Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://giant.gfycat.com/HarshMammothAdouri.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And what? The tow-truck would've had to report the malfeasance to The High Tow Council, getting your manager in a whole mess of trouble, what with the inevitable tribunal and all.
The tow would have hit the books and looked suspicious to the accountant if it wasn't invoiced to a customer or attributed to a specific transaction. Some mechanic pulling extra hours on a Saturday can hit the books without anyone noticing and if they do it takes the barest amount of explanation to wave away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In today's example of "Safety is Complicated":

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Arlington-Teen-Injured-in-Crash-One-Week-Ago-Dies--458552823.html

Completely sober driver T-bones another car and kills the driver because the anti-drunk-driving interlock on his car requires him to periodically breathe into it in order to keep driving.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

In today's example of "Safety is Complicated":

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Arlington-Teen-Injured-in-Crash-One-Week-Ago-Dies--458552823.html

Completely sober driver T-bones another car and kills the driver because the anti-drunk-driving interlock on his car requires him to periodically breathe into it in order to keep driving.

I could've sworn these things only mattered at initial ignition, or at the very worst at extended stops. Sort of ridiculous that your car might shut down on you as you're driving.

e: Oh, huh:

Wikpedia - Ignition interlock device posted:

If the breath sample isn't provided, or the sample exceeds the ignition interlock's preset blood alcohol level, the device will log the event, warn the driver, and then start up an alarm (e.g., lights flashing, horn honking) until the ignition is turned off, or a clean breath sample has been provided. A common misconception is that interlock devices will simply turn off the engine if alcohol is detected; this would, however, create an unsafe driving situation and expose interlock manufacturers to considerable liability

So the guy could've pulled over to do it, or done it at the next stop sign or light or something. Pretty bad call on his part, it seem like.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looks like she blindly backed out into traffic. Although it's insane this guy was blowing his thingy while driving rather than pulling over.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I could've sworn these things only mattered at initial ignition, or at the very worst at extended stops. Sort of ridiculous that your car might shut down on you as you're driving.

e: Oh, huh:

So the guy could've pulled over to do it, or done it at the next stop sign or light or something. Pretty bad call on his part, it seem like.

Then people would just get their kid to blow into it so they could drive to work plastered.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Baronjutter posted:

Looks like she blindly backed out into traffic. Although it's insane this guy was blowing his thingy while driving rather than pulling over.

Yeah it seems like both people are somewhat at fault and it's lovely.

Though that guy is a grown adult (I guess..) that has been driving for years and should know better (ha) whereas she's 18 and has been driving 2 years. I mean she should know better, but at the same time she's young, dumb, and will make mistakes, sadly this one cost her life.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

Ah yup, it's a year old. I guess I missed it.

New to me, thank you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e9590f00600a

quote:

Then there’s the Jacksonville, Fla., couple who decided to try Uber for Saturday night dinner and drinks with friends. The driver had a 4.8 rating with customers, so they were “hopeful.”

The wife, Charlene Hewitt, recounted the incident on the website UberPeople.net, which describes itself as an independent community of ride-share drivers.

It was June. From the back seat of the car, Charlene Hewitt, 33, spotted a camera mounted to the dashboard.

“He said, ‘Yeah, it takes my picture and uploads it when I blow in here.’ I hadn’t noticed the Breathalyzer from the back seat.

“When we were almost to our destination, it started beeping. He had to blow and hum into the thing for what seemed like an eternity, almost missing our turn in the process. He has to do this every 20 minutes.”

I can see a bunch of reasons why you wouldn't want to pull your car over at whatever arbitrary time the interlock devices tells you to. This guy, driving through a residential area, probably didn't have that excuse, but if you're designing this kind of thing to be used by a bunch of people in a bunch of circumstances you need to appreciate what people will actually do with it, even if you tell them not to do that.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Interlocks usually require a sample to start the engine, and then another about 10 or so minutes later, and then roughly every hour after that while the engine is running. This is so the driver can't have a sober person start the car for them so they drunkenly drive away, or pound down a few "road sodas" on a long trip.

