Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean you're basically FW's target audience so yes? Personally I would buy a Warhound instead.

Neither of these is a Mastodon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Are any of the miniature manufacturers (either GW or the third-party ones like Mantic) gonna have Thanksgiving deals? Strongly doubting GW, but maybe the others

Not exactly miniatures, but AK Interactive and MIG do. Great way to get cheap and awesome basing supplies.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Mef989 posted:

Does anyone have experience with Wraithknights in 8e? Have they been completely neutered or are they still useful? Just wondering if it's worth picking one up on Black Friday.

It's a cool model and it can fill multiple roles.

But it costs too many points given other options in the codex. And since you have zero way to deepstrike it, if you get 2nd turn your odds of it to your turn drop dramatically, particularly depending on the deployment.

So, it depends on what you're looking for. I have two, with one still on sprue and am really excited to make it look awesome.

EDIT: On a separate note, I suspect I really like 40K 8E, as a new player, because every single one of my games has had at least one big ruin per 2x2 board area. I imagine I'd feel differently if I was playing without all the ruins and LOS-blocking stuff I have available.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bombogenesis posted:

Neither of these is a Mastodon.

If it could carry Primaris I would be down.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Attestant posted:

I think a huge part of the issue is that in 7th they were fully designed around various formations, including smaller formations nesting inside larger ones. Most of the different special rules those had never got translated to the 8th edition Index version. So all you have is a bunch of pretty basic dudes with a funky deployment option. I reckon once they get a codex, we'll see a lot more special rules on the various units, and a good amount of their old tricks returning as stratagems.

Tricks are fine, and I wouldn't mind seeing some cool stratagems, but 11 points for an acolyte is too much. We will have to see what an actual codex puts out, but genestealer cult is DOA as far as the Index goes unless you are putting a ton of points into Guard or Tyranids.

Acolytes are basically Ork boys stat-wise, but end up being double the price. Like you say there are a bunch of 7th edition tricks that you could use that don't really apply to 8th edition yet. So, for people eyeballing the Genestealer Cult box, I would say caveat emptor until they get a codex, which won't be for a while.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 20, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone in this thread has a really beautiful Blood Angels army and I can't find it. Please post it - i'm leaning toward bangles for my Primaris dudes.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it could carry Primaris I would be down.

This continues to confuse me. It's a fuckin' massive tank why not let the big boiz ride in it.

Semi-related. Anyone have any experience with the Tantalus? Was asked for gift ideas and it's the only thing I can really think of other thank some wyches/wracks(I have 72 kabalite warriors somebody help me I have a problem.).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dexefiend posted:

I am up to about 1200 points painted! Need to fill out Hellblasters to hit 1500.

Edit: he is a work in progress, obviously.

Holy hell, that yellow.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Was thinking about getting a bunker to put devastators in. Would they be unable to get rerolls when embarked?

Even without rerolls it's still tempting since usually Pedro is up front and not with the devs, and making them chew through a Leman Russ's defensive profile before the devs come out is appealing. Should I put a quad gun on it?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

It's a cool model and it can fill multiple roles.

But it costs too many points given other options in the codex. And since you have zero way to deepstrike it, if you get 2nd turn your odds of it to your turn drop dramatically, particularly depending on the deployment.

So, it depends on what you're looking for. I have two, with one still on sprue and am really excited to make it look awesome.

EDIT: On a separate note, I suspect I really like 40K 8E, as a new player, because every single one of my games has had at least one big ruin per 2x2 board area. I imagine I'd feel differently if I was playing without all the ruins and LOS-blocking stuff I have available.

Even as a guard player I really think the game is improved dramatically by lots of terrain specially right in the middle of the board preventing it from becoming like some Napoleonic gun-line dice roll fest

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
For MSU plague marines should they ALWAYS be in a rhino or is it feasible for them to footslog?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Someone in this thread has a really beautiful Blood Angels army and I can't find it. Please post it - i'm leaning toward bangles for my Primaris dudes.

I'm gonna guess Booley?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823939&userid=163965#post473858631

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, how are we not getting any rules leaks at all for the upcoming codices? This wait is killing me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Pendent posted:

Seriously, how are we not getting any rules leaks at all for the upcoming codices? This wait is killing me.

I reallllly want to see new primaris stuff for them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pendent posted:

They've honestly been pretty good at keeping codices locked up tight this edition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

We had those hilariously wishlishty Dark Angels rules, but that's been it so far.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

I think we'll start seeing previews next week after the Chapter Approved pre-order and Necromunda release.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
They have to build up to the big Primarch releases.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

For MSU plague marines should they ALWAYS be in a rhino or is it feasible for them to footslog?

Provided you have a large number of units they should be fine. The point costs of Rhinos is prohibitive and their special rule allows for surprisingly decent speed of movement on foot with minimal impact to damage output.

And by MSU you mean a unit of 7, right? :cheeky:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Was thinking about getting a bunker to put devastators in. Would they be unable to get rerolls when embarked?

Even without rerolls it's still tempting since usually Pedro is up front and not with the devs, and making them chew through a Leman Russ's defensive profile before the devs come out is appealing. Should I put a quad gun on it?

