Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Finally got to see John Wick 2, and in the scene where he's got the shotgun out, he fires 11 times without reloading. That seems like an oversight for a realistic movie, but Wick had a shell on the carrier for a ghost load. That's a decently obscure shooting technique, but of course a movie starring a ridiculously good 3-gun shooter would have it.

I also really liked the sequence just before that: https://youtu.be/HsDV7nNftAM?t=2m22s

At the beginning you see Wick reloading exactly four shells, and one of the mooks jumps out of frame into cover towards the right. Wick moves forward, and I still remember that when I was watching it for the first time, I was thinking "Wait, isn't there a guy still hiding at the right?". And yes, at that exact moment that guy we saw hiding earlier jumps out at Wick. Then Wick fires the last three shells, aims at the last guy, and at that moment I thought "Wait, shouldn't that gun be empty?". And of course that's exactly when he pulls the trigger and it goes click. It's a really effective framing that lets the viewers follow the action easily and guides their expectations towards what's about to happen. That entire shootout start to finish is full of really dense and fast sequences with lots of movement, but you never once feel lost as to what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

I also really liked the sequence just before that: https://youtu.be/HsDV7nNftAM?t=2m22s

At the beginning you see Wick reloading exactly four shells, and one of the mooks jumps out of frame into cover towards the right. Wick moves forward, and I still remember that when I was watching it for the first time, I was thinking "Wait, isn't there a guy still hiding at the right?". And yes, at that exact moment that guy we saw hiding earlier jumps out at Wick. Then Wick fires the last three shells, aims at the last guy, and at that moment I thought "Wait, shouldn't that gun be empty?". And of course that's exactly when he pulls the trigger and it goes click. It's a really effective framing that lets the viewers follow the action easily and guides their expectations towards what's about to happen. That entire shootout start to finish is full of really dense and fast sequences with lots of movement, but you never once feel lost as to what's going on.

Yeah, the John Wick movies treat reloading as an actual part of the action sequence instead of just something they have to show so people don't bitch about realism. Having him pin the guy with the shotgun as he reloads was a great touch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We had a pretty long thread in CD about JW2 and the crazy lengths the filmmakers went to over all the little details. Here's an interview with the director and stunt co-ordinator talking about things like how they spent months just messing around with mirrors in a rented warehouse blocking out the fight scene in the mirror maze.

I also made some effort posts about the significance and the symbolism of the artworks that were prominently featured in the film.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I don't know how subtle it is but Justice League does a good job of addressing why Batman vs Superman ended the way it did (spoilers for both movies): At the end of BvS, Superman sacrifices himself to kill Doomsday by stabbing it with a kryptonite spear. A lot of people wondered why Wonder Woman couldn't have done it since she isn't, you know, affected by kryptonite, was standing right there and is usually portrayed to be in the same weight class as Superman, power-wise, or at least in the same ballpark. Justice League shows that she's not even close. JL's villain, Steppenwolf, can basically fight Flash, Aquaman, Batman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman to a stalemate but Superman runs him over like a freight train whenever he's not distracted saving civilians. Dianawouldn't even have gotten close to Doomsday or been strong enough to shove that spear through him.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Polaron posted:

I don't know how subtle it is but Justice League does a good job of addressing why Batman vs Superman ended the way it did (spoilers for both movies): At the end of BvS, Superman sacrifices himself to kill Doomsday by stabbing it with a kryptonite spear. A lot of people wondered why Wonder Woman couldn't have done it since she isn't, you know, affected by kryptonite, was standing right there and is usually portrayed to be in the same weight class as Superman, power-wise, or at least in the same ballpark. Justice League shows that she's not even close. JL's villain, Steppenwolf, can basically fight Flash, Aquaman, Batman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman to a stalemate but Superman runs him over like a freight train whenever he's not distracted saving civilians. Dianawouldn't even have gotten close to Doomsday or been strong enough to shove that spear through him.

Nah, it’s lovely they short-change WW.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nah, it’s lovely they short-change WW.

Agreed considering in her movie she fights an actual loving god. Also Steppenwolf is defeated the first time by Zeus (and everyone I guess). So gods can’t take on Steppen and Diana can kill gods.