When it's time for the next sample they'll usually beep for at least a good couple of minutes before they start honking the horn, etc. This is SPECIFICALLY TO ALLOW THE DRIVER TO FIND A SAFE PLACE TO BLOW INTO THE drat THING.

It shouldn't have taken his attention off of the road. Period.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

If it weren't classist I'd say just require drunk driving convicts to drive smart cars. T-boning somebody in a smart car probably doesn't kill them like a pickup does.

e. or motorcycles. Then if they drink and drive odds are they're just taking themselves out of society when they gently caress up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

If it weren't classist I'd say just require drunk driving convicts to drive smart cars. T-boning somebody in a smart car probably doesn't kill them like a pickup does.

e. or motorcycles. Then if they drink and drive odds are they're just taking themselves out of society when they gently caress up.

Or maybe after they do it like, 3 times, just tell them they can't drive anymore?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powershift posted:

Or maybe after they do it like, 3 times, just tell them they can't drive anymore?

This kills the suburbanite.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e9590f00600a

I can see a bunch of reasons why you wouldn't want to pull your car over at whatever arbitrary time the interlock devices tells you to. This guy, driving through a residential area, probably didn't have that excuse, but if you're designing this kind of thing to be used by a bunch of people in a bunch of circumstances you need to appreciate what people will actually do with it, even if you tell them not to do that.

This one seems kinda weird. Does having an interlock on a personal vehicle not somehow prohibit it from being used in a commercial capacity?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Farmdizzle posted:

Interlocks usually require a sample to start the engine, and then another about 10 or so minutes later, and then roughly every hour after that while the engine is running. This is so the driver can't have a sober person start the car for them so they drunkenly drive away, or pound down a few "road sodas" on a long trip.

When it's time for the next sample they'll usually beep for at least a good couple of minutes before they start honking the horn, etc. This is SPECIFICALLY TO ALLOW THE DRIVER TO FIND A SAFE PLACE TO BLOW INTO THE drat THING.

It shouldn't have taken his attention off of the road. Period.

This is the unit he was using: https://www.lifesafer.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/#q14

quote:

WILL THE INTERLOCK TURN OFF MY ENGINE?
No, the interlock will never turn off a running vehicle. If a retest is missed, the horn will sound, a violation will be recorded and the device will require early service.

WILL THE REQUIREMENTS TO TAKE A “RUNNING RETEST” CAUSE ME TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD CREATING A HAZARDOUS SITUATION?
No, when the interlock device signals for a running retest, you have a few minutes to provide the sample or to pull over to the side of the road in a safe area to provide the breath sample. There are no buttons to push; you must only breathe into the unit to complete a breath sample.

This sounds like that if you don't pull over within the "few minutes" this device gives you, it'll record your failure to blow on cue as a violation, and then require you to take it in for service.

That's a bit that *guarantees* people using this will take their attention off the road in order to provide a new sample. It's terrible human-factors design.

SpacePig posted:

This one seems kinda weird. Does having an interlock on a personal vehicle not somehow prohibit it from being used in a commercial capacity?

No prohibition I'm aware of. There's nothing that says the only reason you can have one of these on your car is because you've been ordered to do so by a court. It's within the realm of plausibility that someone willingly chooses to have one installed on his car, to prevent a family member from driving it while drunk. There's no reason that person couldn't then turn around and use the same car to give Uber rides.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 20, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

in many places in the us not being able to drive greatly fucks you over in terms of employment

so you just end up with drunks who drive around without licenses or insurance

SpacePig posted:

a ton of uber/lyft drivers are driving around "illegally" in that their insurance is for personal use only and doesn't cover commercial use

the entire ridesharing business model is full of small time illegal behavior like this

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost as if the sort of scum that get interlocks are the sort of scum that would blow into them while driving.
Suspend their licenses sooner, like a year on the first offense, with longer and longer periods for re-offenses. If they try to drive while banned, take their car away. I don't give a gently caress if this destroys someone's life, better than the very high chance they'll end up loving over someone else's with a serious injury or death.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boner confessor posted:

in many places in the us not being able to drive greatly fucks you over in terms of employment

so you just end up with drunks who drive around without licenses or insurance

You're right, just let them keep driving until they kill like, 4? people.

