Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

teagone posted:

In the PS4's audio settings — not the Plex app settings — can you check to make sure it's not set to like 5.1 or Dolby Surround? Can you force the PS4 audio settings to output stereo instead? If no setting like that is available in the PS4 settings, in that case poke around the Plex app settings and see if you can force stereo audio. Since you have a 2.0 setup, it'd make sense to have your server transcode 5.1 audio tracks to 2.0 stereo. Your server will see minimal impact on performance when just transcoding audio streams.

My PS4 is set to Linear PCM. As far as I can tell it's outputting in stereo because literally everything else sounds fine.

I don't really know how to force the server to transcode the 5.1 track to 2.0. I just play the file and for everything but DTS, it sounds fine.

I'll re-rip/re-compress Dredd and see if I screwed something up. Maybe I picked the wrong audio track when I was ripping it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Here are some instructions to force the PS4 to output in 2.0, just Linear PCM alone may not: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/knowledgebase/articles/420396-incorrect-channel-configuration

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oldstench posted:

My PS4 is set to Linear PCM. As far as I can tell it's outputting in stereo because literally everything else sounds fine.

I don't really know how to force the server to transcode the 5.1 track to 2.0. I just play the file and for everything but DTS, it sounds fine.

I'll re-rip/re-compress Dredd and see if I screwed something up. Maybe I picked the wrong audio track when I was ripping it before?

It just seems like your PS4 is trying to output a center channel audio stream with DTS tracks when you don't actually have a center channel speaker present, hence the muted dialogue. In the Plex app settings, under 'Audio' is the Channels setting set to stereo? What's the Device Type set to, HDMI or Basic? HDMI will give you a subset of options to choose from like AC3/EAC3/DTS, etc. I'm unfamiliar with what settings are available in the Plex app on the PS4 since I don't have one, so I'm just going off the Plex Media Player app on my PC.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dem Bones posted:

Here are some instructions to force the PS4 to output in 2.0, just Linear PCM alone may not: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/knowledgebase/articles/420396-incorrect-channel-configuration

Thanks. I'll try that.

teagone posted:

It just seems like your PS4 is trying to output a center channel audio stream with DTS tracks when you don't actually have a center channel speaker present, hence the muted dialogue. In the Plex app settings, under 'Audio' is the Channels setting set to stereo? What's the Device Type set to, HDMI or Basic? HDMI will give you a subset of options to choose from like AC3/EAC3/DTS, etc. I'm unfamiliar with what settings are available in the Plex app on the PS4 since I don't have one, so I'm just going off the Plex Media Player app on my PC.

The PS4 Plex app is really bare-bones. It only has a checkbox to allow Dolby Digital in audio settings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oldstench posted:

The PS4 Plex app is really bare-bones. It only has a checkbox to allow Dolby Digital in audio settings.

Well RIP that, lol. Yeah, try what Dem Bones suggested and see if that forces your server to transcode the DTS 5.1 audio stream down to 2.0 stereo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

teagone posted:

Well RIP that, lol. Yeah, try what Dem Bones suggested and see if that forces your server to transcode the DTS 5.1 audio stream down to 2.0 stereo.

At this point I'm thinking I'll just keep the DTS Passthru option for audio stream 1 and create a 2nd audio stream mixed down to AAC stereo so I can upgrade later.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

bobfather posted:

Does anyone use Plex DVR with their HDHomeRun device and like it?

I've read that it can be a bit finicky, both when viewing live and recording. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I've been having a hell of a time getting Plex to send me offers to get Plex Pass for $75 lifetime. Apparently some people were getting emails to this effect. Anyone have any tips to make that happen?

