Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

nah you still will have legit crazy people buying up poo poo, like that dude who bought 4 or 5 of the base building ships

That was me

I'm a p big deal in the 'verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I think they could do loot boxes. Inside this box is a key for a mystery ship, it could be a Constellation, it could be a Saber, it could be a Xi'an capital ship! Their customers don't care about actually being able to use the ship.

Another free idea for CIG marketing: in-combat purchases. Losing a fight? Click the Deus Ex Machina (this is a very cinematic term, Roberts will love it) button, and for a small payment your opponent's weapon system will malfunction! But then when you turn to run, they make a purchase and your navigator dies of a heart attack! Can you outlast your opponent's purchasing might?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Combat Theory posted:

There goes 33% of cigs networking workforce.

Press <USE> to pay respects

:lol::lol::lol:

I’m surprised he stuck there for three years. Just imagining the culture at a gaming studio ostensibly designing an MMOwhere a networking engineer can’t get a word in but some guy working on the 4th refinement pass of the 3rd incarnation of a some 50000 poly helmet probably is working on mission critical business just cracks me up.

Keep doing what you’re doing, CIG!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think they could do loot boxes. Inside this box is a key for a mystery ship, it could be a Constellation, it could be a Saber, it could be a Xi'an capital ship! Their customers don't care about actually being able to use the ship.

Another free idea for CIG marketing: in-combat purchases. Losing a fight? Click the Deus Ex Machina (this is a very cinematic term, Roberts will love it) button, and for a small payment your opponent's weapon system will malfunction! But then when you turn to run, they make a purchase and your navigator dies of a heart attack! Can you outlast your opponent's purchasing might?

They don't even need to do ship lootboxes. They've been teasing lootbox content for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEbPv_GMnc&t=131s

Tell me citizens wouldn't lose their loving minds over some boxes that had a chance to contain skins like that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

lol I just noticed the video description

Okay, Hater. Dial it back a bit, buddy.

http://www.24australia.xyz/video/watch/the-tesla-avern-part-i-car-commercial/14242-24australia

quote:

The brand new deal between Intel and Tesla has brought us a step forward in both luxury, speed, and class. For only 200$ down, you can reserve one of these beautiful cars. They're reportedly going to be sold publicly around the newest sale, straying away from everyone's initial thoughts of the vehicle being forever locked behind a rather expensive Intel purchase. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful machine, and a joy to drive. PART I of III (People talking about "Star Citizen" will be banned.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

hahahaha jesus christ the desperation is palpable. Also :laffo: if they make the Intel SSDestroyer available for sale in two weeks. Buncha nerds are gonna be maaaaaaad

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AngusPodgorny posted:

I'd like to see them try. Their consumer base is still stuck on "No subscription fees!"

Star Citizen loot boxes would be the best gift they could give to the Evil Goons and Derpy Shart.

You can't sell an $850 pull on a slot machine for a ship. Maybe $5, but then anyone who bought a ship outright would be pissed at the people who won one, and anyone who won only a purple hat would also be pissed. It would wreck the sales environment they are milking.

That second thing, cards for combat advantages, I think that would get death threats sent to CIG.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

hahahaha jesus christ the desperation is palpable. Also :laffo: if they make the Intel SSDestroyer available for sale in two weeks. Buncha nerds are gonna be maaaaaaad

It would be a shame if someone were to report those videos for copywrite stuff....

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm actually a little surprised that the base-building ship didn't make up a huge part of the gap. I thought nerds were gonna lose their mind over that one.

Would have agreed before the CitizenCon performance. I felt for those poor dudes, staring at the table, voices breaking as they mumbled about land claims and knowledge trading.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
On the other hand, these are people that will bend over backwards to just thousand dollar ship purchases as not being pay-to-win. The situation is already a parody of microtransations; might as well see how far people can be pushed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You guys aren't thinking big enough, they are not "loot crates" they are "prize hangars". Forgotten hangars that have been locked forever and for which you can buy a key. Nobody knows the contents but they may have any sort of ships inside!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Foo Diddley posted:

That was me

I'm a p big deal in the 'verse

How do those ships handle? They seem bulky.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AngusPodgorny posted:

On the other hand, these are people that will bend over backwards to just thousand dollar ship purchases as not being pay-to-win. The situation is already a parody of microtransations; might as well see how far people can be pushed.

No. No. No. They are not paying to win, they are purchasing the experience of the journey.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

You guys aren't thinking big enough, they are not "loot crates" they are "prize hangars". Forgotten hangars that have been locked forever and for which you can buy a key. Nobody knows the contents but they may have any sort of ships inside!

They can bid on them in auctions, like that show Storage Wars. Now you've got something.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AngusPodgorny posted:

This. CIG could sell everything in a loot box and citizens would spend all their time explaining how they weren't really loot boxes

Mangoose posted:

How do those ships handle? They seem bulky.

They handle like an FPS character in noclip mode, just like all the other ships

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

I just want to see Fandred crossing the border like a proper Cold War defection. Huge concrete wall, rain-slick streets, signs in a strange Xi'an language, sinister men in trenchcoats giving the signal.

Then he's over the barbed wire and running. Alarms blare and searchlights spark up, oh no! Gunshots ring out! Then the entire border guard force suddenly clip through their own guard towers and collapse spasming.

