Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I learned a good bit watching that dude's Youtube page last night, specifically his (old as hell but still valid I guess) video on how to Battleship. I wasn't ever really going for the Citadel hits before, so once I learned to adjust for that I was doing much better last night. I'm still only on the first US Battleship so I don't have a ton of control of where my shots are going, but noticed a big difference already. I need to read up on how to use the sights better to line up my shots, I've been getting better with estimating based on speed/direction/etc but don't know how to read the sights just yet. Other than that having a good time with the botes so far. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

explosivo posted:

I learned a good bit watching that dude's Youtube page last night, specifically his (old as hell but still valid I guess) video on how to Battleship. I wasn't ever really going for the Citadel hits before, so once I learned to adjust for that I was doing much better last night. I'm still only on the first US Battleship so I don't have a ton of control of where my shots are going, but noticed a big difference already. I need to read up on how to use the sights better to line up my shots, I've been getting better with estimating based on speed/direction/etc but don't know how to read the sights just yet. Other than that having a good time with the botes so far. :D

The Noster video in the OP still mostly applies. Turn on Alternative Interface and then learn the vague speeds of the ships you're shooting. Use the time from the interface to calculate the rough number of notches on the sight you want to lead. As a vaguely basic estimate I usually lead x1 to x1.25 for BBs x2 for cruisers and x3 to x4 for DDs. With that said my gunnery is only very slightly above average so I'm probably not the greatest judges of these things anyways.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The notches are seconds lead @20kts btw.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

orange juche posted:

The notches are seconds lead @20kts btw.

Its at 30 knots, but yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sometimes I just want to murder the loving idiots who play this game. I'm in my Independence, with a Zuiho on my team. Same duo on the other side. I'm running the 1/1/1 configuration.

Game starts, I put planes up and start to maneuver. Zuiho is just sitting where he spawned, not doing anything. I start sending out my planes, but carefully because he's still not doing anything. I started pinging him, still nothing. He FINALLY sends up his planes at the 4 minute mark, and just leaves them sitting in the air above his ships. I'm facing two carriers, trying to maneuver around their fighter cover to be able to do ANYTHING and between the very strong AA the enemy team are fielding and the absolute air superiority the enemy enjoy, I'm just getting chewed the gently caress up.

Long story short, by the time the shithead finally starts to play at the 8 minute mark, all my planes have been shot down. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Der Shovel posted:

Sometimes I just want to murder the loving idiots who play this game.

Speaking of. I was in a match today where we had a healthy points lead although we only had 1 base to their 2 and were down on ships. As we passed 950 points I pointed out that all we had to do was stay alive and we'd win. Horrified at the prospect of a victory my team sprung into action. Our FDG raced into an enemy base (B) to try and cap it, despite the fact that this caused him to sail broadside on at fairly short range the the stealthed Jap DD we had just seen there. He ate a wall of torps and exploded. Sadly, we were still winning, so our Neptune then heroically camped in his smoke while a Bismarck sailed in from 12km to 4. Rather than using the smoke to escape before he got to close he tried to brawl the Bismarck (well-known to be weak at close range) and promptly exploded.

I see that the DD who killed the FDG had moved in to cap C by this point, so I guess it didn't matter what the Neptune did, but he could have quite easily headed to C instead of waiting there to die. :argh:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 20, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Mogami sure is... something. That range in a tier 8 cruiser, paired with mediocre firing arcs on both its guns and torpedoes is a really perilous combination. You HAVE to get danger close to a lot of things, and you will absolutely get hit because you are not going to dodge every shell from a salvo at 15KM.

Good damage, ruins destroyers, gets citadel'd every time a battleship shoots at it. You can get things done if you can exploit terrain but holy poo poo playing that thing in open ocean must be some kinda nightmare.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hazdoc posted:

Thought it was 30 for the dynamic and 20 for the static?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Thought it was 30 for the dynamic and 20 for the static?

