Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yeah, no. This is almost EVE-level UI sperging. I was pretty satisfied with myself with learning the nuances of Endless Legend but this is a bit much. Uninstalling.

Endless Space 2 is great playing between the different races and their expansion mechanics.

But I also sperg'd out on Eve a few times this past decade so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am very excite for the chance of something happening to loot boxes in video games but from what gambling lawyers I've listened to, this will take a bit and probably require some politicians to care when they run for election.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm replaying jade empire

It's not terrible and the mythology stuff is cool

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I really enjoyed Jade Empire. It was hilariously easy to break the game early on and become an unstoppable engine of destruction, but the writing was fun.

I just wish some of the persuasion dialog options weren't so obviously fixed and unwinnable.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Super86 posted:

They tried with a game called 7.62. http://store.steampowered.com/app/289890/762_High_Calibre/
Back then it was so riddled with bugs it was unplayable. Steam reviews now seem pretty decent, so I imagine they fixed it.
What is "Hard Life"? Is that an expansion or something?

And yes, it's buggy, but as long as you make a habit of saving non-stop, you will be able to survive. Super buggy but super good game.

There's a goon-made mod (blue-something) that improves it in a lot of ways. I'll have to find the old thread for the game.

e: Blue Sun Mod is the one. If you're going to try 7.62, you will want (read: need) to play with this mod installed. Like I mentioned, the vanilla game is super buggy, but it is also unforgiving and murderously difficult. There is an early battle (which you can't bypass, IIRC) that will stomp a new hole in your rear end and make you want to give up right off the bat. BSM will at least give you a fighting chance.

Install BSM.

Apparently Hard Life is an expansion (or something) that starts you in the rebel camp (or something) instead of the normal start. I would assume that means you're aligned with the rebels, which basically means "get hosed."

e2: For anyone still reading, you should definitely play this game. Especially if you're a sperg and/or have masochistic tendencies.

e3: Oh my god, there's a current LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838096 :lol:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 20, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I never played any of the dragonage games, which one should I buy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The first one is good but may seem a little outdated.

The second one sucks.

Inquisition has a lot of areas to go to but quite a few side quests are just fetch quests and pretty forgettable. Nonetheless I had a lot of fun with Inquisition.

You also don't need to play them in order so I would say play Inquisition. Definitely skip 2 though.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I never played any of the dragonage games, which one should I buy

The first one, Dragon Age: Origins, actually aged pretty well. I go back and replay it periodically. Obviously, the graphics are no longer top notch, but the writing is great, and your choices actually impact the plot. It's also the only game that has any sense of urgency, and the only one with companions you'll care about and adversaries that you'll actually want to beat. Back when it first came out, I remember that it reminded me of the Song of Ice and Fire series of books (Game of Thrones), and that's not a vibe I ever got from the sequels. It's also the only one that felt like a window into a well-developed world, and not just a generic Tolkien ripoff.

The second game was crippled by poor RPG mechanics, bad writing, and an obviously rushed development cycle. I only ever played it once, but I distinctly remember being disappointed. Shameful highlights include playing through the same dungeons several times, with the excuse that they keep getting infested with baby dragons. Or something. The plot is also super predictable, and you can see the "twists" coming a mile in advance.

The third feels like a cross between the first two, with a bit too much of #2. It's not... bad... but it is completely forgettable. And grindy. If you don't do any of the completely pointless fetch quests (gather 10 flowers and 15 mineral samples! Because!), there's really not a whole lot of meat to the game.

Edit: the first game had an expansion, Dragon Age: Awakening. That was pretty good, too.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

dragon age origins is also the only one on steam so that makes this decision easier. gonna wait for it to go on sale

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Last Jagged Alliance 1 update for the weekend.

Fidel with the 97/100 explosives skill keeps failing explosives skill checks which results in boom-boom & Fidel dead.
Once I got really lucky in sector 39 when Fidel's failed explosive check blew up himself along with two floating bridges, 2 other mercs, and 3 native guides
(they were in-transit on the other cleared of boobytraps bridge)...I am really happy I enabled quick saves at anytime when playing the game.

Current JA1 goals:
-find more ammo & 1st aid kits.
-witness a metavira eel gently caress up a enemy merc in the water.
-5 pocket vests for everyone including metaviran eels.
-repair all the beat-up gear I'm scavenging from dead enemies/boobytraps/crates.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I think I might be getting too old for vidya games: gave Fortnite's F2P battle royal-mode a try, and I just don't see the appeal of it or PUBG. Seems like an endless cycle of frustration punctuated by brief flashes of actual fun.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're only fun with groups. Playing it alone it's paranoid scavenging before getting headshotted across a valley or blown away in town. I can't get into a groove the way I can with titanfall or other shooters, so I just get frustrated with dying all the time.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

What is "Hard Life"? Is that an expansion or something?

And yes, it's buggy, but as long as you make a habit of saving non-stop, you will be able to survive. Super buggy but super good game.

There's a goon-made mod (blue-something) that improves it in a lot of ways. I'll have to find the old thread for the game.

e: Blue Sun Mod is the one. If you're going to try 7.62, you will want (read: need) to play with this mod installed. Like I mentioned, the vanilla game is super buggy, but it is also unforgiving and murderously difficult. There is an early battle (which you can't bypass, IIRC) that will stomp a new hole in your rear end and make you want to give up right off the bat. BSM will at least give you a fighting chance.

