Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nachos posted:

confirmed, I'm melting down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Yeah pretty embarrassing for UF if Chip ends up at UCLA. Not that UCLA is a bad job or anything, in some ways it's preferable to UF. But, it sucks to have flown out the AD but also the university president only to semi-publically lose out on their coaching target.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah pretty embarrassing for UF if Chip ends up at UCLA. Not that UCLA is a bad job or anything, in some ways it's preferable to UF. But, it sucks to have flown out the AD but also the university president only to semi-publically lose out on their coaching target.

'Doug Nussmeier will only be calling plays at UF for 60 more minutes' I chant, while refreshing footballscoop.com ad infinitum.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
UCLA seems like a pretty good fit for Chip and the lifestyle seems a lot better considering Jim Mora Jr managed to fart around for 6 seasons

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Please let UF get the full on Randy Shannon coaching experience.

It'll lead to his firing in 3 years, and then becomes an assistant at FSU, where he later rises as interim coach to be the only coach to coach all big 3 schools.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Dilber posted:

Please let UF get the full on Randy Shannon coaching experience.

It'll lead to his firing in 3 years, and then becomes an assistant at FSU, where he later rises as interim coach to be the only coach to coach all big 3 schools.

Don't you put that evil on me.

LeeMajors posted:

'Doug Nussmeier will only be calling plays at UF for 60 more minutes' I chant, while refreshing footballscoop.com ad infinitum.

Same.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

It's only fair that everyone suffers what I did.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

It's only fair that everyone suffers what I did.

We had Muschamp so

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

LeeMajors posted:

We had Muschamp so

Your Al Golden after at least won the division, and only made it 2.5 years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Florida delenda est.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
YOu fuckers had better raise youroffer to get him, I don't loving want Chip Kelly back in the Pac12

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We will give 10 million dollars a year to chip but only if he hires SEC Man at all assistant positions

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
UCLA seems like a more appealing fit if for no other reason that the bar isn't that high and lower pressure overall - beat USC every now and then and have winning seasons. Florida has a bounty of talent, but SoCal isn't that far behind.

I understand why Florida got rid of McElwain, but it's not like his record was awful -- there are v high expectations for anyone who goes there. I think it will be a harder sell to get someone at the school than folks may think.

Like, even the expectations of Texas fans was re-calibrated to make a bowl game, have a winning record and don't lose to Iowa State and Kansas. Doesn't seem to be the case at UF.

nachos posted:

I don't see high expectations as a blocker for a potential top 3-5 coach but I don't know much about Chip. You just don't get to the heights of your profession by shying away from a challenge.

v true, but i think he needs to rehab/restore his brand a bit after his nfl stints. i have no doubts he'll be able to, but could be much easier in pac12/ucla than at UF

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 20, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't see high expectations as a blocker for a potential top 3-5 coach but I don't know much about Chip. You just don't get to the heights of your profession by shying away from a challenge.

Also Florida expectations are rock loving bottom. That will probably change very quickly but right now we just want some gat dang points on the board. The team has been a miserable pile of poo poo and borderline unwatchable for nearly a decade.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Urban Meyer left Florida at the height of his power because of Nick Saban. It's not outlandish to suspect that Chip Kelly wants no piece of the SEC with Saban coaching. At the very least, it's a seller's market and he might as well get a second offer to see how it stacks up.

iospace posted:

Florida delenda est.

At least Carthage had Hannibal. We have Doug Nussmeier.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think it would be great if Florida lost out on both Chip and Frost while Tennessee loses out on Gruden and both have to pick like their 5th choice because the administrations have made them toxic environments

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish I could say my team has been a miserable pile of poo poo but still managed to beat our rivals every year. We couldn't even do that.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/GainesTweets/status/932626920902152192

Well, you can't go 7-9 in FBS

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I breathe a sigh of relief every time I see a rumor about another team talking with a coach that is not Scott Frost.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Oh god, I neeeed this

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

wa27 posted:

I breathe a sigh of relief every time I see a rumor about another team talking with a coach that is not Scott Frost.

any time I see that there are more than like 5 replies to this thread, I'm positive that I'm about to read about some coastal school sealing the deal with Frost.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

