Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
For God's sake they're called tool-tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Game has problems, pirates, pacing, diplomacy, AI. Combat is going to be a love or it leave deal.

This reads to me as uh, "game bad"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The main menu buttons have hover...buttons?!? WTF?!? :cripes:

Krazyface posted:

No, they're hover-buttons =[ When you mouse-over "New Game" two new sub-options appear to the right, Quick start and Beginner. I didn't notice beginner when I first installed the game and just clicked on New Game. That being said, the hover buttons are more convenience than hiding info, at least in the context of the main menu. As one of the new players this weekend, It's really hard to get a solid run-down on certain mechanics, you kind of have to paint your own picture from guessing and tooltips. It'd really be nice to just have some rudimentary documentation, where it runs through (in paragraph-form) how certain things work and are to be done. Like manpower (despite reading this thread I thought it was local like food, not global like dust), goals, etc. I've been lucky with the pirates, but yea the underlying 4X game is disappointing, despite it having so much dang production & polish.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The very first time you play the game suggests and asks if you want to do the beginner's tutorial so...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The 3 tutorial levels where clearly marked "I've never played anything like this before", "I've played 4X games before" and "I know all about Endless Space". I chose the middle option, despite having played Endless games prior. poo poo's still a mess.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

victrix posted:

This reads to me as uh, "game bad"

Pirates you can turn off, very few 4x games have tolerable diplomacy, and no one has great AI. If those last two are how you define whether a 4x game is good or bad, you're never going to find a game to make you happy unless you're just playing multiplayer. Also I like the combat system.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

IIRC Endless Legend had a tutorial that was basically the first 10-15 turns of a game on rails, they really should have stuck with that for ES2.

I'd give my free weekend experience a 7 out of 10. I still got that sensation of "a few more turns, oh poo poo it's dark outside", but it was mostly fun even though I got my poo poo wrecked on Normal because I apparently don't have a clue how combat works.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, the art and story elements are so good that at $20, I think I still might throw down for the full game. Why not?

Caros
May 14, 2008

tinstaach posted:

IIRC Endless Legend had a tutorial that was basically the first 10-15 turns of a game on rails, they really should have stuck with that for ES2.

I'd give my free weekend experience a 7 out of 10. I still got that sensation of "a few more turns, oh poo poo it's dark outside", but it was mostly fun even though I got my poo poo wrecked on Normal because I apparently don't have a clue how combat works.

You haven't played a good 4x until your issue has been "a few more turns, oh poo poo, it is Light outside."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

tinstaach posted:

There is one. People keep skipping it though, because they think "I don't need the baby tutorial" except it turns out they totally do.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I played a lot of Endless Space 1, so I picked this up on sale but I'm having a really hard time figuring out what to research. Doesn't seem as straightforward as ES1.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I did the actual hand-holdy tutorial I think I understand it a lot more. Its too bad that it was never presented to me / it was not obvious that it was there.

Krazyface posted:

They are buttons hidden behind hovering over a button, meanwhile:

Det_no posted:

The very first time you play the game suggests and asks if you want to do the beginner's tutorial so...
It asks what level of a tutorial you want, not if you want to do a beginner's tutorial.

Serephina posted:

The 3 tutorial levels where clearly marked "I've never played anything like this before", "I've played 4X games before" and "I know all about Endless Space". I chose the middle option, despite having played Endless games prior. poo poo's still a mess.
Exactly. There is no documentation or way to read up on what all of the zillion icons look like or how anything works from a technical level.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not sure it's a game that can be learned quickly- all the nice music and art is there to make the horrifying learning experience as pleasant as possible!

Anyway, the tech wheel is certainly daunting. I guess the general rule is to keep each quadrant roughly balanced, to not neglect the earlier techs when the shiny expensive later ones come available, and to be aware of a handful of key technologies: the one that lets you hire heroes, the one that lets you found a trade route, the free movement tech. Oh who am I kidding, they're all important.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm not sure it's a game that can be learned quickly- all the nice music and art is there to make the horrifying learning experience as pleasant as possible!
I got a good laugh out of this, thank you.

