Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have beaten Azure and it has me ins anely hyped for CS3 and the future of Trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terper posted:

I have beaten Azure and it has me ins anely hyped for CS3 and the future of Trails.

I've heard people say the Crossbell arc is the best arc. Does that bear out for you?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i played dawn of ys for pc engine and it's a good game in the style of ys 1 and 2, if you liked those like i did. the people at hudson who made it were really big fans i think

the cutscenes are cool as hell, check out the beginning and end of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvSK4ErPcio

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I've heard people say the Crossbell arc is the best arc. Does that bear out for you?
Taken as a whole arc? I'd probably say so. When I beat Zero, I considered it to be probably my least favorite Trails game (but like, relative only to Trails, so still really good), but Azure is really good. It has its issues, of course, and Lloyd is probably my least favorite protagonist (again, not because he's bad), but the amount of stuff it sets up and the events that take place across the whole arc are insane. Looking forward to seeing how my perspective on them changes when I can play them in actually proper English though.

e: Also one of the big reasons I played them was because I was tired of being teased with The Azure Arbitrator on youtube and wanted to hear it and it is, in fact, hype as hell.

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 19, 2017

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Wow, Zin's thunder god kick really is busted and OP as hell. Also, Trails SC is drat good.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Wow, Zin's thunder god kick really is busted and OP as hell. Also, Trails SC is drat good.

It's bugged in SC, that's why it does the multiple hits. But I agree that move is awesome when it does that and of course that Trails SC is drat good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's still less busted and OP than True Distend.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ryuga Death posted:

It's busted in a literal sense. A bug causes the move to hit once for each enemy in range, so if you hit 2 enemies, it hits both enemies twice. If 4 enemies are in range when you execute it, it hits all four enemies 4 times. Enjoy it while it lasts, they unglitched it in 3rd.

But yeah, Trails SC is great.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Is there a quick synopsis of FC anywhere? Going to start up SC again soon but I know how detail oriented the first game was so I don't wanna miss any of the real fun bits.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

BrightWing posted:

Is there a quick synopsis of FC anywhere? Going to start up SC again soon but I know how detail oriented the first game was so I don't wanna miss any of the real fun bits.

I had that problem when I was going to play TitS the 3rd, but never did end up finding anything short of a full LP. I ended up playing FC and SC through again. I know it's not the answer you're looking for sorry - but I did enjoy catching little things you'd only notice on subsequent playthoughs.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
No quick synopsis AFAIK. People usually recommend Cake Attack's FC LP. (it was made with the PSP version, btw)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Small snippet that I call bullshit

Minor spoilers, if knowing that there's a CS4 is spoilers

quote:

Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo had some words to share about the future of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series in a recent interview, and it looks like the next part could release in 2018. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]

Here are a few quotes from the interview:

“We had originally planned on ending it after The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, but we thought that it would be rough to end it with just one title and faced a tough decision,” said Kondo.

He added, “Since it ended like that [Trails of Cold Steel III] I want to bring the next title as soon as possible, and hope to release it by next year.”

While plans were to originally end it with the third title of the Trails of Cold Steel series, Kondo reassured that the next one will be the end, “This will truly be the end. We’re working on a conclusion that wraps up all the mysteries of the Empire.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/20/falcom-originally-wanted-end-trails-cold-steel-iii-hopes-release-next-part-2018/#I1uOmQKiyf54kemx.99

I don't see how they would've ended at 3 unless they just cut out half the game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Erpy posted:

No quick synopsis AFAIK. People usually recommend Cake Attack's FC LP. (it was made with the PSP version, btw)

I can get behind this actually, it'd bee nice to see someone else's thoughts. Also the opening blurb about buying the game purely on a whim and being very surprised at just how good it was echoes my experience perfectly

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm already hype for Trails of Cold Steel VII Part 2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Really Pants posted:

I'm already hype for Trails of Cold Steel VII Part 2

"We've downgraded everyone to handshakes except for Alisa, who you can now marry."

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Tae posted:

"We've downgraded everyone to handshakes except for Alisa, who you can now marry."

