Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Yes, with the exception of Bosses which always use the Boss deck regardless of which boss you are actually fighting.

Note that some decks are used by multiple monsters (like the aforementioned Guard deck) while most of the decks are specific to one type of enemy.

Also you should be using the Gloomhaven monster app, it really is a huge improvement over the physical decks: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

Yeah I was looking at that and will probably just go with it in the future. Like even with all the random tiny pieces this game has, those cards are what made me said "this is going to be a problem."

Waiting on my Plano boxes to arrive so I'm desperately trying to only pop out the pieces that I absolutely need right now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

for the first time in 50+ scenarios, last night one of my groups almost wiped. Scenario 26, Ancient Cistern.

Mind Thief (7), Spellweaver (6), Cragheart (6), and Triple Arrow (me, 3)

Cragheart and Spellweaver exhaust tanking in the last room, Mindthief goes invisible to accomplish the scenario goal, and I tank the last of the damage, ending up with 0 health and all 09 of my hand cards in the loss pile and exhaust just as the MT finishes it while long resting.

And before we started there was much discussion about increasing the scenario level cause things were getting too easy.

EDIT: looking at BGG apparently that's one of the toughest scenarios in the game.

I assume you're just replaying the starter characters (with all boxes unlocked) after 50 games - but how are you still on Prosperity 3 after that long? I think we were on Prosperity 6 by then.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

jmzero posted:

I assume you're just replaying the starter characters (with all boxes unlocked) after 50 games - but how are you still on Prosperity 3 after that long? I think we were on Prosperity 6 by then.

I should have made it clearer - I was super lucky to have two friends get March copies of the game and ask me to join their play groups. One group played 2 scenarios a week for a good 2-3 months - everyone's on their second or third characters there. The other group (where this anecdote was from) meets much more infrequently, and only I have retired a character, though at least 2 others are going to in the next 2-3 scenarios.

I've probably played 35 scenarios with group 1 and 15 with group 2.

as for prosperity, group 2 is one prosperity away from level 3.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Aw yeah, My brother is getting his copy delivered today (Canada). We plan to have a somewhat rotating stable of players but keep us two constant (unless he's planning on secretly betraying me!).

We did the minicampaign on tabletop simulator, and I suggest looking it up for a few sample scenarios or a quick campaign if you're trying to convince people to play or to demo it. Debating which characters we should start with, since our combo of Cragheart & Mindtheif worked pretty well overall but we want our friends to pick something they'll enjoy. Oddly enough we're having trouble getting people; even our friends super into this kind of thing seem hesitant to commit.

He also got those vinyl removable stickers, so I guess I'll try and give a trip report on those when we see how well they work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I have this creeping feeling like my group has been playing something wrong (we did initially screw up by playing only with the expansion cards you get in the class boxes at first, so screw ups are entirely possible, but we fixed this one and are on the lookout for more) but we really haven't found the game that hard.

Group is cragheart, mindthief, brute and tinkerer, and in the five or six scenarios we've done so far we've had a single character get exhausted. On another occasion a character would have been exhausted if another round had been necessary. And then I read about people who've been wiped out on scenario 1 over and over and my experiences don't match up.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wiped on scenario 1 the first time because we forgot to lose a card to not take damage, the second time we beat it pretty handily. I think a lot of the losses in the first couple scenarios are probably also people playing things incorrectly.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

BioTech posted:

Yeah, I did both. Part of why the crit instakilled is because I wasn't used to managing cards yet and sat there with an empty hand planning to do a long rest.
After finishing 2 scenarios and a nice city event I have enough money to buy another piece of gear for everyone and also got perks for 2/3 characters. With everyone still at L1 the scenarios are still at the same difficulty, but those perks, extra items and my improved understanding of the game mechanics definitely mean it got easier. The start is really (too?) rough if you play at the solo difficulty, but maybe I'll start trying again if the next few scenarios work out.

