Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

C.M. Kruger posted:

With the advent of cheap CNC manufacturing equipment I'd argue otherwise.

Nope. Even the cheapest of CNC equipment doesn't even come close to stamped metal and simple forgings when you're talking making hundreds of thousands of a thing. This isn't even getting into the fact that most of the tooling, jigs, stamping dies etc for making AKs was produced and paid for by some communist government in the 70s if not earlier, so is essentially free now. If you're talking about setting up your own domestic AK line that's something you might have to worry about, but if all you want to do is buy 100k, rifles to outfit your miltia with Romania has got you covered like you wouldn't believe at a really attractive price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I *think* I get those tired and groggy moments where my eyes are just kinda shutting down and it's really hard to move; and those morning moments where just dragging yourself out of bed is like, a Sisyphean feat.

Now night terrors, on the other hand, I got twenty years of stories of screaming myself hoarse at anything vaguely people shaped in my room; or the tint of everything has gone all red and I see the words KILL everywhere so I'm awake and jumping out of my bed from the sheer panic that I'm honestly about to die.

I usually end up spending a few minutes turning on the lights, carefully inspecting that the hat rack is not in fact a person and then slowly coaxing myself back to sleep after making sure my bedroom and backyard facing door are both shut and locked.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wouldn't cheap CNC machining also drive down the price of milled AK variants? I'd be amazed if those don't take fewer machine hours than any AR design.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A friend of mine decided to make something like that whole "coding duck" thing for me to talk to and explain my code to.

Yes the arm lengths are intentional.

I'm unreasonably happy.

Siivola posted:

Wouldn't cheap CNC machining also drive down the price of milled AK variants? I'd be amazed if those don't take fewer machine hours than any AR design.

The AK is designed to use a lot of stampings. Designs tend to be based on the technology of their time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope. Even the cheapest of CNC equipment doesn't even come close to stamped metal and simple forgings when you're talking making hundreds of thousands of a thing. This isn't even getting into the fact that most of the tooling, jigs, stamping dies etc for making AKs was produced and paid for by some communist government in the 70s if not earlier, so is essentially free now. If you're talking about setting up your own domestic AK line that's something you might have to worry about, but if all you want to do is buy 100k, rifles to outfit your miltia with Romania has got you covered like you wouldn't believe at a really attractive price point.
This. If you're starting from scratch and insist on domestic production, building a giant sheet metal stamping industry is an iffy prospect; all things considered, it's probably a net opportunity loss compared to spending the same money on CNC.

But the legacy of Soviet largesse, with a ~16 year head start on the AR, skews things massively. The normal security concerns that encourage domestic production don't apply the same way with the AK. If you get in a tiff with Romania there's easily a dozen other big manufacturers who will be happy to take orders and produce a compatible design, and that's before considering the surplus market.

And you could always make AK receivers on mills or CNC at about the same cost as AR receivers in a pinch. The AK isn't optimized for that so the labor is less efficient, but there's a big difference between gearing up to produce an entire military's worth of rifles vs keeping up with wastage if you aren't on friendly terms with international suppliers.

Siivola posted:

I sort of headfaked at this, but it goes the other way. Kalashnikov and his team, quite sensibly, optimized the AK for stamped sheet metal production, while Stoner - also quite sensibly - optimized the AR for CNC, because that's what their respective nations had readily available and were good at. It would make milled receivers more cost effective for the AK, but it's just easier to make an AR receiver on CNC. Materials cost tends to favor the AK so it's mostly a wash overall when you're talking about military scale production.

EDIT: With the substantial caveat that this assumes you aren't in a mobilization crunch where speed matters more than cost.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

xthetenth posted:

A friend of mine decided to make something like that whole "coding duck" thing for me to talk to and explain my code to.

I'm unreasonably happy.

The AK is designed to use a lot of stampings. Designs tend to be based on the technology of their time.

Stampings are still dirt loving cheap if you're making a lot of them. The main expensive parts on an AK are the trunnions and the bolt, and those are all forged and machined.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ainsley McTree posted:

Want to read the sci fi book where instead of carriers, naval war fare is all launching boarding parties out of cannons

Watch Starcrash.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yo

The Great Goon War is on again. Signups open in about an hour and a half. Be there or be hanging on the old barbed wire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stampings are still dirt loving cheap if you're making a lot of them. The main expensive parts on an AK are the trunnions and the bolt, and those are all forged and machined.