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway, the tech wheel is certainly daunting. I guess the general rule is to keep each quadrant roughly balanced, to not neglect the earlier techs when the shiny expensive later ones come available, and to be aware of a handful of key technologies: the one that lets you hire heroes, the one that lets you found a trade route, the free movement tech. Oh who am I kidding, they're all important.
When I look at the tech wheel my eyes glaze over and about fifteen minutes later my brain decides that I am suffering from paralysis by analysis so I click something mostly at random and move on.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
yeah the tech wheel is like, it's cool that they decided to try a new spin on the old tech tree idea, but what they came up with is straight-up worse than the classic linear tech tree (or even EL's ages system, for that matter)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sounds like they've successfully made the pirates as much of a pain in the rear end as they were in ES1, so score one for consistency at least. Having them spawn off of minor faction worlds didn't make much sense, but at least it tended to keep them generally contained and manageable. Now they just seem to pop up anywhere, even on worlds you've already explored and which are in dead-end star lanes. Totally skews the early game peaceful expansion and exploration phase, because they'll probably be moving in next door to you 5 turns in, and then you have to focus on getting some military research done and military ships fitted out, and then you've skewed your politics towards military, which is already sort of unavoidable anyway towards mid-game, but I guess now it can start happening immediately. Hope you didn't want to focus on peaceful diplomacy!

Guess it's time to start treating pirates just like in ES1, which is turn the switch off and then ignore it forever.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sounds like they've successfully made the pirates as much of a pain in the rear end as they were in ES1, so score one for consistency at least. Having them spawn off of minor faction worlds didn't make much sense, but at least it tended to keep them generally contained and manageable. Now they just seem to pop up anywhere, even on worlds you've already explored and which are in dead-end star lanes. Totally skews the early game peaceful expansion and exploration phase, because they'll probably be moving in next door to you 5 turns in, and then you have to focus on getting some military research done and military ships fitted out, and then you've skewed your politics towards military, which is already sort of unavoidable anyway towards mid-game, but I guess now it can start happening immediately. Hope you didn't want to focus on peaceful diplomacy!

Guess it's time to start treating pirates just like in ES1, which is turn the switch off and then ignore it forever.

"pirates/bandits so strong they can defeat entire empires" is one of the weirder recurring strategy game tropes. whether historical or scifi or fantasy, everyone wants to throw in random criminals who have somehow created a massive professional military

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, it's weird that the pirates act way more like the Cravers than the Cravers themselves.
I quite like the challenge of the pirates, but the AI does seem uniquely bad at handling them. Maybe the devs need to smuggle a combat bonus for AI vs pirates into their code somewhere...

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Clarste posted:

There is one. People keep skipping it though, because they think "I don't need the baby tutorial" except it turns out they totally do.

I did the beginner game, it lets you do whatever you want in whatever order, and if you do something for the first time it sometimes pops up a window to explain to you what you did with some more info. It's very inconsistent.

I was going to post that understanding a lot of this stuff probably comes through experience and I only put a few hours into it this weekend, but I just checked and I put in 22 :smith:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The stupid tech wheel is almost exactly like in Endless Space 1 but with even more secondary mechanics bodged in (tier unlocks etc). I have absolutely no goddamn clue why they decided to take probably the most needlessly daunting thing about ES1 and emfucken it further, but them's the breaks, I guess. It's just a little sad to see considering EL's (still somewhat opaque but) vastly better and more accessible tech system.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, you can blame the early access people for that. Originally it worked exactly like EL's tech era system, but people complained that A) too many techs were mandatory for that to work well, and B) having tech eras in a sci-fi game felt weird and limiting. So they went for this hybrid system instead.

Personally I don't mind it at all, but I can definitely see how it's huge and meaningless for a new player. Also I hate the EL era system.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Clarste posted:

Okay, you can blame the early access people for that. Originally it worked exactly like EL's tech era system, but people complained that A) too many techs were mandatory for that to work well, and B) having tech eras in a sci-fi game felt weird and limiting. So they went for this hybrid system instead.

Personally I don't mind it at all, but I can definitely see how it's huge and meaningless for a new player. Also I hate the EL era system.

I thought the EL era system for tech was really good. It made it clear when someone was outracing you tech wise, unlocked progressively more difficult era challenges as the game went on, gave you a limited pool of techs to focus on at the start. It was really a big improvement over the Civ/ES style tech blob.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I like the ability to beeline for something in particular (or in a more flavorful sense "my civilization is really good at lasers"), so being forced to pick the least bad tech just to advance to era always felt icky to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Tech system was the same in ES1 if I remember right and it seems to work well enough. I'm not going to say it's perfect, but there's a very easy trick to it: check only the things you can research right now, that should be like ~10 things when you're starting out max. Pick one you want and can research *now*, not one that might seem super powerful to have right now but will take 20 turns to unlock and research. Worry about all that poo poo later when it opens up, or use search if you're looking for something specific (like "colonize lava").