Just to double check - did your Scoundrel also have an empty discard? Because you can lose two cards from discard for the same damage cancelling effect. It sucks a lot, which is why you want to do it from cards in hand if possible. But a single crit shouldn't kill you unless you're basically walking dead already.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Also, iron helmets people. Some of the best $10 a level 1-3 character can spend, after the stamina potion.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also, iron helmets people. Some of the best $10 a level 1-3 character can spend, after the stamina potion.

:same: Unless you have other headgear you should be wearing this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone work up "common ways to play this wrong u dummy" stuff I can add to the OP?

Also I wasn't sure this thread would gain traction and I'm glad a side thread turned out to be valid. Good work y'all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just got this email from Boardlandia. Bummer.

"We just heard from our distributor about the ETA of Gloomhaven. The current ETA is Mid January. This is due to the shipments landing at all distributors at various times.

I'm sure you have been seeing people getting their copies of the game already. Keep in mind that those are the people who backed the kickstarter. Our copies are coming from distribution so they do not receive the copies until after the people who backed it.

Thank you for your patience. We know that it's a bummer that it will not make it in time for Christmas. We too are waiting for our personal copy so we understand the disappointment. Unfortunately situations like this are completely out of our control."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Just got this email from Boardlandia. Bummer.

"We just heard from our distributor about the ETA of Gloomhaven. The current ETA is Mid January. This is due to the shipments landing at all distributors at various times.

I'm sure you have been seeing people getting their copies of the game already. Keep in mind that those are the people who backed the kickstarter. Our copies are coming from distribution so they do not receive the copies until after the people who backed it.

Thank you for your patience. We know that it's a bummer that it will not make it in time for Christmas. We too are waiting for our personal copy so we understand the disappointment. Unfortunately situations like this are completely out of our control."

Fffffffffff

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone work up "common ways to play this wrong u dummy" stuff I can add to the OP?

Also I wasn't sure this thread would gain traction and I'm glad a side thread turned out to be valid. Good work y'all.

Hit Deck
Your Hit Modifier Deck is NOT in your character class box. Do not even open the sleeve before your first scenario. No Touch. Player 1 gets all the "1" cards player 2 all the "2" ... the "M" cards are the monsters' deck. The gamebox has the decks labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, M and THAT ALONE is their Hit modifier deck until you level up or get a perk. Then you can switch some cards in/out based on your selected perk. These EXTRA cards you can add in are what are in the class box in the little sleeve.

No you did not just get 1-shoted, don't worry.
When you get hit for ANY amount of damage. You may

Option1: Take that damage, turn your wheel.

Option2: Lose 1 card from your hand to negate all the damage you just took.

Option3: Lose 2 cards from your discard to negate all the damage you just took. (if you have no cards in hand or really really like that card you have left in hand.)

So if you get hit for 1pt or 13pts or 100pts of damage you can just lose a card. You do not turn your wheel. You do not lose any health. Cards are your real secret 'health' in this game. They are your energy, your ability to do things, and when they are gone you are all tuckered out and Exhausted (out of the scenario) Think of losing a card as dodging that giant attack, you lost some energy instead of getting hit. This does make it dangerous to get low health in a bad spot because if you are at 1 health suddenly a 2 damage attack is hurting as bad at a 20 damage attack.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

ShaneB posted:

Fffffffffff

At least it made the decision to order Pandemic Season 2 an easy one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Seconding the stamina potion. That poo poo is dynamite - grab up the exact two cards you'll want next turn and go to town.

Can't say I've seen too much need for the helmet, but that just goes to show that my group have been lucky and haven't been critted very often.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gort posted:

Seconding the stamina potion. That poo poo is dynamite - grab up the exact two cards you'll want next turn and go to town.

Can't say I've seen too much need for the helmet, but that just goes to show that my group have been lucky and haven't been critted very often.

The stamina potion is the best card in the game.