I use Plex DVR with an HDHomerun Prime. It's about as good of a solution that I have run across for someone who wants to put zero effort into making the thing work. You essentially point it at the HDHomerun device and it handles the rest. I think it's my fourth go at homespun DVR, but also by far the easiest to set up. I have used TVHeadend (Terrible), NextPVR (slightly less terrible), MythTV (terrible). Since the guide data is included in the Plex Pass, the Plex Pass deal is actually pretty good. I have not put much effort into trying to watch live TV on it, and just use the HDHomerun App instead. The non-grid view works fine for me, it helps identify TV or Movies that are similar for the one I searched for, which has led me to record more things than not.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've all but retired my HTPC because of Plex Live TV. As mentioned, the lack of grid sucks. The built-in filters to help are kind of klunky and the only thing that really helps is just disabling channels you know you never watch anyway. Live TV/DVR management is not universal. You can do it on Android TV, Fire TV, and Apple TV. Last I checked with my Roku I think it was only Live TV and DVR management. Don't know about consoles and the plex app on my Smart TV certainly doesn't have it

Yeah, you need something that has hardware MPEG2 support. The new Fire TV dongle does not (although Amazon said it will be enabled in the next update). For a bunch of cable TV channels this isn't a problem, but anything 1080 (espcially sports) will result in a bunch of freezing. I set the max bitrate on the server to 8mbps to force transcoding and things are better. Also you can enable the DVR to automatically re-encode recordings to mpeg4 but the quality drop is noticeable. Don't bother using the hardware transcoder support, it looks terrible and has all sorts of playback issues.

Recording reliability has been fine. The guide is way less finicky than WMC7 was (guide failing to update, guide "updating" but list not refreshing, some Windows DRM policy going weird and me having to go in an clean out some random program/system files).

It's just the guide really sucks if you are using it for cable tv. For finding shows to record it's ok, but it actively discourages you from wanting to watch Live TV unless you already know the time and channel something is on. And you can't start watching a recording show in progress like WMC7. But you can pause and record in progress Live TV

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I see that they've added Google Assistant support. I hope Google Home support is added soon.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I got the email about a cheap Plex pass so I finally bit. Not really craving any of the features yet but I guess I can have fun in the dev update channel and start looking at dvr live TV options..

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Roundboy posted:

I got the email about a cheap Plex pass so I finally bit. Not really craving any of the features yet but I guess I can have fun in the dev update channel and start looking at dvr live TV options..

What's cheap? I'm showing $119 in my options right now where I thought it was regularly $149.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The sync feature is a handy thing to have. I originally just used it for easily getting stuff for offline play but the transcode option means I never have to use Handbrake anymore to cram as many movies as I can onto a kid tablet

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TraderStav posted:

What's cheap? I'm showing $119 in my options right now where I thought it was regularly $149.

$75 for lifetime, so I took the bait. I feel they will probably add more features I might like down the line

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Roundboy posted:

$75 for lifetime, so I took the bait. I feel they will probably add more features I might like down the line

At $75 I would as well, if I get the email. If not for the value, for funding a project that I and my family use ALL THE TIME. But also need to justify how long I'll wait. At $5/mo, my $120 starts making sense earlier.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Does anyone using Plex DVR have their just stop recording poo poo after a few days until the server gets restarted? poo poo is getting annoying.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Does anyone using Plex DVR have their just stop recording poo poo after a few days until the server gets restarted? poo poo is getting annoying.

Nope haven't had that issue

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
[quote="TheScott2K" post="47859596
2"]
[/quote]

Nope, my issue is Plex not starting on Windows 10 restarts/ patch/ reboots. I even have a scheduled task set up, and that doesn't work. It's damned annoying

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If anyone wants the $75 coupon for plex pass lemme know. I got it as well but will never use it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

If anyone wants the $75 coupon for plex pass lemme know. I got it as well but will never use it.

I do, please email my username at gmail!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've got a couple weird things happening all of a sudden I'm going to have to look into.

On my android app I'm getting the little down arrow indicating I have a synced version of a bunch of stuff that isn't synced. I can choose to play the synced version from the triple dot menu (what is this called?) on the page for the video, it opens some weirdly named mp4 file that's just numbers and an underscore (or tries to) and I just see black.

In my web client the dashboard doesn't show up. It's just an empty page until I scroll down. When I touch the scale slider at the top right everything pops in.