JL is so bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Notably though she defeats Ares in her movie by redirecting his own power back at him with her bracers, and not through her own strength.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Now can someone explain how they kill Doomsday by pushing the spear already embedded in his chest through him, so the kryptonite is outside his body?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because it was a poorly written movie?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because it's a King Arthur reference.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

Every character in every fictional work is precisely as powerful as they are depicted during any particular scene. A character being shat on in a particular scene isn't due to any particular statistics attached to some "real" or "true" version of the character; it's because some writer wanted to poo poo on that character.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Somfin posted:

Every character in every fictional work is precisely as powerful as they are depicted during any particular scene. A character being shat on in a particular scene isn't due to any particular statistics attached to some "real" or "true" version of the character; it's because some writer wanted to poo poo on that character.

Now thats entirely unfair.

Sometimes it's because they want to inflate the importance of one instead.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had a pretty long thread in CD about JW2 and the crazy lengths the filmmakers went to over all the little details. Here's an interview with the director and stunt co-ordinator talking about things like how they spent months just messing around with mirrors in a rented warehouse blocking out the fight scene in the mirror maze.

I also made some effort posts about the significance and the symbolism of the artworks that were prominently featured in the film.

I'm reading through that thread now so I don't know if you mentioned it, but is there an explanation for why the sommelier is wearing this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Praseodymi posted:

I'm reading through that thread now so I don't know if you mentioned it, but is there an explanation for why the sommelier is wearing this?

Well poo poo, that's ..... weird.

From googling it seems that at least one other character in the movie was wearing it as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Do the comedy option some day - every superpowered hero in the group is taken out by the evil god, then the team's equivalent of Black Widow or Hawkeye beats the baddie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

Do the comedy option some day - every superpowered hero in the group is taken out by the evil god, then the team's equivalent of Black Widow or Hawkeye beats the baddie.

That's Squirrel Girl's raison d'etre.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, when hes around for more than 2 scenes in the sequel he'll get his rear end handed to him along with everyone else.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Was rewatching Riddick tonight and noticed that when they shot the dog with the tracking round, the console they used to follow its movements had options like "shock" and "detonate" on-screen, uses that are never touched on again in the movie.

I really appreciate when movies have actual, seemingly functional UI and uses for their gadgets. Definitely adds to the world-building and immersion.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

Was rewatching Riddick tonight and noticed that when they shot the dog with the tracking round, the console they used to follow its movements had options like "shock" and "detonate" on-screen, uses that are never touched on again in the movie.

I really appreciate when movies have actual, seemingly functional UI and uses for their gadgets. Definitely adds to the world-building and immersion.

Quantum of Solace has a great moment for this, when bond is spelling Dominic Greene's surname for his mates in HQ. He gets to "g....r....double e" and the fancy schmancy computer briefly flickers "grw" before switching to "gree". Very nice detail.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I animate a lot of mock-up UI for business presentations and stuff, and that kind of poo poo is my absolute jams. Tiny details like that make everything seem so much more grounded.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well poo poo, that's ..... weird.

From googling it seems that at least one other character in the movie was wearing it as well.

Looking at it closely, it seems like maybe it's meant to evoke that image but without literally being the same(i.e. I think the swastika has been left out of the one in the movie, but I can't be 100% sure with the shots I'm seeing from a GIS). So maybe a way to subtly imply that this dude must have done some pretty bad poo poo to end up as the full-time sommelier of the Continental? It makes sense that the place would be full of mass murderers and war criminals, it's a club where the members are the most effective killers in the world.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

That's Squirrel Girl's raison d'etre.

Squirel girl once beat doctor doom by chewing through his power lines. :allears:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Agent355 posted:

Squirel girl once beat doctor doom by chewing through his power lines. :allears:

Hasn't squirrel girl beaten like every major baddie?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Her superpower is being slightly stronger than her opponent, so I imagine she has.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Basebf555 posted:

Looking at it closely, it seems like maybe it's meant to evoke that image but without literally being the same(i.e. I think the swastika has been left out of the one in the movie, but I can't be 100% sure with the shots I'm seeing from a GIS). So maybe a way to subtly imply that this dude must have done some pretty bad poo poo to end up as the full-time sommelier of the Continental? It makes sense that the place would be full of mass murderers and war criminals, it's a club where the members are the most effective killers in the world.

Antipartisan actions on the ostfront were probably a lot more hazardous in a world where everybody in nyc is an assassin. Suddenly stop and frisk seems like a good idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DandyLion posted:

Hasn't squirrel girl beaten like every major baddie?

