Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

4* Witch is absolutely the best way for most black mages with it to build gauge against ice/lightning weak bosses or neutral bosses. It's not Wrath/Lifesiphon, but few things are. If you need your SBs in order to apply buffs/do damage/etc then it still has a niche.

5* Witch is trash garbage except for building up chain multipliers, and even then it probably loses out to Chain -gas after buffs.

Makes sense. Gauge is a reasonable thing to focus on for the 4* I didn't think of - my 4* Witch caster is Terra, so I just give her Wrath. (I also have Edea at 5*, but she usually carries Chain Blizzaga and Memento Mori.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

5* Witch is fun for the Ultima Nightmare boss. It's got that going for it at least.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
What are Jump Start Battles and how hard to they actually get?

What the hell is the crystal tower

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i feel like youre going to rage quit again p soon because i don't know what pissed you off before but this content is harder than ever

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I rage Quitted by using 400+ Mythril and getting 4 (or 5 I forget) Tellah Sticks for it

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Shoenin posted:

Jump Start: All of your characters start out with full three bars of Soul Breaks. But they cannot build up any more than those three uses. These are usually slightly easier versions of the events last boss, since having three SB right out of the gate is strong poo poo.

Crystal Tower: Four or more difficult bosses, with entirely standard fight mechanics. The trick is that if you want full rewards, you need to clear all of the bosses using different characters. So for example if you'd bring Tyro for the Squall fight, you can not use him on any of the rest. You can just do them one at a time for usual mastery and completion rewards, but for the Cid's Mission stuff you gotta clear them with four unique teams.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shoenin posted:

They're relatively high difficulty, BUT you start with 3 SB gauges full on every character, and can't gain any more gauge. What this means is that abilities like lifesiphon and wrath, and RMs like Dr. Mog's Teaching and Mako Might are pointless. You can use +damage RMs and such. It also means you can really let loose with your strongest SB combinations, so they actually tend to be kinda easyish.

Oh... you don't know about Cloud USB. So, Cloud USB kinda broke the game. It gives +30% damage to physical attacks, 100% critical rate... and it lets you break the damage cap on everything. So let's say you have a wind-weak boss, and a character with an Enwind multi-hit SB. You buff up with Shout and whatever, summon Cloud USB onto that character, and then spam the SB to do like 30,000 damage x 8 hits or whatever.

Shoenin posted:

I just told you about it....

Schwartzcough posted:

Crystal Tower is becoming a thing, where you have to come up with a different team for each of 4 high-difficulty bosses (you can reuse abilities, equipment, RMs, etc; just not characters).

So once you use a team of characters to do one of the fights, those characters are locked out when you're doing the remaining fights. It forces you to come up with 4 distinct teams rather than just using your A-team for everything. Of course, you can just reset the tower and do each of the fights once with your A-team, but you give up the 5-star mote cid mission rewards.

Oh right, we have "legend dives" now that use 5* motes. Once you fill out a character's 4* record spheres, you can unlock their legend dive board (not every character has one yet) with huge stat buffs and powerful "legend materia" that only that character can use, that lets you do things like doublecast white magic abilities and such.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Tellah stick is on one of the current banners so if you think you could use some more...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Shoenin posted:

Hey you mugs im back

of course you came back for the new Rydia toys

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Don't do RK things while half asleep folks. I accidentally burned 5 mythril just trying to do my 100 gem on the second banner because I had just briefly woken up.

At least I didn't accidentally buy a whale gem pack or something.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Don't do RK things while half asleep folks. I accidentally burned 5 mythril just trying to do my 100 gem on the second banner because I had just briefly woken up.

At least I didn't accidentally buy a whale gem pack or something.

haha yes who would do that

:shepicide:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Whoops, sorry Schwartzcough, missed that. Thank ye.

Shock Trooper posted:

Those fuckers at Squeenix know my weaknesses quite well. They even have me hyped for some anime fighter for a cameo despite knowing it will 100% never show up outside the states.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh... you don't know about Cloud USB. So, Cloud USB kinda broke the game. It gives +30% damage to physical attacks, 100% critical rate... and it lets you break the damage cap on everything. So let's say you have a wind-weak boss, and a character with an Enwind multi-hit SB. You buff up with Shout and whatever, summon Cloud USB onto that character, and then spam the SB to do like 30,000 damage x 8 hits or whatever.