It's weird.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I do, please email my username at gmail!

Sent, enjoy!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

Sent, enjoy!

Couldn't use it, looks like they're tied to your account. Interesting as it says that it doesn't apply to existing subscriptions, so if I have the $5 pass will I not ever get the email or be able to use it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Couldn't use it, looks like they're tied to your account. Interesting as it says that it doesn't apply to existing subscriptions, so if I have the $5 pass will I not ever get the email or be able to use it?

Ah, I don’t have any subscriptions so I bet anyone who has a sub won’t get it as they try to get new subs.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Would this be enough to host a transcoding Plex Server if that was all it was doing?

I'd be transcoding 720p and 1080p files with subtitles, mostly, max 2 streams (but realistically almost always 1).

Also, is there a way to make it so Plex knows which files are supported by a client and can be directly served, and which need to be transcoded, or is it an all-or-nothing type deal to a particular client? Like a PS4 can handle mp4 files natively, but not Hi10 mkv files with formatted subtitles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plex knows what the clients can take.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Does the Plex Alexa skill work with the Plex Kodi plugin thing that basically hijacks Kodi?

Also does anyone actually use that thing? I have a HTPC that I like for movies vs my roku because it's more reliable and supports more audio formats. Right now I'm using the PlexKodi connect but I'm going to be making the apartment "smarter" and the Alexa stuff seems neat.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Get a Shield and stop using Kodi, which is bad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TheScott2K posted:

Get a Shield and stop using Kodi, which is bad.

No.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anyone able to download this version (or the fix)? I don’t see any option to toggle. Does it retroactively remove the commercials?

plex posted:

Plex Media Server 1.10.0.4516 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel

NEW:

(Web) Updated Plex Web to 3.27.1
(DVR) Added functionality to remove commercials from recorded content (#5633)
(Live) Added the ability to seek within an active recording, with client support (#7270)
(Transcoder) Support for hardware decoding of 10-bit HEVC (#7738)
FIXES:

(DVR) A server's first recording of LATM-packetized AAC could fail (#7875)
(DVR) An issue where poor-quality signal could cause recordings to "stick", reporting as 100% complete (#7606)
(DVR) New Episodes Tonight hub now correctly starts at 7pm local time (#7614)
(DVR) Recordings could hang if the tuner lost its signal lock (#7606)
(DVR) Some DVB subtitles weren't recorded (#7700)
(Extras) Fixed extras regression in previous release (#7821)
(Hubs) Speed up music and TV hubs.
(Metadata) Add support for absolute ordering in TV episode filenames (#7159)
(On Deck) Fix a fairly large slowdown introduced recently (#7824)
(Streaming Brain) Correct bitrate restricted playback of some channel content (#7452)
(Streaming Brain) Corrected playback when ABR is requested but server limits streams to 320kbps (#7706)
(Transcoder) Fixed soft subs not appearing in some cases (#7597)
(Transcoder) Hardware encoding had reduced quality on Windows with Intel GPUs in some cases (#7887)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Would this be enough to host a transcoding Plex Server if that was all it was doing?

I'd be transcoding 720p and 1080p files with subtitles, mostly, max 2 streams (but realistically almost always 1).

Yes, that HP desktop would be fine as a Plex server, though it looks like it's out stock atm.

quote:

Also, is there a way to make it so Plex knows which files are supported by a client and can be directly served, and which need to be transcoded, or is it an all-or-nothing type deal to a particular client? Like a PS4 can handle mp4 files natively, but not Hi10 mkv files with formatted subtitles.