My team has maxed rep so the iron helmet gets a lot of use, you may as well snag it when starting a new character until you can save up for one of the totally, totally broken head slot items

Pendant of Dark Pacts I'm looking at you

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Option2: Lose 1 card from your hand to negate all the damage you just took.

Option3: Lose 2 cards from your discard to negate all the damage you just took. (if you have no cards in hand or really really like that card you have left in hand.)

Doesn't Spellweaver have an ability to reclaim all of her lost cards? How does this not make her essentially immortal?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CaptainRightful posted:

Doesn't Spellweaver have an ability to reclaim all of her lost cards? How does this not make her essentially immortal?
She can only do that once, and she has the smallest hand size of the starting classes. Plus if you're spending cards to avoid damage, you're not spending those cards to kill things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, she can only do it once, and that card specifically cannot be recovered once lost. She's on one of the strictest times in the game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The stamina potion is the best card in the game.

My team has maxed rep so the iron helmet gets a lot of use, you may as well snag it when starting a new character until you can save up for one of the totally, totally broken head slot items

Pendant of Dark Pacts I'm looking at you

This is actually one of my complaints about the game: Once you a bunch of this stuff - Minor Stamina, Major Stamina, Pendant, Utility Belt - the card economy feels a bit broken.
You lose some of the interesting decisions when you can spam your big "upgraded with strengthen" move, and "that fast debuff attack" too many times.

CaptainRightful posted:

We only ran into one truly broken thing: Utility Belt + Pendant of Dark Pacts. It was errata'ed away in the original edition - I assume the new Utility Belt should say "Can never be refreshed". Well... also the lute character + cthulu-face, which was also nerfed a bit

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

jmzero posted:

This is actually one of my complaints about the game: Once you a bunch of this stuff - Minor Stamina, Major Stamina, Pendant, Utility Belt - the card economy feels a bit broken.
You lose some of the interesting decisions when you can spam your big "upgraded with strengthen" move, and "that fast debuff attack" too many times.

We only ran into one truly broken thing: Utility Belt + Pendant of Dark Pacts. It was errata'ed away in the original edition - I assume the new Utility Belt should say "Can never be refreshed". Well... also the lute character + cthulu-face, which was also nerfed a bit

Yeah, I'm actually contemplating banning Utility Belt by the mechanism of hiding the card. You could toss the other one as well. It extends the timer you are on by 7 points as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Another dumb question, for skills like Cragheart's Opposing Strikes, how does the 'gain 2 Retaliation' effect apply? Is it basically each hit you take does 2 damage to the attacker? Or does it grant you 2 retaliation for the rest of the round? Or what?

My assumption was that it was for the rest of the round (like how monster ability cards work), but then if you get hit 3 times in a turn you'd have 6 retaliation on you?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Another dumb question, for skills like Cragheart's Opposing Strikes, how does the 'gain 2 Retaliation' effect apply? Is it basically each hit you take does 2 damage to the attacker? Or does it grant you 2 retaliation for the rest of the round? Or what?

My assumption was that it was for the rest of the round (like how monster ability cards work), but then if you get hit 3 times in a turn you'd have 6 retaliation on you?

it means that until your next turn begins and the card goes into your discard, each time you're melee attacked you do 2 retaliation damage to the attacker. It doesn't mean the 2nd attacker takes 4 and the 3rd takes 6.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It lasts until the charges are used up. There are two icons that look similar at first glance - the 'until end of round' effect icon has a circle on it, while this ability has the infinity symbol instead. Compare the icons on Opposing Strikes and Heaving Swing, and you'll see what I mean.

So as long as it's active, every time you get hit by a melee attack and survive, the attacker takes 2 damage and you move the token one space.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

it means that until your next turn begins and the card goes into your discard, each time you're melee attacked you do 2 retaliation damage to the attacker. It doesn't mean the 2nd attacker takes 4 and the 3rd takes 6.