Yeah, absolutely. I meant there wasn't really room for much savings from CNC.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Kalashnikov and his team, quite sensibly, optimized the AK for stamped sheet metal production
Oh! I'd thought they started out with the milled design and only later developed the stamped version. Turns out I'm wrong and they were thinking of stamping all along. Thanks, I learned a thing today.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Siivola posted:

Oh! I'd thought they started out with the milled design and only later developed the stamped version. Turns out I'm wrong and they were thinking of stamping all along. Thanks, I learned a thing today.
It gets confusing because they always intended stamped sheet metal, but the Soviets initially had some trouble with welding quality so they went to a machined receiver while they worked the kinks out. So despite being a later temporary measure, the milled receiver AKs got issued first.

EDIT: I can't think of another firearm with both milled and stamped receivers that didn't go in the other direction. The MP 38/40 started milled and then was adapted to use as much stamped as possible, for example. That being said I would love to hear if there's one I've missed.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2017

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Which one is more reliable, a sword or a polearm? I've heard that swords are prone to jamming especially when there are stones around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JcDent posted:

Clearly I need to affix an AK to a pike!

Underslung pike on an AK or a pike with an AK on the end?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

EDIT: I can't think of another firearm with both milled and stamped receivers that didn't go in the other direction. The MP 38/40 started milled and then was adapted to use as much stamped as possible, for example. That being said I would love to hear if there's one I've missed.
Oddly, the Finnish AK variant RK-62 was milled, and IMI copied that detail for the Galil.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It gets confusing because they always intended stamped sheet metal, but the Soviets initially had some trouble with welding quality so they went to a machined receiver while they worked the kinks out. So despite being a later temporary measure, the milled receiver AKs got issued first.

It's pretty unlikely, because stamping is a superior mass production technique in that it is very fixed-cost heavy, but the variable cost per unit produced is quite low. Therefore, it's really good when you know you want a shitload of this exact part that I have made, and less good when there's any sort of variability. The natural evolution of a weapon is to go from prototyping to limited production to mass production with changes at each phase, so it's really unlikely that you'd tool up for stamping (loving expensive) and then decided you wanted to go back to milling.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Which one is more reliable, a sword or a polearm? I've heard that swords are prone to jamming especially when there are stones around.
swords snap less often

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Pikes operate normally regardless of how much mud or dust get into the action.

They can experience issues if the mechanism absorbs too much alcohol, or so I've heard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Siivola posted:

Oddly, the Finnish AK variant RK-62 was milled, and IMI copied that detail for the Galil.

Could be related to ValMet familiarity with milling versus stamping, but they did then create the M76 which was stamped and supposedly lighter.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

They can experience issues if the mechanism absorbs too much alcohol, or so I've heard.
but if you fail to introduce alcohol into the system the entire thing breaks down...?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bit of mud on the end of a pike is beneficial even. The more wounded enemy musketeers who catch septicaemia the better.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

xthetenth posted:

I'm unreasonably happy.
The kutest Kaiser!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Siivola posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Could be related to ValMet familiarity with milling versus stamping, but they did then create the M76 which was stamped and supposedly lighter.

If you do it right, the milled receivers are higher quality and more rugged. Maximizing the quality of a smaller number of arms made sense for the Finns and Israelis, who had hard caps on how big their armies could be, while facing nearby enemies with much larger forces. The greater weight didn't matter to them as much, because they expected to be conducting primarily defensive actions.

The Finns maintained parts and ammo compatibility so that they could easily draw on the surplus market or use captured supplies. Finnish soldiers also don't need much cross-training to be able to use a captured Russian weapon. Basically, unless the someone else is footing the bill, the Finns are going to default to a high-quality version of what Russia is using (see the M/27 Mosin-Nagant variant as well).