As a minor note, it only breaks the damage cap on physical damage. There is no buff that is a magical equivalent (and there almost certainly will not ever be, given how broken Cloud USB is, even taking into account that spells don't crit).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok what's the gimmick with this Mom Bomb fight? I have wall and proshellga up and Asylum as well and the self destructs do way too much damage to keep up with and if I slow down my offense I eat an AoE 9999.

Can I blink the self destructs or something? This is total horse poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok what's the gimmick with this Mom Bomb fight? I have wall and proshellga up and Asylum as well and the self destructs do way too much damage to keep up with and if I slow down my offense I eat an AoE 9999.

Can I blink the self destructs or something? This is total horse poo poo.

You don't need protect because it's all magic damage. AOE damage is the fastest way to deal with them, but you don't want to kill them all at the same time because they do a piercing AOE attack when they die. But don't take it slow because they explode after 5 turns and do AOE damage equal to their remaining HP.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they're gravity-based, so Instant KO-resist accessories will make them miss sometimes. I just tanked them, it was about as much damage as a CMD2 medica, so I killed two, healed up with CMD2, killed two more, used BSB to heal fully, then killed two more while CMD2ing once. Was enough to keep me alive, mostly. Lost one person but it didn't cost me KO medals.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 20, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just give everyone fire res. I tanked like 5 in a row and only my lvl 80 Rydia died. Also they can be mblinked.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
This game really does not want me to have water or earth relics. I have Bartz USB for coverage of each of those elements and that's it. I did a draw on last night's banner hoping for some of Rydia's water stuff or the monk BSBs for earth and went 2/11; Golbez USB and Ursula SSB. The USB is kinda neat, but I'm not really sure about Golbez's whole mage-tank gimmick. I have his bsb already, anybody have advice on how to run him? The SSB seems pretty bad.

Hoping I have better luck on the upcoming FFX banner that is absolutely stacked with water relics. As long as I can successfully avoid Wakka's relics or the SSB's on that banner I'll be happy.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Shock Trooper posted:

I'd be lying if I denied pulling on her banners. Raiden of Mist is a miserable heel in WVGCW, but she was easily one of my favorite characters in IV. She had to develop trust in the very man who burned down her village, overcome her fear of fire, and bring another grief-stricken survivor to his senses, all while being a little girl.

When she came back to save the party from getting chumped by Golbez's shadow dragon was one of my favorite surprises of the game.

She's getting deservedly poo poo on in VGCW, and I hope at some point she gets her head out of her rear end (and not in a sudden, unexplainable face turn either)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

KataraniSword posted:

4* Witch is absolutely the best way for most black mages with it to build gauge against ice/lightning weak bosses or neutral bosses. It's not Wrath/Lifesiphon, but few things are. If you need your SBs in order to apply buffs/do damage/etc then it still has a niche.

5* Witch is trash garbage except for building up chain multipliers, and even then it probably loses out to Chain -gas after buffs.

I use Lulu USB to make the 5* witch ice spell instant-cast. It then does about 33k damage to Fenrir, sometimes double-casting. That's straight up better than Chain Blizzaga right now.

I'm not saying that it'll keep up after the adjustments, just saying that I've gotten good use out of it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

JS Rubicante is a jackass, I can't even get my mitigation setup half the time.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I had to run wall to survive the firaga spam but with hindsight I could've just slapped fire resist on everyone like ZiegeDame said.

This is probably a fight where sharing a strat will help someone so:

99 Edge water things with +40 ninja (USB)
65 Rosa Haste / Ultra Cure
90 Porom Curada / Protectga (BSB) Mako Might
99 Golbez MM / Dire Heal
70 Edward Angelsong / Shellga Gathering Storm

So literally everyone except the lord of edges can heal.

RW Wall

My magicite was Shadow Dragon with bunch of random things I need to level, run Enkidu instead

Phase 1

Rosa hastes people one by one starting with Edge. Defends before the explosion.
Edge solos the first form of Mom Bomb with Raging Waters.
Golbez helps a bit I guess
Edward casts Angelsong to Shellga to RW to magicite. Defend before explosion
Porom Protectga -> Curada

Phase 2

Rosa Ultra Cure until she died for the cause
Edge Raging Waters, USB to help speed things along
Golbez Dire Heals
Porom BSB to Curadas
Edward tanks damage by just defending

Also Porom is trash garbage as a healer and her BSB is mediocre if not straight up bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that Bismarck will give everyone one shot of Fire immunity.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

After punching JS Rubicante in the dick I got all the motes I needed to finish my second LD.

