Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

African AIDS cum posted:

Just beat darker side of the moon finally after a million tries. Is there no real ending or credits or anything? I just got the 3 moons and that was it.

Imagine a scoff so loud it breaks windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Macaluso posted:

Imagine a scoff so loud it breaks windows

Explain

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

"is there no real ending or credits or anything" PFFFTTTT

That whole bit when you go to that final spot at the end, it's just you and Cappy, and he gives that little speech about all the adventures you went on together. And in order to reach the moons at the top of the building you have to end it the way you began: by capturing the first creature you captured when you started the game

THAT'S GOOD poo poo

"I just got 3 moons and that's it" PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Generally, it's meant to be the very last challenge you take on. And if you happen to get all the moons from the Kingdoms (Read: Not buy them), there's a little extra something that unlocks.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Macaluso posted:

"is there no real ending or credits or anything" PFFFTTTT

That whole bit when you go to that final spot at the end, it's just you and Cappy, and he gives that little speech about all the adventures you went on together. And in order to reach the moons at the top of the building you have to end it the way you began: by capturing the first creature you captured when you started the game

THAT'S GOOD poo poo

"I just got 3 moons and that's it" PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh yeah that was neat. I just thought maybe I hosed something up by doing it on assist mode. I went back and beat it on normal mode after because I felt bad for using it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've beaten the game mostly. I'm going to the Dark Side of the Moon tonight. It's been an odd experience. I've gone through playing along, knowing that what I'm playing is objectively good, (the controls are excellent, the challenges in the game are varied and possession acting like powerups would is fine and often interesting) but just feeling unsatisfied with the entire experience and it's really hard to put my finger on why. I noticed this a little when I played through 3D World as well a few years ago.

So I feel like after Galaxy I've probably (unfairly) come to expect Mario 3D games to represent giant steps forward in the way that we conceive of platforming in a 3D space. Galaxy firmly had my jaw on the floor from the moment it started with what it did with 3D space and gravity to alter platforming challenges, but additionally its approach to the worlds and the game represents my favourite understanding of the Mario formula, which is a balance between the straight A-B affairs of 3D World and the open levels of stuff like 64 and Odyssey.

3D World never really does anything new, cat Mario is fun, but there aren't really any big new ideas on 3D platforming that we haven't seen before. That said, it's still absolutely peerless in the way that it approaches what it does do.

Odyssey is in a similar boat. There's nothing here that I've not seen elsewhere in platforming, but additionally, I feel the way it's presented and what it does lends itself more closely to comparisons with Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and DK64. And this is where I think my problem lies.

Banjo Kazooie, is to me, just a better sandbox world platforming experience. It's smaller yes, but I'd say around 70-80 of the jiggies you get are more rewarding than any moons I've got in Odyssey. The characters are more memorable and the levels more diverse. And I think I'm just weird, but it really bothers me that I've been playing a Mario platformer that just isn't the best at what it does. Weirdly enough, I feel like Odyssey and Yooka-Laylee from earlier this year both make the same mistakes in going for a smaller number of worlds with tonnes inside of them over a larger number of worlds with less to do, but a more focused experience.

But it's probably more likely than I'm becoming a codgery old fucker and don't actually know anything.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I kind of wish the second Bowser fight was your reward for 500 moons, and the darker side challenge was your reward for clearing every moon in the game instead of the other way around.

The darker side was a lot cooler of those two things though, so it’s understandable that the devs wanted a lot more people to see it than only people who have the patience to get all the moons from every world.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 20, 2017

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Hot tip: go into first person camera mode while underwater (on a floor) to have a look around while not losing any oxygen at all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I've beaten the game mostly. I'm going to the Dark Side of the Moon tonight. It's been an odd experience. I've gone through playing along, knowing that what I'm playing is objectively good, (the controls are excellent, the challenges in the game are varied and possession acting like powerups would is fine and often interesting) but just feeling unsatisfied with the entire experience and it's really hard to put my finger on why. I noticed this a little when I played through 3D World as well a few years ago.

So I feel like after Galaxy I've probably (unfairly) come to expect Mario 3D games to represent giant steps forward in the way that we conceive of platforming in a 3D space. Galaxy firmly had my jaw on the floor from the moment it started with what it did with 3D space and gravity to alter platforming challenges, but additionally its approach to the worlds and the game represents my favourite understanding of the Mario formula, which is a balance between the straight A-B affairs of 3D World and the open levels of stuff like 64 and Odyssey.

3D World never really does anything new, cat Mario is fun, but there aren't really any big new ideas on 3D platforming that we haven't seen before. That said, it's still absolutely peerless in the way that it approaches what it does do.