It's a persistent effect, not until end of the round.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Koskinator posted:

It lasts until the charges are used up. There are two icons that look similar at first glance - the 'until end of round' effect icon has a circle on it, while this ability has the infinity symbol instead. Compare the icons on Opposing Strikes and Heaving Swing, and you'll see what I mean.

So as long as it's active, every time you get hit by a melee attack and survive, the attacker takes 2 damage and you move the token one space.

I had a feeling that was the intent of the card but the wording was confusing to me, as it says 'gain 2 retaliation' which sounds more like you are supposed to be granted it like a buff or something (similar to monster ability cards). New game so still getting used to how the wording on the cards works and all that.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

ShaneB posted:

The Boardgame Geek forums have a nice thread on this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1727703/easy-miss-rules

It might be useful to link the official FAQ in the OP as well. It covers a lot of questions!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1687146/official-faq

Anyways, my friends and I are completely smitten with the game, we've played it at least once or twice a week so far.
Party consists of the Scoundrel, Cragheart, Mindthief and the 2 mini class (me). I got to retire the Tinkerer last session and I'm really excited to play the new class.
I used to play the Tinkerer in a more support role at the start, but realized killing enemies is probably better than healing, so I switched to a more offensive build later on. Helped with my personal quest as well.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

malkav11 posted:

Just to double check - did your Scoundrel also have an empty discard? Because you can lose two cards from discard for the same damage cancelling effect. It sucks a lot, which is why you want to do it from cards in hand if possible. But a single crit shouldn't kill you unless you're basically walking dead already.

Yeah, I missed that one. Didn't have many cards left anyway because I just kept using the big one-time attacks, but this would've saved me for that turn.

Finished scenario 3 yesterday, it went quite well. Really digging the Cloak of Invisibility, it gives my Mindthief and Scoundrel the change to go in, do their thing and escape any damage while also blocking enemies from reaching the Cragheart in the back. Next turn a new high initiative card will usually clean up whatever was left standing.

Also, I didn't realize you get XP for completing scenarios. Rules were clear that killing gave you nothing and I saw a scenario that specifically mentioned XP as a reward after completion, so I never realized you get some by default as well.
Might get a level on some characters now.

I still feel a bit overwhelmed at times, but definitely getting better.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Koskinator posted:

It's a persistent effect, not until end of the round.

woops, didn't look at the card, just went by the description.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

All the ones with XP token tracking cards sit there until they exhaust themselves by the event happening.
(From the ones I've seen so far)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it’s shipping today! Gonna have to go pick it up at my mom’s because I shipped it there instead of my apartment, but quite excited.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

My Broken Token organizer just arrived. Looking forward to adding another 10 lbs to the game box.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn this thing is big.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

My Broken Token organizer just arrived. Looking forward to adding another 10 lbs to the game box.

I just finished staining mine yesterday, it's a good piece but ally doesn't let you keep all the tuck boxes for the characters

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I hate you all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I hate you all.

:same:

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
My copy arrived (Canada, Kickstarter backer). Very excited to somehow figure out how and when I'm going to play this monster... plus getting it all organized is going to be a bear.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

:(:hf::(

The worst part is that I ordered something from Amazon last week, so I got emails from UPS and every time I got super excited, only to be let down, because it's just that Amazon item.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I soloed the first scenario to try to find the gaps in my understanding of the rules before trying to teach it to people. (Like, what actually happens when you open the door to a new room and the monsters' initiative has passed? Oh, they all bum rush you straight away, cool.)

I went with the Mindthief and Scoundrel, which I've heard actually works ok despite the squishiness because they are murder bros who can clear the room without needing to tank. Turns out they can. Mindthief ran out of cards in the penultimate round but set the Scoundrel up to just slice the two archers still standing to ribbons.

Cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Signal posted:

I just finished staining mine yesterday, it's a good piece but ally doesn't let you keep all the tuck boxes for the characters

Yeah it seems like they intend for you to keep the character boxes you are currently using outside the box, seems silly