The Galil's design has more to do with a unique combination of political and security imperatives, and specific combat conditions. The Israelis explicitly wanted a rifle that was as reliable as the AK-47 in local conditions but as accurate as the M-16, that they could produce domestically, and used the same standard ammunition as their primary allies. They were willing to pay a premium per weapon and didn't care about it being parts compatible with anything else.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 20, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Finns started with a milled version and then migrated to a stamped version, which pretty well negates your theory. It's not min-maxing in a video game and the largely theoretical "edge" of milling doesn't matter. It's clear that based on the evolution of the production process, the FDF and ValMet figured out that it was actually cheaper and just as good in every way that mattered to stamp the reciever, since none of the scope conditions that you point to as supporting milling changed over that time period.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

swords snap less often

I guess if you've got to cut a pike down every time you want to loot a town, you'd definitely have to replace the pikes a lot more often.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Finns started with a milled version and then migrated to a stamped version, which pretty well negates your theory.
We, er, never did.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Valmet's pistol grip and stock are like sawn off pieces of a stolen stop sign wrapped in a garden hose. I'm not really sure polished craftsmanship was high on the priority list?

Norinco in China makes copies of the M-16/AR15 now and so does Iran, off the same tooling. It's probably not that expensive these days. I think the Iranians are reequipping their entire force with 5.56mm M-16 variants, oddly enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Siivola posted:

We, er, never did.

The RK 62 is milled and the RK 62 76 is stamped, if I'm not mistaken.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nenonen posted:

They tolerate immersion well and are capable of imparting royalty upon the operator despite being completely submerged in a lake, which cannot necessarily be said of a pike.

However, the pike requires little in the way of defensive training for the operator as the defensive utility of a pike is maximized right out of the very long box it came in. It is quite possible that had Arthur used a pike in fighting Mordred he may have not endured mortal wounds but that's getting too far off toward Gay Black Merlin territory.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The RK 62 is milled and the RK 62 76 is stamped, if I'm not mistaken.
The M76 was never adopted by the military, and production ended thirty years ago. The current model is the Rk 95 Tp, which is still a milled pig of a gun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Siivola posted:

The M76 was never adopted by the military, and production ended thirty years ago. The current model is the Rk 95 Tp, which is still a milled pig of a gun.

oop, well, I stand corrected then

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes I was thinking of direct domestic production. Autarky gunsmithing.

Siivola posted:

Not exactly. Faster to cut aluminum than steel.

And you're still left with a AK at the end of the day.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I sort of headfaked at this, but it goes the other way. Kalashnikov and his team, quite sensibly, optimized the AK for stamped sheet metal production, while Stoner - also quite sensibly - optimized the AR for CNC, because that's what their respective nations had readily available and were good at. It would make milled receivers more cost effective for the AK, but it's just easier to make an AR receiver on CNC. Materials cost tends to favor the AK so it's mostly a wash overall when you're talking about military scale production.

EDIT: With the substantial caveat that this assumes you aren't in a mobilization crunch where speed matters more than cost.

I would say "optimized for milling" rather than CNC or NC, neither of those really took off until after the AR series had been developed due to the lack of readily available/cheap computing power to create toolpaths for complex shapes, and IIRC the original marketing material for the AR10 emphasized how it could be produced on conventional equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDXWo70xVwA

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

anyone who's not scared of sleep paralysis has clearly never experienced it

Oh, yeah, I mean in the sense of "the thing they're scared of isn't ghosts", though. Sleep paralysis itself is terrifying. As are bedsheets at awkward angles at night.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I'm unreasonably happy.

So sad the Rule the Waves LP died.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

So sad the Rule the Waves LP died.

I know. Still, it's perfect. The Kaiser has a natural affinity for bad ideas.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

xthetenth posted:

I know. Still, it's perfect. The Kaiser has a natural affinity for bad ideas.

The Kaiser's Battleship was art. Completely true to the real Wilhelm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nenonen posted:

Guns on ships were just a fad and always will be. Ramming is the correct way to do battle at the sea. And if it refuses to sink, you board it!

I like my arrows like I like my men.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I dunno about everybody else but I only get sleep paralysis as I'm trying to sleep and I don't move at all for too long. So I notice it coming on, and usually I can cut it off by trying to scream at the top of my lungs, what really happens is I groan softly until the paralysis wears off.

In conclusion, I am slightly magick and I have knowledge of how to scare off sleep demons.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

the defensive utility of a pike is maximized right out of the very long box it came in.
each one is individually boxed and wrapped, with the personal touch we have come to be known for

why compromise on the best in modern self-defense

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

am i the only person in this thread without sleep paralysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

am i the only person in this thread without sleep paralysis

mine mysteriously disappeared in my early 20s, along with my immunity to hangovers