Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas March posted:

Yes because that's a thing that's never happened before. Totally no long history of politicians loving over minorities as soon as they become an inconvenience, no siree.
It'd be worth mentioning if it was something the American far left did, rather than just something every politician in US history has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Koalas March posted:

long history of politicians loving over minorities as soon as they become an inconvenience

You can just abbreviate this "DNC"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It'd be worth mentioning if it was something the American far left did, rather than just something every politician in US history has done.

I think part of the problem is people get defensive and assume we are only wary of the left loving us over, rather than politicians as a whole.

It happens every time, of course folks will be suspicious.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There are plenty of examples of minority rights being trampled on by left-wing organizations or movements outside of the Democratic party. There's a long and storied history of racist labour actions and the modern women's movement was largely in response to the misogyny and sexual violence that occured within the radical movement culture of the 60s and 70s.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Koalas March posted:

Yes because that's a thing that's never happened before. Totally no long history of politicians loving over minorities as soon as they become an inconvenience, no siree.
:mad: Yeah, well maybe if...

Koalas March posted:

I think part of the problem is people get defensive and assume we are only wary of the left loving us over, rather than politicians as a whole.

It happens every time, of course folks will be suspicious.
Okay. Fair enough.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the left is gonna get murdered by the state long before they get enough power to start screwing over minorities

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dunno if a significant portion of the left has a problem with PoC being suspicious of politicians in general, since the vast majority of leftists share that attitude.

What the left does have a problem with, however, is centrists who claim that PoC only are suspicious of leftists as a way of pretending that their own poo poo doesn't smell.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/OJutel/status/932454798934151168

wtf keith olberman? this poo poo is disgusting...

https://twitter.com/OJutel/status/932358563090931712

ditto dailykos...

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/18/1716798/-More-Photos-Emerging-From-Franken-Tweeden-s-USO-Tour-They-speak-for-themselves

quote:

Photo of them kissing. Tweeden has her arm around Franken. She sure doesn’t look repulsed here.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, this is getting really grim especially in the context of the rhetoric that was coming from that wing of the party just a few days prior.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's what happens when people base their politics on tribalism.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's what happens when people base their politics on tribalism.

It may be both tribalism and the that, maybe that very vocal group really didn't actually believe in much of the rhetoric they were spouting. At the core, I think that wing of the Democratic party, as I said in the past, wants the economic status quo and everything else is secondary including it seems issues like sexual harassment.

Furthermore, I was pretty bowled over that even a Democrat like Duckworth would be willing to accept tax cuts as long as repatriations (which are almost always fairly minor) goes to infrastructure. 30-40 years ago that would be something a relatively right-wing Republican would have proposed.

We are being boiled, the heat isn't set on low but the cover is on the pot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

this sounds hella sketchy

Why? Franken is an elected representative, and furthermore he's representing an entire state, it is about more than just one person's wishes at this point.

E: VVV Who's voting? I just think he should step down.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 20, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"If you vote against Franken you don't really care about the victim."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's also a real trip to see people slut shaming franken's accuser:

quote:

The one photo shows her grabbing a guitarist’s rear end. Look at the way her eyes and mouth are scrunched over toward the guy. She’s definitely grabbing his rear end.

dems are supposed to be above this disgusting behavior

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

dems are supposed to be above a lot of things and still manage to trip over that low bar, so why does this surprise you

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It looks like a second victim has come out against Al so those tweets are not going to have aged well after a day.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 20, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

As of this morning, there is a second accuser.

gently caress anyone who was :smug: about how he shouldn't resign. :argh:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Misogyny is not limited to the GOP, unfortunately.

Liberals and progressives may be more "enlightened" than the GOP on some issues but unfortunately that doesn't mean we don't have a lot of work to do.

Part of that work is removing guys like Franken.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Just about every sexual harassment, assault, or rape story that breaks against someone famous also winds up being just the first to make it into the news rather than a one-time incident. Whether its a position of power/fame protecting the person, police inaction, or survivors understandably prioritizing their recovery and reputations over prosecution, the first case brought to light is usually just one action in a steady line of such behavior that the offender has been getting away with for a long time.