It is 20 for dynamic unless you know of a
USN non fast BB that gets above that. I dont care for static because i cant stand zoom that does adjust for angles. That said, their is a static I wish was dynamic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of. I was in a match today where we had a healthy points lead although we only had 1 base to their 2 and were down on ships. As we passed 950 points I pointed out that all we had to do was stay alive and we'd win. Horrified at the prospect of a victory my team sprung into action. Our FDG raced into an enemy base (B) to try and cap it, despite the fact that this caused him to sail broadside on at fairly short range the the stealthed Jap DD we had just seen there. He ate a wall of torps and exploded. Sadly, we were still winning, so our Neptune then heroically camped in his smoke while a Bismarck sailed in from 12km to 4. Rather than using the smoke to escape before he got to close he tried to brawl the Bismarck (well-known to be weak at close range) and promptly exploded.

I see that the DD who killed the FDG had moved in to cap C by this point, so I guess it didn't matter what the Neptune did, but he could have quite easily headed to C instead of waiting there to die. :argh:

Even more impressive is the Bismarck player knowing fully well that a static line of smoke would mean a torpedo trap and yet there he went anyways.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Finally finished the Monarch. It was tanky enough but I would have rather had the KGV's guns on it.

I'll probably wait a couple days in the unlikely case ships or modules or something get a discount for Black Friday before I buy the Lion.

But what do you think for the last upgrade (tier IX) slot? AAA increase or main battery range? Even with the Dunkirk captain the traverse is unfortunately too slow for the rof increase. I'm already leaning towards the earlier upgrade for main gun accuracy, and with the relative dearth of carriers on NA (not that im complaining) i'm thinking gun range even if I basically hate shooting over 20km.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

He’s talking about the standard reticule, which is 20 knots.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Mogami sure is... something. That range in a tier 8 cruiser, paired with mediocre firing arcs on both its guns and torpedoes is a really perilous combination. You HAVE to get danger close to a lot of things, and you will absolutely get hit because you are not going to dodge every shell from a salvo at 15KM.

Good damage, ruins destroyers, gets citadel'd every time a battleship shoots at it. You can get things done if you can exploit terrain but holy poo poo playing that thing in open ocean must be some kinda nightmare.

If the Mogami had longer range it'd be the most OP at tier ship in the game, there needs to be some risk attached to being able to absolutely wreck everything at tier 8

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 21, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
There is going to be a black Friday sale? I’m glad I saw this post. I literally just finished grinding the 20 million credits I needed to buy a Des Moines, which I unlocked last week.

Though, frankly, I have 8 Tier Xs already that I never play. I enjoy Tier IX, but Tier X has never really clicked with me, except the destroyers—but even those are frustrating with the perfusion of radar at Tiers 8+ .

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 21, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Community people seem to have gotten their hands on the Pan-Asian DDs and they seem like they're going to be very competitive.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

:puckout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaI8Jhy0-Y

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

If the Mogami had longer range it'd be the most OP at tier ship in the game, there needs to be some risk attached to being able to absolutely wreck everything at tier 8

I'm sure the Mogami is amazing when it gets down-tiered, but when you're only fighting 9s and 10s and BBs are raining poo poo on your head welp

I'm just glad I can cloak up and run if there isn't a DD or a CV spotting me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm sure the Mogami is amazing when it gets down-tiered, but when you're only fighting 9s and 10s and BBs are raining poo poo on your head welp

I'm just glad I can cloak up and run if there isn't a DD or a CV spotting me.

Every tier 8 cruiser gets completely and utterly clowned on when playing bottom tier, it's a class wide problem - adding a heal to the usual across the board increase in hp, dpm, range etc creates a gulf in capability, and that's just to tier 9. When you add in the crazy pants escalation of tier 10 cruisers, which are so far 2 utility DPM monsters and 3 just-about-battlecruisers, tier 8 cruisers are already overwhelmed even before you get to tier 10 battleships, with their 12 long range accurate guns and almost better detection ranges.

