Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

comedyblissoption posted:

this is the same argument of kings and queens and autocrats. the masses cannot be expected to make important decisions, so a privileged elite must do it for them.

The key is that there is a middle-ground between total direct democracy and random autocrats called a republic, where the people select experts to do the management.

Ownership and management are separate things. A company can be owned by its workers without being directly managed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

this is the same argument of kings and queens and autocrats. the masses cannot be expected to make important decisions, so a privileged elite must do it for them.

if you've paid attention to american politics over the past 40 years, you might notice that the capitalists have used their influence to make terrible decisions for everyone else just so that they would benefit in the short term. many of these terrible policies (e.g. mass offshoring jobs at the expense of workers) would not have happened if there was actual democracy in the united states.

Turning the reins over to the workers is a loving terrible idea and it's how you get things like the purges in Cambodia where everyone who isn't a peasant is murdered. The working class is primarily loving stupid and I can testify to this by virtue of being one of them for 25 years. You actually DO need educated people detached from the day to day drama of the workplace to manage it. There's a difference between management and royalty.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nut to Butt posted:

Hrmm, I guess the solution is to give more power and control to the people actively participating in this plunder, allowing them to further circumscribe our freedom for their profit.

Or we could craft minimalist laws with public choice theory in mind, and not assume that bureaucrats and politicians are (:lol:) angels.

what are you even talking about dude, what is this implicit assumption that reform will leave the exact same people in power

like, that's why you have to eat them

chris christie's bloated corpse alone would provide food security for at least three states, and you could use cory booker shavings on top for some more jersey spice

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Get rid of the capitalist altogether. Start worker co-ops where the employees are their own boss and democratically make all the important economic decisions of the business. Stop submitting to a class rule where a tiny minority of people run your life and make all the important economic decisions of society.

You first

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Guys, just make this ridiculous pipe dream happen. Me? oh no I'm not going to do anything. But it's really easy to do, why hasn't anyone done it yet?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Like yeah, really, I want the black dude from Jamaica at work who's pro-Trump and calls Hillary "a loving oval office" at every opportunity, the guy who thinks the moon landing was faked, and the dude who sneaks back into the offices after hours to sleep on the couches to save on rent to all have an equal vote in the management of the product, that would be loving awesome.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
They say YouTube is programming against conservatives, but it must know me too well. It actually reccomends me a prageru video in the playlist while “gently caress Borders” plays on, and I’m not even subscribed. It knows what I need to stay in my bubble.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

What's wrong with the moon landing guy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Guys, just make this ridiculous pipe dream happen. Me? oh no I'm not going to do anything. But it's really easy to do, why hasn't anyone done it yet?

nobody cares

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Blue Train posted:

What's wrong with the moon landing guy

Let's just say it's not his only "out of the box" idea. Every day after work he cruises the entire base and checks the payphones for change. It takes him over an hour.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

new phone who dis posted:

Like yeah, really, I want the black dude from Jamaica at work who's pro-Trump and calls Hillary "a loving oval office" at every opportunity, the guy who thinks the moon landing was faked, and the dude who sneaks back into the offices after hours to sleep on the couches to save on rent to all have an equal vote in the management of the product, that would be loving awesome.

If you knew many corporate board members, I think you'd find that these are not really any worse than the people makign decisions for big companies right now

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrants" is kind of outdated

what do you guys think about "the belly of liberty must be fed with the flesh of the rich"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I know one guy on the board of a major tech company who literally has his assistant print out his e-mails for him to read

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

if you've paid attention to american politics over the past 40 years, you might notice that the capitalists have used their influence to make terrible decisions for everyone else just so that they would benefit in the short term. many of these terrible policies (e.g. mass offshoring jobs at the expense of workers) would not have happened if there was actual democracy in the united states.
The problem lies in the truth of that argument, and the solution is to establish a government so toothless as to be revolutionary (:911:), so that its decisions don't matter and people live their lives free from the depredations and petty tyranny of taxmen and other government-endorsed bandits.

I'm a radical (I think there should be mandatory sunset clauses in all laws, for example) but, to me, there's a huge difference between someone trying to gently caress you legally, and someone legally allowed to gently caress you.

World War Mammories posted:

what are you even talking about dude, what is this implicit assumption that reform will leave the exact same people in power

like, that's why you have to eat them

chris christie's bloated corpse alone would provide food security for at least three states, and you could use cory booker shavings on top for some more jersey spice
Power corrupts. It doesn't matter who's in charge. In recent years, they've been coming out with some interesting studies regarding how power fucks up your brain. So, to me, Occam's Razor dictates that we should strive for a society in which power is decentralized and diffuse amongst as many poles as possible, while still maintaining a cohesive national civic identity.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If you knew many corporate board members, I think you'd find that these are not really any worse than the people makign decisions for big companies right now

The system led by educated people isn't failing because they are educated. It's failing because it's corrupt, a problem encountered by even the most communist, worker-led paradise shitholes on the planet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I know one guy on the board of a major tech company who literally has his assistant print out his e-mails for him to read

i worked with someone who loves writing code to do really complicated stuff then printed out the results and gave people those instead of an email with the document

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Jose posted:

Has Peter daou come up a lot because smh if not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwPV1WaXVtk

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

an unshakeable faith in the works of ayn rand is who we need to lead the dumb proles

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Back to lols please.