Plex knows, but sometimes there might be a setting or two you might need to change in a client app in order to get the best possible playback. And ideally you don't want any transcoding done in a local setup, but since you mentioned Hi10 encoded files, transcoding will be required if a PS4 is your primary client device. Quick search shows the PS4 hardware supports the following containers/codecs natively:

MKV
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

AVI
Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2

MP4
Audio: AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

MPEG-2 TS
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
Audio: MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

So basically any files you have that will contain a DTS/FLAC audio track and/or a 10-bit video encode, or an H264 encoded video above level, your server will have to transcode those files in order for them be to played back in the Plex app on your PS4. As mentioned above, that HP desktop would be able to handle that job no problem.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2017

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Yes, that HP desktop would be fine as a Plex server, though it looks like it's out stock atm.

Plex knows, but sometimes there might be a setting or two you might need to change in a client app in order to get the best possible playback. And ideally you don't want any transcoding done in a local setup, but since you mentioned Hi10 encoded files, transcoding will be required if a PS4 is your primary client device. Quick search shows the PS4 hardware supports the following containers/codecs natively:

MKV

AVI
Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2

MP4
Audio: AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)

MPEG-2 TS
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
Audio: MP2(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)

So basically any files you have that will contain a DTS/FLAC audio track and/or a 10-bit video encode, or an H264 encoded video above level, your server will have to transcode those files in order for them be to played back in the Plex app on your PS4. As mentioned above, that HP desktop would be able to handle that job no problem.

Thanks for the detailed info, although I'm pretty sure PS4 doesn't support .rear end subtitles, so pretty much any video with those will need to be transcoded.

Hopefully that model will come back in stock by Thursday, or another ivy bridge refurb eventually goes on sale.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the detailed info, although I'm pretty sure PS4 doesn't support .rear end subtitles, so pretty much any video with those will need to be transcoded.

Hopefully that model will come back in stock by Thursday, or another ivy bridge refurb eventually goes on sale.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that PS4 only supports SRT formatted subtitles. So you're correct, any videos you have with .rear end subtitles selected will require the server to transcode the file with the subs burned in.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that PS4 only supports SRT formatted subtitles. So you're correct, any videos you have with .rear end subtitles selected will require the server to transcode the file with the subs burned in.

Would an i3-3300 still make it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Would an i3-3300 still make it?

Yeah, that i3-2120 should be fine for a single 1080p video transcode or two concurrent 720p video transcodes.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Was there ever a consensus on what DVR option / hardware works best overall ? Now that I picked up a PlexPass i might as well explore all the options offered within.

I have no cable option, this would be pure OTA only, and looking at the comparability page the HD Homerun seems to work with my Plex server (Linux) or my more likely upstairs location (Shield)

Am I in for a lot of back and forth or troubleshooting ?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did I miss out on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the plex pass? I had done a single mont subscription to see how I liked the apps and other features and would get a lifetime pass if it was a nice deal..

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

priznat posted:

Did I miss out on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the plex pass? I had done a single mont subscription to see how I liked the apps and other features and would get a lifetime pass if it was a nice deal..

Some people are randomly getting $75 lifetime offers. I'm a person that would do that in a minute, but I haven't gotten that email from them yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bobfather posted:

Some people are randomly getting $75 lifetime offers. I'm a person that would do that in a minute, but I haven't gotten that email from them yet.

Yah I’d go for that too, and now that I’ve heard of it having to pay more is almost a no go :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

priznat posted:

Yah I’d go for that too, and now that I’ve heard of it having to pay more is almost a no go :(

Supposedly logging into plex.tv, adding the lifetime membership to your cart, and then not checking out has resulted in some people getting the offer. Whether it's related or not I couldn't say, but it couldn't hurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is it unreasonable to ask family to use a Roku, Shield TV or other client that supports direct stream/direct play so I don't need to transcode for them instead of their lovely Apple TV or Chromecasts that transcode everything? I'd like to keep offering them my library at no charge as long as it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg in electricity above and beyond what it would normally take for my computer to run all day.

I've taken to limiting my transcodes to 1 max at a time because I don't have a dedicated HTPC for it but I share my library with 8+ people. I have 250 Mbps upload speed and I assume it's much easier on my computer to feed a direct stream/play to them if their networks can handle it than a 720p or 1080p transcode? Also, I assume audio transcoding is not too intensive?