Except maybe Martel, but that's the benefit of being the newest member of the squad.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 21, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Every tier 8 cruiser gets completely and utterly clowned on when playing bottom tier, it's a class wide problem.

Except maybe Martel, but that's the benefit of being the newest member of the squad.

It's less a function of class, and more the fact that top tier maps skew heavily toward dogshit. They're good, but not so good you can't outplay them. You just don't have much room for tactics on something like Tears of the Desert. Do you have range and/or speed? No? Go gently caress yourself, 20KM battleships dictate the entire match.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's definitely class, irrespective of map cruisers are the only tier 8s that uniformly cannot compete in some fashion in a tier 10 environment. Battleships all still have 16" guns (except the Bismarck, which is noted to be the weakest when uptiered) that can reach and damage everything, still have their heals and AA, and destroyers can still stealth torp and smoke, and can successfully outgun higher tier DD opponents under numerous circumstances.

Cruisers? They got nothing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Community people seem to have gotten their hands on the Pan-Asian DDs and they seem like they're going to be very competitive.

They will be extremely competitive.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I honestly can't tell if this is a bot or just a moron.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

That's a bot.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I was genuinely disappointed when I discovered I'd waited too long and couldn't compliment him. I apologized for my tardiness and we talked for a short while.

Random pubbie, you were a breath of fresh air in a hurricane of farts.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I took a month and a half off. Anything happen in that time I should know about?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Finally finished the Monarch. It was tanky enough but I would have rather had the KGV's guns on it.

I'll probably wait a couple days in the unlikely case ships or modules or something get a discount for Black Friday before I buy the Lion.

But what do you think for the last upgrade (tier IX) slot? AAA increase or main battery range? Even with the Dunkirk captain the traverse is unfortunately too slow for the rof increase. I'm already leaning towards the earlier upgrade for main gun accuracy, and with the relative dearth of carriers on NA (not that im complaining) i'm thinking gun range even if I basically hate shooting over 20km.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but for my Lion/Conqueror i went Main battery mod 3. The Range is already good enough, the AA is good enough and the more damage i can throw out the better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm having a hard time in my Independence, but yesterday I realized that as I'm tier 6 now I can do strafing runs with my fighters and manually aim torpedos / bombs. I've only been practising on bots so far but all three seem extremely powerful, and of course are not explained or even exposed as game mechanics by the game in any way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao they have a sale bundle that has 45 premium ships in it. jesus gently caress

quote:

Armada Bundle - 489.99 USD

Albany- Tier II
Diana - Tier II
Emden - Tier II
Mikasa - Tier II
Smith - Tier II
Tachibana - Tier II
Aurora - Tier III
Campbeltown- Tier III
Katori - Tier III
Oleg - Tier III
Ishizuchi - Tier IV
Yubari - Tier IV
Giulio Cesare - Tier V
Krasny Krym - Tier V
Marblehead - Tier V

Murmansk - Tier V
Okhotnik - Tier V
Okt. Revolutsiya - Tier V
Texas - Tier V
Graf Spee - Tier VI
Anshan - Tier VI
Arizona- Tier VI
De Grasse- Tier VI
Duca d'Aosta- Tier VI
Dunkerque - Tier VI
Gallant- Tier VI
Molotov - Tier VI
Mutsu- Tier VI
Warspite - Tier VI
Atlanta - Tier VII

Blyskawica - Tier VII
Hood - Tier VII
Indianapolis - Tier VII
Kaga - Tier VII
Leningrad - Tier VII
Saipan - Tier VII
Scharnhorst - Tier VII
Sims - Tier VII
Alabama- Tier VIII
Atago - Tier VIII
Enterprise - Tier VIII
Kii - Tier VIII
Loyang- Tier VIII
Prinz Eugen - Tier VIII
Tirpitz - Tier VIII

45x Port Slots

"Armada Action" Flag

I see a few that are worth a drat, the rest are poo poo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 22, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

orange juche posted:

lmao they have a sale bundle that has 45 premium ships in it. jesus gently caress

What does it say about me that I own all but 6 of the ships on that list already?