Then escalate the issue.

4 sounds like a good number.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CHALLENGE MODE ENABLED

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

You're right, just let them keep driving until they kill like, 4? people.

Then escalate the issue.

4 sounds like a good number.

well what do you want, jailing them for life? an interlock lets them drive while making it a big hassle to do so while drinking. once you've racked up three duis then it's pretty clear you're not going to stop drinking while driving

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost as if the sort of scum that get interlocks are the sort of scum that would blow into them while driving.
Suspend their licenses sooner, like a year on the first offense, with longer and longer periods for re-offenses. If they try to drive while banned, take their car away. I don't give a gently caress if this destroys someone's life, better than the very high chance they'll end up loving over someone else's with a serious injury or death.

it's not about destroying people's lives, but rather folks who keep doing this aren't going to stop due to civil punishment - they would have learned their lesson after the first dui. so your options are to let them keep driving with the super drunk lock or keep them out of society entirely, because they're just going to keep reoffending

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
In most of the US, barring people from driving is(should be) a violation of the first amendment, and the right to peaceably assemble.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

In most of the US, barring people from driving is(should be) a violation of the first amendment, and the right to peaceably assemble.

It’s hard to peaceably assemble if you’re in the pen.

That doesn’t make prison illegal.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I don't know the solution to the problem, but you're just creating another problem if you revoke licenses left and right. If you revoke someone's license in anywhere but a major city (and hell even in some major cities) they are going to have a lovely time getting a job if they can at all, which creates a new problem, now this person is going to have a poo poo life because they can't get a job, what are they going to do? They aren't going to stop drinking that's for loving sure. Do you let them drive around without consequence? No, but, again, I don't know a good solution, I can tell you that revoking someone's license immediately is not the right one though. Not that anyone was necessarily advocating 1 DUI = No driving for life, but I'm not sure where to draw the line, 3, 4 maybe 5?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

SpacePig posted:

Uber will not let you be a driver for them if you've ever had a DUI. (Except California, where it has to be more than 10 years prior, due to their laws).
So the guy got popped, didn't report it to Uber, and Uber hasn't re-ran his background check recently, if they ever do anyways.

boner confessor posted:

a ton of uber/lyft drivers are driving around "illegally" in that their insurance is for personal use only and doesn't cover commercial use

the entire ridesharing business model is full of small time illegal behavior like this

Some areas require this, so not having the proper insurance would prohibit you from driving for Uber. You have to provide valid, appropriate insurance upon every renewal, and they do track this.
Other areas do not have rideshare regulations, so it wouldn't be illegal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MF_James posted:

I don't know the solution to the problem, but you're just creating another problem if you revoke licenses left and right. If you revoke someone's license in anywhere but a major city (and hell even in some major cities) they are going to have a lovely time getting a job if they can at all, which creates a new problem, now this person is going to have a poo poo life because they can't get a job, what are they going to do? They aren't going to stop drinking that's for loving sure. Do you let them drive around without consequence? No, but, again, I don't know a good solution, I can tell you that revoking someone's license immediately is not the right one though. Not that anyone was necessarily advocating 1 DUI = No driving for life, but I'm not sure where to draw the line, 3, 4 maybe 5?

Install a governor to cap their car at 5mph under the local speed limit. Remove another 5mph for each repeated offense.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

haveblue posted:

Install a governor to cap their car at 5mph under the local speed limit. Remove another 5mph for each repeated offense.

This seems like a complicated way to just say "Murdering people convicted of DUI is now legal."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

haveblue posted:

Now you’re just punishing everyone else on the road

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

The problem with that approach is that you are just as likely or more so to gently caress over a family and other dependants which in turn produces it's own social problems multiplying the mess. I am not saying you can't have it in your tool box but given the lack of social investment and safety net in the US it is a very, very poor tool to use especially in an environment where punishment is the only goal.

