Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Iirc she was really good in Beloved too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DLC Inc posted:

honestly it kind of loving sucks that this book is being slathered in a coat of "EPIC MOVIE" paint

It's a multi-dimensional (intergalactic? I forget how that all worked since it's been decades since I read the book) adventure movie. If the word "epic" doesn't apply to something like that, then the word should just never be used again.

Hopefully kids read the hell out of the book / Madeleine L'engle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks loving dumb. Disney sucks rear end.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GrandpaPants posted:

It's a multi-dimensional (intergalactic? I forget how that all worked since it's been decades since I read the book) adventure movie. If the word "epic" doesn't apply to something like that, then the word should just never be used again.

Hopefully kids read the hell out of the book / Madeleine L'engle.

It's also been a long time since I read it, but I would not have described it as epic at all. The heroes are just some clever children looking for their father. There is a bunch of wild and fantastical stuff that they encounter, but I recall it as being a relatively small story much more about character development than any sort of overarching crusade for the fate of the universe.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ror posted:

It's also been a long time since I read it, but I would not have described it as epic at all. The heroes are just some clever children looking for their father. There is a bunch of wild and fantastical stuff that they encounter, but I recall it as being a relatively small story much more about character development than any sort of overarching crusade for the fate of the universe.

Yeah, from what I recall, the novel keeps things about as personal as possible given the extraordinary context for what's going on. I would not have expected quite this overblown a treatment.

I'm guessing we're not going to get the sequels where, for example, some of the family's other kids go back in time to the story of Noah and gently caress angels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So when are we getting a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of Nine Princes of Amber?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

viral spiral posted:

LOL Oprah going into Hollywood was the worst thing ever.
Really? Really? Like, we gave Sandra Bullock an Oscar. I think Oprah's fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

So when are we getting a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of Nine Princes of Amber?

There was news about it last year getting adapted for TV but I don't think anything else has come of it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A Winkle in Time’s fantasy/sci-fi elements were more surreal and trippy than epic, in my memory. A small and strange story, not a large scale adventure.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Really? Really? Like, we gave Sandra Bullock an Oscar. I think Oprah's fine.

Sandy's great, wtf?

I mean the Blind Side is one of the worst movies of the millenium, but that's neither here nor there.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why isn't the tagline for Rampage "THIS SUMMER....GO APESHIT"

The Pissed Ape Is Real

edit:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Pissed Ape Is Real

:golfclap:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

drat, they are tricking everyone again!

lol if you didn't read enough of this series to find out all the answers come from Jesus Christ

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Vintersorg posted:

drat, they are tricking everyone again!

I remember reading this in like 3rd grade and being so very confused.

I read the synopsis on wikipedia and I'm still confused

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember reading this in like 3rd grade and being so very confused.

I read the synopsis on wikipedia and I'm still confused

https://youtu.be/UhsCCQrCNAs

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Update on the DEN OF THIEVES German title saga: We've arrived at BAD JUSTICE - DIRTY JOB DIRTY COP. It's not final, as some marketing guys think it doesn't really represent "the movie's USP", but it might just make the cut anyway.

We had a screening last week: There's not a single dirty cop in this...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AlexF posted:

"They bathe far to often, Hans, where are these 'dirty cops'?"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

AlexF posted:

Update on the DEN OF THIEVES German title saga: We've arrived at BAD JUSTICE - DIRTY JOB DIRTY COP. It's not final, as some marketing guys think it doesn't really represent "the movie's USP", but it might just make the cut anyway.

This whole mini-saga is amazing.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
As a side note (this is the trailer thread after all):

There's two versions of the trailer at this moment. The long one that's posted on YouTube right now and a cutdown that's about 45 seconds shorter. Long one is approved for online and theatrical use, short one is theatrical only.

Our boss doesn't like the long version so he wanted to just use the cutdown for online as well. As is our duty we briefed him on the legal stuff which he accepted begrudgingly. We've now dubbed and mixed the whole long version when he had an epiphany:

"How about we cut 40 seconds from the trailer ourselves? Yeah...let's just do that! No need for approval from the US as it's our own version!"

*nathan-fillion-castle.gif*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

married but discreet posted:

This whole mini-saga is amazing.

It must sound more normal in German.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It must sound more normal in German.

Seeing as it's German, the title is probably one extremely elaborate word.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Might just be better off keeping the english title

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The whole thing is that they want an English title, just not the original one. AlexF is not posting a translated version of the new German title, that's the actual title.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's done a lot in Europe, I guess the thinking is that the original title is too hard to understand, but a title in the local language would sound bad.

Cruel Intentions (1999) being released as Sex Games in Denmark is my go-to example. Also called Sexual Provocation (Belgium), Seduction Games (Israel)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Something similar happened with Banlieue 13, which in the English release got the straightforward translation of District 13. Evidently that was not nearly catchy enough for German distributors, so they swiftly renamed it to Ghettogangz. :psyduck:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
"Hell before (in?) Paris", as well. Subtle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"in front" would be the accurate translation. Edit: ...said the man who had 2 years of French in school in a very bold manner.

Here's my favorite alternate title (the smaller one in case you don't remember) for the French market:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 27, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's "before" in the same sense as "I stand here before you"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

It's "before" in the same sense as "I stand here before you"

So, it's more along the lines of "Behold, the hell that is Paris"?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Adding to the german title thing, my favorite of these is the subtitle for Hot/Fuzz: "Zwei Abgewichste Profis". Which literally translates to "Two Jerked-off Professionals", with jerked-off being a weird riff on badass/hardass that no one I know has ever used in any context whatsoever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Proteus Jones posted:

So, it's more along the lines of "Behold, the hell that is Paris"?

Suburbs are called Vororte (fore-places) – they're the places you come to "before" you enter the city proper, or "in front of" the city when you look at it from afar.

So Die Hölle vor Paris is the hell just outside Paris, in other words a hellish suburb.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 27, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mierenneuker posted:

"in front" would be the accurate translation. Edit: ...said the man who had 2 years of French in school in a very bold manner.

Here's my favorite alternate title (the smaller one in case you don't remember) for the French market:

His boy is named Crazy Dad?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Does it help to imagine its a sequel to Billy Madison?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

It's done a lot in Europe, I guess the thinking is that the original title is too hard to understand, but a title in the local language would sound bad.

Cruel Intentions (1999) being released as Sex Games in Denmark is my go-to example. Also called Sexual Provocation (Belgium), Seduction Games (Israel)

Weird, I'm Belgian and I've never heard it referred to as Sexual provocation. It might have been a French language market thing. For Den of Thieves, I assume someone decided that 'den' is a fairly uncommon word and too difficult for the German market.

Also I'm really enjoying these behind the scenes looks at the industry in this thread.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

kanonvandekempen posted:

For Den of Thieves, I assume someone decided that 'den' is a fairly uncommon word and too difficult for the German market.

Pronouncing the Th is a specialized skill in German speaking countries, so unless you want your movie to be pronounced Den of Dieves or Den of Sieves you better change it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My favourite translation is Every Which Way But Loose, which in Danish is titled "Stewed Beef for Naughty Boys"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hakkesshu posted:

My favourite translation is Every Which Way But Loose, which in Danish is titled "Stewed Beef for Naughty Boys"
I think "Bad Boys" would be a more accurate translation. And stewed beef at least works in the sense that the literal translation is beat meat. So "Beat Meat for Bad Boys", which is also an excellent title.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/IkMb0ADSM5g

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There's only room on this planet for one king of animal adventure, and that's Pappy Road Rash.

Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkE9TVs6gI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Marvel has announced that the first Infinity War trailer will go up tomorrow.

• Locked thread