Odyssey is in a similar boat. There's nothing here that I've not seen elsewhere in platforming, but additionally, I feel the way it's presented and what it does lends itself more closely to comparisons with Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and DK64. And this is where I think my problem lies.

Banjo Kazooie, is to me, just a better sandbox world platforming experience. It's smaller yes, but I'd say around 70-80 of the jiggies you get are more rewarding than any moons I've got in Odyssey. The characters are more memorable and the levels more diverse. And I think I'm just weird, but it really bothers me that I've been playing a Mario platformer that just isn't the best at what it does. Weirdly enough, I feel like Odyssey and Yooka-Laylee from earlier this year both make the same mistakes in going for a smaller number of worlds with tonnes inside of them over a larger number of worlds with less to do, but a more focused experience.

But it's probably more likely than I'm becoming a codgery old fucker and don't actually know anything.

I was talking with a buddy who has it the other day and my argument is similar. It’s an awesome game that is totally worth the cost and time I put into it, but BotW blew my mind and kept me happy for 100 hours, while this just sort of followed a formula that I already expected. I loved it, but Zelda broke new ground in how I personally enjoy games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Personally I think Odyssey changes the Mario formula a lot less than BOTW changes the Zelda formula. A lot of people have said that it's like a really refined version of Super Mario 64, and it is. I think the difference is that the Mario series never fully refined the gameplay of this style of game after 64, whereas Zelda did after OOT.

However, despite that, it really is a ton of fun to play. When it was revealed, I was a little skeptical about Cappy, but it really introduces a ton of fun platforming mechanics when you combine jumps, wall jumps, cap jumps and captures. I've had a ton of fun just seeing can I get somewhere without using the "intended" method. Of course, it has led to plenty of deaths also. :v:

It's possible that I'm enjoying it more because I never had an N64 so haven't played Mario 64 to death, and have only played an hour or two of Sunshine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I want a remaster of Mario 64 with the current physics and poo poo and current garphics, and also Cappy. Also make all the levels similar to Mario Odyssey where getting a star doesn't send you back out of the painting, and you have these big open world stages to play around in without interruption. Also add in like 500 more stars throughout all the levels. I don't care if Cappy loses the ability to capture enemies, I just want his movement.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Movement with cappy feels the best that mario movement ever has, for what it's worth. I already liked 3D world better than mario 64 but this one seems really particularly good. I wish that there weren't so many "endgame-only but simple, in-the-open" moons - kind of a bummer that I couldn't just get those my first time through, saving the well-hidden ones for the moon rocks.

Wish I could play as peach but ah well, pretty awesome overall. Throwing the hat on stuff is a great way to do powerups.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wish I could play as peach but ah well, pretty awesome overall. Throwing the hat on stuff is a great way to do powerups.

Yeah I was really hoping being able to play as Peach and/or Bowser was one of the postgame things. Peach could have a whole new set of cute outfits (you see a handful of possibilities in her postgame stuff) and I just want to run around the stages as Bowser slashing stuff with my claws

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A Bowser/T-Rex fight would be pretty ace.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't really see the need for every game to be 'revolutionary' rather than just have good design, and Odyssey certainly mixes up the formula in a ton of ways already. The reason we're not getting a new F-Zero is because they can't think of a gimmick for it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Finished getting all the purple coins and buying all the collectibles to get moon #880. Not sure if I want to sit and grind coins for an hour but all that’s left to do is buy 119 moons to get the counter to 999.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished my first run through the game, just a minor question about the last level.

On the moon, there's a Sphinx who asks you if you should be bothering with its questions at this point. I said no and it seemed like the "correct" answer, but I didn't get a moon or access to anything behind it. Talking to it again didn't give me an option to change my answer, is there a moon tied to it or is the Sphinx just there for flavor?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished my first run through the game, just a minor question about the last level.

On the moon, there's a Sphinx who asks you if you should be bothering with its questions at this point. I said no and it seemed like the "correct" answer, but I didn't get a moon or access to anything behind it. Talking to it again didn't give me an option to change my answer, is there a moon tied to it or is the Sphinx just there for flavor?
He does have a postgame moon but he isn't gonna let you waste your time messing with his poo poo when you've got a princess to save :colbert:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't really see the need for every game to be 'revolutionary' rather than just have good design, and Odyssey certainly mixes up the formula in a ton of ways already. The reason we're not getting a new F-Zero is because they can't think of a gimmick for it.