First, because you'd have to read the entire trees right off the bat, second because a good tech now is far better than the best tech in 20 years. You can start making complicated research orders when you're playing on highest difficulties and poo poo like that might actually make a difference, and even then you might get hosed by planet types or starting next to cravers and having to tech military quick.

Also, I somehow have zero issues dealing with pirates. In my first game I got a bit surprised, but researching the first non-civilian hull and building 4 seems to be enough to break them real quick. Fit a bunch of missiles and use a long range tactic, you'll barely even take damage.

e: also super don't worry about falling behind in one of the trees. I often leave military tree almost completely untouched for the first 20 turns or so, and then when the need arises the first few critical techs clear in 2-3 turns and then you're almost up to speed.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 20, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Azran posted:

This is what I'm talking about by the way. Anyone got an idea what goes there?

I can check when I get back from work but I'm also still missing things from that book.

I love DotE, I hope they've got some more ideas for spin-off type stuff.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

These 4x alchemist guys are frustrating. First of all they disappeared. Five months ago they stopped posting on reddit, making videos, responding to youtube questions. They're just gone. Secondly all their guides are ludicrously out of date.

Like a thing I"m noticing is no matter what expert guide he uses he fires off probes in two directions and wow whoa look there's two systems with two planets each in both directions. Let's sit and talk about which is better for us in our short term plans based on what tier 2 planets are also there, but when I play it's like barrens toxics and gas giants everywhere. I have literally never seen a tier 0 planet in less than five jumps from my start.

They changed how the universe is populated so harshly I don't even know if it's worthwhile looking for strategies it's mostly start researching arids or get hosed with territory disputes.

He's got his 2nd quest scientist out on turn 8 and it took me 25 to get up there. Goddamn.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
e: missed a page, not pertinent.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I get the feeling that pirate bases never change the design of their ships (I could be wrong though.) So once you grab a hard counter for whatever they're carrying, things get much friendlier.

Here's another question that I can't settle on- is it best to have your starting hero as a governor, or as an unkillable scout admiral...?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's another question that I can't settle on- is it best to have your starting hero as a governor, or as an unkillable scout admiral...?

If you put them into a city they will do gently caress all until turn 20 when they level up once. If you put them in space and probe the poo poo out of anomalies you can throw them back into the city once they reach 3 soon after turn 9 and actually get some use out of them.

The guides I hate which are out of date said to always do that except in this one instance where your hero has a huge boost to industry without any levels but that guy got nerfed in half so I can't think of a reason to stick them in the system before turn 9 anymore.

I don't know poo poo about dick but I feel like I got a handle on this one thing, at least.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The starting Lumeris hero gives a nice little bonus to Dust generation early on, and they get two starting scouts with extra probes, so it's probably not a terrible idea to just stick him on your homeworld and leave him there to drink fish wine with whoever the hell that tittyfrog is on the faction select menu.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Krinkle posted:

If you put them into a city they will do gently caress all until turn 20 when they level up once. If you put them in space and probe the poo poo out of anomalies you can throw them back into the city once they reach 3 soon after turn 9 and actually get some use out of them.

Okay, that makes sense. Those early skills are pretty meh until they start stacking up.

Incidentally, does anyone else get the impression from the Lumeris loading screen art that the huge fat frog guy has just asked a deeply gross and highly specific favour of the nervous skinny fish man...? It's sort of unsettling.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I get the impression he's rich and powerful enough to get really fat off of blood worms while the skinny waiter is afraid of getting fired and starving without his dusty fish flake rations

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I colonized Auriga and it was a frozen husk and I think I need a hug you guys :(

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What? That can't be right. Auriga is a flourishing wonder-filled Utopia under the benevolent rule of the Drakken. It's got moss pearls and chromatic lands and everything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

What? That can't be right. Auriga is a flourishing wonder-filled Utopia under the benevolent rule of the Drakken. It's got moss pearls and chromatic lands and everything.

It's mostly dead in ES, and fully dead in ES2.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's mostly dead in ES, and fully dead in ES2.

Well, that's depressing. http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Auriga

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

It would have been cool if the United Empire had the occasional drakken or broken lord, even just in artwork or story things. Just to show that the last ship off of Auriga (canonically vaulters) carried a few heroes or immigrant pops off-world and integrated them into the UE.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chilling with my mage bros in the Virtual mainpainframe

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

It would have been cool if the United Empire had the occasional drakken or broken lord, even just in artwork or story things. Just to show that the last ship off of Auriga (canonically vaulters) carried a few heroes or immigrant pops off-world and integrated them into the UE.

It would have been cool if they hadn't picked the most boringerest human white bread faction as the canon winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, that would have been the 'Elves' of Auriga.