:getin:

Boy if I ever finally get around to doing the rest of the nightmares so I can do magicites I'm going to enjoy tearing Golem a new one.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
What pairs better with Alphinaud's USB - Neo Bahamut or Valigarmanda? NB has an extra hit but it seems like elemental damage is king at the moment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

private message posted:

What pairs better with Alphinaud's USB - Neo Bahamut or Valigarmanda? NB has an extra hit but it seems like elemental damage is king at the moment.

Tiamat

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Neo Bahamut for sure. Alphinaud with LD and USB can reliably hit harder than Valigarmanda is capable of, and doesn't have to worry about resistances.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Newbie News: Finally took care of Valigarmanda (which was the most annoying nightmare fight imo) and got to see what all this magicite poo poo was about.

Got my first kill on Hydra, just barely missing sub60 :(

Then took out Liquid Flame as my second

Feelin' pretty good about those since I'm sure I can get sub60 with some tweaks and/or leveling. I stupidly tried Golem as my very first magicite try, since I have a good wind team, except it's physical... During that I was just thinking "holy poo poo am I really this far behind / how are magicites even going to be possible" etc. I can see sub30 bein a bit further off since I still have a lot of honing to work on.

Also just completed Bartz and Y'shtola as my first two legend dives, wondering who should be next. I have enough dex/vit to fully LD someone like my Cloud (USB/BSB2) or Squall (USB/BSB2), but I think I'll read more into magicites and do more general planning before making any decisions on that. I'm really hating the fact that I missed out on so many MC3s during the renewals because I ran out of time before even finishing the classic dungeons side (almost got thru FFT)... oh well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zurai posted:

Neo Bahamut for sure. Alphinaud with LD and USB can reliably hit harder than Valigarmanda is capable of, and doesn't have to worry about resistances.

Is that true across all content? From what I've seen Vali hits much harder on magicite stuff (if it's hitting a weakness) and there are way more people who can double-cast it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vali is 16.5/3, Neo B is 19.2/4. With even a 20% weakness Vali will hit harder, assuming you're not hitting the damage cap.

Tiamat, on the other hand, benefits from the USB's enwind, and is also significantly easier to hone to get a bigger boost from Dreadywrm Trance.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my THIRD LD finally (now that I'm getting into the swing of JS)

First Lightning (osb/usb/enlight ssb), then Squall (bsb2), then Noctis (usb/bsb/ssb)

Close to finishing Raines, then Y'shtola, then I am not sure what else...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I dove shelke just to see what all the fuss is about and yeah shes a pretty good entrust bot with all that instant cast and haste

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Tiamat, on the other hand, benefits from the USB's enwind, and is also significantly easier to hone to get a bigger boost from Dreadywrm Trance.

Yeah, this is the important thing. Let's be generous and assume that you're a week 1 player who has the orbs/crystals to get Neo Bahamut to R3.

With his USB active, a R3 Neo Bahamut gets a 15% boost, which means it's effectively 4x 5.52 potency hits, or a total 22.08 power attack.

With his USB active, the numbers for Tiamat at its top threshold (so three hits) are:
R3: 3x 10.35 potency (6 base potency, +50% from enwind, +15% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 31.05 total
R4: 3x 10.8 potency (+20% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 32.4 total
R5: 3x 11.7 potency (+30% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 35.1 total

The only time you'd use Neo Bahamut over Tiamat are when you can't hit the three-hit threshold, when the boss resists Wind, and when you're damage capping no matter what (4x 9999 is always better than 3x 9999). Even then, an argument could be made for Bahamut - the vanilla 5* one - being a better option for the first two scenarios due to the relative ease of honing.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
In that case is it better just to do Alphinaud USB -> BSB -> CMD1 spam, and forget the summon all together?

private message fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

private message posted:

In that case is it better just to do Alphinaud USB -> BSB -> CMD1 spam, and forget the summon all together?

No, because BSB commands have crappy power and count as R1 for the purposes of the damage boost. Alph BSB is real good, especially with his legend dive, but his USB doesn't play well with it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ZiegeDame posted:

Just give everyone fire res. I tanked like 5 in a row and only my lvl 80 Rydia died. Also they can be mblinked.

OK I'll do this. Thanks!

I also managed to clear out 60+ inventory slots by going through the arduous task of loading up my physical A-Team and my mage A-Team in each realm, hitting Optimize, and tallying up everything that appeared at least once. Then I went through my entire inventory and vaulted anything that didn't come up at least once unless:

- It had an element boost and not dumpy stats
- It had an element resist and not dumpy stats
- It had comparable alternate stats to something else that I kept
- It was a special type of weapon that only certain people could use (whips, katanas, etc.)
--- I vaulted low stat items of the same type though

I had to spend 1 mythril to expand my vault to 150 but I shouldn't have to do that again for a really long time and it feels good.

