Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

PUBG isn't any of these things though and deserves nothing :colbert:

pubg is a legit phenomenon dude whether or not we like it doesn’t really enter into the matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the title "Game of the Year" immediately brings to mind all-encompassing, epic AAA everygames but I don't think there's any inherent reason why a multiplayer game couldn't win the award if it was novel and inventive enough. I don't think PUBG is any of those things though and 2017 has many other candidates for that category, although there is obviously a difference between someone's personal favorite and GOTY in the posterity sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean Overwatch won one billion GOTY awards last year and its just a TF2 clone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Of course. Best =/= broadest appeal, but GOTY probably shouldn't be something with extremely narrow appeal. One might enjoy Horizon for the story, or for the combat, or for the exploration. It doesn't appeal to everyone. But it doesn't just do one niche thing.

Again, it'd be like saying FIFA is GOTY. I don't know how this is even controversial of me to say, unless it's more because it's Monday and some of you guys love oddium and hate me, which is fine too, whatever.

I mean GotY is not some objective decision. It is and always will be the game person/people saying it's the GotY thinks is GotY. Acting like the decision needs to have some sort of impartiality beyond just thinking it's a good game that you enjoyed is odd because it's not possible. Like you're basically saying that to determine if something is GotY you have to imagine people that might play the game and then assume what these imaginary people might or might not like.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

In Training posted:

I mean Overwatch won one billion GOTY awards last year and its just a TF2 clone.

Yeah but it was also finished working game that was actually released with actual like art assets and poo poo

Cowcaster posted:

pubg is a legit phenomenon dude whether or not we like it doesn’t really enter into the matter

It should matter for like a game award, for as little as that kind of thing matters. Make a "weird phenomenon of the year" award or a "most broken unreleased bullshit game of the year" award :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pubg is going to be the giant bomb game of the year, or mario/zelda. brad will vote for destiny 2 for soundtrack of the year over p5

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

It should matter for like a game award, for as little as that kind of thing matters. Make a "weird phenomenon of the year" award or a "most broken unreleased bullshit game of the year" award :colbert:

i’m right there with you that they shouldn’t give out awards to unfinished works but i think you’re operating under some serious misconceptions on how mainstream awards ceremonies work

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

goty is botw

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really have a problem with the most popular lowest common denominator type of thing winning GOTY, but it's lame when they scoop all the other categories, too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was just looking it up since we’re talking about it and dragon age inquisition won goty and best rpg of 2014 lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't really have a problem with the most popular lowest common denominator type of thing winning GOTY, but it's lame when they scoop all the other categories, too.

Well, any user-voting based voting is going to just be a popularity contest. There is really no way around that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

i’m right there with you that they shouldn’t give out awards to unfinished works but i think you’re operating under some serious misconceptions on how mainstream awards ceremonies work

:sigh: I know it's just disheartening to see PUBG sitting next to Mario Odyssey (or the other games too, I just use that one just because it's SO polished) as a legit option in this kind of thing (and like I said my own Game of the Year isn't even on the list, but man)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The legendary bear in mgsv has given my partner the most trouble of anything in our playthrough so far. :psyduck:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Well, any user-voting based voting is going to just be a popularity contest. There is really no way around that.

For fun, it would be cool to see the results normalized on total sales of the games. Maybe as a concession prize type of thing. With some minimum threshold to reduce outliers. So if a game sold 20 million copies and received 2 million votes for music of the year, and another game sold 2 million copies and received 1 million votes for music of the year, the first wouldn't win the concession prize or whatever.

I'm sure this idea has flaws because I just thought of it in between rounds of cuphead :cheerdoge:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

goty is the Joe & Mac Collection SNES cart coming out on Dec 15.

Could almost make a top ten of SNES games released this year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how many joe and mac games were there even, i thought there were like 2

is 2 enough for a collection

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

how many joe and mac games were there even, i thought there were like 2

is 2 enough for a collection

There are 3 and I think there was also sequel that didn't seem like a sequel because it had a new main character (called Congo's Caper).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Macaluso posted:

:sigh: I know it's just disheartening to see PUBG sitting next to Mario Odyssey (or the other games too, I just use that one just because it's SO polished) as a legit option in this kind of thing (and like I said my own Game of the Year isn't even on the list, but man)

Of course PUBG is an anathema to people on this forum who grew up on Nintendo and Playstation. It represents the rise of the modern game with its focus on online multiplayer gameplay, paid-alpha funding, streaming/influencers, live service updates, the growing Chinese market, and loot boxes. Super Mario Odyssey harkens back to an age where polished single-player games were king and shipping an unfinished buggy product was supposed to be a death sentence. The TGAs will be a battle for gaming's soul.

