In effect, it is in the fleet that the military power of a State is expressed with an astonishing simplicity and in a truly tangible and visible manner. One may well possess an army of millions of men; yet it is impossible to see them before you in one place, all gathered together, such a notion would be mathematically not possible. A Navy, to the contrary, gives us the chance in a compact reality, within limits, with a finite size.

It was not without some feelings of jealousy that we watched this admirable tableau. If only we had something similar!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ainsley McTree posted:

Want to read the sci fi book where instead of carriers, naval war fare is all launching boarding parties out of cannons

I feel like this already has to be a thing in Warhammer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

canyoneer posted:

Sadly no, Warhammer has carriers.

It is, however, a Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Don't orks have a ship based form of the shokk attak gun?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

canyoneer posted:

FOR THE EMPEROR!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

Iirc, and this is going off the comparisons done by Ian and that super tense dude, the tighter fitting of the AR suggests it will do better with larger particulates but worse with finer stuff, so if you are ingesting dust into the action it will eventually stop feeding/ejecting smoothly.

The AK has more space between stuff internally so it will more easily clear fine dust/sand but will allow larger grit/mud to get in and stick, causing it to have problems closing into battery.

InRange's tests are good (and the channel's great, watch their stuff if you want to see really interesting shooting competitions with real thought put into gear), but they use mud. That's one metric of many. Getting a good variety is worthwhile. For example Military Arms Channel locked his AR up by dumping dirt into the magazines. Someone else used sand ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHlFfhrDn2c ) and really buried the gun, and that's another useful one. AK operators union, local 47-74 runs their guns into the goddamn ground and tell you if it can survive 5000 rounds and some seriously unkind use and they'll tell you all about what happens. For example, their daniel defense AR's handguard shifted when dropped from shoulder height onto concrete.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

Don't orks have a ship based form of the shokk attak gun?

Oh, 40k. Then yeah, and of course every race makes extensive use of boarding actions because space combat in 40k is mostly "Age of Sail... with lasers!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Oh, 40k. Then yeah, and of course every race makes extensive use of boarding actions because space combat in 40k is mostly "Age of Sail... with lasers!"

Well I assumes 40k was meant when you said they had carriers but... I'm not terribly familiar with warhams fantasy...

Do they have gryphons on boats or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

Well I assumes 40k was meant when you said they had carriers but... I'm not terribly familiar with warhams fantasy...

Do they have gryphons on boats or something?

No. The dwarfs have steam-powered aircraft carriers that launch helicopters.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I forgot about that. It’s such a pointless thing, that actually makes your infantry MORE vulnerable during an amphibious assault, but i wouldn’t trade it for anything

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I hate Red Alert 3 as much as I love boarding torpedoes and drop pods. Teleporters are for wimps!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cythereal posted:

3. Prestige. Seems odd, but the sheer international penis rating is an important part of any navy and any ship afloat, and has been since time immemorial. The Iowas, as the final and best generation of battleship (to date?), conveyed a huge amount of international penis rating. There's a reason the Japanese surrender was signed aboard an Iowa rather than a carrier, even if carriers were the more instrumental weapon of war.

The surrender wasn't just on Missouri because of battleship prestige. It's been reported that Navy higher-ups were terrified that the surrender signing might happen ashore and be an Army show, so they proposed holding the signing on the ship named after Truman's home state to ensure his support for the idea of holding a ceremony highlighting the Navy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I didn't, the paralysis cycle did and does not initiate as long as I fall asleep on my stomach.
That is 100% the opposite of my experience, I haven't had an episode since i started falling asleep on my side

v glad you were able to stop feeling like that, it's so bad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I get SP every now and then, and while on my back I feel like I'm being crushed by an unseen force. I thought that feeling would manifest weather you are on you stomach, back, or side. I certainly understand not wanting to repeat stuff from certain episodes and avoiding it though.
yeah, when i am on my stomach it's not an "unseen force," it's specifically the weight of my own body, and it isn't crushing me, it's smothering me. SP has been no problem since i stopped sleeping on my stomach

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

this man knows what's up

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah, when i am on my stomach it's not an "unseen force," it's specifically the weight of my own body, and it isn't crushing me, it's smothering me. SP has been no problem since i stopped sleeping on my stomach

My sleep paralysis is real weird. I'll be struggling to get across the room and out the door, wriggle off the bed and onto and across the floor, then realize I haven't actually moved at all. It's bizarre and uncomfortable at the time, but I've learned to kinda recognize when it's happening so it's not like, traumatic. Nowhere near as lovely as yours sounds.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

AKs are also cheaper and easier to make than ARs

With the advent of cheap CNC manufacturing equipment I'd argue otherwise.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pharmaskittle posted:

My sleep paralysis is real weird. I'll be struggling to get across the room and out the door, wriggle off the bed and onto and across the floor, then realize I haven't actually moved at all. It's bizarre and uncomfortable at the time, but I've learned to kinda recognize when it's happening so it's not like, traumatic. Nowhere near as lovely as yours sounds.
As long as I sleep on my side or back, i am fine. Nothing's happened since my sister got married, which means...seven years? Eight? Thanks for your sympathy though, it SUUUUCKED

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GUNS posted:

Weird, mine is not positionally related at all, I've gotten it on my side and back. I sleep with my closet door closed all the time now because during a SP episode i hallucinated something in there so I remove that as a potential recurrence.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah i know when it is happening so it kinda helps, especially once full control comes back. It was terrifying the first time. Since then its been just annoying as hell cause you cannot go back to sleep after that amount of adrenaline gets flowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Clearly I need to affix an AK to a pike!

By the way, how did the Brits, Japanese, Soviets and Axis Minors handle replacements and casualty treatment? I know that Americans had medics (at platoon level?) to treat them at platoon level before kicking them down to triage stations and hospitals and whatnot, while Germans... went straight for field hospitals and whatever? Meanwhile, for replacements, Americans had the depos and whatever.

You probably catch my drift.