Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That probably be ok if they got the ratios right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

That probably be ok if they got the ratios right.

I look forward to seeing it as part of the extended rework.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Oh no that means it'll never happen

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the wand changes because inventory management can get really tedious.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Now just make all food into soylent (and killing monsters has a % chance of satiating you) and we're good

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Combining all fruit into one item but rotating the tile was a great idea.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Pacra posted:

SteelNeuron, did you read mibe's thoughts from IRC? https://pastebin.com/9FEfPJ88

Thanks for the link, it's pretty good feedback :). I talked to him about it (and I'm thinking about how to make Serpent's Lash + WJ clearer)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't agree with removing recharge. I always used recharge on one or two key wands - the holy trip of hw/haste/tp before removal, usually enslavement or invis after.

Being able to rely on enslavement because I had a couple ?recharge in my back pocket is something I'll miss.

Why do these changes have to be simultaneous? Why not just implement stacking for one version, see how things play out, and then remove recharge if it's really necessary?

Glad to see WJC is back in action.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Eela6 posted:

Why do these changes have to be simultaneous? Why not just implement stacking for one version, see how things play out, and then remove recharge if it's really necessary?

Because "crawl dev philosophy" is cut as much as you can get away with, say you'll do something later, then ignore it forever.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Speaking of removals, wands of lightning just got cut too :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

More people in this thread should play and talk about hellcrawl, imo. I've picked it up recently and it feels pretty good to play, though I definitely suck at it compared to normal Crawl and haven't even gotten a rune yet

You can play it on cbro!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my hydra killer!!!

That was probably the only time I ever used them.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

:shrug: Lightning Rod still exists so that's still sucky but not a complete shitshow (just four shots at a time)

e: Time to bring back Pakellas with a few mild tweaks, I think.

tweak Quick Charge to add a very tiny amount of charge to a wand (or scale the wands in "tiers" where lower tiered wands get more charges) or recharge the cooldown on other non-wand evocables (with variable cost based on how much recharge is needed)
replace Supercharge with Acquirement of Evocable of your Choice (so free Scattershot or Clouds probably, but these wands are the highest tier so quick charging them is costly enough to not be a cheap and easy infinite. Maybe one of the evocable staves?)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 21, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Archenteron posted:

:shrug: Lightning Rod still exists so that's still sucky but not a complete shitshow (just four shots at a time)

e: Time to bring back Pakellas with a few mild tweaks, I think.

tweak Quick Charge to add a very tiny amount of charge to a wand (or scale the wands in "tiers" where lower tiered wands get more charges) or recharge the cooldown on other non-wand evocables (with variable cost based on how much recharge is needed)
replace Supercharge with Acquirement of Evocable of your Choice (so free Scattershot or Clouds probably, but these wands are the highest tier so quick charging them is costly enough to not be a cheap and easy infinite. Maybe one of the evocable staves?)

Replace supercharge with the random acquisition of one of three wands: Haste, Heal Wounds, or Teleport.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

just remove everything up in my game fam.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Remember when wands of fire and cold were removed and we were told to use lightning wands instead :geno:

I mean honestly I hated lightning wands because they were inaccurate pieces of trash, but they were still useful in the early game when they actually hit. If all lightning wands got replaced with scattershot or acid then I wouldn't care but i don't see that happening here.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If they don't boost /acid's appearance rate a little to compensate then this is a Bad change imo

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

someone awful. posted:

More people in this thread should play and talk about hellcrawl, imo. I've picked it up recently and it feels pretty good to play, though I definitely suck at it compared to normal Crawl and haven't even gotten a rune yet

You can play it on cbro!

I've been playing it a bunch and enjoy it. The branches are really tough without stairs, still haven't even reached Hell yet. And it's a nice change of pace to read through a changelog without rolling my eyes. Here's a recent one that tickled my fancy
code:
 Move magical staves to the shield slot.

Major goal: enforce a tradeoff with defenses for spellcasting characters that want more power or spell success.
Minor goal: discourage excessive staff swapping.
Major goal: allow players to roleplay as Gandalf more effectively.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

someone awful. posted:

If they don't boost /acid's appearance rate a little to compensate then this is a Bad change imo

The weight was split between everything except for random effects, polymorph, and paralysis. So, technically it was boosted a little bit?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

Major goal: allow players to roleplay as Gandalf more effectively.

Doesn't that fool know all LOTR's influence needs to be expunged from Crawl???

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
So after splatting literal dozens of them, I finally have an OpCK going somewhere that isn't directly into an early grave. I've found basically no resistances except rPois despite clearing through D:15, Orc and Lair, so I'm not really sure where to go with this.

I could try Spider or Swamp, but I'm terrified without access to Statue Form or any real resistances. I do have Ice Form, which gives me rC+++, but probably does less damage than beating things with a +11 quarterstaff. Thoughts?