Finally!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Tae posted:

I mean, this but unironically? This is clearly what their intentions were from the start, so might as well have it in the story proper instead of being relegated to this weird side event thing that by its nature can't be significantly referenced in the plot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

I don't see how they would've ended at 3 unless they just cut out half the game.

Wasn’t Trails in the Sky meant to be a single game until they realized it was way too huge?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FC/SC were, yes. Though tbh I gotta imagine it's a matter of them increasing the scope over the course of dev and not literally intending the games or even just the sequence of events we have now to be a single JRPG.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually all of Trails is just one game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't have any evidence to say this for 100% certainty but after playing 3 I think It's more likely that when the Erebonia arc was envisioned, Cold Steel 2 was originally supposed to be the second half of 1, Cold Steel 3 was originally going to be 2 and the upcoming 4 would be 3. Cold Steel 3 is a pretty full featured game and the biggest criticism I could throw against it is that it makes Cold Steel 1 and 2 stick out like a sore thumb and all the more obvious they should have been one game. Chalk it up to Vita limitations I guess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Considering CS1 had further cut content I think it might have just been a "first full 'HD' 3D trails" thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CS2 felt like CS1's final chapter stretched to fill a full game and CS3 just feels like half a game. Like if SC ended at the intermission, and SC itself was already horribly stretched.

Basically they all feel incomplete to me and imo the single best thing about the Crossbell games is that they don't suffer from this

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just turn them into visual novels already.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't because this is the first turn-based jrpg series where i've liked the combat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Just turn them into visual novels already.

Trails games are very and increasingly forgiving if you want them to be (ie. play the CS games on anything lower than Hard), so I'd say they're already comparable to VNs with occasional RPG fights if that's your preference.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

lets hang out posted:

CS2 felt like CS1's final chapter stretched to fill a full game and CS3 just feels like half a game. Like if SC ended at the intermission, and SC itself was already horribly stretched.

Basically they all feel incomplete to me and imo the single best thing about the Crossbell games is that they don't suffer from this

I hadn't heard other folks' opinions on it, but yeah. I've only played CS1 in the ToCS series, and I said to my friend as I was playing, and when I was done, "This whole game feels like a prologue"

TitS FC is known for being a slow burn, but ToCS I is like one of those tire fires that burns for 40 years. (analogy is in regards to the pacing, not the quality of the game :) )

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I mean, this but unironically? This is clearly what their intentions were from the start, so might as well have it in the story proper instead of being relegated to this weird side event thing that by its nature can't be significantly referenced in the plot.

I will never, ever extinguish this torch I carry for Sara-sensei.

:hai:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

This, but tiny senpai.

VVV: Also that.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 20, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Same, but Captain Claire.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Some Numbers posted:

This, but tiny senpai.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

This, but the handsome man you see in the monitor when things are loading

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

WARNING: Only works if you are handsome.

:qq:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cake Attack posted:

:wink:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Some Numbers posted:

This, but tiny senpai.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Who the heck is tiny senpai? Is it someone you already met by the time chapter 3 starts in Cold Steel? Not that I've played CS since I'm trying to beat Trails SC first. It's safe to assume I should probably finish Trails 3rd before picking up CS again?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I assume it's Towa.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Who the heck is tiny senpai? Is it someone you already met by the time chapter 3 starts in Cold Steel? Not that I've played CS since I'm trying to beat Trails SC first. It's safe to assume I should probably finish Trails 3rd before picking up CS again?

Towa. She and rean are prett much the platonic ideal of platonic friends though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
After a busy month finally putting some time back into TitS SC and man this game is good.
In general it doesn't have the same feeling of exploration that FC did, since all the areas are "recycled" (but not really if you consider them one big game), but man in general the pacing is so much more intense.
It makes sense if you consider FC the prologue, but almost every chapter of SC has had a pretty decent reveal or great set piece.
Just made it to The Glorious but haven't explored yet. The previous chapter with the dragon attack was amazing.
I've got a few weeks off work coming up next month and really want to clear SC before that so I can hammer through Third during my break, maybe even start CS1.

How far away am I from the ending of SC, in general? I've been doing all sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's 9 chapters total and you're in 6