I also learned a lot about what the game thinks is "Optimal" and what I think is Optimal. For example I never realized that mages get armor assigned to them almost solely on the RES stat. This is really stupid and terrible and I'm going to start spending more time making sure my mages have better stuff after I mash the Optimize button in the future. I ended up keeping some hats and bracers and things like that just to max out the MAG stat without sacrificing too much protection.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
We're apparently getting BRABRA part 2 tomorrow. Echo's BSB1 finally makes an appearance from the skipped Mobius event, Mog's LMR from JPs... 3rd? BRABRA event, and the surprising inclusion of Tyro's LMR from the skipped (or upcoming?) Superfest.

Relics:

Mog USB
Deuce USB
Faris USB2 (The debuff + Wind Imperil)
Echo BSB1 - 40% HP Medica, Party MAG/RES +30%
  • Command 1: 4-hit Lightning/NE damage
  • Command 2: AoE MAG -40%, 20% Chance of Stop (Note: Heathen Frolic Sarabande is MAG -50%)
Mog BSB
Deuce BSB
Krile BSB
Tyro LMR - Start with Instant Cast 2
Mog LMR - Stat Buff duration +30%
Deuce LMR
Faris SSB
Echo SSB1 (the Hastega)

I'd personally say this banner isn't that great, especially falling pretty close to things like FFTA. Mof and Deuce's stuff and Tyro's LMR are pretty nice, but nothing else stands out a lot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

Vali is 16.5/3, Neo B is 19.2/4. With even a 20% weakness Vali will hit harder, assuming you're not hitting the damage cap.

You don't even need a 20% weakness, just any +element gear that matches Vali's Fire/Ice/Lightning set. Alphinaud would still prefer +Wind equipment, but +Fire/Lightning stuff is pretty easy to come by.

pichupal posted:

I'd personally say this banner isn't that great, especially falling pretty close to things like FFTA. Mof and Deuce's stuff and Tyro's LMR are pretty nice, but nothing else stands out a lot.

It's actually not that bad; it'd be way better if it was Echo BSB2, but it's a solid buff banner for mage teams, especially in light of things like Crystal Tower.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 21, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Definitely skippable, I think. We're too close to too many good banners for something like this, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is that true across all content? From what I've seen Vali hits much harder on magicite stuff (if it's hitting a weakness) and there are way more people who can double-cast it.

The question was only about Alphinaud. Anyway, you're not going to hone Valigarmanda just for Magicites because it deals less damage than a Chain -ga (post buff). Let's be totally clear here: honing either Valigarmanda OR Neo Bahamut is a vanity project.

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, this is the important thing. Let's be generous and assume that you're a week 1 player who has the orbs/crystals to get Neo Bahamut to R3.

With his USB active, a R3 Neo Bahamut gets a 15% boost, which means it's effectively 4x 5.52 potency hits, or a total 22.08 power attack.

With his USB active, the numbers for Tiamat at its top threshold (so three hits) are:
R3: 3x 10.35 potency (6 base potency, +50% from enwind, +15% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 31.05 total
R4: 3x 10.8 potency (+20% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 32.4 total
R5: 3x 11.7 potency (+30% from Dreadwyrm Trance), 35.1 total

The only time you'd use Neo Bahamut over Tiamat are when you can't hit the three-hit threshold, when the boss resists Wind, and when you're damage capping no matter what (4x 9999 is always better than 3x 9999). Even then, an argument could be made for Bahamut - the vanilla 5* one - being a better option for the first two scenarios due to the relative ease of honing.

3 hits at 1 million potency (but 9999 damage cap) each is still worse than 4 hits at just enough potency to deal 7500 damage each. You're doing irrelevant math because 11.7 potency per hit is going to go so far over 9999 damage that it's Kerplode XXXII animation level overkill. It's not actually 35.1 vs 22.08 potency because a huge chunk of that 35.1 is never going to actually matter, while 100% of Neo Bahamut's potency does matter. Also, you're not factoring in Alphinaud's Legend Dive, which I did specifically mention in my original post, or his Record Dive. That's another +31% Summon damage which doesn't matter for Tiamat or Valigarmanda because they're going to cap anyway, but absolutely does boost Neo Bahamut's effective damage.

Also, once we get the updated dailies it becomes pretty trivial to hone any 6 star skill, so that's not really a valid counter-argument.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 21, 2017

• Locked thread