Edit

I think it says this is an accurate representation of my relationship to Wargaming. :homebrew: :negative: :homebrew: :shepicide:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 22, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

^^ You might have a problem and may or may not breathe from a hole in your neck.

Lol that 90 days of premium is 15% off, but if you were to buy 2 of them the standard 180 days is still 30 cents cheaper.

Edit: Even more hilarious is the WoWS shop is the only one with the discount Neither WoWP nor WoT show that discount. Come on WG'ing make a year of premium half off again.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 22, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

^^ You might have a problem and may or may not breathe from a hole in your neck.

Lol that 90 days of premium is 15% off, but if you were to buy 2 of them the standard 180 days is still 30 cents cheaper.

I do not, in fact, breath through a hole in my neck... in fact, I actually go outside and am healthy...

Which makes me think you might be on to something when it comes to me having a problem. :pram:

Edit: In my defense I got half of these ships after buying $100 in Christmas crates last year.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 22, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Loot crates make sense. I lost the loot crate lotto unfortunately, but looking back at last years Thanksgiving stuff was way better than this years. Going to hope for better Christmas stuff I guess.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
They could've sold a bunch of those if they had included the Gremyaschy or the Imperator Nikolai. I still wouldn't have bought it (even because I already own the Gremyaschy), but at least it would've looked... Reasonable?

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Baltimore grind is painful, even considering I went through the old Pensacola twice and the old Mutsuki.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

New New Fresh posted:

Baltimore grind is painful, even considering I went through the old Pensacola twice and the old Mutsuki.

It is unless you division with a carrier and eat planes. It gets a little better when you get the gun reload, but not much.

The whole loving line starting with Pensacola (I too played the non-buffed one) was painful. I unlocked the Des Moines a week ago, but cannot yet afford the thing. It better be worth the pain.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

They could've sold a bunch of those if they had included the Gremyaschy or the Imperator Nikolai. I still wouldn't have bought it (even because I already own the Gremyaschy), but at least it would've looked... Reasonable?

I wasn't going to buy one of those bundles anyways, but without those two ships its pretty laughable. Likewise, if the Santa boxes don't give you a chance to win them (I have a Nikolai but no Gremy) then I won't be buying any of those either. Just noticed the armada deal does not include the Konig Albert either yeesh.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

New New Fresh posted:

I ground the Balti from stock. It was rough. However, fully upgraded it is pretty fun to play. With the reload mod you can get it spitting out shells at a decent rate that do solid damage for both the HE and AP.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

Try looking at the WoT one. Nearly $1000 and it doesn't even include most of the newer, OP tanks. Nor does it grant any special incentives like a "Mr. Moneybags" camo or emblem.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

I wasn't going to buy one of those bundles anyways, but without those two ships its pretty laughable. Likewise, if the Santa boxes don't give you a chance to win them (I have a Nikolai but no Gremy) then I won't be buying any of those either. Just noticed the armada deal does not include the Konig Albert either yeesh.

I don't think the Nikolai is what it used to be (I don't actually own it). The Iron Duke is so ridiculous that I'm pretty sure its better than the Nikolai.

Likewise, the fact that Tier 5's constantly face T7's these days probably means the Gremy isn't all that either. Wasn't it OP partially because it was one of the only sub-T8 ships that could stealth fire? It's probably still the best T5 DD but is it better than a Leningrad, Shiratsuyu, Maass or Sims? And the new Pan-Asian T7 looks completely mental going by Flamu's preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The nikolai is actually somewhat resistant to the RN BB HE extravaganza because it has thick plating pretty much all over.