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/932685522820042754

Barack had a completely "how do you do, fellow kids" today.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

it's a cartel of rent-seeking capitalists. and the reason there is not price transparency is because there is no democracy under capitalism. it's the same reason why your telly preaches the virtues of 'free markets' to you but you are literally banned from re-importing the exact same drugs that are sold here from Canada or the UK where the drugs are sold for much cheaper. 'free market' (and corporate welfare) for the capitalist. gently caress you for the worker.
Good, democracy is poo poo. My "telly" mostly preaches the virtues of loving brands and progressivism, which is related to why I haven't watched it in years.

I want to be able to import whatever Chinese research chemicals I want in my quest to see God, and anyone who stands in my way is my enemy. Smash the state.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Over There posted:

Back to lols please.

Finally, a war crime to surpass bush.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nut to Butt posted:

The problem lies in the truth of that argument, and the solution is to establish a government so toothless as to be revolutionary (:911:), so that its decisions don't matter and people live their lives free from the depredations and petty tyranny of taxmen and other government-endorsed bandits.

I'm a radical (I think there should be mandatory sunset clauses in all laws, for example) but, to me, there's a huge difference between someone trying to gently caress you legally, and someone legally allowed to gently caress you.

Power corrupts. It doesn't matter who's in charge. In recent years, they've been coming out with some interesting studies regarding how power fucks up your brain. So, to me, Occam's Razor dictates that we should strive for a society in which power is decentralized and diffuse amongst as many poles as possible, while still maintaining a cohesive national civic identity.
large corporations are essentially a form of government. this form of government is autocratic. in practice, the corporation is a tyranny and not a benevolent dictatorship.

you get rid of the us public government and you are left with private tyrannies that are even more unaccountable to you.

a much better solution is to end the forces that cause the public government to be undemocratic in the first place. extreme inequality allows the wealthy to buy the government. the extreme inequality is caused by enabling a tiny minority to make the important economic decisions for everyone else at the workplace, including how to allocate the revenue of the enterprise. workplaces do not have to be this way. workplaces can be made democratic and owned by the workers. make the workplace democratic, and the workers will not vote to give obscene wealth to a handful of employees and owners while they can't send their kids to college.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nut to Butt posted:

but historical evidence and simple logic demonstrates that if you let capitalists run free in such a system, without anything keeping them in check, they're gonna do their damnedest to rig the game in their favor, because that will help them make more money. the profit motive explicitly contradicts your stated goals of governance. you keep approaching good ideas and I'm pretty sure we broadly agree but then you trail off when the obvious conclusion of "these ideas are incompatible with capitalism" gets hard to ignore

Over There posted:

Back to lols please.

after the whole tom perez debacle a couple months back, tbh it would be really nice if obama hosed off back to billionaire orgy island forever

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The system led by educated people isn't failing because they are educated. It's failing because it's corrupt, a problem encountered by even the most communist, worker-led paradise shitholes on the planet.

Nah, high-level corporate governance can be exceedingly dysfunctional. Being educated doesn't mean you're actually competent or able to make good decisions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this seems ther ight thread for this

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/932636605537505281

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Poe's Law means I dont' know which way to laugh at this, but I am still laughing regardless

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the soviet union, china, et al. were dictatorships and not worker-led. they just switched the capitalist for the state autocrat. it's basically a form of state capitalism. they did not give employees ownership or decision-making in the economic enterprise of society. joseff basically went to work in the same way before and after the revolution.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

the soviet union, china, et al. were dictatorships and not worker-led. they just switched the capitalist for the state autocrat. it's basically a form of state capitalism. they did not give employees ownership or decision-making in the economic enterprise of society. joseff basically went to work in the same way before and after the revolution.

The fantasy that real communism has never been tried is uniquely pathetic and quasi-religious at this point.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

China is still communist and it works hth

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Holy lol.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

lol

i think he's legit mentally ill

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/932683585659731968

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Blue Train posted:

Only in name. They're capitalists hanging on to the communist brand name. They have their uber-rich, middle class, and dirt poor. Capitalist black markets prop up the economy in places where they just haven't converted outright. They have a billionaire class. They aren't communists in any meaningful way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The modern corporate form was created so that capitalists could be transient, dumb lazy fuckers and still have their companies run normally. This means that capitalists can be replaced by the workers, who are also dumb lazy fuckers, with very few problems.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The fantasy that real communism has never been tried is uniquely pathetic and quasi-religious at this point.
you can call it whatever ideological label you want. it's completely immaterial to what i'm talking about. my point that they are undemocratic dictatorships still stands. you are disingenuously conflating the idea of democratically run businesses with autocratic dictatorships.

capitalists have created private tyrannies that control your life. killing the public state is exactly what they want as a class because it gives them much more control over society and gives you much less control.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Good work

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/opinion/liberties-leech-women-in-love.html

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If she'd been that eager with Bill maybe he wouldn't have had to hit up Monica

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

you can call it whatever ideological label you want. it's completely immaterial to what i'm talking about. my point that they are undemocratic dictatorships still stands. you are disingenuously conflating the idea of democratically run businesses with autocratic dictatorships.

capitalists have created private tyrannies that control your life. killing the public state is exactly what they want as a class because it gives them much more control over society and gives you much less control.

The problem with your outlook is that even though communism doesn't explicitly call for the authoritarian model, it implicitly requires it. It is itself an authoritarian doctrine. Dissenters aren't allowed and have to be purged to maintain the society. It's a built-in flaw whether people want to admit it or not. Putting everything in the hands of "the people" inevitably leads to authoritarian scenarios precisely because the people as a group are incapable of managing society effectively without managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This isn't very funny

• Locked thread