GIVE ME THIS NOW

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Virginia: Head coach Bronco Mendenhall noted today that he’s not interested the Oregon State opening (his alma mater), stating that “This is exactly where I want to be,” according to David Teel.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

So I actually have some information since, without going to specifics, I’m three degrees of separation from Jon Gruden. My connection asked him what was going on and he told him that (1) Tennessee was not happening, and (2) the only jobs he’d consider would be the Bucs or the Raiders, depending on when either job opens up.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Did Fisher ever move with the team to LA at any point? Or did they fire him before that happened? Curious if he's already in LA.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dango Bango posted:

Did Fisher ever move with the team to LA at any point? Or did they fire him before that happened? Curious if he's already in LA.

Yeah, he was there last year. Amazing the difference a year makes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dango Bango posted:

I know he was photographed at a grocery store in Montana like a week ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

He’s was the coach last year. Because what better way to endear yourself to an extremely uninterested new market than with the excitement of Jeff Fisher?

I don’t think he’s in LA, but he’s from here and played at USC so he always inevitably gets mentioned when jobs at one of the local teams open up. UCLA isn’t as good a job as people want to pretend it is because of location (it’s like west coast Illinois in that regard) but it can obviously do way better than Fisher

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 20, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/ThatsJustNelson/status/932083340387041282

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dango Bango posted:

Yes, he was here last season and is originally from LA (and he played at USC)

EDIT: And yeah, UCLA football is way less funded than most people expect, it is a distant second in the eyes of the donors behind basketball. They didn't even have a full length practice field until a few years ago (it was only 75 yards long before)

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 20, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

nice

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

nate fisher posted:

(I can't imagine any coach interviewing before season ends)

I'm going to save everyone a lot of salt by saying yes it does happen, and in the group of 5 it's standard practice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aside from that visual, he's singing into a microphone attached to a plunger?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

I'm going to save everyone a lot of salt by saying yes it does happen, and in the group of 5 it's standard practice.

Seriously this is par for the course with any G5 coach looking to move up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao ok i'm convinced Bill Snyder's just loving with people now

FBScoop posted:

Bill Snyder was the center of one of the biggest coaching stories last week when Brett McMurphy reported Kansas State officials arranged a head-coach-in-waiting situation with then-Colorado defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, which fell through at the eleventh hour when Snyder nixed the deal.

Sources later told us that no such deal was ever in place.

Kansas State eventually released this statement:

As has been the case and stated many times, Coach Snyder is our football coach and will remain coach until he decides otherwise.

Snyder appeared on the Big 12 teleconference Monday and confirmed a different story, one that no one ever reported: that he attempted to hire Leavitt as Kansas State’s linebackers coach after Leavitt had already joined the Oregon staff.

“I appreciate Jim a great deal,” Snyder said, via the Wichita Eagle. “He has always been a close friend, and I would love to have had him here as a position coach, but I didn’t have a coordinator spot for him, so I couldn’t offer him that.”

Snyder didn’t explain when the offer occurred, but the logical time would be after linebackers coach Mike Cox left the staff in mid-March.

While assuredly made with good intentions, the offer is so bizarre it borders on insulting to Leavitt.

Leavitt signed a 4-year contract at Oregon in December that pays him $1.15 million annually, making him the highest-paid Pac-12 assistant coach on record. Cox earned $305,000 a year as K-State’s linebackers coach.

Snyder’s story Monday is just another bizarre chapter into Kansas State’s already uneven process of identifying his successor — eventually.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Chip Kelly scared AF of Saban lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

lmao ok i'm convinced Bill Snyder's just loving with people now

What was it Leavitt got in trouble for again? Punching a player or something?

Or was he the guy who was in charge when someone with the sickle cell trait ran themselves to death?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

What was it Leavitt got in trouble for again? Punching a player or something?

Or was he the guy who was in charge when someone with the sickle cell trait ran themselves to death?

Player abuse. He allegedly hit one of his players and then tried to cover it up and interfere with the university’s investigation of it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah he punched a kid at halftime of a game I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It was reported he shoved him up against a locker. But given they gave him like 4 mil in the wrongful termination suit, who knows.

The kid's dead now so that sucks too.

• Locked thread