Derek and Beer adjust their long grey coat collars and smuggle him into a basement full of angry, dancing cats. They send the codeword - defector secure. Crack teams of refunders swing into action. By the next morning, Fandred's been smuggled into Prague hidden in the bottom of a crate of Wing Commander memorabilia and his refund has been laundered through a dozen offshore investment accounts from Siberia to Madagascar.

Shhh, shhh, you're safe now. Another freed from the long shadow of the Crobbler.

I loved reading this and I could picture the late 90's Hans Zimmer soundtrack that would accompany the escape.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

I don't get this stupid joke :(

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Holy smokes that latest glassdoor

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

trucutru posted:

Yuuuuuup! Citizens will love it!

e: fb

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

Loot boxes require a playable game. It would be suicidal for them to do loot boxes. Cosmetic or otherwise. You simply can't payable loot box a tech demo.

So, loot boxes in tech demo's have never been done before?

Uh oh. :ohdear:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I loved reading this and I could picture the late 90's Hans Zimmer soundtrack that would accompany the escape.

The trouble is, once he's into the safety of the bunker and away from CIG's concentration camp, the scene will suddenly go a bit Clockwork Orange.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I know is that the reddit masses are getting restless. Right now negative threads and comments are getting upvoted and the shills cannot contain them, there is 2-3 per day with hundreds of skeptical comments about the game.

Like, six months ago stuff like this would generate a billion downvotes and have some of the knights attacking it immediately:

Nowadays? nobody really cares, it gets some upvotes, but it is no longer a debatable topic.

Citcon and its procedural city planet stuff only bought them less than a month of good faith this time, so I doubt any brand new ships and the like will be effective. They need to release 3.0, and it has to be not complete poo poo, for CIG to have a funding chance.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SomethingJones posted:

Holy smokes that latest glassdoor

cuts to the core and if real holy poo poo.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

trucutru posted:

Put in an idris or the scythe (with lti) and boom. .0000000000001% chance but be nice and drop 3 of the first few to buy so they go nuts on the forums
about what they won.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

I’m surprised he stuck there for three years. Just imagining the culture at a gaming studio ostensibly designing an MMOwhere a networking engineer can’t get a word in but some guy working on the 4th refinement pass of the 3rd incarnation of a some 50000 poly helmet probably is working on mission critical business just cracks me up.

Keep doing what you’re doing, CIG!

I think he may have had trouble finding a new job when Star Citizen - Network Engineer (Programmer) was on his resume.
Had to find a studio that believed him when he said he had nothing to do with the state of things.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RIP Star Citizen. Do you think the great content desert from 2.5 to 3.0 was caused by a plague of content locusts?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

trucutru posted:

The only thing I know is that the reddit masses are getting restless. Right now negative threads and comments are getting upvoted and the shills cannot contain them, there is 2-3 per day with hundreds of skeptical comments about the game.

Like, six months ago stuff like this would generate a billion downvotes and have some of the knights attacking it immediately:

Nowadays? nobody really cares, it gets some upvotes, but it is no longer a debatable topic.

Citcon and its procedural city planet stuff only bought them less than a month of good faith this time, so I doubt any brand new ships and the like will be effective. They need to release 3.0, and it has to be not complete poo poo, for CIG to have a funding chance.

Last year backers got pretty pissed off after they bought $10,000,000+ worth of lies during Gamescom, Citcon and the Anniversary sale. By the time the Holiday sale rolled around and it was obvious 3.0 wasn't coming out they had some negative threads that were so popular they were hitting the most popular on reddit for having 3,000 - 4,000 upvotes extremely quickly. Luckily the mods of r/starcitizen were able to delete every single negative thread and leave only the dreams intact.

Those people didn't go anywhere though so I expect waiting another year to be at the exact same position being repeatedly pushed into sale after sale after sale will boil over into some salt again.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

RIP Star Citizen. Do you think the great content desert from 2.5 to 3.0 was caused by a plague of content locusts?

Between 2.0 and 2.6 they added: Grimhex, Star Marine, and some ships, that's it for content. I think the locusts arrived much earlier.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

a cargo/trading "gameplay loop" is featured in whatever this segment is now: https://youtu.be/rbC1OmEB-nE?t=4m

Did they completely redo the cutlass again or is that some entirely different ship?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lmao amazing. I should go gently caress with him by talking about how Fandred served our purposes admirably so now that account is getting retired.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

come join the fun fandred, you're already accused of being a goon so may as well go the whole hog and be one

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, that's pathetic. I wonder how many tiny little boxes can you actually buy? The interface seems to have a max of 8.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Lmao amazing. I should go gently caress with him by talking about how Fandred served our purposes admirably so now that account is getting retired.

I need this in my life

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

come join the fun fandred, you're already accused of being a goon so may as well go the whole hog and be one

at this point I'd honestly just abandon ship, roll a new reddit account, and start playing bejeweled while browsing pictures of cats to stay as far away as possible from anything star citizen related.

and then come back with a shitposting vengeance when reddit turns on cig for real

also good job whoever sc_white_knight is

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Just congratulate him on discovering one of the deepcover goons and then ask him if he's found all the others yet. :D

That'll gently caress him right up, probably won't sleep for a week. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

at this point I'd honestly just abandon ship, roll a new reddit account, and start playing bejeweled while browsing pictures of cats to stay as far away as possible from anything star citizen related

good advice for all of us

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagine a venue besides Twitter where one can address the Warlord directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Wow, I can't wait to trade all kinds of goods between Port Olisar and... uh...

Well anyway, I'm sure it will be amazing and not a boring tedious grind like Elite