The winner will receive a lifetime supply of Mountain Dew.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What was the last boss of Joe and Mac 2 because the first one ended with you fighting Satan so I'm wondering where they went from there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

satan's brother, Zatan

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, it's not like Odyssey is exactly bug free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDnkWvnW3g

I am NOT saying this even close to compares to PUBG, I just wanted an excuse to post this video mostly.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

haveblue posted:

This is nothing, Fez won a bunch of awards before it was released in any form

I think Miegakure has to be the champion of preemptive game awards

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i was just looking it up since we’re talking about it and dragon age inquisition won goty and best rpg of 2014 lol

games was so bad in 2014 that I gave up on having a games PC cause nothing was fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah there's an NES Game, and 3 SNES games, one of which was called Congo's Caper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07778D1M5/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

By the way, it's not like Odyssey is exactly bug free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYDnkWvnW3g

Literally any game with a slightly bigger scope is going to have bugs.

The issue is whether the bugs are common and/or negatively effect the gameplay experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

GOTY is inherently a subjective thing anyway.

mkay cool so then why are yall jumping my rear end because my subjective opinion is that it's weird to call it GOTY. like i'm not even saying it's bad or wrong, because i don't actually give a poo poo, i'm just saying it's weird. GTA5 won a ton of GOTY awards, and i disagree with that, but i also see the logic in it.

going with "it's super popular so it makes sense" is fine but that just means you're on the side of giving album of the year to Ed Sheeran or w/e

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Literally any game with a slightly bigger scope is going to have bugs.

The issue is whether the bugs are common and/or negatively effect the gameplay experience.

See my edit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my favorite bug in pubg, is when something accidentally happens !! folks, what's the deal with sitting in fields

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could've sworn the end boss of joe and mac was an alien guts monster kind of like contra's alien lair and heart

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Phantasium posted:

Yeah there's an NES Game, and 3 SNES games, one of which was called Congo's Caper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07778D1M5/

Jesus wept

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

mkay cool so then why are yall jumping my rear end because my subjective opinion is that it's weird to call it GOTY. like i'm not even saying it's bad or wrong, because i don't actually give a poo poo, i'm just saying it's weird. GTA5 won a ton of GOTY awards, and i disagree with that, but i also see the logic in it.

going with "it's super popular so it makes sense" is fine but that just means you're on the side of giving album of the year to Ed Sheeran or w/e

I'm posting because I disagree with you and stating my reasons for it. What else am I supposed to do on an internet forum?

I also think pubg is a good game so I would have no problem with it winning GOTY even if it isn't my personal choice.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 20, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

i could've sworn the end boss of joe and mac was an alien guts monster kind of like contra's alien lair and heart

There was a big heart on the side of the screen that looked kind of like something from the end of contra because you were fighting Satan inside of a giant dinosaur for some reason

I think he kidnapped all the cavewomen and gave them to dinosaurs? That's a real Satan move.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

GOTY is BotW

BotW is GOTY

as it is now and ever shall be

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In any media there are always going to be products that are super popular versus critical darlings and niche titles that reach a lesser audience, yet are recognized for posterity reasons. I think this is a pretty uncontroversial statement and why we did not award GOTY to #1 phenom Pokemon Go in 2016 or timeless classic Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands in 2017. I don't care that PUBG is in consideration for its popularity as it is a phenomenon within its own right, but I am annoyed by its marketing as some scrappy underdog choice when it's financed by a large Korean publisher and only looks like it was made in 2008, despite requiring an UE4 capable system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMvuidVdYN4

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

GOTY is BotW

BotW is GOTY

as it is now and ever shall be

Nintendo should release one $120 cartridge that has both Zelda and Mario on it. Breath of Odyssey DX gently caress YOU GOTY EDITION

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pong GOTY 1972.

For real tho, my personal goaty this year is serious loving sam all over again, but in VR. I've always wanted to play stupidly over the top first person shooters in actual first person, and now they're here and they're the loving best.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

fallout 3 has a lot of issues but it has good radio songs

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
BotW was a good first attempt at the formula and I think enough people liked it that hopefully it takes off and they make Zelda 2 a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My goty will be whatever game I actually manage to finish this year. So far nobody has locked the spot, but Nier A is in the lead since I really only need to make the other choice at the end (after finishing all side quests).

• Locked thread