This is what happens when you try to fix a cultural problem with a technological solution.

The solution has always been a social one where people encourage each other not to drink and drive. I have had drinks before and felt fine but there was enough peer pressure to not drive so I slept over in their house. There is also encouraging people to use breath devices for fun in bars and to make them feel responsible and as a pressure point so they don't drive. You also want people not want to drink by reducing the need because so many people do so because they have lovely lives.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about a shock collar that detects alcohol and delivers a light shock if they're around it.

They stay sober, they can keep driving to work while keeping their eyes on the road. Everybody wins.

Or

Remove their seatbelts and airbags, replace the drivers side airbag with a big metal spike.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I had an breathalyzer in my car. You have to blow very hard into it and for like 10 seconds straight. If you have a small woman with limited Ling capacity you’ll never get your car to turn on. Also it will randomly ask you to blow again and during that time it will beep over and over again and the beeping speeds up almost panicking you. Plus if you don’t blow in it at a given amount of time your car won’t turn off but it will log it in as an infraction and that can be given to the court and you will be royally hosed if the judge suspects there was something shady happening.

Believe me thee is nothing more annoying than being on a freeway and having that poo poo beep on you. Most people don’t want to exit the freeway and park because it’s a pain in the rear end.

Ps they should make it where it won’t register a breath unless you are in park. But that would make too much sense

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Dutch can handle this easy, like this even:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How about we affix parachutes to the car's frame

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have a scuba-style mouthpiece that you wear continuously while driving.
Bonus: also prevents you from drinking or from talking on the phone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Piggy Smalls posted:

I had an breathalyzer in my car. You have to blow very hard into it and for like 10 seconds straight. If you have a small woman with limited Ling capacity you’ll never get your car to turn on. Also it will randomly ask you to blow again and during that time it will beep over and over again and the beeping speeds up almost panicking you. Plus if you don’t blow in it at a given amount of time your car won’t turn off but it will log it in as an infraction and that can be given to the court and you will be royally hosed if the judge suspects there was something shady happening.

Believe me thee is nothing more annoying than being on a freeway and having that poo poo beep on you. Most people don’t want to exit the freeway and park because it’s a pain in the rear end.

Ps they should make it where it won’t register a breath unless you are in park. But that would make too much sense

I'm not shedding any tears over inconveniencing DUI drivers.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spankmeister posted:

I'm not shedding any tears over inconveniencing DUI drivers.

no of course not, but this is the ideal solution because increasing criminal punishments aren't going to solve the problem

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Couldn't the car just breathalize when it's put into park? That way you know it's safe to blow, and you would only have to blow once per trip.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blugu64 posted:

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. gently caress YOU. "Your right to irresponsibly risk the life of everyone around you is constitutional"

Habitual drunk drivers should get life in jail for attempted murder. Because it is only a matter of time before they kill someone. Drunk drivers are a huge danger to society and they have chosen themselves to be so. I have zero sympathy for anyone who puts their right to drink above the lives of others even once, but I'm willing to concede that judgement can slip, so you get one shot to gently caress up. Second DUI, life in prison.

Let out everyone in jail for weed use, it'll free up a lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Avenging_Mikon posted:

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. gently caress YOU. "Your right to irresponsibly risk the life of everyone around you is constitutional"

Habitual drunk drivers should get life in jail for attempted murder. Because it is only a matter of time before they kill someone. Drunk drivers are a huge danger to society and they have chosen themselves to be so. I have zero sympathy for anyone who puts their right to drink above the lives of others even once, but I'm willing to concede that judgement can slip, so you get one shot to gently caress up. Second DUI, life in prison.

Let out everyone in jail for weed use, it'll free up a lot of space.

try not to bite so hard on obvious fakeposts and also alcoholism is a disease, incarcerating people for being alcoholics who make bad decisions is pretty lovely and regressive

e: long term incarceration, not the penalties you get for each dui

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 20, 2017