AFAIK no, because embarked figures are not on the board and therefore aren't within the aura.

quote:

Embarked units cannot normally do anything or be affected in any way whilst they are embarked. Unless specifically stated, abilities that affect other units within a certain range have no effect whilst the unit that has the ability is embarked.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aw yeah, that's the poo poo right there. Thanks! (Thank you as well, Booley.)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah that's probably mine?

Here's an album of all the shots I've got on imgur right now. Not in any real order. If there's anything else you'd like to see let me know, I can shoot a few shots real quick.

https://imgur.com/a/DgRS4

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Sanguinius was completely and utterly annihilated by Horus right

Are they really gonna bring him back or what

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Naw, he's "merely" dead. At the rate it's going, apparently Dante might well slot right into Sanguinius's old spot. Which I wouldn't really complain about.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

goose willis posted:

All I know is my gut says, "maybe."

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Not quite. He is totally 100% dead, but his soul still exists. Big E annihilated Horus' soul, so he's deader.

Hopefully not. I do want a primarch-level character, but I want them to make Mephiston / The Sanguinor a total badass instead of bringing back Sanguinius.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Booley posted:

Hopefully not. I do want a primarch-level character, but I want them to make Mephiston / The Sanguinor a total badass instead of bringing back Sanguinius.

I have good and bad news for you.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Very doubtful Sanguinius is coming back, for now at least. They just released an excellent BL novel detailing the Blood Angels battle against the Tyranids on Baal. Sanguinius was not resurrected in the book, although judging by the way he showed up for Dante in a vision as he lay dying he may be floating around in the warp somewhere instead of being completely obliterated.

If there are any new model releases for BA it's likely to be a maskless Dante in his role of Warden of the Imperium Nihilus, a new Mephiston, new primaris models or possibly some things that are essentially gigantic feral vampires that were released from imprisonment at the very end of the book. They did all seem to die though

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

He was unambiguously dead, but it left a body which is entombed deep beneath Baal so he could just pop back up who knows.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I know they're never going to bring Horus back but it would be awesome if they made Abaddon a Lord of War semi-primarch character considering he's basically Robot Girlyman but for Chaos

Like at this point Abaddon is very close to being a Lord of War mechanically so they might as well give him a bigger model and even better stats and make him even more badass

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Primaris'd Dante in his role as Warden of the Imperium Nihilus would be pretty sweet, both as an update to an older (finecast ugh) model and as an addition to the BA codex.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Primaris'd Dante in his role as Warden of the Imperium Nihilus would be pretty sweet, both as an update to an older (finecast ugh) model and as an addition to the BA codex.

I am almost completely certain they decided against allowing the old marines to get upgraded. There has been zero mention of that being a possibility in anything we've seen so far aside from that one comment when they were first announced.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Honestly I don't hate the Dante model. gently caress finecast (glad mine's metal), but it's far from the worst sculpt out there. Mephiston and the Sanguinor badly need new sculpts first (which is strange, since at least the sanguinor is a sculpt something like a decade older than Dante. The Dante sculpt is from 1995 and is old enough to drink.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

Honestly I don't hate the Dante model. gently caress finecast (glad mine's metal), but it's far from the worst sculpt out there. Mephiston and the Sanguinor badly need new sculpts first (which is strange, since at least the sanguinor is a sculpt something like a decade older than Dante. The Dante sculpt is from 1995 and is old enough to drink.

I don't hate it, but for someone who's supposed to be literally the second most important Imperial character (as of Devastation of Baal, at least), he's got a really unimpressive model. You could miss him in a group of Sanguinary Guard outright if you didn't know to be looking.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Booley posted:

The Dante sculpt is from 1995 and is old enough to drink.

Just wait until you see most of the Chaos marine model range :(

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Who isn't praying for a Dark Vampiric Resurrection for Sanguinus? I mean, they have his body and blood so all they need is a little dark magic and boom.

:drac:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

AFAIK no, because embarked figures are not on the board and therefore aren't within the aura.

This is correct. Not on the board, doesn't exist is basically the rule of thumb - anything which affects embarked models specifically calls them out.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Who isn't praying for a Dark Vampiric Resurrection for Sanguinus? I mean, they have his body and blood so all they need is a little dark magic and boom.

:drac:

Mmmm, sacrilicious!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Way back in ye olden 90s Sanguineus was 100% obliterated by Horus, it was part of why his Blood Angels have their curse because it was part pettiness by Horus but Big S death by his hand and removal of his psyche from the warp an what not was a huge deal.

Ferrus Manus was beheaded an arguably Night Haunter but neither of their simpler deaths caused a magical curse on eithers legion. Their problems were already apparent.

Point being is Sanguineus was supposed to be 100% no coming back dead which is why Big E did the same for Horus, it was no longer a question Horus had to be gone an oblivion was the only answer. But GW retcons are what they are.

It'll be return of Sanguineus or a fusion of his soul and Dantae either which cheapens the whole thing. But slow roll outs of primarchs in 40k are their long game because hey it worked in 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

My first shot at a Salamander dread. The rest of my SM army is painted purple, but I will start using the Salamanders scheme on all the new ones. It's a WiP, but I am happy with the result so far, considering I got zero artistic genes in my body.