She's beaten Thanos and Ultron for sure. And I think she once averted an attack by Galactus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

She's beaten Thanos and Ultron for sure. And I think she once averted an attack by Galactus.

She's good buddies with Galactus and he gave her an open invitation to become his herald if she ever felt like it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Squirrel Girl sounds like the most ridiculous superhero in the best kind of way. It's like they realized how silly her gimmick is and thought gently caress it, let's go all out and make her the best ever.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The important thing with Squirrel Girl is that her first tactic is to talk to the adversary in question and see why they're doing what they're doing and try to resolve the situation through constructive dialogue first. She's the best and it's legit one of Marvel's best books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taeke posted:

Squirrel Girl sounds like the most ridiculous superhero in the best kind of way. It's like they realized how silly her gimmick is and thought gently caress it, let's go all out and make her the best ever.

Before her recent comic, she wasn't interesting at all. She was a joke character, but her joke wasn't funny.

The new comic is really good though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

at&t girl is playing her and I think that's really good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All I've seen of her solo comic is really awful art.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aphrodite posted:

Notably though she defeats Ares in her movie by redirecting his own power back at him with her bracers, and not through her own strength.

Her bracers aren't actually magic. At least it was never mentioned in the movie. They seem to act more as a focus for her. Remember the whole point of the WW movie was she's the weapon, not the sword. Making it "her bracers defeated him" kind of undermines that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like in Stranger than Fiction is how the characters reactions to the situation contrast incredibly sharply - the doomed character embraces his death with a deterministic perspective after realising that it is the perfect ending, not only to the story but to his very life, one that will never be surpassed, his goofy comical Ally coldly orders him to let things happen, acting like he has no personal stake, like he sees Harold as nothing more than a character without whom a great story will collapse and the author, distanced by her status as a hermit and otherwise cold and frustrated at her failure to kill him early in the movie has a massive existential breakdown when faced with the idea of actually killing someone, especially someone she has grown to personally like. I also like that she asks The Question - Has This Happened Before? How Many Times Have I Killed Someone? The contrast is key even in their conversation during the ending - when she admits that she couldn't go through with it, Jules Hilbert's reaction is to question that with "Because he's real?" with his tone implying that that isn't a good enough reason for him.

It's a very interesting interplay.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I like in Stranger than Fiction is how the characters reactions to the situation contrast incredibly sharply - the doomed character embraces his death with a deterministic perspective after realising that it is the perfect ending, not only to the story but to his very life, one that will never be surpassed, his goofy comical Ally coldly orders him to let things happen, acting like he has no personal stake, like he sees Harold as nothing more than a character without whom a great story will collapse and the author, distanced by her status as a hermit and otherwise cold and frustrated at her failure to kill him early in the movie has a massive existential breakdown when faced with the idea of actually killing someone, especially someone she has grown to personally like. I also like that she asks The Question - Has This Happened Before? How Many Times Have I Killed Someone? The contrast is key even in their conversation during the ending - when she admits that she couldn't go through with it, Jules Hilbert's reaction is to question that with "Because he's real?" with his tone implying that that isn't a good enough reason for him.

It's a very interesting interplay.

One of my favorite movies. There's so much to analyze and so much subtle mastery built into the movie. Its also one of those mirrored movies I believe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

How do you mean a Mirrored Movie? I've never heard of that term.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BioEnchanted posted:

How do you mean a Mirrored Movie? I've never heard of that term.

I'm surely mislabeling it, but its where the first half of the scenes are played in reverse order in the second half (in a general fashion). For example, First scene of the movie opens with a shot of the watch ->last scene ends with a shot of the watch. Second scene a shot of the apple in front of bowler man painting, second to last scene shows him eating an apple dressed like the bowler hat man...etc.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm pretty sure the term is chiastic structure and it's pretty cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Say what you will about Justice League. It's certainly not as well-written a movie as it could be, but then none of the DC movies are except I guess Wonder Woman.

It hit me right in the nostalgia feels though. Hard. Danny Elfman kicked all sorts of rear end with the score, and I am someone who usually doesn't notice that sort of thing. When the Batman 89 and BtaS theme broke in and the Christopher Reeve superman theme too whooo boy they knew what I needed to hear really deep down to get me to give a poo poo. Not to mention the little TT callout Booyah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm pretty sure the term is chiastic structure and it's pretty cool.

Awesome, I was looking for this term!