Current stats are here.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 21, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
If you're having trouble with hellcrawl: Skalds are basically MiBe tier, though you have to learn some spells instead of tabbing thru everything. All the starting spells are permabuffs, which means once you train enough charms/necromancy/whatever and get enough MP you can have everything online (Infusion, song of slaying, regeneration, ozocubu's armor, spectral weapon). Spells like death channel, invisibility and haste are all permabuffs that reserve your MP as well. It's as strong as it sounds, though some of them are *way* too strong at the moment If you can find it cigotuvi's embrace is a permabuff *and* it got improved from DCSS, it turns you into a fortress and it's kinda cheesy

brae
Feb 2, 2006
I've got a fun VSAs that just made it to Orc 2. I have enough for an okay ring (rF+, slay+2) and a Book of Battle, or a manual of Shields. So far I've been playing as short blades + stabber/long blades with high EV. The book seems like a fun choice but a decent XP investment to get online, and I've never really used Charms much aside from repel/deflect missiles. The manual seems like a more straightforward choice, though. Any advice?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

someone awful. posted:

This is definitely a Bad Change©, part of the Crawl Philosophy™.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

brae posted:

I've got a fun VSAs that just made it to Orc 2. I have enough for an okay ring (rF+, slay+2) and a Book of Battle, or a manual of Shields. So far I've been playing as short blades + stabber/long blades with high EV. The book seems like a fun choice but a decent XP investment to get online, and I've never really used Charms much aside from repel/deflect missiles. The manual seems like a more straightforward choice, though. Any advice?

Depends, do you have an available shield existing in your game? If so, put it on and train shields to 15, then go for Spectral Weapon while using Long Blades.

Speleothing posted:

This is definitely a Bad Change©, part of the Crawl Philosophy™.

I mean, it's still in trunk, so it's still being playtested. You can always give it a try and post your feedback, there's plenty of rough edges here to smooth out but it's a welcome change from the previous clusterfuck of wands.

I myself am not super convinced that the flavor of how this all works is quite correct, and would like to see more interesting wand choices besides the ones already existing, but it's a step in the right direction.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the flavor actually that the wands are in fact glomming into one

i just think of it as being similar to arrow-stacking, you have multiple wands they just fit in the same slot and for convenience their charges are presented in your inventory as one pool

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, I've got like, 3 races left to win with for greatplayer status and one of them is Mummy. I've tried so much to win the game with a Mummy for so long, but have never been able to do it, but I've got an absolutely ridiculous character running at it right now.

I feel like I cheated...

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Absolutely ridiculous? Let's see about that-
code:
+9 pearl dragon scales of Divine Intervention {rF++ rN+ MR+++ MP-9}
:stare:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Needs more slaying :)

good luck, post your mummy YAVP soon!

Are you sure you have 3 left?

Sequell posted:

<Sequell> Unwon species for kautzman: Centaur, Demigod, Felid, Ghoul, Gnoll, Halfling, Mummy, Naga, Ogre, Spriggan, Troll, Vampire

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pacra posted:

Needs more slaying :)

good luck, post your mummy YAVP soon!

Are you sure you have 3 left?

Crap 3. 7.... A lot. Man, I feel like I had a lot fewer left...

E: man, I feel like I had centuar and demigod and ghoul done - I wonder if that was all on local. Bad news for me regardless.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol j/k died to Mennes because I completely forgot about silence and since casting and reading requires you to speak, whelp...

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Mennas is WAY scarier than he has any right to be, especially as a race vulnerable to holy wrath. He completely ruined a great DsCK run I had going a while back by hitting me for ~40ish a turn for like five turns in a row.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

lol j/k died to Mennes because I completely forgot about silence and since casting and reading requires you to speak, whelp...

You should of just used your wand of teleport-

ah

well

hm :thunk:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mennas is bad news in almost any encounter. You fight him only in limited circumstances (tournament points, he's got a neat trishula you covet, you're stronger than a god) or stay the heaven away from him.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Strange that the crawl wiki would mention Mennas is named after a Catholic saint when other things were getting renamed left and right. :catholic:

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Strange that the crawl wiki would mention Mennas is named after a Catholic saint when other things were getting renamed left and right. :catholic:

It could be the editors of the wiki are akin to a PAC but for the politics of crawl development

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always thought Mennas was kinda OP. He can straight up kill you most of the time, and his special ability mostly just serves to remove your one real escape option. Always carrying a wand of teleport was the HOM solution, but that was lame. How do you get away from him now?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I always thought Mennas was kinda OP. He can straight up kill you most of the time, and his special ability mostly just serves to remove your one real escape option. Always carrying a wand of teleport was the HOM solution, but that was lame. How do you get away from him now?

Read ?Tele the second you see him and hope it puts you near a staircase. Seriously.

Which Crawl thread was Mennas 2 Society?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

A little piece of advice... you see Mennas - you do what we do.

Run... you run your rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Read ?Tele the second you see him and hope it puts you near a staircase. Seriously.

Which Crawl thread was Mennas 2 Society?

.11 I think

Mennas is BS because I have died exactly once to him, as a mummy on an open level where all three up stairs were right next to each other. I found him, ran back upstsirs, cleared as much as I could of the dungeon and was faced with "go through abyss and level to 27, then try to get past him" or "don't waste an hour leveling in the abyss and accept you'll probably die." I put tele on myself and went downstairs, then died after the tele put me 3 tiles away.

• Locked thread