Anddddd just as i was typing this up a new accusation has been brought against Franken

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/al-franken-inappropriate-touch-2010/index.html

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Also: it's important to know that this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not surprising that there is a long pattern of behavior in these cases.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
look at this full-hearted apology, this unreserved recognition of his fault:

quote:

"I take thousands of photos at the state fair surrounded by hundreds of people, and I certainly don't remember taking this picture," Franken said. "I feel badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected."

not even bothering to say it didn't happen, plus the old classic of "i'm sorry you feel that way"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the left is gonna get murdered by the state long before they get enough power to start screwing over minorities

cool cool

also being murdered by the state rn? minorities, especially left leaning ones

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

al franken is a pig and the people who defended him in d&d are also swine

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

stone cold posted:

al franken is a pig and the people who defended him in d&d are also swine

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
We're supposed to be the bigger party, right? Franken should just step down already.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Democrats need to Take the G.O.A.T

The answer is you cut it off before it's too late

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Katt posted:

Democrats need to Take the G.O.A.T

The answer is you cut it off before it's too late

GOAT has a different meaning where I'm from... Let's just stay I was loving stumped and flabbergasted for a sec. lol

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

oink oink the pigs are out in force

Oakland Martini posted:

I'm still firmly in favor of Franken NOT resigning. Punishment should be proportional. Molesting children is not in the same ballpark as surreptitiously grabbing an adult woman's butt for a second or taking a creepy photo. Yes, Franken is a creep. No, his behavior doesn't warrant expulsion from the Senate. Let MN voters decide what to do with Franken when he comes up for reelection.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

oink oink oink oink

Phoix posted:

Brace yourself for the worst Trump tweets of all time.

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/932632670928035840

Vladimir Putin posted:

IDK, are we going too far on these. I mean it sounds like he just made advances on his coworkers and was rejected. Maybe we should just make a rule not to consider your coworkers as potential romantic partners.

oink

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's remarkable watching Democratic party apologists pivoting away from "you can't trust the economic left, they're too willing to sideline women and minorities" toward "we must be pragmatic about men like Franken".

It's even more remarkable that this is happening literal days after people started acknowledging how gross the defense of Bill Clinton was.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

stone cold posted:

oink oink the pigs are out in force

stone cold posted:

oink oink oink oink

oink

:stonk:

jesus christ

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Thoguh posted:

That seems like a bit of a reach...

Republicans are gonna vote in a pedophile and the democrats are gonna tear down and push out Franken for not hoverhanding.

:geno:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Condiv posted:

:stonk:

jesus christ

oh yeah it’s super bad

as always

:sigh:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I guess after looking in the mirror, Dems figured maybe some added misogyny also wouldn't hurt.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

Misogyny is not limited to the GOP, unfortunately.

Liberals and progressives may be more "enlightened" than the GOP on some issues but unfortunately that doesn't mean we don't have a lot of work to do.

Part of that work is removing guys like Franken.

I've been saying for a long time that misogyny is one of, if not the largest, issue in politics. Many people shouted me down for it, or somehow made it about Nancy Pelosi. gently caress these pigs and their apologists. If you have this poo poo in your past it needs to be known that you will not be accepted to be a public representative. If you have participated in, or enabled these acts at all, you should resign now because they will be found out.

I called my D Senator today and expressed my wishes, and I also wrote a letter to the DNC, and tweeted Tom Perez. Do what you can to make sure the party knows this will not be tolerated.

There is a reckoning coming for these pigs, and it's a firestorm that hasn't even begun yet.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There’s definitely some pragmatic value in doing a full senate ethics investigation here before Franken resigns. Benefits could include:

1). Increases publicity and makes it more likely that additional victims come forward, if they exist. Would also encourage victims of other senators.
2). Forces a lot of uncomfortable conversations about the murky area between sexual harassment and sexual assault.
3). Forces other senators, particularly Republican ones, to go on the record describing Franken’s behavior as unbecoming of a senator and worthy of removal from the senate. This would be useful when this happens again.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heads up: :siren: A Thread About Sexual Assault, Consent, Survivors and Predators :siren:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

There’s definitely some pragmatic value in doing a full senate ethics investigation here before Franken resigns. Benefits could include:

1). Increases publicity and makes it more likely that additional victims come forward, if they exist. Would also encourage victims of other senators.
2). Forces a lot of uncomfortable conversations about the murky area between sexual harassment and sexual assault.
3). Forces other senators, particularly Republican ones, to go on the record describing Franken’s behavior as unbecoming of a senator and worthy of removal from the senate. This would be useful when this happens again.

in a shocking turn of events Jefferson "Biden would have won" Clay is opposed to sexual predators resigning from office

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Why do we need to investigate whether an admitted sexual predator is actually a sexual predator?

It seems to me there're people who are looking to justify the unjustifiable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

NewForumSoftware posted:

in a shocking turn of events Jefferson "Biden would have won" Clay is opposed to sexual predators resigning from office

Oh come on, I don’t even like JC and that’s not a fair reading. His first reason is that “so more victims can come forward” and he explicitly said “before he resigns.”

I don’t agree with waiting for the ethics committee but reading that post as pro-Franken is bad faith.

Besides there’s so many other bad opinions to poo poo on JC for. :colbert:

• Locked thread