Install BSM.

Apparently Hard Life is an expansion (or something) that starts you in the rebel camp (or something) instead of the normal start. I would assume that means you're aligned with the rebels, which basically means "get hosed."

e2: For anyone still reading, you should definitely play this game. Especially if you're a sperg and/or have masochistic tendencies.

e3: Oh my god, there's a current LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838096 :lol:

What does BSM do, exactly?? Tune the difficulty, or also gets rid of bugs?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It fixes a lot of bugs, adds a lot of weapons, and tweaks the starting conditions for you a bit. As I recall, it doesn't directly tweak the difficulty, but those starting tweaks make that early I mentioned a little bit easier because it's such a huge hump to get over.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got rainbow seige 6 because it was 50% off and its ok so far

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
COD public matchmaking still sucks ....

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Did they ever figure out the netcode for that game 🤔

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee59XkEufjA

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Loot boxes!

The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies. November, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

holy poo poo

it took me a second I thought it was an onion or college humor skit at first

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
LOL forever if EA killed the golden goose.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol at the flippant reporter question asking the dude at the end why he cares about the kids so much

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

good lord I'm going to laugh if EA ends up killing these bullshit microtransactions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

i bet it gives parents hella leverage over their kids. You cannot unlock Vader until you bring your GPA up! I'm 100% on their side and gently caress EA but I still lol a bit at a teen running around with unrestricted credit card use or something. I suppose some parents allow this but have to learn the microtransaction scheme debacle at some point when their kid is spending hundreds a week

this coupled with Belgium looking into it, drat

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i bet it gives parents hella leverage over their kids. You cannot unlock Vader until you bring your GPA up! I'm 100% on their side and gently caress EA but I still lol a bit at a teen running around with unrestricted credit card use or something. I suppose some parents allow this but have to learn the microtransaction scheme debacle at some point when their kid is spending hundreds a week

the thing is the parents don't know its happening. You ask your parents for an xbox live subscription which is 100 bucks a year or whatever so they say sure. That credit card info is saved though so they don't have to put in the info every single time. And the parents don't notice a few five dollar purchases but it adds up a fuckton over a year.

I think that because this poo poo is tied to Disney its going to be very easy to get parents on board. This isn't some random bullshit game, everyone knows what star wars is and the game is getting a lot of advertisement time.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 22, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol i'm impressed any kid has that much self control really. But yeah, I get ya

In the Battlefront thread someone mentioned it's only because the ESBR which was made so the government didn't have to regulate games declared loot boxes to not be gambling

Disneyland unsurprisingly cares a lot about their whole image/vibe and I'm sure they're scrambling right now and there's a lot of angry phone calls/nastygrams. But yeah, this is definitely going to draw a lot more attention than any other game would have

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

holy poo poo

it took me a second I thought it was an onion or college humor skit at first

Google doesn't turn anything up on this. Or maybe my google-fu skills are weak.

The Belgian investigation is 100% real, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

it's literally just breaking I think, here's the reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7ekx8k/hawaii_state_representative_on_ea_predatory/

wherein it's pointed out that the first speaker is legit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Lee_(Hawaii_politician)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LOL at this guy:

quote:

[–]SamVonSam [score hidden] 15 minutes ago
Meh. I would much rather see the industry self-regulate like the comics industry did. I'm incredibly wary of the hidden hand of government screwing something else up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I was waiting for the mod video games to create a general loot box thread to talk about it, but that is basically what happened in japan.

Granblue fantsy hosed over everyone in japan, but even then it is still bad there as far as their loot boxes go.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

france and uk too

so expect the eu

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya someone mentioned usually this sort of thing makes waves in those markets, Canada, Australia, etc. Then it spills over into the regulations we see

this couldn't be any more delicious

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The loot box page on wikipedia has more info on it.

It really boils down to pissing off the right people like a senator or his children.

The chinese one is great since now all loot boxes have to show your percentage chance to win.

Blizzard got around this in a loop hole because they wanted to be scummy.

You paid how much yuan for a loot box? It gave you how much currency in it?

How about you buy about that same amount of currency and we give you free loot boxes for the same amount of yuan.

And this was for loving overwatch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol i'm impressed any kid has that much self control really. But yeah, I get ya

In the Battlefront thread someone mentioned it's only because the ESBR which was made so the government didn't have to regulate games declared loot boxes to not be gambling

Disneyland unsurprisingly cares a lot about their whole image/vibe and I'm sure they're scrambling right now and there's a lot of angry phone calls/nastygrams. But yeah, this is definitely going to draw a lot more attention than any other game would have

Does Disney truck with all that mobile phone microtransaction stuff?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"We didn't allow Joe Camel to encourage your kids to smoke cigarettes, and we shouldn't allow Star Wars to encourage your kids to gamble." :lol:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Does Disney truck with all that mobile phone microtransaction stuff?

yep

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

whatever generates money and not bad press

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know that poo poo is worth big bucks when you download some simple game for your phone and there's packs that you can buy for 120 dollars straight out the gate.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo has anyone tried that new Need For Speed?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Bought MGS V and having never played any Metal Gear-games, that intro sequence sure was... something :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Bought MGS V and having never played any Metal Gear-games, that intro sequence sure was... something :stare:

it gets more normal. It has a few weird anime parts but the majority of the game is really good.