I have to agree. Positive innovation is great but innovation for innovation's sake can just lead to fumbling, something Nintendo itself has been guilty of with some decisions. I mean it basically killed Star Fox Zero

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I was really hoping being able to play as Peach and/or Bowser was one of the postgame things. Peach could have a whole new set of cute outfits (you see a handful of possibilities in her postgame stuff) and I just want to run around the stages as Bowser slashing stuff with my claws

I am sad that Luigi doesn’t seem to be playable, but I can dress Mario like him and pretend. Maybe it’ll be DLC? Who knows?

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I've been going through this a bit slower than most posters but I'm at 400 something stars and am closing in on unlocking darker moon.

This game to me is incredible. Mario just feels so good to move that I don't really need much more reason to enjoy it. The platforming rooms you unlock in the post game are fun as hell.

This game gripped me much more than BOTW did. BOTW was jaw-dropping and my first impression of it was really really good, but I was left wishing there were more permanent item upgrades and dungeons in it. Shrines got old after a while and the "dungeons" felt kind of big and empty.

I hope there's an odyssey 2 or DLC coming down the pipe. I just want to be in this game's universe for longer. I think I might have to replay through all the old marios after this...it's been a while since I played galaxy or mario bros 3.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm playing through Galaxy now after only having played through the first 3-4 levels previously, and it's a great game but if you honestly believe that Odyssey isn't a huge step forward in terms of exploration and gameplay then you're simply out of your goddamn mind

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Fetus posted:

Generally, it's meant to be the very last challenge you take on. And if you happen to get all the moons from the Kingdoms (Read: Not buy them), there's a little extra something that unlocks.

What is it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

s.i.r.e. posted:

What is it?

A tougher version of the final boss fight. Really it's more of a victory lap, and something to let you end the game on a high note.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

I'm playing through Galaxy now after only having played through the first 3-4 levels previously, and it's a great game but if you honestly believe that Odyssey isn't a huge step forward in terms of exploration and gameplay then you're simply out of your goddamn mind

In terms of exploration, sure and in terms of movement you've got cappy.

But in terms of course design? No way. And that, at least to me, is why I'm buying a Mario game.

There is nothing in Odyssey that even compares to a Gusty Garden Galaxy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dr. Fetus posted:

A tougher version of the final boss fight. Really it's more of a victory lap, and something to let you end the game on a high note.

It was like, imperceptibly harder. I actually checked afterward to make sure I hadn't gone in the wrong painting.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It was like, imperceptibly harder. I actually checked afterward to make sure I hadn't gone in the wrong painting.

Me too. I was expecting at least some very slightly different cutscene, like maybe one where princess Peach is actually excited about being rescued or something.

And yes I know that doing something nice for a girl is not an automatic ticket into her pants, but in this game it really seemed out of character for Peach to basically tell Mario to go gently caress himself, Modern Independent Woman style, in almost the same breath as one that started out as her shrieking
for him to rescue her from kidnapping and implied sex slavery.

In other words, it would have been nice to see Mario punch Bowser into orbit or something, and then merrily skip back to the ship with Peach skipping alongside him or something, then they sail off into the sunset back to Earth. Just anything different enough to ensure me that I jumped in the right painting would’ve been fine, really.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GreatGreen posted:

Me too. I was expecting at least some very slightly different cutscene, like maybe one where princess Peach is actually excited about being rescued or something.

And yes I know that doing something nice for a girl is not an automatic ticket into her pants, but in this game it really seemed out of character for Peach to basically tell Mario to go gently caress himself, Modern Independent Woman style, in almost the same breath as one that started out as her shrieking

In other words, it would have been nice to see Mario punch Bowser into orbit or something, and then merrily skip back to the ship with Peach skipping alongside him or something, then they sail off into the sunset back to Earth. Just anything different enough to ensure me that I jumped in the right painting would’ve been fine, really.

:yikes:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've gotten every purple coin and every moon except Volleyball, Jump Rope, Dark Side platforming stuff, and Darker Side.

I assume this is when I'll start to hate the game?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

qbert posted:

I've gotten every purple coin and every moon except Volleyball, Jump Rope, Dark Side platforming stuff, and Darker Side.

Apparently volleyball is easier with player 2. Like not with 2 players, but just using Cappy instead of Mario since he's faster.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

qbert posted:

there's a final moon available only to those who realize they don't have to play mario volleyball to find peace

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm going to attempt to get around now solely through paintings, so that I never have to deposit my moons in the Odyssey. :unsmigghh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you start a new game your other play through is saved right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think each player profile is allowed 4 independent save games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Do you disagree?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Source your quotes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Do you disagree?

Yes you lunatic

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Where do people keep getting the idea that Peach was ungrateful to Mario idgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i too am mad that this woman friend of mine didn't respond with affection when i saved her and expected a reward and then kept shoving myself in her face after she almost died in space

Macaluso posted:

Yes you lunatic

• Locked thread